IGNORED

Worst Ever City Player

InCider

I would have said the three that stand out are Ray Atteveld, Brian Mitchell and Gus Caesar but they have all been mentioned already. Two more that I thought were dreadful were Matt Hewlett and Ralph Milne (who ended up going to Man U. ????).

Milne was a total p1sshead (last heard of running a pub), but actually quite a decent player, on his debut he scored an absolutely wonderful goal, Walsh hit a 40 yard cross to Ralph running flat out, and right on the corner of the box he just sidefoot lobbed it over the keeper into the far corner. Total silence, then a massed cry of "F$ck me!!!" (see also God Taylor's overhead kick vs Birmingham City, 1989).

I saw Ralph play for Manure on the box, and he ran half the length of the field before cracking one past the keeper. I liked him. Lazy s0d, mind...

Milne was a total p1sshead (last heard of running a pub), but actually quite a decent player, on his debut he scored an absolutely wonderful goal, Walsh hit a 40 yard cross to Ralph running flat out, and right on the corner of the box he just sidefoot lobbed it over the keeper into the far corner. Total silence, then a massed cry of "F$ck me!!!" (see also God Taylor's overhead kick vs Birmingham City, 1989).

I saw Ralph play for Manure on the box, and he ran half the length of the field before cracking one past the keeper. I liked him. Lazy s0d, mind...

That Milne goal is one of the best I've ever seen down the Gate, against Bury if memory serves?

Lots of votes for McKop - I've written this before when talking about bad players, does anyone else remember when McKop and Colin Loss were our central midfield partnership? Pretty certain it was the first year of the new Atyeo Stand, Port Vale at home? Finished goalless and we were lucky to get nil that day? Remember saying I would never go and watch City ever again after that. Those two really did not have a clue.

Yes, Williams, Dyche, Lever, Baird etc were awful, but McKop and Loss were just a waste of a pair of boots.

Here are a few city legends that i would like to forget that have not yet been mentioned....

Gordon Owen

Marc Goodfellow

Glenn Pennyfather

And, i don't think this guy should be classed as a pro footballer :ph34r: ...

Dave Martin. (he has kicked more people up in the air than Roy Keane and Norman Hunter put together!)

Loads of candidates from the 1999 relegation season.....I'm still having nightmares

Dyche

Watts

Hutchings

tony thorpe signed for over a million but was rubbish

ade akinbyi scored loads that season but should have scored 3 times as many

keith welch (that season anyway)

Gotta pull you up on Tony Thorpe mate.

Although not the greatest striker we've ever had i certainly don't think you could describe him as rubbish.

51 league goals in 128 games is a good record.

Guest MaloneFM

In recent memory (basically because that's all the alcohol abuse has left me) I tend to match players with the attitude. Liam Robinson was crap but he tried, Mohammed Basir Savage, yes it is, look it up, after the mystery sniper in the Williams took him out against Yeovil at full time after we had won sat on the edge of the penalty area and cried his heart out.

So not either of those.

On to the villains then.

Dyche. Ginge, still wanted to be back at Chesterfield, or Watford, or Millwall so had a mystery back complaint which even Wardy didn't want to talk about because he was his bitch. Generally a horrible person that could only go whoosh when playing alongsode the legend that is (wooh) Shaun Taylor. Pearls before swine.

Sideshow Bob Hutchins. Comedy hair, comedy wee car (MG convertable) smacked a shot against the bar at the Atyeo End and began ranting at his detractors in a manner similar to...

Torpey. Lazy, shouty sweary old Torpinio. Wanted to lamp uncles chum when he said 'good game Torp' when he clearly hadn't. Never tracked back, never chased it down, whiner but not as bad as...

Roberts. Off the park a lovely bloke. On it, didn't speak let alone pass to Peacock. Fell over way too often, and didn't celebrate when scoring against Crapdiff. Gave some old cobblers about fearing for his familys safety and weeks after his old man was on the telly saying he goes in the local back home acting the Charlie big Potatoes with his mates about how he will be top scorer in the division.

Set up one and scored the other. Fair enough. But for the other 89 minutes just wasn't there.

Came from nowhere. Went back there. Not soon enough.

Guest MaloneFM
Is it personal? it seems like it a tad or is that taf.

Oh absoloutely old love! All of these things tend to be. You see sadly there is no official crappiest player at any club. My personal bugbears happen to be the ones mentioned. And one of them ISN'T Mohammed Basir Savage funnily enough.

Because he actually tried and gave a toss.

Oh absoloutely old love! All of these things tend to be. You see sadly there is no official crappiest player at any club. My personal bugbears happen to be the ones mentioned. And one of them ISN'T Mohammed Basir Savage funnily enough.

I'm with you on this one. I can't understand why so many people regard Bas as our worst ever player. Sure, he wasn't pretty, but he really worked hard and actually became part of the team's brilliant turnaround in Johnson's first season.

My worst players - Roberts is one, such a lack of a football brain, his tendency to BLAST everything (remember when he received the ball from the opposition keeper away at Barnsley, had all the time in the world to run the ball forward and tuck it past the keeper, instead deciding to hit it as hard as he could into the top of the stand?), and his general laziness and total 'I'm too cool to celebrate or give a toss' attitude.

Carl Hutchings, again. Just pure rubbish.

Julian Watts, Mark Lever - donkeys.

Clayton Fortune was pretty dire and also had the appearance of not caring.

James Quinn on loan in GJ's first season during the run of nine defeats - bloody dreadful!

