IGNORED

If Only He Was Here Now

petehinton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Dean

He ^^ Would be the answers to our prayers!

5'10 and half his goals are headers

just look at his goal scoring record

A great record no doubt but in the days when Dean played you could score a goal by shoulder charging the 'keeper over line.

These days 'keepers are over grossly protected and had they had the same protection back then Dean wouldn't have scored so many.

He was an astonishing player and would walk into any team in any era.

As well as being allowed to challenge keepers, Dean also played in an era where a defender could go through him from behind, elbow him and generally knock him about for 90 minutes without getting sent off.

The fact he scored so many goals without any of the protection modern day footballers enjoy is quite incredible.

anyone read about the bit where it says he was so good that the opposition would try and take him out and provoke him ? It says Dean never got angry/physical against an apposition member in any game,never once getting yellow carded or sent off

in one challenge he also lost a testical

Play him up front with Brian Clough then eh?

His actual playing record gets lost with his managerial triumphs but he scored 251 in 274 games before injury ended his career :noexpression:

anyone read about the bit where it says he was so good that the opposition would try and take him out and provoke him ? It says Dean never got angry/physical against an apposition member in any game,never once getting yellow carded or sent off

Christ, that must of been one horrific challenge :pinch:

Yes Dean was one hell of a player apparantly, but look closer to home. We had one of a similar ilk once. Read his book and admire, Mr John Atyeo....if only HE were here now.

Coveted by Liverpool, but loyal till the end he stayed with his beloved City.

Hope you are looking down and smiling on us big John.... :pray:

Guest MaloneFM
Coveted by Liverpool, but loyal till the end he stayed with his beloved City.

And Harry Dolmans wallet made sure of his loyalty.

William Ralph Dean hated the name Dixie. It was given to him because he was dark skinned (not black) and had black curly hair and was likened to a deep south Dixie minstrel. He actually chose the name 'Digsie' for the way he used to dig other players in the ribs during traning sessions.

He suffered a lot of injuries, as it was the only way people could stop him, and he was 'reported' to have lost one testicle in an operation following a tackle in his Tranmere days. So no one can confirm or deny it either way.

A similar story relates to Elisha Cook the Liverpool goalkeeper and whom Dean called 'the greatest goalkeeper I ever played against'. After a hard fought derby during which Cook kept out a barrage from Dean all afternoon, Dean met Cook on the monday walking through town. Dean nodded in recognition and Cook threw himself into the road to save an imaginary incoming header.

At the height of his goalscoring, the marking was getting ridiculous. So much so, that Dean ran off the field during play, his marker asked where was he going Dean replied "For a pee, you coming or what?"

Dean didn't like fuss but when the Pathe News a popular feature in cinema's at the time wanted to film him, they said they would have to put powder on his face to take the shine away. Dean said " I'll put a shine on your face, mate, if you think you're going to put powder on my bloody face."

Before a match, Dixie would have only a glass of sherry mixed with two raw eggs.

After a game at Spurs, Dean was the last to walk off and a fan shouted to him "We'll get you yet, you black bastard!" A policeman overheard this but was pushed aside by Dean saying "It's alright officer, I'll handle this" Dean jumped over to the fan and punched him sending him flying. The policeman who saw the incident winked at Dean and said "that was a beauty but I never saw it officially." Eat your heart out, Eric Cantona!

Dean once scored a total of 18 goals in nine consecutive games.

Dean would walk into his favourite pubs around Walton and Scotland Road and buy all the old folk a drink. Dean got married to a girl called Ethel Fossard in the summer of 1931 and spent their honeymoon on a tour of racetracks around Britain. They had three sons and a daughter. Sadly none of the lads took up football. They rented a house off Everton FC not far from Goodison.

In the 1932-33 season, Everton played Chelsea in a game that at half time the players just turned around and kicked off again due to fading light. There were no floodlights then. Everton won that game 7-2; Dean scored four with his head.

Dixie Dean is the only English player ever known to walk off after a England v Scotland game to a standing ovation at Hampden, he was that good.

The great American baseball player of the time, Babe Ruth, whilst in London made a point to meet Dean to shake his hand. Such was the reputation of the great man.

When the Legend fell to ill health, best wishes were sent to him from all over the world . Some would be addressed simply to 'Dixie Dean, England.' and they would find there way to their destination. Everybody knew who Dixie was, not at least the Post Office.

In November 1976, Dean had a thrombosis and amputation of his right leg was the only alternative. Dixie would joke he had been in more theatres than Morecambe and Wise

Dean died from heart failure in 1980 at Goodison Park, Everton's home ground, whilst watching a match against their closest rivals, Liverpool. Liverpool won the match 2-1. In 2001, a statue of Dean was erected outside the Park End of the stadium carrying the inscription, "Footballer, Gentleman, Evertonian

Bring back 'Ask Uncle Roger' I say...

