IGNORED

Recommend A Car

Drew Peacock

I am looking for a new car, anything up to £40/£50k.

It has to look good and make me want to get in and drive, even if I don't want to go anywhere.

Really struggling with the petrol/diesel thing.

2 seats, 4 seats, estate car, 4x4, don't care.

New or secondhand (but not too secondhand).

To give you some idea, current thoughts are Alfa Brera, Alfa Spider, Audi A5 or S5

Looked at Jag XF, don't like it, soft top XK maybe, but would be secondhand.

And if the players feel like contributing, I don't want a VW, oops, sorry a Bentley.

As the saying goes - your thoughts!

I am looking for a new car, anything up to £40/£50k.

It has to look good and make me want to get in and drive, even if I don't want to go anywhere.

Really struggling with the petrol/diesel thing.

2 seats, 4 seats, estate car, 4x4, don't care.

New or secondhand (but not too secondhand).

To give you some idea, current thoughts are Alfa Brera, Alfa Spider, Audi A5 or S5

Looked at Jag XF, don't like it, soft top XK maybe, but would be secondhand.

And if the players feel like contributing, I don't want a VW, oops, sorry a Bentley.

As the saying goes - your thoughts!

Have you thought about a Porsche 911. You could pick up Carrera Coupe or a Cabriolet for that sort of money. 3600cc 4WD triptronic, a real drivers car.

Or a low mileage Aston Martin DB7 , a 2008 nearly new Mercedes SLK 55 AMG.

Couldn't lend I a few bob could you? :innocent06:

Who needs a Porsche when you're hung like a horse!

Aston Martin is a very good shout.

Hadn't thought of AMG Merc.

Any AMG Mercedes - if you've got the dosh to buy it - will give you maximum street cred. The Mercedes SL Class would be my buy for the money you've got.

800px-Mercedes_SL500_AMG.jpg

If you fancy a sports car you can pick up a Noble M400 a couple of years old for £40-50k, or go classic and try a F355 8-10 years old for the same sort of price. A BMW M6 can be had for the same sort of price as well. For something a bit more sedate - a Maserati Quattroporte maybe?

Very nice cars indeed, is it possible to find a nearly new Audi R8? I know they're £70k+ new, but for one that's only 6 months old i'd imagine you could get around £50k and they are rare and gorgeous. Otherwise, stick with the Merc as previously suggested.

I'll bring the barrier down too (for us not quite so wealthy). I'm just about to order my new company car, price range between £15k-£20k, must be from new. I'm 25, got a Mrs but no kids at present, so don't really need practicality, although would be helpful for running Golden Hill about on a sunday!

Audi A3 1.9tdi?

VW Golf GT Sport 2.0tdi 170ps?

Vw Golf match, loaded with extras and DSG transmission on the steering wheel?

What would any of you suggest? Ordering by the end of this week!!

Nibor - M6 is butt ugly though.

Noble is a very good option.

If you can wait (and I would) Nissan GTR when it comes out is what I would go for.

To throw another option in a TVR?

You know what TVR stands for don't you...Towing Vehicle Required.

No BMWs especially M spec ones, they're nerds who want to talk about how many gearbox settings their cars have.

The GTR is a top shout, that will eat most thing for breakfast, good looking too

No BMWs especially M spec ones, they're nerds who want to talk about how many gearbox settings their cars have.

Agreed. But not for the reasons you mention. look at the badge for gawds sake!

Very nice cars indeed, is it possible to find a nearly new Audi R8? I know they're £70k+ new, but for one that's only 6 months old i'd imagine you could get around £50k and they are rare and gorgeous. Otherwise, stick with the Merc as previously suggested.

I'll bring the barrier down too (for us not quite so wealthy). I'm just about to order my new company car, price range between £15k-£20k, must be from new. I'm 25, got a Mrs but no kids at present, so don't really need practicality, although would be helpful for running Golden Hill about on a sunday!

Audi A3 1.9tdi?

Gaffer - how many miles do you do a year? Is the company paying for your fuel? Does it have to be Diesel?

If it is a Diesel then you are right going for a VAG engine as they are by far and away the best (and actually return the fuel economy they are supposed to). However I'd look at Skoda or SEAT as the same engine but more likely more toys AND cheaper for you as the list price will be less for P11D purposes.

If it doesn't have to be a diesel I would be looking very carefully at LPG cars (can get them factory converted)

P.S A Golf Match, good god man you're not a coffin dodger!

