IGNORED

Bullys Rear Their Ugly

I'm new... to posting anyway. I read the boards for quite a while before I ever registered to post. Everyone's been polite to me and no-one has shouted down my opinions. Until now, anyway.

By the way, Basso is overrated and we should let him go for free ;)

I'm new... to posting anyway. I read the boards for quite a while before I ever registered to post. Everyone's been polite to me and no-one has shouted down my opinions. Until now, anyway.

By the way, Basso is overrated and we should let him go for free ;)

Welcome DR. Good points well made, so keep it up.

I think you will only get shouted down if you post outrageous views, opinions or suggestions so your looking good so far.

P.S. Basso is so overrated that we should offer another club money to take him off our hands.

If some people are in fact "brought up" with text speak, surely it is for their benefit that they learn to write in real words?

I'd like to believe you - I hate text speak and find reading "real" words so much easier.

But the truth is that the English language is constantly evolving and is currently undergoing its most dramatic change ever. There's a whole generation of text speaking kids being bought up that know a language that is faster to type and therefore more efficient to use.

Old farts like us will hold it back a bit by insisting that the business world uses long-worded current English, but eventually the txt kiddies will win - language is like a microcosm of evolution at work.

I actually don't mind TXT-speak as such as long as the person typing appears to have some notion of reality behind the speak. I've seen to much of the emo-dramatic statements in CAPS like...

ZOMG LIEK THAT WOZ GR8! BCFC BBQPWNED!!!!! GIEF STRKR NOW PREMSHP KKTHXBAI!!111!!!

I'd like to believe you - I hate text speak and find reading "real" words so much easier.

But the truth is that the English language is constantly evolving and is currently undergoing its most dramatic change ever. There's a whole generation of text speaking kids being bought up that know a language that is faster to type and therefore more efficient to use.

Old farts like us will hold it back a bit by insisting that the business world uses long-worded current English, but eventually the txt kiddies will win - language is like a microcosm of evolution at work.

I don't believe that text speak is, or ever will be, popular enough to evolve the whole language. It is just laziness and only has one place of use - mobile phones. We will never see the day when books are translated into text for the benefit of the reader. Text speak only benefits the writer (and that is only if he/she is extremely lazy), the day will never come when writing in that way will help the reader. Surely if you can read text speak nonsense then you can read real words - or in other words, you need to be able to read real stuff to even begin to understand txt.

Yo-Yo's, cool? :shocking:

They were to nine(ish) year olds, especially when they have cool flashy lights, a cool little clutch/motor thing and make cool sounds! :cool2:

Afternoon Chaps

An emotional moment for me, my first post after reading the forum for years in my spare (working) time in order to keep abreast of the goings on at the Gate. Don't really know what's inspired me to register really but i'm looking forward to injecting the odd bit of controversy, the odd wind up and the even more odd bit of intellect.

As for bullying try me go on - i'll warn you though my keyboard is my sword, oh and i also carry a snooker cue in case of emergencies!!

C U round

Archived