IGNORED

No New Signings Before The Season Starts

Redland

Says GJ according to the BBC site. Whilst delighted with the signing of Maynard I thought we were supposed to be signing two strikers to replace Byfield And Showumni. Can't help wonder what happened to the exciting European player SL said we were signing at the open day. Also the replacement for Nick Carle. Fact is, over the close season we have lost more players than we have signed and presumably now have a smaller squad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ity/7542777.stm

Says GJ according to the BBC site. Whilst delighted with the signing of Maynard I thought we were supposed to be signing two strikers to replace Byfield And Showumni. Can't help wonder what happened to the exciting European player SL said we were signing at the open day. Also the replacement for Nick Carle. Fact is, over the close season we have lost more players than we have signed and presumably now have a smaller squad.

Agree but hopefully all will be sorted before the transfer window shuts and we don't pick up too many knocks or injuries in the mean time.

Carle definately needs replacing in my opinion, What would we do if LJ picked up an injury this week in training or on saturday at B'pool? GJ clearly doesnt like to play Noble in the middle and Williams was signed to play on the right.

we may not get promotion but we do have more money in the bag!!

It was a mistake to sell Carle, especially now Marvin is injured, but the way he played at the end of last season, with a full squad, poor old Lee Johnson wouldn't have got a game.

not sure why you say that?

Using figures quoted on here many times-

Carle Sale = +£500k

Playoffs = +£1 million

Maynard = -£2.25 million

Williams = -£300k

ST sales may be well up but certainly doesn't look like money in the bag to me!

It was a mistake to sell Carle, especially now Marvin is injured, but the way he played at the end of last season, with a full squad, poor old Lee Johnson wouldn't have got a game.

I wouldnt have said it was a ''mistake'' to sell carle, without selling him would wouldnt have been able to have got maynard. Players like nick carle are two a penny and IMO lee johnson is just as good if no better beacuse at least he chips in with goals and can set them up.

Maynard is much more valubale than carle would ever be, and when marv is back fit i don't think we even need to replace carle to be honest, i disnt see what carle ever brought to the team he was all running and not enough end product i was glad to see him go to make funds for players like Maynard.

I personally feel we still need more quality signings if we are to compete at the top end of what is likely to be a tougher league this year.

We failed last year because of our lack of goals. At the end of the season we then release our top goalscorer on a free along with Enoch. The reason? To obtain to better strikers for this campaign. We have achieved half of that but what about the other half, the competition for Dele? For me Brooker and Trundle are not good enough for this level, a poor pre season each has probably ended their chances of getting in the starting line up.

Then we sold Carle who for me was beginning to look quality at the end of last season. I would have liked to see Carle/ Elliott this season and as things stand, I feel our midfield is weaker than last season.

Defesively we let Vasko go (I think that was the right decision) but he was competition for McCombe. Given that we are ready for James Wilson to go out loan, have no real cover for him or at left back.

So I would still hope to see a further defender (preferably a quick one like Sonko at Reading or Primus at Pompey) and another CM to challenge LJ.

Carle Sale = +£500k

Playoffs = +£1 million

Maynard = -£2.25 million

Williams = -£300k

When did Steve sit down with you and tell you his budget was £1.05m?

I personally feel we still need more quality signings if we are to compete at the top end of what is likely to be a tougher league this year.

We failed last year because of our lack of goals. At the end of the season we then release our top goalscorer on a free along with Enoch. The reason? To obtain to better strikers for this campaign. We have achieved half of that but what about the other half, the competition for Dele? For me Brooker and Trundle are not good enough for this level, a poor pre season each has probably ended their chances of getting in the starting line up.

Then we sold Carle who for me was beginning to look quality at the end of last season. I would have liked to see Carle/ Elliott this season and as things stand, I feel our midfield is weaker than last season.

Defesively we let Vasko go (I think that was the right decision) but he was competition for McCombe. Given that we are ready for James Wilson to go out loan, have no real cover for him or at left back.

So I would still hope to see a further defender (preferably a quick one like Sonko at Reading or Primus at Pompey) and another CM to challenge LJ.

Sorry but I disagree.

Firstly, we didn't "fail" last year. We finished 4th and got to the play off final in our first season in the Championship!

You either have a short memory or have just missed all of the great things that Trundle and Brooker have done since being at the club. I was watching the season review video the other day and if you don't rate Trundle, you need to watch that video to see how great he was when he played. But he wasn't consistently playing (and fair enough because the rotation with Byfield worked) to be a top goalscorer or to impress all of the time. He's still a great player though and a very useful one to have, whether he's playing all the time or not. And Brooker hasn't really been given a go in this league due to injuries. Every time I've seen him though he looks quality, regardless of the division.

