IGNORED

Best City Goal

kelbcfc

John Bailey, from about 40 yards, and we won 1-0,

October 1989 away at Crewe, during Joe Jordan's promotion season,

not many will remember, cos it was a tuesday night and the crowd was only 3,000

what a goal and what a night that was,went to a haloween party after the game and got back to bristol about 3am.

:city::city::city:

- A John Galley 30 yard volley from a Trevor Tainton cross at home to Orient circa 1972, a game we came back from 3-1 to win 5-3. Anyone who remembers the Alan Mullery goal of the season for Fulham they used to play every week on Match of the Day, it was a bit like that.

- You'd have to say Ray Cashley's 96 yard clearance against Hull (think their keeper was Jeff Sealand) in 1973, though a dubious one because I don't think it was deliberate.

- Jimmy Mann's 40 yard thunderbolt which sailed over Peter Shilton against Forest at the East End, around 1979.

- Keith Curle, playing at centre half, dribbled the ball from defence, beating 6/7 players before slotting past the keeper, cant remember who we were playing, around 1986?.

- A Bob Taylor 30 yard volley from a Robbie Turner knock down in a Tuesday night 5-1 win at Swansea around 1990.

- All 4 goals against Palace in the play offs, especially Noble's fee-kick.

- The best double in a game would have to be Trundle's against S****horpe last season.

Christian Roberts vs Mansfield in the 5-4 win ( I was mascot that day :P)

Christian Roberts vs Hartlepool in the play off win

Brian Tinnion vs Cambridge the flick free kick

Brian Tinnion vs Millwall the promotion in 97 a free kick

Scott Murray vs Oldham magical run and finish

Scott Murray vs Cardiff mainly for his celebration at Tinnion Park!

Dave Cotterill vs Huddersfield great run and goal

It's going back a long time but unquestionably the best goal of the last 40 years was scored by Jimmy Mann against Nottingham Forest (Shilton in goal) in ?September 1979. Beat two or three players and then hit it from 35 yards into the top corner. I can still remember the feeling of astonishment and disbelief at the time. I doubt anyone who was there will ever see a better goal.

Thanks for reminding me who it was against.

As you say, astonishing goal and one that will live in the memory for ever and the main reason for my user name.

The ball seemed to hit the back of the net at the same time as he kicked it... impossible I know from that distance but it was special.

David Nobles goal against Palace this year also very memorable.

So many to mention!! Trundle's brace vs Scunny, Murray vs Boro and Oldham, McCombe vs Hull, Anyone vs the Sags,

Runner up for me: Wilkshire vs Tranmere lob over Achterberg's head from distance Tinnion's first season as gaffer, 6-0 I believe?

Best one was the big Cheese vs Arsenal at Highbury, after all Supermac's hype in the red tops!!The stuff of legends, maybe not technically the best but it screamed WE'VE ARRIVED!!

Shut the school bully, Liam Somethingorother up a treat!!

All of my three get a mention (don't know why but it's always three)

1. Testi at Chesterfield on a cold Tuesday night

2. Scott Murray against Oldham. Tackled a bloke just outside our area and ran 70 yards before "passing" it in.

3. Roberts winner against Mansfield

Actually his winner against Hartlepool in the Play-Off was a very neat goal - maybe we all forgot how good it was because of the drama!

To change the subject from all this doom and gloom i would like to hear your opinion on the best city goal you have seen.

Ive seen hundreds in my time from great former city stars including walshy,john galley,jimmy mann,andy cole,bob taylor etc,rtc,etc.

my favourite though has to be louie donahue(spelling) against the rabble from across town when he kissed the ball over the line to end years of heartache.

just remembered another one,when chris garland got on his hands and knees and headed the ball into the net at the tote end.(for most of the forum readers who don't know,that was the rovers end at eastville)

over to you.

havent read the thread, but if Ivan Testimitanu's flick, head and volly against chesterfield away on a freezing november tuesday isnt mentioned 10 times, you all need to make the effort to see it.

i was there in person, in an away following of 200 or so, and a crowd of 3500 ish. Anyone else here make it..?

Oh So Many Goals So little time

1 Jimmy Mann NF (40 yds past We Hate Shilton into the top Right Corner...Those who saw it will never never forget it)

2 Carl Shutt (Hanging Scisors Volley in Injury Time Away at Aldershot to take a Cup Replay into Extra Time)

3 Jeavons Against Forest Freight Rover two seasons ago

4 Christian Roberts Hartlepool

5 Keith Fear Lob Versus Leeds 74 FA Cup

6 Chris Garland heading the ball into the net while kneeling on the Goal line V Gas....

7 Ray Cashley 110 yarder v Hull City 73

8 Donnie Gillies equalizer V Coventry 77

9 Paul Cheesley V Arse 76 header

10 Luke Wilkshire Lob V Tranmere? 4 seasons ago

Did I miss any?....Oh yes I did

11 Brian Tinnion V Liverpool 93

wayne allison bursting through tha bardiff defence like it wasnt there,

to put us 5 up has to be up there for me, league cup 1st round at home 85ish

85!!? Wayner wasn't even an apprentice at Halifax then (not in the Alan Sugar sense). Don't you mean 92, the game Cole scored a hat-trick in?

Some Great memories on here !

I agree with Nobles goal v palace as best.

For best double though although Trunds vs s****horpe was awesome I think Mr Lee Matthews running through the Gas defence x2 in the JPT eclipses it.

The Donowa goal for best celebration. No one outside of Bristol football could come close to understanding it and what it meant.