For a new car if fuel prices are a consideration and you're doing a lot of miles you can't go far wrong with the golf 2.0 TDI. You can get 45+mpg out of them without any effort and top 50 on motorways. They're pretty quick too - they've got the wrinkles out of the turbos so you don't get the typical diesel lag. DSG transmission wouldn't excite me, just another thing to go wrong - the VW/Audi automatic gearboxes aren't quite as good as the Merc ones either.

Audi A3 1.9tdi?

SEAT Leon FR.

Badass

Cheers for the replies fellas, nice to know i'm not totally in the wrong ball park here!

Gaffer - how many miles do you do a year? Is the company paying for your fuel? Does it have to be Diesel?

Don't do that many miles, and the company doesn't pay for my fuel. Therefore the efficiency is pretty important for me. It doesn't have to be diesel, but i think i'd prefer that.

If it is a Diesel then you are right going for a VAG engine as they are by far and away the best (and actually return the fuel economy they are supposed to). However I'd look at Skoda or SEAT as the same engine but more likely more toys AND cheaper for you as the list price will be less for P11D purposes.

Really like the look of the Seat Leon, but for some reason it's the only make of cars not on my choice list! Still, if i was pushed i'd go for VW anyway.

If it doesn't have to be a diesel I would be looking very carefully at LPG cars (can get them factory converted)

Cheers, but LPG doesn't float my boat, and as i wont directly own it, not a great deal of value for me.

P.S A Golf Match, good god man you're not a coffin dodger!

I only said the Match as it had the transmission!!! GT sport with it was just outside budget! If the match is not designed for us young, er, trendy types, then i'll rule that out!

For a new car if fuel prices are a consideration and you're doing a lot of miles you can't go far wrong with the golf 2.0 TDI. You can get 45+mpg out of them without any effort and top 50 on motorways. They're pretty quick too - they've got the wrinkles out of the turbos so you don't get the typical diesel lag. DSG transmission wouldn't excite me, just another thing to go wrong - the VW/Audi automatic gearboxes aren't quite as good as the Merc ones either.

Good to see you're pretty impressed with the golf, i was surprised to see the write ups compare much more favourably than the audi a3. And i should have some cash left over!

I'm test driving the DSG later on, and i'll let you know what i find, but the more i think about it, the more i am leaning towards the normal 2.0tdi GT Sport. Especially as it's got free leather upgrade throughout at the minute!!

As James May correctly pointed out on Top Gear a couple of weeks ago - a SEAT Leon is a VW Golf under the bonnet.

In my opinion Leon's look better (more sporty), you get more gizmo's as standard, and in the FR's case it's pretty much the fastest diesel in it's class.

I beleive a new SEAT FR is right in your budget at around £18,000.

As James May correctly pointed out on Top Gear a couple of weeks ago - a SEAT Leon is a VW Golf under the bonnet.

In my opinion Leon's look better (more sporty), you get more gizmo's as standard, and in the FR's case it's pretty much the fastest diesel in it's class.

The Golf gt 2.0 tdi is slightly quicker.

The Seat looks better on the outside but the interior is far better in the Golf.

The prices are better on the Leon though.

It's so much of a muchness you could even let a bird pick.

Aye true, like Skoda i suppose. The problem is the depreciation, SEAT is cheaper and with more gizmos because it loses its value compared to a true VW, in that respect its worth buying a VW. SEAT is always going to be a SEAT, Spanish crap.

I once bought a new Armani suit for £100, problem was it wasn't really Armani, it was real Armani material, but made in some shop by local Malaysians, they were insistent it was the same as Armani, exactly the same, but if it was then why did they only charge me £100 when new it was £1500? ..... because its fake. SEAT is a fake VW, don't ever get suckered into by their sales pitch, when you come to resell it no one will want it because its simply a SEAT.

Aye true, like Skoda i suppose. The problem is the depreciation, SEAT is cheaper and with more gizmos because it loses its value compared to a true VW, in that respect its worth buying a VW. SEAT is always going to be a SEAT, Spanish crap.

I once bought a new Armani suit for £100, problem was it wasn't really Armani, it was real Armani material, but made in some shop by local Malaysians, they were insistent it was the same as Armani, exactly the same, but if it was then why did they only charge me £100 when new it was £1500? ..... because its fake. SEAT is a fake VW, don't ever get suckered into by their sales pitch, when you come to resell it no one will want it because its simply a SEAT.