Matt Heywood and GRANT SMITH. Proof that buying from Swindon is generally (exception of Shaun Taylor) a recipe of disaster. I've rarely seen a player contribute so little to a game of football as Grant Smith. And Heywood was a lumbering, overweight carthorse.

Steve Phillips. In his time at the Gate, probably one of the most overrated players I've seen down here - a keeper who shot-stopping aside, couldnt command his box, or kick, or come for crosses. All whilst blaming everyone else and moaning like a little bitch until he cried off to the Gas because he couldn't handle playing 2nd fiddle to a better keeper with a better attitude.

Other blasts from the past... Matt Hewlett, Steve Torpey, Steve Jones, Peter Beadle and Craig Fagan... (shudder)...

Can't agree with that one tiny weeny bit; to describe a man who sets up one goal with a pin-point accurate cros and, then scores an absolutely spectacular goal with practically the last kick of the match, both in extra-time of a play-off semi-final, and when pretty much every other player on the City side had given up, as someone who didn't really try or give a toss isn't really fair, is it?

And it's a good job he didn't blast every shot he ever had, otherwise that goal against Hartlepool wouldn't have gone in, would it?

Getting serious for a moment. Due to unfulfilled potential and personal tragedy, he should not be considered among the group of players discussed here...

But...is our biggest transfer disappointment and loss Dean Horrix, who sadly died in a car accident one week after being sold to us by Millwall in 1990?

RIP Dean, you are still remembered. :mf_sleep:

I'm with you on this one. I can't understand why so many people regard Bas as our worst ever player. Sure, he wasn't pretty, but he really worked hard and actually became part of the team's brilliant turnaround in Johnson's first season.

My worst players - Roberts is one, such a lack of a football brain, his tendency to BLAST everything (remember when he received the ball from the opposition keeper away at Barnsley, had all the time in the world to run the ball forward and tuck it past the keeper, instead deciding to hit it as hard as he could into the top of the stand?), and his general laziness and total 'I'm too cool to celebrate or give a toss' attitude.

Carl Hutchings, again. Just pure rubbish.

Julian Watts, Mark Lever - donkeys.

Clayton Fortune was pretty dire and also had the appearance of not caring.

James Quinn on loan in GJ's first season during the run of nine defeats - bloody dreadful!

Matt Heywood and GRANT SMITH. Proof that buying from Swindon is generally (exception of Shaun Taylor) a recipe of disaster. I've rarely seen a player contribute so little to a game of football as Grant Smith. And Heywood was a lumbering, overweight carthorse.

Steve Phillips. In his time at the Gate, probably one of the most overrated players I've seen down here - a keeper who shot-stopping aside, couldnt command his box, or kick, or come for crosses. All whilst blaming everyone else and moaning like a little bitch until he cried off to the Gas because he couldn't handle playing 2nd fiddle to a better keeper with a better attitude.

Other blasts from the past... Matt Hewlett, Steve Torpey, Steve Jones, Peter Beadle and Craig Fagan... (shudder)...

I wouldnt say Beadle is that bad even though he came as tainted goods i will always remeber him seeing off the gas on christmas eve on of the last times we played them in the league or was it mickey mouse cup.

Bad players for me

Lee matthews - total waste of coach space on away trips and was lazy.

Christain Roberts for me was not that good - the bloody gloves that did it for me never really liked him but he did score that goal.

By far the most frustating for me was Junior Bent on he day he was awsome then other days he looked like he wouldnt get in the local pub team- Legend. When he swung his foot for a cross you never knew where it was going to end up.

I wouldnt say Beadle is that bad even though he came as tainted goods i will always remeber him seeing off the gas on christmas eve on of the last times we played them in the league or was it mickey mouse cup.

Bad players for me

Lee matthews - total waste of coach space on away trips and was lazy.

Christain Roberts for me was not that good - the bloody gloves that did it for me never really liked him but he did score that goal.

By far the most frustating for me was Junior Bent on he day he was awsome then other days he looked like he wouldnt get in the local pub team- Legend. When he swung his foot for a cross you never knew where it was going to end up.

Perhaps the single most frustrating player I HAVE EVER SEEN.

The amount of times we would shout at him to make a bloody run - Unbelievable. He would receive the ball on the halfway line from llewellyn(with his back to goal) pass it straight back and run into the east end. Probably talented but no football brain whatsoever.

Didn't the sag announcer get the sack because of him "number 8 - Junior Bent - Is he or Isn't he?"

I love these threads ... almost makes up for having had to watch the useless ####s at the time!

For me, the hapless free transfers don't really make the grade - the McKops, the Pennyfathers and so on. They were indeed cr@p for the most part, but they cost nothing and were worth the same.

For similar reasons, I'll never believe Gus Caesar gets so many mentions purely on his own merits (if that's the right word ...), and suspect that having his very own chapter in the most irritating football book I have ever read (the vile Fever Pitch) has unduly influenced a few people. I must have seen every one of his games and he did cut a slightly tragic and bewildered figure at times but the simple fact was that we knew very well what we were getting. So did Gus, and so all too often did the opposition.

No, to go down in history as a really bad Bristol City player, it's essential to have caused severe damage to our hard-won transfer kitty. It helps if you also wipe out the salaries budget while you're at it. Being signed by a reviled manager adds a touch of elegance to your bid. A punch-up (during an actual match if poss, but training ground or dressing room will suffice) with one or more of your own players is a must for the serious contender and of course, having been a crushing disappointment right through your (probably short) stint at the club you absolutely must be sold at a loss or preferably given away.

Ray Atteveld. Steve Jones. Ian Baird Baird Baird (OK, I think Jordan signed him, but I bet he wishes he hadn't!).

Archived