IGNORED

Ivan Sproule

BS3_RED

I cant believe how good he was when he came on.

He did everything a winger should do. He made runs, ran a the full back and put in a couple of decent crosses.

Please keep it up Ivan as playing like that, i would start you every week.

He did everything a winger should do. He made runs, ran a the full back and put in a couple of decent crosses.

Well he was better- I wouldn't say amazing. He lacked some end product as usual but at least he tried to run behind the defence for once. Definately a last 15 minute sub for me.

I love to see an old fashioned winger take the defender on the outside and deliver a telling cross for a determined striker to challenger for, that is the ultimate goal for me. I believe we have both qualities in our players to fulfill that now,bring it on.

Ivan did quite well tonight and provided a dangerous ball for Nicky's third. (all beit with the help of an adebola step over). I was also impressed with Gavin Williams. Very nearly scored a free kick, good touch and generally very good on the ball.

I agree entirey and he got the assist for maynards 3rd and nearly made another for brooker and got past his marker many times. Although he has to be CONSISTENT to get into the starting 11 and so that is why williams will start until he is. Williams was a bit slow to start with but had some nice touches to the game can tell he is a GJ sort of player.

I think everyone is a little too critical of Ivan the guy is an exceptional player. Admittedly he has some poor crosses but last season sat in the atyeo the quality of ball he put in was outstanding the huge problem was there was never anybody gambling in the 6 yard box and thus the critiscm of poor crossing . Even if he got to the by line to pull it back nothing on offer and a lame shot to the keeper was the outcome - causing again more criticism.

Hopefully Maynard will be the answer, as shown last night Mcindoe puts in the 6 yard box as he knows he will be gambling on it being put there. I think Ivan will suddenly stand out this year and be key to many of Maynards goals. :fingerscrossed:

Well he was better- I wouldn't say amazing. He lacked some end product as usual but at least he tried to run behind the defence for once. Definately a last 15 minute sub for me.

I agree not amazing but a lot better than great inconsistancy and lack of an end product last season .

He had a go and succeeded on a couple of occasions and seemed to have a confidence that was lacking at times previously.

Not my fav player but hopefully will shine and be a player that can change a game when needed this season as he will frighten a few backs if he pushes the ball down the line and gets past them as we know he can .

I think many people forget last season was his first full season in professional football, he'd never made 20 never mind 30 starts before in the league.

He's a devastating impact player, and he's got the confidence to beat people from 60 mins plus, now it's up to GJ to make him believe he can affect the game from the start and get him doing it consistantly. Or he'll be sub for Williams 30 odd times this season.

He's another in midfield who needs to add goals to his championship game.

You must be joking!

Murray is just as bad as Sproule. Neither of them can cross a ball. They should take lessons from McIndoe.

I'm glad someone else was thinking that too!

I think this is what makes me so bloody angry and frustrated with Sproule. He can do it. He's shown he's got the ability there. The fact is not that he can't do it, but that he just doesn't, which means it's application and not ability that he lacks.

I agree not amazing but a lot better than great inconsistancy and lack of an end product last season .

He had a go and succeeded on a couple of occasions and seemed to have a confidence that was lacking at times previously.

Not my fav player but hopefully will shine and be a player that can change a game when needed this season as he will frighten a few backs if he pushes the ball down the line and gets past them as we know he can .

I agree that Ivan's performance was encouraging on Friday. But, I'm not the only one in Blocks A and B of the Dolman (and possibly elsewhere) who wish he wouldn't cut in so soon when he's attacking the right wing towards the Atyeo. Surely if he took the ball nearer the goal line and produced quality in-swinging crosses from there for the strikers, we would get more end product?

Sproule has got what it takes to become a top-class winger in this league but i just feel that he is not consistent enough, i would mauch rather see Williams or Noble play RM. it didn't work at the start of last season but maybe Sproule could be better off as a striker???

Noble obviously different type to Sproule and I'm not keen on Noble out wide, lack of balance. Agree Sproule's crossing can be woeful and needs a lot of work on it. Should be encouraged to use his devastating pace more - and to go at the heart of the defence and get shots in. Two great goals last season doing just that. Different type of player to McIndoe and would be surprised if he ever achieves the same level of sophistication in his vision or eye for the killer pass / cross.

You must be joking!

Murray is just as bad as Sproule. Neither of them can cross a ball. They should take lessons from McIndoe.

You are wrong.... again! Question Sproule's crossing by all means, but scottys???

You are wrong.... again! Question Sproule's crossing by all means, but scottys???

Murrays crossing has always been suspect. The amount of times he got into great positions his final delivery was woefull. Not beating the first man, over hitting the cross, too far in front or behind of the attacking players. Thats why he scored so many goals one season.He had no faith in his ability to pick out a team mate so took the ball on himself more often than not.

I know the Scottish league is poor but does 71 apearances for Hibernian not count as professional football. :blink::dunno:

I meant it was his first season being a regular starter. That's my description of a full season rather than someoen who comes off the bench 30 times a year! I genuinely think he was tired and drained considering the amount of football he'd played compared to previous years. Hopefully he's learnt from that and will be able to perform consistantly (well) throughout an entire campaign.