What a load of rubbish. Just because something has a badge on it doesn't change it's performance. A Thai tailored suit can easily be a better quality suit than one made by Armani. The price of the material is a very small part of armani's cost. Their overheads, marketing & design departments all jack up the price. It's exactly the same with most engineered products from cars to TVs. VW can make all the design breakthroughs they want but Seat, Skoda and the like have cottoned on to reverse engineering and can copy

Seat Leon Hatchback 2.0 TDI FR 5dr will go from £17,945 to £6,750 whilst a Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.0 TDi 140 GT Sport 5dr will go from £19,110 to £7,945. A difference of £30 for comparable cars.

Car Depreciation

Seat Leon Hatchback 2.0 TDI FR 5dr will go from £17,945 to £6,750 whilst a Volkswagen Golf Hatchback 2.0 TDi 140 GT Sport 5dr will go from £19,110 to £7,945. A difference of £30 for comparable cars.

Car Depreciation

The FR compares with the 170 Golf not the 140 but anyhow I doubt depreciation is important to Gaffer since it sounds like he's getting a company car.

Frankly I'd prefer the leather interior and the VW badge to the SEAT but there's little difference.

The FR compares with the 170 Golf not the 140 but anyhow I doubt depreciation is important to Gaffer since it sounds like he's getting a company car.

Frankly I'd prefer the leather interior and the VW badge to the SEAT but there's little difference.

Good debate going on here, cars will always be an emotive thing and there is no right or wrong in my opinion.

I've gone for the 170 Golf 2.0 tdi with the leather interior but not the DSG nonsence. As it is a company car, strangely the lower value after 4 years becomes more attractive because i could buy the car at a lower price. I'm pleased with the choice and thank you all for input.

If it was my own money, i'd consider the SEAt more, but for the next four years i will become a VW owner! :superman:

The Golf gt 2.0 tdi is slightly quicker.

The Seat looks better on the outside but the interior is far better in the Golf.

The prices are better on the Leon though.

It's so much of a muchness you could even let a bird pick.

Just ordered a Golf GTI TDI 2.0. 140bhp.Black with leather seats. I test drove the 170bhp version but its was such a brute that I felt that 140bhp would be plenty.The Golf I have now is 150bhp but a newer version with 10bhp less will give me the same performance.

Wouldn't been seen as a passenger in any Seat.

The VW badge makes all the difference imo.

What a load of rubbish. Just because something has a badge on it doesn't change it's performance. A Thai tailored suit can easily be a better quality suit than one made by Armani. The price of the material is a very small part of armani's cost. Their overheads, marketing & design departments all jack up the price. It's exactly the same with most engineered products from cars to TVs. VW can make all the design breakthroughs they want but Seat, Skoda and the like have cottoned on to reverse engineering and can copy

Car Depreciation

A badge is everything, and yes it does change the performance, it changes everything entirely.

Because the badge represents whats the car stands for, its history, its previous models. Reputation is built on the past, cars, suits, electronics, everything.

A badge is a gauge of how good an item is, its your guarantee you are buying quality.

And tbh, ive driven SEATS, they are ###### shit, i mean really shit and you can never get away from the fact you are driving what is essentially a tinny Spanish can, yes i would maybe hire one in Malaga if thats all they had and for some reason i was unfortunate to be in Spain, but you would have to get me shitfaced to actually part with hard British currency for one.

If people think buying a SEAT is the same as buying a VW you are deluded, there is a reason they are cheaper, a very good one. :laugh:

If the badge is so important then why not recommend an Audi A3?

I hate to break it to you, but a VW badge is hardly going to turn heads...

In a car I'd look for appearance and what's under the bonnet. A SEAT Leon Type R for example basically has an Audi TT engine under the bonnet. And it looks better than a dull looking, common, diesel Golf...IMO!

Guest MaloneFM

Buy an Audi. Any Audi.

And resemble a gynocologists clinic. Please don't ask me to explain that one it's been so very long since the last ban.

I hate to break it to you, but a VW badge is hardly going to turn heads...

In a car I'd look for appearance and what's under the bonnet. A SEAT Leon Type R for example basically has an Audi TT engine under the bonnet. And it looks better than a dull looking, common, diesel Golf...IMO!

Not so sure about that. The VW badge indicates reliablity and quality and when you see it on a Golf TDI it doesn't have to turn heads - you can see it straight ahead of you when its gone past you. Golf's are relatively common because they are what people want.

As for the Seat - what does that indicate other than poor Spanish trash? I'd hide down in seat if I ever had a lift in one.

Archived