IGNORED

Anyone Left From Yeovil Who Gary Hasn't Signed?

Redhyde

Why change his policy? He likes to sign players with a point to prove. Its bought him success so far so why change? It reminds me a bit of what Brian Clough did. Lets be honest taking fading Premier League stars on high wages isnt the way forward id rather us continue to sign future Premier League stars like Basso and Marv.

GJ's just found out the tea lady used to call him Garibaldi behind his back and the deal is now off. :noexpression:

on footballtealadyrumours.com they said she was holding out for a new strainer, a better tea caddy and a stash of shortbread.....I hate these close season rumours............... :innocent06::innocent06:

There is a more serious side to this thread - namely that Johnson does like to sign players that he knows, despite the difference in standard to when he knew them - if you see what I mean.

The question is - why?

Is it because as some fans think that Johnson has a fear of 'big name' players? Maybe his management style doesn't sit well with experienced players who have perhaps played under other successfull managers who have a very different way of going about things.

Its widely accepted that with Johnson its very much 'my way or the highway' and whilst some players respect that style of management others don't and do not always respond in a favourable way. Perhaps these are the players that Johnson avoids.

Maybe thats why City are looking abroad. Foriegn players are not likely to question an English manager if they haven't played in England before.It would all be new to them.

Dunno.... :dunno: but food for thought.

I would say Trundle is a fairly big name, used to lots of publicity and pretty high profile. I also think he was accustomed to getting his own way at Swansea.

Johnson has managed him brilliantly, even keeping him happy when his form wasn't good enough to be selected.

I would say Trundle is a fairly big name, used to lots of publicity and pretty high profile. I also think he was accustomed to getting his own way at Swansea.

Johnson has managed him brilliantly, even keeping him happy when his form wasn't good enough to be selected.

Trundle was not a big name outside of Div 1.Before this season Trundle hadn't played any higher than Div 1.

Trundle was not a big name outside of Div 1.Before this season Trundle hadn't played any higher than Div 1.

Trundle is a player that every football fan in the country has heard of.

His regular appearances on Soccer AM and trademark showboating gave him a high profile.

I also understand he had image rights and bonuses at Swansea.

At 31 he is experienced, and unlikely to alter his attitude/personality/way of playing.

Therefore, although I take your point about not playing higher than League 1, I do think he is a big name, and someone who has been managed very well.

Second season syndrome it most certainly appears to be

Harrumph :disapointed2se:

If you were expecting us too even come close to last year then you must be seriosuly dilaudid.

If somebody would have said you would be sitting mid-table come december i think most REALISTIC city fans would settle for it.

We payed £1 million for him, after scoring 86 goals in156 games (+ 17 as sub). For us he has started just 29 (+27 as sub) games scoring 8 goals. How do you want that? £35,000 per starting performance, £125,000 per goal, and at 31, he is not likely to improve significantly - I would hardly class that as 'well managed', more like 'poor value buy'!

If you were expecting us too even come close to last year then you must be seriosuly dilaudid.

If somebody would have said you would be sitting mid-table come december i think most REALISTIC city fans would settle for it.

depends.......if it had been to average performances and being inconistent, win one, lose another, then fair enough

if it had been due to a very good start then a totally and utter collapse that has instead happened, I don't think too many would have been happy, which at the moment, many arent', things are slightly more positive after Swansea game, however at the moment we are not mid-table looking ok in patches, we are mid-table looking down and looking slightly worried.

oh and the only remaining ex-yeovil I would sign would be Chris Cohen..but I don't think he actually played under Gary.

A few things to get into perspective speaking from afar folks :

All the discussion in the world about whether the ball crossed the line yesterday won't get the ref or the League to award it. It just distracts us from much more important matters.

By the common consent of just about everyone except maybe ourselves, the Championship last season was very poor. The only class act ( until Hull at the end ) were West Brom and even they were erratic. We were a bit flattered therefore to be where we were. This season is very different - Wolves, Birmingham, Sheffield United and several others are very strong. The truth is that our position now is about where we - and others - expected us to be last season before it started, and should not be a surprise now given the above. Our squad overall is pretty much the same - with a few minor exceptions our players and our team are not significantly better, worse, older or younger - so there's no real reason why, assuming the overall standard of the Championship HAS significantly improved this season, we should assume we should be up there again..

What does follow from that though are two things : 1/ we should have taken our chance last season 2/ we won't get a second opportunity without significant improvement to the squad. Sorry but I do hold GJ responsible here. The retreat to Route 1 football was disastrous to our bid to clinch promotion - especially the debacle at Stoke - but it doesn't seem most of the time that GJ has learned this season from what worked and what didn't last season. Tinkering with leaving a player out here and bringing in a similar one for a single game - hoping something turns up like Dickens' Mr Micawber - seems about the extent of his imagination. No room certainly for flair or wide players other than cameos from Trundle or Noble ( both of whom we know can score ) etc..

Likewise whereas we often got lucky last season with sitting on a 1-0, surrendering the midfield and inviting teams to come at us, this season we're not. But again we are stuck in the old mindset even though the world has changed.

I'd love to see GJ do a Clough and win promotion on the back of unsung heroes from the Academy or bargains from Yeovil or Forest Green. But in today's overpaid world it ain't sadly likely to happen. And that's where GJ, SL and all of us have to decide what we want - mid-table mediocity in the second tier ( on average our natural place over the last 100 years ) or to go for the top. Going for the top means (in any season other than last season) not adopting Route 1, buying in and playing flair players, managing the prima-donnas and their agents rather than not signing them in the first place or casting them to the reserves whenever they say the first thing the manager doesn't like, knowing who your best players - and goalscorers are - and playing them, and keeping onside with the fans who expect a bit more entertainment than they've been dished up recently.

Archived