And Harry Dolmans wallet made sure of his loyalty.

William Ralph Dean hated the name Dixie. It was given to him because he was dark skinned (not black) and had black curly hair and was likened to a deep south Dixie minstrel. He actually chose the name 'Digsie' for the way he used to dig other players in the ribs during traning sessions.

He suffered a lot of injuries, as it was the only way people could stop him, and he was 'reported' to have lost one testicle in an operation following a tackle in his Tranmere days. So no one can confirm or deny it either way.

A similar story relates to Elisha Cook the Liverpool goalkeeper and whom Dean called 'the greatest goalkeeper I ever played against'. After a hard fought derby during which Cook kept out a barrage from Dean all afternoon, Dean met Cook on the monday walking through town. Dean nodded in recognition and Cook threw himself into the road to save an imaginary incoming header.

At the height of his goalscoring, the marking was getting ridiculous. So much so, that Dean ran off the field during play, his marker asked where was he going Dean replied "For a pee, you coming or what?"

Dean didn't like fuss but when the Pathe News a popular feature in cinema's at the time wanted to film him, they said they would have to put powder on his face to take the shine away. Dean said " I'll put a shine on your face, mate, if you think you're going to put powder on my bloody face."

Before a match, Dixie would have only a glass of sherry mixed with two raw eggs.

After a game at Spurs, Dean was the last to walk off and a fan shouted to him "We'll get you yet, you black bastard!" A policeman overheard this but was pushed aside by Dean saying "It's alright officer, I'll handle this" Dean jumped over to the fan and punched him sending him flying. The policeman who saw the incident winked at Dean and said "that was a beauty but I never saw it officially." Eat your heart out, Eric Cantona!

Dean once scored a total of 18 goals in nine consecutive games.

Dean would walk into his favourite pubs around Walton and Scotland Road and buy all the old folk a drink. Dean got married to a girl called Ethel Fossard in the summer of 1931 and spent their honeymoon on a tour of racetracks around Britain. They had three sons and a daughter. Sadly none of the lads took up football. They rented a house off Everton FC not far from Goodison.

In the 1932-33 season, Everton played Chelsea in a game that at half time the players just turned around and kicked off again due to fading light. There were no floodlights then. Everton won that game 7-2; Dean scored four with his head.

Dixie Dean is the only English player ever known to walk off after a England v Scotland game to a standing ovation at Hampden, he was that good.

The great American baseball player of the time, Babe Ruth, whilst in London made a point to meet Dean to shake his hand. Such was the reputation of the great man.

When the Legend fell to ill health, best wishes were sent to him from all over the world . Some would be addressed simply to 'Dixie Dean, England.' and they would find there way to their destination. Everybody knew who Dixie was, not at least the Post Office.

In November 1976, Dean had a thrombosis and amputation of his right leg was the only alternative. Dixie would joke he had been in more theatres than Morecambe and Wise

Dean died from heart failure in 1980 at Goodison Park, Everton's home ground, whilst watching a match against their closest rivals, Liverpool. Liverpool won the match 2-1. In 2001, a statue of Dean was erected outside the Park End of the stadium carrying the inscription, "Footballer, Gentleman, Evertonian

Bring back 'Ask Uncle Roger' I say...

Great post Uncle Rog.

don't like the tone ofthe first line though. Big John would have been loyal no matter what, i'm sure of that. Like Dean, he was never sent off or even booked. A gentle giant and if he had played at Dean's level, who knows what he would have achieved, more England caps for sure.

Guest MaloneFM

Now then young Matthew. Come sit on uncles boney old knee a while.

See the great JA was indeed a hell of a player and Harry Dolman knew this. And he was tempted by Chelsea. VERY tempted. But Harry paid for his college education and slipped him the occasional tenner or whatever to keep him happy. Including as I remember buying him a car. This is common knowledge and was very usual for clubs to do this for popular players before it became a part of the entertainment industry.

Uncle often visits a pub ran by someone called Paul Cheesely who older members may remember as being rather good and he has made no bones about the fact that if he had not been clobbered by Peter Shilton which ended his career and Liverpool or whoever came calling, if the money looked good, he was off.

As for gentle giants look up John Charles. A player who was supposed to be Leeds through and through but went to Juventus.

Charles: "As a family, we weren't what you would call sophisticated back then. Had I heard of Turin? I doubt if I'd heard of Italy when Juventus came in for me. It was a complete culture shock because in Leeds I'd been a bitter-shandy man, suddenly I was presented with red wine at the pre-match lunch. The first time I was faced with a bowl of spaghetti it went everywhere but down my bloody throat."

Charles may have been a messy eater in those early days, but in the No 9 shirt he was both a physical colossus and a gentleman; even the fans of Juventus' bitter city rivals Torino worshipped him.