Fair enough about the midfield thing, I agree that perhaps it looks a little weaker than at the end of last season. Carle looked promising but still hadn't delivered yet. We received a good offer from Palace and nearly doubled our money with it so it was definitely a good deal to let him go. I think we've got enough midfielders though with Noble, LJ, Williams, Skuse, Elliott and several youngsters that could step in.

Maybe we could do with another defender but I think it's a case of 'we'll cross that bridge when we come to it'. If one of our centre backs gets injured, we can get another one then or one on loan. The last thing we want is too many players that start moaning because they're not playing regularly, which is what'd happen if we got another quality centre back and another forward in.

Personally I would go for quality over quantity every time but with Showumni, Vasko, Byfield, Russell and Carle all gone, Betsy on his way and only Wlliams and Maynard in we may be vulnerable in terms of cover if we are unfotunate with injuries or suspensions. Perhaps GJ feels the youngsters are ready to step up? Despite the potential problems of a smaller squad I trust GJ's judgement - there is no point in signing other players to simply make up the numbers if we can't get the players we have identified and want.

Agreed. Mixed messages over the break from GJ and SL and ultimately (apart from the exceptional signing of Maynard) must have been a close season of unprecedented frustration for them.

The intention always appeared to be to get 2 new strikers plus a replacement for Carle, and a defender but City seem to have been thwarted time and again whether the transfer sagas were played out in the public eye or not.

Williams was an opportunistic signing - became available and "too good to miss" but was neither a replacement for Carle or, presumably, a planned signing to strengthen a weak area.

Possibly 3 players down as things stand and only the untried youngsters to bulk out the squad to last season's numbers.

Roe, I think we will have to agree to disagree on the Trundle situation. I certainly don't need to watch a DVD of highlights to form or change my opinion. I have seen every minute of every game he has played in since he joined, league, cup & friendlies. He slow, is very one footed and doesnt score enough goals. Two in pre season (both pens) against lower league opposition highlights the problem. I remember when we faced him when we played Swansea. He was marked by Carey and didnt get a sniff. The reason? Carey is a top drawer championship centre half, of which there are many like him Trundle could face this season. Would love to be proved wrong and he scores loads but I just cant see it.

As for my failure quote, well I hear you. I just feel if we had better forwards then we maybe talking about a different league this season.

Roe, I think we will have to agree to disagree on the Trundle situation. I certainly don't need to watch a DVD of highlights to form or change my opinion. I have seen every minute of every game he has played in since he joined, league, cup & friendlies. He slow, is very one footed and doesnt score enough goals. Two in pre season (both pens) against lower league opposition highlights the problem. I remember when we faced him when we played Swansea. He was marked by Carey and didnt get a sniff. The reason? Carey is a top drawer championship centre half, of which there are many like him Trundle could face this season. Would love to be proved wrong and he scores loads but I just cant see it.

As for my failure quote, well I hear you. I just feel if we had better forwards then we maybe talking about a different league this season.

and it is one hell of a foot at that! :innocent06:

I would of liked us to sign a carle replacement but maybe we already have one in frankie artus.

GJ gave Artus some playing time in Portugal, however he was NOT selected for the next 3 matches, then had a short run on from the bench. Thats hardly an encouraging sign from GJ, I think GJ has made up his mind and Artus will be put on loan or out.

Forum fans said that Artus was a class above when he played reserves last season. For some reason GJ does not see him making the step up in class. 20 next month, big and strong, can head the ball, pass and score, but apparently not at Championship level and that happens to a lot of players.

totalled stumped on that one, only trying find out how poster came to conclusion we had money in the bag?

we've spent more than we've received as far as I can see!

Which will likely always be the case, until we're Man Utd. We just need to bridge the gap of our losses, which I expect we've done in the last 12 months.

I think that's the problem though. Trundle isn't going to score loads of goals, especially if he's not playing consistently. I just mentioned the highlights DVD as I saw it the other day and he looked quality there and certainly capable of Championship football. To mention a few, the crackers he scored against S****horpe, the way he went from nearly the half way line, taking on 3 Norwich defenders then slotting it past the keeper. Trundle was a big part in our succses last season and I just think a lot of people seem to miss this. I guess it's just opinion though but I'm still glad we've got him as one of our main players.

