IGNORED

Mifsud, If He's Not Good Enough For Coventry Then Why Is He Good Enough For Us

scrumpyhead

If Coventry felt that Mifsud was not quality enough for them then why is he good enough for us. Do we have so sign another 10 goals (at most) a season striker. We need someone who's prolific, not a goal every now and then...we've got enough of them already..... Trundles got a better chance of scoring more than Mifsud. Christ, brick wall.........head.......banging.

Guest Garfunkle
If Coventry felt that Mifsud was not quality enough for them then why is he good enough for us. Do we have so sign another 10 goals (at most) a season striker. We need someone who's prolific, not a goal every now and then...we've got enough of them already..... Trundles got a better chance of scoring more than Mifsud. Christ, brick wall.........head.......banging.

elliott wasnt a regular for millwall

He scored 16 goals last season, most of them were in the first half of the campaign. As Coventry were absolutely dire in the second half of the season I don't expect this helped his cause, but if he was playing in our side I'm confident he could score 20 a season. We do have players who would make chances for him.

lets give the man a chance look at Trundle for that welsh shit hit 20+ a season how many did he get for us 6 was it big difrence :unsure:

• SC&T Board Members
He scored 16 goals last season, most of them were in the first half of the campaign. As Coventry were absolutely dire in the second half of the season I don't expect this helped his cause, but if he was playing in our side I'm confident he could score 20 a season. We do have players who would make chances for him.

Note too: he scored all those goals (thought it was 17, actually) WITH Adebola at the club and his goal drought came AFTER Adebola left. Maybe that tells you why GJ thinks he could be a useful purchase.

Why do you think Coventry feel Mifsud isn't quality enough? He turned down a new contract offer from them. He's got an abundance of the thing we lack up front - pace. He scored at a decent rate in a shit side until the moved him to the wing. Which prolific striker do you think we should sign instead?!

You lot are far to optimistic...........

How is it being too optimistic? Mifsud scored 17 last season whilst playing in the Championship. He is therefore more proven than Trundle was last season (who had never played at this level before) and Metaeb (who is playing in a completely different league). He also scored more than double what our top scorer scored last season, playing for a much worse team...

Not sure whether your's is a serious question - or a vent of the frustration we're all feeling at the moment? Wouldn't blame you if its the latter.

Acqusition targets tend to fall into one of, probably, three groups don't they:

Players who are doing the business right now (trundle, phillips, ronaldo!) - premium priced, GJ doesnt seem to like

Players who haven't been tested at a higher level yet but show potentail (maynard, tyson) - over-priced relative to proven results

Players who aren't doing the business now - but have done in the past and have the potential to do so again (williams, mifsud, emad).

Mifsud is in the last group - and GJ must believe that he can bring out the best in him. This might be because the way city want to set up for this season would suit mifsud better than where he was played at coventry, the combination with dele is proven, and/or GJ believes that a happy player is a better player (and mifsud is unhappy in coventry - unsurprising).

Also, from what others have read / heard there aren't too many coventry fans who think getting rid of him is a good idea!

Like Nibor said, Mifsud turned down a new deal - that means he's obviously good enough for Coventry.

Don't forget that they've got a new(ish) manager and this is his first chance to shape the squad to his own taste. He's brought in two good strikers, money for Mifsud gives him the chance to do some more dealing.

Give the guy a chance mate!

Coventry were resigned to losing him, rather that wanted to get rid of him, that's why he left them. He will score 15-20 next season, depending on how Gary shifts the partnerships around as he does. The boy is quality and will prove to be a real threat up top next season and will be a great asset, so may i suggest you apply a wet towel to sooth that headbanging and then relax a touch.

What are you talking about it's not that he's not good enough for them just player / manager issue and only a year left on contract - proven ccc striker

IMO - Great striker and i'll look forward to you eating your words like most people have about LJ & LT

Coventry didnt want to sell him, hence why they tried slapping a £5million price tag on him back in January to warn people him. He was played out of position later last season and was injured towards the end. Mifsud was unhappy at playing wide and asked for a transfer in which they agreed to even though Coleman admitted 'we are losing one of our star players'

I have also spoken to a friend of mine who's a Coventry fan and he said alot are unhappy at his sale but understand after their season last year and being played out of position alot. He said hes a quality player who can work the wings well, is a good worker and with his pace can create something out of nothing.

So to say we are signing a player who isnt any good for Coventry is a little off the mark in my opinion....

We all agreed signing a pacey striker was neccessary and for the reported price of £700k then we have a very good signing on our hands.

:disapointed2se: NO NO NO we need are number 1 target not a panic buy is this the best we can do :disapointed2se:

This is a wind up right?? Mifsud wasn't available until after the problems with Moteab therefore couldn't have been number 1.

This is a great bit of opportunistic work by GJ and will work out for the best the club.

He didn't score in 19 odd games for Cov last season because he wasn't playing alongside Adebola, he was low on confidence due to unrest at Cov, he was unhappy and he wanted to leave Cov.

EDIT : And he was played on the wing by Coleman

Ask coventry fans if they are happy that he is being sold!!