"I didn't set out to win them over but in my first Turin derby I beat the centre-half but accidentally struck him with my elbow and knocked him clean out. I only had the goalie to beat but it didn't seem fair so I kicked the ball out for a shy so the fella could have treatment."

He also called the refreee over during the same game and told him off for not booking him when he felt he had challenged an opposition player unfairly and fouled him.

Now then young Matthew. Come sit on uncles boney old knee a while.

See the great JA was indeed a hell of a player and Harry Dolman knew this. And he was tempted by Chelsea. VERY tempted. But Harry paid for his college education and slipped him the occasional tenner or whatever to keep him happy. Including as I remember buying him a car. This is common knowledge and was very usual for clubs to do this for popular players before it became a part of the entertainment industry.

Uncle often visits a pub ran by someone called Paul Cheesely who older members may remember as being rather good and he has made no bones about the fact that if he had not been clobbered by Peter Shilton which ended his career and Liverpool or whoever came calling, if the money looked good, he was off.

As for gentle giants look up John Charles. A player who was supposed to be Leeds through and through but went to Juventus.

Charles: "As a family, we weren't what you would call sophisticated back then. Had I heard of Turin? I doubt if I'd heard of Italy when Juventus came in for me. It was a complete culture shock because in Leeds I'd been a bitter-shandy man, suddenly I was presented with red wine at the pre-match lunch. The first time I was faced with a bowl of spaghetti it went everywhere but down my bloody throat."

Charles may have been a messy eater in those early days, but in the No 9 shirt he was both a physical colossus and a gentleman; even the fans of Juventus' bitter city rivals Torino worshipped him.

"I didn't set out to win them over but in my first Turin derby I beat the centre-half but accidentally struck him with my elbow and knocked him clean out. I only had the goalie to beat but it didn't seem fair so I kicked the ball out for a shy so the fella could have treatment."

He also called the refreee over during the same game and told him off for not booking him when he felt he had challenged an opposition player unfairly and fouled him.

Uncle, let me sit upon your knee awhile. Please change that farkin avatar. How am I supposed to look into your cold dead eyes?

Guest MaloneFM

There is always room on uncles knee for you, you little bugger!

I shall change the avatar as soon as someone realises he has his willy out!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Dean

He ^^ Would be the answers to our prayers!

5'10 and half his goals are headers

just look at his goal scoring record

Indeed.

Think Mr. Dean however and as a life-long closset Evertonian upon these shores I feel qualified enough to pronounce that that gentleman had a degree of honour and class to him, much like our very own John Atyeo.

Young Wayne, no matter his natural talent or abilety isn't fit to lick these Mens boots. Imo.

Guest MaloneFM

Which begs the question WHOM is the present day John Charles, Bill Dean or Bobby Charlton?

The ability plus the temprament.

Before I hear the word Basso remember how lary he gets? Stowell restraining him from clouty Fishy Fowler against Crapdiff.

So....?

Which begs the question WHOM is the present day John Charles, Bill Dean or Bobby Charlton?

The ability plus the temprament.

Before I hear the word Basso remember how lary he gets? Stowell restraining him from clouty Fishy Fowler against Crapdiff.

So....?

They don't exist anymore i'm afraid. All modern day footballers are just a bunch of filthy mouthed prima donnas who are wrapped in cotton wool and told that the nasty referee deserves the mouthful of bile that is aimed at them when they book players for trying to break the opposition players leg, in my opinion.

Notwithstanding that, Ryan Giggs is the closest to the aforementioned players that i can think of.

The closest i can think of would be Thierry Henry. Generally played the game with a smile on his face and, please correct me if i`m wrong, i don`t recall ever hearing about any off field antics. His talent was/is unquestionable.

PDG

What about Dennis Bergkamp. He must be close aswell to the others. Was a quality player fortunately got to see him a few times, never heard much from him off field and even when not playing didnt hear anything. Only downside didnt he get sent off a couple of times for Arsenal? if my memory is correct

What about Dennis Bergkamp. He must be close aswell to the others. Was a quality player fortunately got to see him a few times, never heard much from him off field and even when not playing didnt hear anything. Only downside didnt he get sent off a couple of times for Arsenal? if my memory is correct

Yeah,got that goal against Newcastle on video from when the prem higlights were on ITV and called 'The Premier League' not MOTD on BBC

Ian Wright said that when he came to Arsenal it was like the Messiah had arrived

Couldn't imagine playing with him

Think Giggs and Bergkamp are appropriate representatives. Also like to add Owen (and Scholes) to that camp, assuming modern £££ is allowed to destort our verdicts. Appreciation for the post there malonio...

For a recent day City representitive on all round honour, decency and gentlemanship, I for one would like to nominate Mickey Bell.

Archived