IGNORED

Build It With Soul, And They Will Come

Blagdon red

• SC&T Board Members

Publication of new stadium survey results

The ST presented four bound copies of the new stadium survey results to the club on May 19th. Now that CS and his team have had time to digest the findings, we are pleased to publish these in full for everyone to read.

In total over 2,800 fans took part in the survey and the main report runs to 55 pages. There is also an appendix that is not much shorter full of comments that fans added in the area provided at the end of the survey. They make very interesting reading.

A summary of the results and links to PDF copies of the two documents has now been published on the Supporters Trust website:

Build it with soul, and they will come

We believe the report has been received with great interest, as the club has since asked for more copies. We have also been asked to meet with CS and his stadium project team shortly to go through the findings.

Naturally, it is unlikely to be possible for everything highlighted in the report to be incorporated in the new stadium design. However, we hope that the findings help to inform the decisions taken by the club and its architects over the coming months and that by conducting the survey we have helped to ensure that fans' views are taken into account in this project.

The Trust have done a marvellous job on the survey. Lets hope that its more than just a paper exercise and that its findings are taken into consideration. Only then can the club truely claim that they listened to the fans.

The bottom line is that there will be a dedicated budget for the stadium and its limit will determine what features can and cannot be afforded.Hopefully the budget will stretch far enough to avoid corners being cut.

Interesting report, I'm sure the club will take notice.

The problem is the design, if you don't have a bowl and go for something like in this design, it costs so much more. Can we afford it? The only teams to really have a unique design 30,000+ is Arsenal (loaded) and Man City (Commonwealth games). Hull shared the cost with the Rugby team and the Reebok is actually quite small. You see our problem.

Secondly, we need something that could potentially be expanded, and not a great cost. I'm no architect, but the design in the report is a 30/35,000 seater and it seems to not lend itself easily to redevelopment. Yeah, fill in the gaps but it doesnt provide alot more. At least the souless bowls can have another tier wacked on ala Sunderland.

But the problem then is, more seats and revenue verses a unique stadium? Glad I'm not deciding. But if I was and I was paying, I would want to make back as much money as possible!

I just don't think we should get our hopes up for some kind of amazing design, but would love to be proved wrong.

that is a flippin fantastic piece of work. I used to work in Market research and know how hard it is to get all these messages across from a load of numbers. Beautifully presented, interesting reading, compelling argument.

Well done the Trust.

What a stadium that would be! I know they're only pictures, but just imagine......

• SC&T Board Members
to be honest although the report is extremely good work surely the stadium will be exactly how SL visualises it!!

Actually, that's one thing that SL has admitted he's not that good at doing ... he said at the last Q&A session he's not the artistic type and likes other people to provide input on that side of things. So hopefully this report and One City's pics may help him to imagine what could be possible.

I'm liking those pictures. If it looks anything like that then I would be well chuffed.

The pictures are great, looks a lot like the Valley, which i was very impressed with as it looked good, and there was a great atmosphere there. I'll be happy if it's going to be anything like this. Well done to those who took part in the survey. :clapping:

If our new stadium ended up looking like the images on that page, I'd have no problem with that whatsoever!

I especially like the idea of a mini replica suspension bridge on the back of one of the stands!

Excellent idea I reckon, and nothing but thumbs up from me! :worship2:

What an outstanding piece of work. The Trust on its own has shown a professionalism far in excess of the Gas Board while the club deserves credit for facilitating the process and engaging the fans, again in contrast to the dark side. :clapping:

The problem is the design, if you don't have a bowl and go for something like in this design, it costs so much more. Can we afford it? The only teams to really have a unique design 30,000+ is Arsenal (loaded) and Man City (Commonwealth games). Hull shared the cost with the Rugby team and the Reebok is actually quite small. You see our problem.

That's a myth though. If Cardiff can build a new four-stand structure when flirting with bankruptcy then we certainly can.

I'd be delighted if the actual ground came off like in those pictures. It looked the nuts and with quality acoustics, plus the potential for a safe standing quota to be in place by then, this really could a flagship for the whole region.

Top work ST. :clap: Lets just hope they listen to us for once now. :fingerscrossed:

Awesome, top drawer - well done to all involved. Strong messages coming accross with clarity and succinctness.

No need for a development brief, just give the architect that and tell him to get on with it Mr Chairman (please).

That's a myth though. If Cardiff can build a new four-stand structure when flirting with bankruptcy then we certainly can.

I'd be delighted if the actual ground came off like in those pictures. It looked the nuts and with quality acoustics, plus the potential for a safe standing quota to be in place by then, this really could a flagship for the whole region.

