IGNORED

Recommend A Car

Drew Peacock

Audi RS4 is your answer my friend! Absolute stunner of a motor.

That is on the list, maybe the cabriolet.

I believe there is a RS5 on its way. That sounds interesting, but I may not be able to wait that long.

While we are talking about badges, a little message to LT and Mr McIndoe - a Bentley is only a VW with a different badge!

That is on the list, maybe the cabriolet.

I believe there is a RS5 on its way. That sounds interesting, but I may not be able to wait that long.

While we are talking about badges, a little message to LT and Mr McIndoe - a Bentley is only a VW with a different badge!

yep, it the Phaeton isn't it ? thats the VW version of the silver spur iirc. Pretty much the same car with a differnt chassis, and the less expensive bits.

Generally it's all the little bits that make the car expensive, rather than anything major, like on certain High performance cars which are basically the same as something else in terms of engine and chassis, but things like ceramic brake discs, which cost about 20k a pop.

With all the VAG cars they are basically the same just priced differently depending on make, A top noth Skoda Octavia is really almost exactly the same as a similar specced A6, same engine, same chassis, slightly different bodyshell, same goes for the Pasat, they are the same car, the only reason the extra money is worth it is for the badge, and when you get to the Quattro and S audis.

If you care about badge you wouldn't buy a VW, as Audi always have been better and a far more prestigious make, same as you'd buy a VW over a Seat, Skoda, even though there is so little difference it's untrue.

With cars i think it all comes down to looks and what you prefer, I personally much prefer the look of the Leon over the Golf, but a lot of people prefer the look of the golf over the Leon.

As long as it's fun to drive and you like the looks then thats all that matters. I love my Cooper, would have prefered an S but then i'd be paying almost as much for insurance as i would for the car, but hopefully in a couple of years i'll be able to afford at least to get a Cooper S or hopefully a Cooper works, i much prefer the look af the new Mini to anything else for similar money.

With all the VAG cars they are basically the same just priced differently depending on make, A top noth Skoda Octavia is really almost exactly the same as a similar specced A6, same engine, same chassis, slightly different bodyshell, same goes for the Pasat, they are the same car, the only reason the extra money is worth it is for the badge, and when you get to the Quattro and S audis.

Although VAG do build cars on common platforms that's not entirely true.

An Octavia shares a chassis with a Leon, Golf, TT or A3.

A Skoda Superb shares a chassis with an A4 and a Passat.

There's nothing else on the same platform as an A6 AFAIK.

The Bentley, A8 and the Phaeton all share a chassis too.

The differences between cars on the same platform are cosmetic but the differences between cars on different platforms are significant and obviously the higher class platforms are rated for the bigger engines. Drive an Octavia estate and an A4 avant with the same engine and the difference is pretty obvious.

If you care about badge you wouldn't buy a VW, as Audi always have been better and a far more prestigious make, same as you'd buy a VW over a Seat, Skoda, even though there is so little difference it's untrue.

If you care about badge it's just a question of budget - Skoda -> Seat -> VW -> Audi - how far up the brand foodchain can someone afford to be? An A3 is a five grand premium over a Golf for a similar spec, a Golf is only about a grand over a SEAT so its a bit of a sweet spot which explains it's popularity.

With cars i think it all comes down to looks and what you prefer, I personally much prefer the look of the Leon over the Golf, but a lot of people prefer the look of the golf over the Leon.

The thing I always think of is - what do you spend more time doing? Looking at the car or sitting inside it? Myself as long as it's not ugly I'm not too bothered about the exterior but there's nothing worse than an uncomfortable or cheap looking interior and crappy lightweight plastic switches that break easily. That's why the superior interior build quality and the free leather upgrade would mean me going for the VW.

Guest MaloneFM
Buy an Audi. Any Audi.

And resemble a gynocologists clinic.

I'm still with you on this one uncle. If you have got that much to chuck about buy something with class for the sake of the lord. Audis, BMW 4 wheel drive, the same with the Porsche 4 wheel drive. Just screams beller.

Lexus. What about a Merc? Only a saloon. Or an estate. 2nd hand Bentley. Something that shows you are used to this kind of thing.

Although VAG do build cars on common platforms that's not entirely true.

An Octavia shares a chassis with a Leon, Golf, TT or A3.

A Skoda Superb shares a chassis with an A4 and a Passat.

There's nothing else on the same platform as an A6 AFAIK.

The Bentley, A8 and the Phaeton all share a chassis too.

The differences between cars on the same platform are cosmetic but the differences between cars on different platforms are significant and obviously the higher class platforms are rated for the bigger engines. Drive an Octavia estate and an A4 avant with the same engine and the difference is pretty obvious.

If you care about badge it's just a question of budget - Skoda -> Seat -> VW -> Audi - how far up the brand foodchain can someone afford to be? An A3 is a five grand premium over a Golf for a similar spec, a Golf is only about a grand over a SEAT so its a bit of a sweet spot which explains it's popularity.

The thing I always think of is - what do you spend more time doing? Looking at the car or sitting inside it? Myself as long as it's not ugly I'm not too bothered about the exterior but there's nothing worse than an uncomfortable or cheap looking interior and crappy lightweight plastic switches that break easily. That's why the superior interior build quality and the free leather upgrade would mean me going for the VW.

