IGNORED

Murray Testimonial?

I quite agree - and would happily attend such a game as long as the gate receipts went to charity and not the players bank accounts.

The players are already well looked after financially.

I agree that they are at the time of playing. Most football careers end mid to late 30's which means they have to compensate income for another 30 years. i don't have enough data either way but it seems a small price to pay for the appreciation to that of a well respected player who has brought the fans years of entertainment and enjoyment.

I agree that they are at the time of playing. Most football careers end mid to late 30's which means they have to compensate income for another 30 years. i don't have enough data either way but it seems a small price to pay for the appreciation to that of a well respected player who has brought the fans years of entertainment and enjoyment.

These guys earn enough in a few seasons at CCC level to retire comfortably in their mid thirties. Many of them live off their PFA pension and the interest on thier investments.

I know one ex-pro footballer who gets £2000 pm from his PFA pension.He retired in 1980. He lives very comfortably with that income and the interest on the dosh he saved during his career.

These guys earn enough in a few seasons at CCC level to retire comfortably in their mid thirties. Many of them live off their PFA pension and the interest on thier investments.

I know one ex-pro footballer who gets £2000 pm from his PFA pension.He retired in 1980. He lives very comfortably with that income and the interest on the dosh he saved during his career.

He retired in 1980 yet he's getting paid 24,000 per year pension? You sure about that? Thats probably more then he earned at the time.

He retired in 1980 yet he's getting paid 24,000 per year pension? You sure about that? Thats probably more then he earned at the time.

Absolutely correct information. He played for Chelsea for most of his career and is my brother in law.

100% agree.

I was just about to rant on about how testimonials are nothing more than a piss take of the fans.Why should we put our hard earned dosh into the pocket of an already well paid footballer? Most earn more in a week than most fans in 3 months.

If the proceeds from a testimonial were dedicated to charity then I wouldn't have a problem with them.

I would very much like to go a testimonial to show appreciation to both Carey and Murray - but not if my money is going into their pockets.

I quite agree - and would happily attend such a game as long as the gate receipts went to charity and not the players bank accounts.

The players are already well looked after financially.

I would hate to live in your world. Testimonials are the for supporters and the club as a whole to show their appreciation - if you don't want to show it don't go...

Footballers have short career and although Murray at times in his career would have been paid very well, he would have had very modest earnings most of his career - certainly not enough to last very long.

You really have no idea about the relationships footballers and fans in this country, which is surprising see as you were the SC chairman! in your world theres no pitch invasion after rare sucess, no testimonials, can we make noise and celebrate goals? And do you think the open day is pointless?? the players might get scared!!

I would hate to live in your world. Testimonials are the for supporters and the club as a whole to show their appreciation - if you don't want to show it don't go...

Footballers have short career and although Murray at times in his career would have been paid very well, he would have had very modest earnings most of his career - certainly not enough to last very long.

You really have no idea about the relationships footballers and fans in this country, which is surprising see as you were the SC chairman! in your world theres no pitch invasion after rare sucess, no testimonials, can we make noise and celebrate goals? And do you think the open day is pointless?? the players might get scared!!

Well said. It really boils down to, all arguments considered and if its for money or not, do you want to pay, turn up and show your appreciation or not...? For these two I would. Enough said....!!!

Guest Garfunkle
Well said. It really boils down to, all arguments considered and if its for money or not, do you want to pay, turn up and show your appreciation or not...? For these two I would. Enough said....!!!

and i wouldnt. Enough said....!!!

I wouldn't.

Anyway,think of Tinman and Flapper, it always ends in tears.

If it's just to show appreciation and not to do with a windfall for the players how about a joint evening for the stalwart duo in the DEH with videos of old matches, Q&A, fans playing darts matches against them etc, a few pints, and culminating in a standing ovation with personalised chanting. :chant6ez::dunno:

I wouldn't.

Anyway,think of Tinman and Flapper, it always ends in tears.

If it's just to show appreciation and not to do with a windfall for the players how about a joint evening for the stalwart duo in the DEH with videos of old matches, Q&A, fans playing darts matches against them etc, a few pints, and culminating in a standing ovation with personalised chanting. :chant6ez::dunno:

Originally testimonials was the last payment to retiring players who desperately needed the money. The money is even tax free. Today players don't need that money but still should have recognition for what they have done for their club. Organize a charity game for human rights, cancer treatment for children or similar on request of the player and make it his day. Let fans, former players and the managemet play instead of half sleeping prem wallets. End the day with hughe barbeque party on the picth. Nogbad is close to the future for testamonials. Bring on Scott!

Originally testimonials was the last payment to retiring players who desperately needed the money. The money is even tax free. Today players don't need that money but still should have recognition for what they have done to their club. Organize a charity game for human rights, cancer treatment for children or similar on request of the player and make it his day. Let fans, former players and the managemet play instead of half sleeping prem wallets. End the day with hughe barbeque party on the picth. Nogbad is close to the future for testamonials.

I wouldn't want to live in your world...... :rofl2br:

Hey! If you want to give an already wealthy footballer your money then thats upto you. :doh:

Me and many others would willingly give money to charity to attend a testimonial. They need it far more.

Here here,

No one "forced" either of them to leave the club - they followed the golden cow

Why should we now put more money in their very well lined pockets?

Remember its THE FANS who PAY for testimonial not the club

The club can reward with bonus and new contracts

louis didnt want to go his agent was the greedy one louis never wanted to leave he is bristol city thro and thro

Archived