Anyone remember the goal Junior scored at Swindle one year?

Early on in the season, ran from the half way line and tucked it away beautifully? Won 1-0, good times!

Reading this thread brings back memories that i didn't realise i still had!

So many great goals and great times.

I definitely remember the Junior Bent goal at Sindon. It was the first game of the season on a beautiful sunny day, the City fans were in the end behind the goal with the roof on (now the home end) and it was the year that they got demoted for betting irregularities by their chairman Brian Hillier.. He betted on his team to lose in an FA cup game against Newcastle and they lost 5-0!

Needless to say, as City won the game 0-1, the City faithful were chanting "Did you bet on us to win" as the Swindle fans were leaving the ground at the end of the game!

But for me, there are only a few goals that are burn't into memory...

Donowa's goal for the drama and atmosphere

Tinnions goal at Anfield

Roberts goal/s against Hartlepool

The Donowa goal for best celebration. No one outside of Bristol football could come close to understanding it and what it meant.

You're not wrong there mate.

I'm pretty certain that was the first time I'd seen us beat the Gash, doesn't get any better than that.

Can still remember that sinking feeling as Hollowhead ran up for the pen, the elation when Leaning saved it - and the howls of abuse that came his way after.

When that goal went in - what a feeling. Liverpool was nice, but could never mean as much as a late winner against that lot.

Can't believe no one's mentioned this one:

Sat 10th Jan 1998

City v Grimsby

Kick off - 7 or 8 neat passes later and it was in the back of the net without Grimsby even getting a touch. Colin Cramb getting a boot to the ball to divert a Greg Goodridge cross I think.

For a perfect team goal, this is pretty much up there, plus the fact we beat them so comprehensively and (apart from Watford) they were our closest rivals at the time.

Shaun Taylor even went and scored a bullet header 4 minutes later. What a ledg!

Some others worth considering that haven't been mentioned:

Murray vs Boro

McCombe's overhead kick

Trundle vs Scunny

Elliott vs Stoke

Mickey Bell's two free kicks in front of the east end against... Cambridge?

It was Plymouth.

And yes, Maidenhead, I was there for Testi's screamer, too.

Bob Taylor got two in a minute at The Vetch in a 5-0 win in 89/90, the second was a screamer from their kick off from his first!

Happy days.

Some Great memories on here !

Too right. Can't quibble with any selections so far, but I'll throw in some memories for the oldies.

Ernie Hunt brought some of his free-kick routines to us in the early 70s. I think that one for Coventry where Willie Carr flicked the ball up for him to volley in was later outlawed but we tried a variation with Donnie Gillies lobbing it for him. I'm sure he volleyed in one at an away game.

Norman Hunter used to score with some cracking free kicks. Can think of one screamer against Everton at the open end.

But there was a goal scored by Gerry Sharpe in a 4-0 win over Blackburn in March 1970 (yes I had to look that bit up to check). I was at the front of the East End that day and as an impressionable teen my memory is that he flicked the ball up for himself to head in (when he could have just tapped it across the line).

Sadly Sharpe broke his leg rather badly about ten months later and don't think he played again. Great shame, very skilful winger.

Too right. Can't quibble with any selections so far, but I'll throw in some memories for the oldies.

Ernie Hunt brought some of his free-kick routines to us in the early 70s. I think that one for Coventry where Willie Carr flicked the ball up for him to volley in was later outlawed but we tried a variation with Donnie Gillies lobbing it for him. I'm sure he volleyed in one at an away game.

Norman Hunter used to score with some cracking free kicks. Can think of one screamer against Everton at the open end.

But there was a goal scored by Gerry Sharpe in a 4-0 win over Blackburn in March 1970 (yes I had to look that bit up to check). I was at the front of the East End that day and as an impressionable teen my memory is that he flicked the ball up for himself to head in (when he could have just tapped it across the line).

Sadly Sharpe broke his leg rather badly about ten months later and don't think he played again. Great shame, very skilful winger.

he broke his leg against boro. eric mcmordie being the culprit.

in the same year he scored a pen against charlton on the big match.

it hit the bar,ground,bar again and went in,i think it was a 2-2 draw.

How good was Gerry Sharpe? His brother was MD of the place I done my apprenticeship.

My Dad always raved about him.

Ive still got the highlights with Roger Malone on VHS at home, the soaked away end going mental, wasnt live as it was a midweek game, yet another visit to Swindle where ive been soaked, can only think of a hanful of visits there where its been dry (the season we had Akinbiyi and nearly pulled back an early 3-0 lead comes to mind).

The game was on a sunday afternoon, City fans were in the Town end.

One that always sticks in my mind was Tony Rougier away at Barnsley a few years ago. He wasnt the quickest player by any imagination but remember him getting the ball on half way line and literally taking on the entire team to score.

Other memorable moments include Lita's hattrick (which no-one could see!!) against Torquay and probably for those lucky enough to be there........Roberts 5th City goal against Hereford when we won 5-4 and scored 3 times in last 10 mins if I'm not mistaken.

it was mansfield

How good was Gerry Sharpe? His brother was MD of the place I done my apprenticeship.

My Dad always raved about him.

I rated him too. He had already been playing for about three years by the time started to go to the Gate. I think he started as an inside forward playing off Atyeo. Sharpe was quite a delicate sort of touch player. Probably the equivalent of playing in 'the hole' now.

By the time I was a regular watcher tactics were changing and he played more as a wide man. Usually got to double figures in goals over a season if he played 30-plus games.

Archived