IGNORED

Best City Goal

kelbcfc

Not the best goal of 'modern times' though. If you ask me, that honour goes to Tony Thorpe's headed goal after Aaron Brown's 80 year run and cross, against the Gas at Christmas 2000, live on Sky TV!

Man I loved that goal! no one has mentioned murraydonna against oldham yet.

three that stick in my mind

1. steve torpey vs swindon when he lobbed the keeper from way out.

2. think the name was glen pennyfather, cant remember who against, but he went in for a sliding tackle on the edge of the box but it was such a crunching tackle it hit his shine and flew into the corner.

3. ivan testi... (you know the one) away at chesterfield. fantastic volley and got a mention on 'better than pele' on sky sports.

happy days!

No, the Junior goal was at Swindon, def early season as I couldn't go because I was playing cricket.

Remember the game you're on about though. Rumours going round work on the Friday that we had signed McCoist on loan, turned out to be Fleck. Wasn't a bad signing in the scheme of things! P1ssed down all game, and sat next to a Swindon mate who I'd never seen so quiet before - or since! Wasn't it on a Sunday, live on HTV?

Ive still got the highlights with Roger Malone on VHS at home, the soaked away end going mental, wasnt live as it was a midweek game, yet another visit to Swindle where ive been soaked, can only think of a hanful of visits there where its been dry (the season we had Akinbiyi and nearly pulled back an early 3-0 lead comes to mind).

It's going back a long time but unquestionably the best goal of the last 40 years was scored by Jimmy Mann against Nottingham Forest (Shilton in goal) in ?September 1979. Beat two or three players and then hit it from 35 yards into the top corner. I can still remember the feeling of astonishment and disbelief at the time. I doubt anyone who was there will ever see a better goal.

As someone who was stood in the away end with his Forest supporting mate, I remember that goal all too well. :innocent06:

A great team goal was the one scored by Nicky Morgan against Blackburn. 1st game of the new season after being promoted and we were 1-2 down at home. Morgans goal from a Dave Smith cross was the icing on the cake.

Oh and 1/2 a dozen Walshy specials.

Recently, Trundles 2nd against Scunny was different class, would love to see more of those.....

No, the Junior goal was at Swindon, def early season as I couldn't go because I was playing cricket.

Remember the game you're on about though. Rumours going round work on the Friday that we had signed McCoist on loan, turned out to be Fleck. Wasn't a bad signing in the scheme of things! P1ssed down all game, and sat next to a Swindon mate who I'd never seen so quiet before - or since! Wasn't it on a Sunday, live on HTV?

No the live game was 2-1 Matty Hill and LeeP free kick

The game with Junior & fleck was a midweek job - same night as England lads playing up at Lansdowne road Dublin prior to a friendly against the Republic

(remember watching the England boys go off on tv before going to the c#nty ground)

Roberts v Mansfield away?,Super Bob on the 1/2 way line v crewe,Trunds 2 last season v scunny,but the most mental ever has to be the chief at sheff weds on a tues nite off his size 16 boot tonguefrom 40 yards out in front of 40,000.9Then the 3.1 cave in!)

Many years ago Gerry Harrison ( i think ) hit a thunderbolt from 30 yards into the top corner in the last minute to win the game 2-1 but i cant remember who it was against

That was against Charlton, that was a corker!

Seem to remember him jumping into the East End afterwards - may be dreaming that bit though!

No the live game was 2-1 Matty Hill and LeeP free kick

The game with Junior & fleck was a midweek job - same night as England lads playing up at Lansdowne road Dublin prior to a friendly against the Republic

(remember watching the England boys go off on tv before going to the c#nty ground)

I thought that the live game was Joe Jordan's first game of the second stint in charge. We won 3-2 and Swindle had Fjortoft and Keith Scott up front.........

To change the subject from all this doom and gloom i would like to hear your opinion on the best city goal you have seen.

Ive seen hundreds in my time from great former city stars including walshy,john galley,jimmy mann,andy cole,bob taylor etc,rtc,etc.

my favourite though has to be louie donahue(spelling) against the rabble from across town when he kissed the ball over the line to end years of heartache.

just remembered another one,when chris garland got on his hands and knees and headed the ball into the net at the tote end.(for most of the forum readers who don't know,that was the rovers end at eastville)

over to you.