Thing is he is unhappy there and with 1 year left on contract they'd better cash in on him now rather than lose him for free.

jesus christ.........i really can't understand what goes through some people's mind!

Mifsud is an Established Proven Championship Goal Scorer - FACT

personally......that's good enough for me......still some people would rather we signed some Egyptian who has dicked us around left right and centre and basically taken the p:ss out of the club and the manager........

personally, I'm still expecting a Prem club (Hull, Stoke, WBA sort) to come in at the last min at knick him.....

Hello all, since your offer was accepted I've been lurking to see how it's being received at your end, just thought I'd add my 2p.

Mifsud is more than good enough for us, there's really no question about that. The reason he's allowed to leave is primarily because his contract is running out in June (although if he was on a longer deal, I'd still be hesitant to keep an unhappy player) and by all accounts he spoke about moving on late last season. Coleman signing Eastwood and perhaps Morrison would certainly have had a Mifsud exit in mind; indeed our chairman said that talks over a new contract were basically a non-starter as he was set on going.

With regards his dip in form, it coincided with his red card against WBA. He came back and had a few goalscoring flashes (away at WBA and at Blackburn) but seemed more unlucky than poor in the second half of the season. I don't think it was just because of Adebola as he still had plenty of chances, he just seemed to do everything but score at times. Even during the barren spell he was always a danger, as you'd expect from a player so quick; and more importantly he never looked like he'd given up, which is always good to see in a player even when off-form.

He wants to play through the middle, and he didn't do this often last season (I've heard that 11 of his goals were when playing out wide) but I suspect that being treated as one of the first names on the teamsheet would give him enough of a boost to start firing again.

Depending on the final fee, I think both sides may have done fairly well out of the deal. All the best.

Hello all, since your offer was accepted I've been lurking to see how it's being received at your end, just thought I'd add my 2p.

Mifsud is more than good enough for us, there's really no question about that. The reason he's allowed to leave is primarily because his contract is running out in June (although if he was on a longer deal, I'd still be hesitant to keep an unhappy player) and by all accounts he spoke about moving on late last season. Coleman signing Eastwood and perhaps Morrison would certainly have had a Mifsud exit in mind; indeed our chairman said that talks over a new contract were basically a non-starter as he was set on going.

With regards his dip in form, it coincided with his red card against WBA. He came back and had a few goalscoring flashes (away at WBA and at Blackburn) but seemed more unlucky than poor in the second half of the season. I don't think it was just because of Adebola as he still had plenty of chances, he just seemed to do everything but score at times. Even during the barren spell he was always a danger, as you'd expect from a player so quick; and more importantly he never looked like he'd given up, which is always good to see in a player even when off-form.

He wants to play through the middle, and he didn't do this often last season (I've heard that 11 of his goals were when playing out wide) but I suspect that being treated as one of the first names on the teamsheet would give him enough of a boost to start firing again.

Depending on the final fee, I think both sides may have done fairly well out of the deal. All the best.

Thanks for adding some sense to this post. Some are doubting his transfer but I think thats more aggravation from the apparent collapse of the Meteab deal (don't ask......) One question though, are you as a supporter unhappy he's leaving or feel its best for all?

Guest Garfunkle

thanks. out of interest, what do you expect of coventry this season? and what are your expectations of us?

always like to get an oppositions view

Maybe you need to do a bit of research before you post? It was actually 17 goals last term (11 league) and 10 of those 11 came in 20 odd matches (with dele) witch is brilliant rate. Then when Adebola left and coleman arrived his goaldrought began. Maybe that had something to do with the fact he was played out of position at RM!!!

Ah the great Bristol City tradition of slagging off a player who hasn't even signed for us yet, let alone played. So let's see, Marvin wasn't good enough for Millwall, Macca wasn't good enough for Wolves and Basso wasn't good enough for Woking! And let's not forget Louis wasn't good enough for Coventry either. :disapointed2se:

Thanks for adding some sense to this post. Some are doubting his transfer but I think thats more aggravation from the apparent collapse of the Meteab deal (don't ask......) One question though, are you as a supporter unhappy he's leaving or feel its best for all?

A little of both for me. I warmed to him fairly instantly and I'll be sad to see him go, but at the same time I feel it's right that we make profit on a player who wants to play elsewhere, and indeed could walk out for nothing in the summer.

So long as he doesn't come back to haunt us, of course.

thanks. out of interest, what do you expect of coventry this season? and what are your expectations of us?

always like to get an oppositions view

I expect improvement to say the least; I'll be happy if we're sat in 12th come May with nothing to play for, so long as there are signs of progress. Our signings since the takeover have been very encouraging and suggest a bright future, but I'm not one of these who expects instant gratification. I've had 8 years of false promises since relegation.

As for you, I haven't a clue (that's the Championship for you...). You took me by surprise last season to say the least. After you were the side to end our early good form last season with a spanking at the Ricoh, if you keep the same squad (with a few notable additions ;)) I don't see why you can't be in the playoff mix again.

Archived