I think everyone is a little too critical of Ivan the guy is an exceptional player. Admittedly he has some poor crosses but last season sat in the atyeo the quality of ball he put in was outstanding the huge problem was there was never anybody gambling in the 6 yard box and thus the critiscm of poor crossing . Even if he got to the by line to pull it back nothing on offer and a lame shot to the keeper was the outcome - causing again more criticism.

Hopefully Maynard will be the answer, as shown last night Mcindoe puts in the 6 yard box as he knows he will be gambling on it being put there. I think Ivan will suddenly stand out this year and be key to many of Maynards goals. :fingerscrossed:

I agree. Maynard is a player who we KNOW will attack the six yard box. I reckon we missed out on at least TWENTY goals last season where a cross was delivered across the goal, around six to eight yards out, and was begging to be stuck in the onion bag whilst our forwards were on the penalty spot, edge of the box, centre circle, edge of our own box etc. etc. If Sproule, Williams and McIndoe can deliver the service from out wide and Noble/Johnson can do the same from the centre in terms of spotting the pass to put Maynard in (like Skuse did the other night) then we have the potential to score a lot of goals this season.

You must be joking!

Best crosser of the ball last season was Trundle, check out the highlights from the DVD to see how many times he put in a cross to the danger area. Unfortunately we wanted him on the other end of the cross.

I agree, get Maynard taking a gamble in the 6 yard box and there will be a lot more goals this year.

Best crosser of the ball last season was Trundle, check out the highlights from the DVD to see how many times he put in a cross to the danger area. Unfortunately we wanted him on the other end of the cross.

I agree, get Maynard taking a gamble in the 6 yard box and there will be a lot more goals this year.

The key is also getting the fullbacks to give a better service as well as the wide midfielders

Sometimes the crossing of Orr & Mac is abysmal partucularly from deep

But..one step at a time...

The key is also getting the fullbacks to give a better service as well as the wide midfielders

Sometimes the crossing of Orr & Mac is abysmal partucularly from deep.

Theres not usually a problem getting the ball out wide. The service is fine most of the time - its the final ball thats been the problem.Its so frustrating for everyone when Sproule, Murray, Orr, McAllister get on the end of a good move only to waste the final ball.Very annoying for the strikers/midfielders who may have made runs and so deflating for the crowd.

No-one expects a pin-point cross everytime but looking up once in while may help.......

It really will not take a great deal of mental programming to turn Sproule from impact player to 90 minute threat. He looked very lively against Antwerp and was incredibly direct, which is of course what everybody wants to see from him. He could beat most full backs in this league giving them a 10 metre head start. So all he needs to have rammed down his throat by the coaching staff, and hopefully it has been over the summer, is 'do not get drawn into the play, stay on your wing.' As for his delivery, it was actually very good against Antwerp. Of course pre-season is a long way from performing week in week out but I hold out hope that he will see a lot of time out wide this year and frightening defences into sitting deep - which in turn would greatly benefit Trundle but thats another issue.

Sproule is a fantastic player and is someone who will get behind the defence with his pace. He doesnt have a great deal of skill or natural ability and this suffers occasionally with his final ball. Nevertheless, he is someone who is not scared of running at players and will put the fear of god up left backs. Therefore whether or not he delivers a great cross all the time, he does give the defenders something else to worry about and this will free up space for our strikers.

I'm sure he will be a vital player next season.

I meant it was his first season being a regular starter. That's my description of a full season rather than someoen who comes off the bench 30 times a year! I genuinely think he was tired and drained considering the amount of football he'd played compared to previous years. Hopefully he's learnt from that and will be able to perform consistantly (well) throughout an entire campaign.

Sorry mate I disagree he started 32 games for us last season which you call a full season but for Hibs he started 27 games in the 2005-06 season and then started 28 games in the 2006/07 season so unless those extra four games made a huge difference it kind of makes your above point mute. :innocent06:

Sorry mate I disagree he started 32 games for us last season which you call a full season but for Hibs he started 27 games in the 2005-06 season and then started 28 games in the 2006/07 season so unless those extra four games made a huge difference it kind of makes your above point mute. :innocent06:

05/06 18 league starts out of 38

06/07 16 league starts out of 38

07/08 31 league starts out of 46

I think it's a massive step up. And it's moot, not mute...

05/06 18 league starts out of 38

06/07 16 league starts out of 38

07/08 31 league starts out of 46

I think it's a massive step up. And it's moot, not mute...

You really don't like it if someone dares to query your post do you.

Yes your correct about league starts but you have conveniently left out cup games to put across your point.

He made 32 starts for us last season (league and cup) and in previous seasons with Hibs he started 28 games and 27 (league and cup) so your points about:

“his first full season in professional football”,

“it was his first season being a regular starter”,

“I genuinely think he was tired and drained considering the amount of football he'd played compared to previous years”

is as you anally point out moot or quite frankly a load of rubbish.

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/page/ProfilesDetail/...7~33263,00.html

:fastasleep:

Guest Eamer

I haven't seen Sproule play over pre-season but sounds good from what I've heard so far. Hopefully he can provide us with some great moments this season. He's has a year to settle in now and his speed can be devestating if he's worked on his end product. McIndoe had a great season if Sproule can emulate him then we'll be providing loads of chances for Maynard to put away.

Archived