You sure about the Octavia being on the same chassis as the golf? it's one hell of a lot bigger and is Skodas big saloon, very similar in size to the Passat, and from a distance looks very similar, always thought it was Skodas Passat.

I agree when it comes to interior, but if you think a car is plain fugly or just not that nice looking then you are unlikely to buy it no matter how good the interior, i have never liked the look of the golf don't know why just don't, would still have one over a lot of cars though, but i'd much prefer a Megane or Clio sport (the standard ones are ugly as hell) to a Golf. and a mini over all of them until you get to more practical saloon cars :)

Leather interior appeals to me about as much as a slap in the face, i have half leather interior in my Cooper and thats the furthest i'd go, test drove a few with full Leather in April when i bought it, and it was horrible in the heat, for me you may as well just smear glue on the seat, but i do agree with all the extra bits you can get in more prestigious makes of car, another reason i love my little mini, as i have load of stuff on a car that is on an 04 plate that my mate has on his Z4, and plenty of things my mate doesn't get with his new 1 series, like run flat indicators, heated front windscreen, auto wipers, onboard computer etc, and the newer ones have the BMW auto start stop feature, which i have been told is a bit wierd but very useful.

Yes interior matters and if you have the money then you are always going to go for the best you can get, if you have 50k to spend on a car, it would be an odd decision to go for a Seat, Skoda or VW, you'd be looking at BMW's, Audi's and Merc's, and personally i'd put merc well above the other two if i had the money. But as long as it's not complete crap i'd say weather you like the look of the car is more important as long as the interior is alright. It's like TVR's look georgeous but may as well have been built by a troop of blind monkeys for all the build quality you get, friend of mine had one and it was nothing but trouble, even had his soft top rip it's self off while going down the motorway, yet people still buy them and spend a lot of money on them.

You sure about the Octavia being on the same chassis as the golf? it's one hell of a lot bigger and is Skodas big saloon, very similar in size to the Passat, and from a distance looks very similar, always thought it was Skodas Passat.

Yeah, they're not quite that big and it's a cheaper platform. The Octavia is generally a hatchback (there are some estates) and it's considered in the same class as like a Focus, Astra etc. The Superb is the bigger one. I'll never buy one though - it doesn't matter how good they get, the stigma still sticks from the time when they were the quintessential crap car.

Yes interior matters and if you have the money then you are always going to go for the best you can get, if you have 50k to spend on a car, it would be an odd decision to go for a Seat, Skoda or VW, you'd be looking at BMW's, Audi's and Merc's, and personally i'd put merc well above the other two if i had the money. But as long as it's not complete crap i'd say weather you like the look of the car is more important as long as the interior is alright. It's like TVR's look georgeous but may as well have been built by a troop of blind monkeys for all the build quality you get, friend of mine had one and it was nothing but trouble, even had his soft top rip it's self off while going down the motorway, yet people still buy them and spend a lot of money on them.

There were two guys asking after cars and the SEAT, Skoda, VW recommendation was for Gaffer who had a £20k limit for a company car. If I was spending what Drew is thinking of on a motor I'd definitely get the Noble :)

What you need is a '67 shelby mustang cobra gt500.

the one in gone in 60 seconds

if your looking for a shelby.....forget vintage, had a sit down in the 08 Shellby GT-H a few weeks back in the states.......what a car!!!

sftola0518yr4.th.jpg

costs about $60k US Dollars, so within your budget.......street cred glory....

just don't ask how many mpg it does!

Any top of the range Skoda........... one day all VW's will be buit like that :)

Mines just a basic 'classic' ............. but boy what a work horse...... the plush ones are even better.

You have to start from the point where you need to a get a full five piece drum kit in it, so I'd go for an estate

Oh how I laugh at all the jokes...... but went from a top of the range Ford 24v Cosworth Scorpio to where I am now

So think on ;) ...... :)

To those who think a VW badge matters, it's a VW which is basically a SEAT and a SKODA under a different body shell.

Other way around mate, Seat and Skoda were jointly the laughing stock of the motoring world and were taken over by VW.VW saved what were ridiculously poor quality comapanies by using thier excellent reputation and technical nouse to improve them.

Its right to say that Seat and Skoda are both designed and made by VW but why buy an imitation VW when you can have the real thing?

I have a VW and although i consider it alot higher quality than the peugeot's, fiats and Renaults of this world i've had so many problems with it i can't exactly feel "proud" of the badge nor the car.

I have just bought a Hyundai Coupe SE and although Hyundai in general is awful the Coupe is a car that is highly rated and my dad has been driving it for 3 months as my insurance doesn't switch over for the Hyundai until August 22nd and he loves it, although i supposed your all talking about buying a car from new, which i didn't do of course.

Picked up my latest Golf GTI TDI last thursday. 2.0 140bhp and took it upto East Yorkshire over the weekend. The journey up the M5, M42, A46, M1,M18 and A19 took 6hrs 30 mins due to a delay at J7 on the M5 and weight of traffic on the M42. I averaged 49mpg.

Coming back - a free run, took 4.5 hours to travel 253 miles. I still managed to average 46mpg.Not bad for a 2.0 performance car.

VW rules!

Archived