:city::city::city:

Not the 'best' goal - but Donowa, last minute against the Gash can't be beaten for sheer drama.

Must have been around March 1991? Leaning had saved a pen from Hollowhead with about 15 mins to go too to make it even sweeter. Can still remember the view from the East End as Louie slotted it home and ran off to celebrate in front of a packed open end with Super Bob. Three sides of the ground erupting, one silent. Getting a bit emotional just thinking about it!

Happy days!

Ha, I saw the title of this thread and the Donawa goal was the first one to pop into my head, as it was the first time we had beaten them in bloody years.

Stood right behind the goal in the EE. Devon 'teabag' White dived to get the penalty which Leaning saved. Up popped Louie to score an 86th minute winner right in front of the Gas fans. :dancing6:

I did get coined by someone in the away end on the way out though, which I thought was slightly amusing at the time.

Also loved Nicky Morgans bullet header in front of the EE in a 4-0 win against Wallsall last game of the season to win promotion in 1989/90. Just a shame the blue few beat us to the title.

Ha, I saw the title of this thread and the Donawa goal was the first one to pop into my head, as it was the first time we had beaten them in bloody years.

Stood right behind the goal in the EE. Devon 'teabag' White dived to get the penalty which Leaning saved. Up popped Louie to score an 86th minute winner right in front of the Gas fans. :dancing6:

Stood on the open end that night right next to the dirty sags. Minutes silence before the game which was abused by them - this was followed by the loudest ever rendition of "you're just a bunch of w-a-n-k-e-r-s" by the city fans.

Cracking goal and atmosphere.

Many years ago Gerry Harrison ( i think ) hit a thunderbolt from 30 yards into the top corner in the last minute to win the game 2-1 but i cant remember who it was against

I was about to say that one! It was against Charlton. Cracking end to a match.

Speaking of end to matches, Leroy Lita away at Walsall in the pouring rain - it could probably have been defended better but it was from a different postcode (or at least it felt that way in Walsall).

I also remember Lita's second or third in a 6-1 win at home to someone, maybe Peterbrough, he just ran on and absolutely tonked it into the top corner from open play in front of the Atyeo, never seen a City player hit one so sweet.

Then of course there were some of those sublime Greg Goodridge goals...

Wasn't there a Lee Peacock free kick winner in front of the open terrace at Swindon? That was quality.. just to do it right in front of the away end and on a day when Swindon were their usual irritating selves.

Other memorable moments include Lita's hattrick (which no-one could see!!) against Torquay and probably for those lucky enough to be there........Roberts 5th City goal against Hereford when we won 5-4 and scored 3 times in last 10 mins if I'm not mistaken.

It was Manfield, but yes, a belter

wayne allison bursting through tha bardiff defence like it wasnt there,

to put us 5 up has to be up there for me, league cup 1st round at home 85ish

also remember a jimmy mann brace at bardiff in the early 80`s to give us a 3-2 win at there`s.He picked it up in the centre circle an smashed it from 35yards to send us mental.

got to agree with the louis dannowa goal agains the gas as well cos we hadnt done them for so long

1. Dziekanowski's against Leicester in the cup in 92 (?). Not the most amazing goal, but it capped the most amazing performance i've possibly ever seen by a City player.

2. Donowa's against the Gas because of the scandalous 'away the G*s' chanting that went on during the minutes silence for Des Williams, because Holoway had missed a penalty ten minutes before and because it was so late. If i remember, Brian Parkin saved his shot, it bounced up and he nodded it home. What a moment.

3. Bob Taylor's third goal against Crewe at home in 1990. A volley from about 325 yards!

4. Christian Roberts second goal for City against Hartlepool in the Play Offs. Again not the most spectacular strike but well taken and extremely important!! What a celebration when that went in!

5. Matt Bryant's screamer aginst Stoke in 1995. It was p1ssing down and we were pretty shite at the time so a welcome lift.

Archived