IGNORED

Anyone Left From Yeovil Who Gary Hasn't Signed?

Redhyde

I mean we were linked to Davies, but McIndoe is better, Darren Way wouldn't be needed + the doubts over his injuries, Jevo's been and gone..so is that it for the ex yeovils for us then?

There is a more serious side to this thread - namely that Johnson does like to sign players that he knows, despite the difference in standard to when he knew them - if you see what I mean.

The question is - why?

Is it because as some fans think that Johnson has a fear of 'big name' players? Maybe his management style doesn't sit well with experienced players who have perhaps played under other successfull managers who have a very different way of going about things.

Its widely accepted that with Johnson its very much 'my way or the highway' and whilst some players respect that style of management others don't and do not always respond in a favourable way. Perhaps these are the players that Johnson avoids.

Maybe thats why City are looking abroad. Foriegn players are not likely to question an English manager if they haven't played in England before.It would all be new to them.

Dunno.... :dunno: but food for thought.

Its widely accepted that with Johnson its very much 'my way or the highway' and whilst some players respect that style of management others don't and do not always respond in a favourable way. Perhaps these are the players that Johnson avoids.

don't see it as an issue, more of a major positive, widely the case with alot of VERY succesful managers.....Capello, Sir Alex, Jose to name a couple

don't see it as an issue, more of a major positive, widely the case with alot of VERY succesful managers.....Capello, Sir Alex, Jose to name a couple

No doubt that its a major positive when you have the stature of Cappello, Sir Alex and Mourihno. But they have all proved that their way is the most successfull way by winning trophies and league titles time and time again at the highest level.Their track record speaks for itself.

If Johnson can prove the pundits and bookies wrong by taking City up next season then maybe thats the first step in him becoming a nationally respected manager. After promotion he'd have to keep unfancied Bristol City up - maybe untill we become an established Prem club like Blackburn.That could take several seasons of playing decent football.

Of the current squad only Terry Skiverton but he's Yeovil's through and through and their version of Loius Carey and is more League One than Champ standard now IMO.

Long term don't rule out Aaron Davies or Chris Cohen if things don't work out at Forest GJ certainly brought through Davies and I believe had some late influence with Cohen.

some interesting points above - my thoughts are that i worry as great as GJ is i feel there is a possibility the he may be a one trick pony hope i'm totally wrong but think his view in january was honourable but proved wrong and to keep going back to Yeovil days is poor although players moved up surely bcfc should be looking higher than this??

Don't get me wrong i thinkg GJ is great but one or two doubts creeping in that were not there before.

COYR

There is a more serious side to this thread - namely that Johnson does like to sign players that he knows, despite the difference in standard to when he knew them - if you see what I mean.

Give it up man :tumbleweed:

The question is - why?

Is it because as some fans think that Johnson has a fear of 'big name' players? Maybe his management style doesn't sit well with experienced players who have perhaps played under other successfull managers who have a very different way of going about things.

Maybe thats why City are looking abroad. Foriegn players are not likely to question an English manager if they haven't played in England before.It would all be new to them.

I don't see the importance of 'big name' players. What matters is having players who do the required job for the team.

Lee Johnson was a massive influence in our promotion season, and has in my eyes Championship ability, and McIndoe was a huge part of our near promotion to the top flight.

Gary Johnson is a proven winner, and he signs players with that same attribute. If a player he knows inside out is signed, we should rejoice.

Finally, Williams was a Prem player in the making before injury, and could still prove to become a 'big name' player. If not, it's a cheap and worthy gamble.

Top words ribs, we can talk all we want. Johnson has delivered. amazing stuff, it was a shame to miss out though. I'm worried that people's expectations will be too high for next season.

what do you think the expectations should be??

• Admin
Perhaps consolidation and building for the PL?

That may be sensible based on what experienced Championship fans have told me on various fora about the infamous "Second season syndrome."

We have a fairly decent start so if we can hit the ground running and pick up some early points like we did last season the confidence will be there to go on and (at least) repeat what we did last season (& maybe better it).

Blackpool away - losing all their better players and surely certs to finish rock bottom.

Derby home - buying players like their money has a use-by date on it. Will take time to gel. Great time to play them.

Coventry away - been a bit of a lucky ground for us in the last couple of years. 4-0 is the next in the sequence isn't it?

QPR home - another team that may take a while to gel (plus they have a shite manager).

I'd be looking at 8-10 points from these games with 12 not completely out of the question.

The question is - why?

Could it be a value-for-money thing perhaps ? (and I can't help thinking that SL would be a value-for- money man par excellence ).

For example, the Nick Carle deal (sorry to bring that name up again) was brilliant buying considering his potential and

I am sure the City must have made a handsome profit on the deal.

Similarly ,GJ's explorations in Egypt, where you would consider that a favourable deal might be made, despite predictable difficulties with the local clubs.

I mean we were linked to Davies, but McIndoe is better, Darren Way wouldn't be needed + the doubts over his injuries, Jevo's been and gone..so is that it for the ex yeovils for us then?

A 'source' tells me the tea-lady who always brought GJ a steaming cup of PG Tips and a couple of Garibaldis, is pondering an offer of a two year contract with her agent.

The question is - why?

I think he must have known when he was at Yeovil that they were players capable of playing at a much higher level. He managed to attract a few players with Championship potential to join his Conference side but would have known that he would lose them if they started showing that potential. Sure enough, most of the ex-Yeovil players we've signed did leave for a higher level and when Johnson reached that level himself he knew he could get them back and they'd be good enough.

There are question marks as to how much further those players can go and whether Gary can find players with Premier League potential who'll join a Championship side. Whilst it's only one example, I'd suggest the fact that Gary identified and recommended Marian Parhars to Southampton suggests that he does know a Premier League quality player when he sees one so I'm confident he'll be able to do it.

The question is - why?

None of the ex-Yeovil players he's brought to City have stepped up a level in doing so, though. So he already knew they could make the grade at the level we were playing at.

Chris Weale had already proved himeslf at League One level when he joined.

Lee Johnson was playing for SPL side, Hearts, so was more than capable of playing in League One.

Phil Jevons had already shown he could score goals at League One level.

Michael McIndoe had already proved he could perform in the Championship.

Gavin Williams has played in the Premier League and the Championship for several seasons.

He's signed them because he not only knows their characters, but also knows they can play at the level his side is at. It's not like they've spent the interim period in the conference and he's brought them in just because he likes them.

I'd very much hope they are the sort of players he avoids. If they don't respond to his management style in a favourable way, I don't want them at the club either.

I think he's looking abroad because strikers in this country are hugely overpriced.

The question is - why?

Maybe a modern day Brian Clough?

Like Johnson, he spent big, on Shilton and Trevor Francis, but he signed loads of "unknowns" - Wasn't Garry Birtles his squash partner? Many others weren't household names before Clough dragged Forest to the 1st Division summit.

And, furthermore, he was very much a "my way, or highway" manager, who coincidentally failed at Leeds, reportedly because of the "big name" players inability to accept him and his ideas.

Everything Johnson has done thus far has yielded success. Let us not question his abilty.

A 'source' tells me the tea-lady who always brought GJ a steaming cup of PG Tips and a couple of Garibaldis, is pondering an offer of a two year contract with her agent.

GJ's just found out the tea lady used to call him Garibaldi behind his back and the deal is now off. :noexpression:

Archived