I think that's the problem though. Trundle isn't going to score loads of goals, especially if he's not playing consistently. I just mentioned the highlights DVD as I saw it the other day and he looked quality there and certainly capable of Championship football. To mention a few, the crackers he scored against S****horpe, the way he went from nearly the half way line, taking on 3 Norwich defenders then slotting it past the keeper. Trundle was a big part in our succses last season and I just think a lot of people seem to miss this. I guess it's just opinion though but I'm still glad we've got him as one of our main players.

Not a" big "part of our success last season, just a part. He was however the biggest part of BCFC publicity. At 32 this season, I cant see a major improvement in speed or the use of both feet. I do agree though that he is very professional, gives his best and has a positive team attitude.

For me Brooker and Trundle are not good enough for this level, a poor pre season each has probably ended their chances of getting in the starting line up.

I disagree. Until Maynards hat trick against Antwerp, I thought Brooker has looked the strongest of our strikers in pre-season. Havent seen much of Trundle but his form at the tail end of last season suggets he could cut it at this level.

Hi guys, first message left on here, so be kind!!!

i thought Truns played well at end of season but didnt live up to is price tage, that figure carries a big burden but with Truns I thought he had the character and personality/attitude to carry it off.

I would like to see Dele and Maynard up there. How about Brooker playing just off those 2? do a 4-3-1-2? Brooker is deseptively quick and plays some good through balls, he certainly did against Antwerp.

I don't know about you guys but I cant wait for Saturday. I got good feeling about this season.

Carle Sale = +£500k

Playoffs = +£1 million

Maynard = -£2.25 million

Williams = -£300k

I think the figures are more like:

Carle Sale = £1 million

Play off Crystal Palace = £0.5 Million

Play off Wembley = £2 Million (could be more; all the receipts after expenses going to City)

Season Tickets = £5.5 million

Williams = £100k (I had £300k down a few weeks ago but was corrected by hedgehunter)

Maynard = £2.25 million

So, ignoring Season Tickets and the full home gates at the end of last season we have spent £2.35 million and picked up £3.5 million.

i thought Truns played well at end of season but didnt live up to is price tage, that figure carries a big burden but with Truns I thought he had the character and personality/attitude to carry it off.

Does anyone think Trundle could play in the centre of midfield? - he hasn't got the pace really to play up front, but has great vision.

It is without doubt safe to say that we are currently a couple of players short on where we would like to be. I still think we need another midfielder and striker. Ive been encouraged by Ribero and with Wilson and Fontaine in the mix as well our immediate defensive options are ok, albeit limited. I think that if LJ were to get injured then we may see Williams come into the middle and be replaced by Sproule or Noble out wide as long as he is centre of the park fit. I have no doubt that we will have a couple of new faces on board before the window shuts, most likely a target man, a flexible midfielder and a centre back.

I think the figures are more like:

Carle Sale = £1 million

Play off Crystal Palace = £0.5 Million

Play off Wembley = £2 Million (could be more; all the receipts after expenses going to City)

Season Tickets = £5.5 million

Williams = £100k (I had £300k down a few weeks ago but was corrected by hedgehunter)

Maynard = £2.25 million

So, ignoring Season Tickets and the full home gates at the end of last season we have spent £2.35 million and picked up £3.5 million.

Be honest, you are completely making those figures up.

It doesnt matter that we are not signing anyone before Blackpool because it would have been too late for him to play in that game anyway. In many ways I glad because last Friday and this week will have given the team chance to practice together and plan our tactics for Saturday.

What I am certain, is that we will see new faces down the gate before Aug 31st. One will be a striker and one will be a centre back. :city:

Think we've not finished in the transfer market yet, but have correctly geared this week toward the first league game.

Whatever the debates over the contributions of specific players the whole squad contributed last year.

And let'd not forget we used the least amount of players than anyother team at this level, so even if Trundle didn't live up to the huge expectations some had for him he still played his part.

The squad might still be a few bodies from being perfect, but I for one am grateful we've kept hold of the vast majority of those from last year.

Byfield, despite his top scorer status, was not integral at any stage; Enoch even less so.

Betsy and Russell played no part in our season and, despite looking pretty class in about a third of his 17 games, Carle had yet to really make himself central to the team (in my opinion of course).

We probably need another all-action midfielder and centreback still, although now Keogh is unwanted elsewhere could he possibly be press-ganged into service?

Still time people, let's just enjoy the first few games of the season and panic when the window is a bit less than 26 days away!

Archived