Top work ST. :clap: Lets just hope they listen to us for once now. :fingerscrossed:

That is absolute rubbish, it is not a myth at all, and it is proved by the fact that the only teams to build new stadiums that are not soul less bowls are the ones I have mentioned above. You quote cardiff....well if this is not a soul less bowl I don't know what is

http://www.cardiffcitystadium.co.uk/index....6&Itemid=44

All new stadiums are soulless as they have no history or memories behind them

I don't think anyone could name a newly built stadium that has 'soul'

the survey simply tells us what we already know.

these new stadiums look like Asda, the Arse stadium is a fine example of this. £380m not well spent.

asking for a stadium to be built with a good atmosphere, soul, cauldron on match day etc is all very well, but with respect, these things cannot be designed by a draughtsman or architect, how do you calculate for this in the plans exactly?

with health and safety and available funding it will be impossible to get precisely what fans want, we don't have the resources to mega spend on this and even if we did its no guarantee.

That is absolute rubbish, it is not a myth at all, and it is proved by the fact that the only teams to build new stadiums that are not soul less bowls are the ones I have mentioned above. You quote cardiff....well if this is not a soul less bowl I don't know what is

Bowls are definately cheaper but not by as much as your making out.

As for Cardiff, that looks like an enclosed ground to me but with separate stands. Now I'm no architect so I can't read the plans too well but all that link shows me is that it's enclosed.

This is really impressive report and congratulations must go to everyone involved in its collation and production.

The release of the report is also very timely especially given events transpiring (or rather, not transpiring) this week in BS7.

One thing that does surprise me a little is the number of home games watched (to April 12th) by respondents to the survey. 36.3% of people completing the survey watched 20+ games at AG, yet 44.6% watched under 10 games (page 51, Q45). Of course, it very likely that our loyal band of exiles contribute greatly to this number. Whatever the reason, it certainly doesn't invalidate the results but it just seemed to me an odd skew to the figures and not one I expected to see.

I was particularly impressed by the drawings showing what the ground could look like. I was overwhelmed by the "Suspension Bridge" feature which would be so great to see become a reality. Thanks to the Trust for producing such a professional response.

That stadium is similar in design to the one put forward by the Trust (drawn up by OneCity) in that it has the appearance of a bowl from the outside but has distinct separate stands internally.

I'm not being funny, but what is the difference between a bowl stadium with seperate stands inside and a bowl stadium with seating all the way around?

Why is this

better than this?

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...l%3Den%26sa%3DN

I'm not saying we should have a bowl stadium, I am simply saying that we have to face facts. Look at what other clubs around us have done, Southampton, Leicester, Coventry, Stoke etc. All the same

I suggest if you don't want a stadium like that then you start calling for us to stay at the gate, because your living in a dream world if you think ours will much more individual than any of those.

Bowls are definately cheaper but not by as much as your making out.

As for Cardiff, that looks like an enclosed ground to me but with separate stands. Now I'm no architect so I can't read the plans too well but all that link shows me is that it's enclosed.

If they are not so much cheaper why aren't there more individual new stadiums being built? All the new stadium in the last 10 years look the same. The only ones that can claim to be individual have massive financial backing (i.e as mentioned Man C and Arsenal) or are only 15/20,000 seaters therefore have more money to spend on design (i.e Southend - which is basically still a bowl)

Publication of new stadium survey results

The ST presented four bound copies of the new stadium survey results to the club on May 19th. Now that CS and his team have had time to digest the findings, we are pleased to publish these in full for everyone to read.

In total over 2,800 fans took part in the survey and the main report runs to 55 pages. There is also an appendix that is not much shorter full of comments that fans added in the area provided at the end of the survey. They make very interesting reading.

Virtute et Industria...........

A fantastic effort. :winner_third_h4h:

Interesting report, I'm sure the club will take notice.

I don't think building a 'unique' stadium would neccessarily cost the earth. If you want to know how Arsenal afforded their's then go and take a look at where Highbury used to be and also their ticket prices!

I think new stadia in this country are improving...both Hull and Coventry have unique features and bowls like St mary's and Leicester's crisp bowl hopefully are a thing of the past.

We also have the bloke who helped design Wembley advising us...

We've got time on our side and a nice plot of land to build on without major planning restriction so let's go for it

I'm not being funny, but what is the difference between a bowl stadium with seperate stands inside and a bowl stadium with seating all the way around?

When you have four separate sides, doesn't it mean that no stand is far away from the pitch as it can be in bowls - particularly the two ends, where you want to be close to the goal line? ('though I can't Spot The Difference between the two pics!)

Archived