IGNORED

Poor Attendances

westy

I have been surprised about the very poor attendances at both Royal Antwerp & Peterborough - all the talk about real fans, supporters etc... and people can't even be bothered to pop round the corner for a tenna to see how the squad is getting on!!

I have been surprised about the very poor attendances at both Royal Antwerp & Peterborough - all the talk about real fans, supporters etc... and people can't even be bothered to pop round the corner for a tenna to see how the squad is getting on!!

Its not about being a real fan, it's about having enough money to attend all the games so people have to pick and choose.

Up and the country early cup rounds are not well attended, it just shows what weight is placed on the League (quite rightly). With the League Cup and FA Cup there are too many games for most fans. Attendances will creep up if we start to perform in the next rounds and people get into it. At least we don't have the JPT to worry about anymore! :-)

For many in the current fiancial climate it will be straight choice between attending last night or going on Saturday v Derby, you can't blame people for opting for the latter.

Also I can only assume that you also don't have a mortgage and kids and other financial responsibilitys, if you did you wouldn't be starting daft threads :fastasleep:

And yes I was there last night for my sins......what a pile of crock :disapointed2se:

This thread wasn't meant to start a discussion about real fans or not that to me is all a bit childish - what I am disappointed with is that 5,500 is not many based on last season and the exciting new season ahead.

I know they aren't great games and the teams may be adjusted accordingly however just thought general interest would / should be higher than it is. I have seen very few regulars sitting near me at these games (thus being surrounded by screaming kids - but thats another story!!) and think that to see how everybody is shaping up is great and also provides more funds for BCFC.

This thread wasn't meant to start a discussion about real fans or not that to me is all a bit childish - what I am disappointed with is that 5,500 is not many based on last season and the exciting new season ahead.

I know they aren't great games and the teams may be adjusted accordingly however just thought general interest would / should be higher than it is. I have seen very few regulars sitting near me at these games (thus being surrounded by screaming kids - but thats another story!!) and think that to see how everybody is shaping up is great and also provides more funds for BCFC.

Agree with the good to see the team when you can but not everybody's life can be solely city, kids family money whatever, I made it to the Cheltenham friendly (joke with rolling subs) and love supporting the team when i can

People are probably more concerned about putting a meal on the table and paying the mortage than provding more funds for the club!!

Threads like these are so irritating :disapointed2se:

People are probably more concerned about putting a meal on the table and paying the mortage than provding more funds for the club!!

Threads like these are so irritating :disapointed2se:

Come off it, it was £12 to get in.

If people are so skint they can't feed their kids, they should have thought about that before presumably forking out the best part of £500 for the season ticket...

If people are so skint they can't feed their kids, they should have thought about that before presumably forking out the best part of £500 for the season ticket...

exactly it cost more than than to take a bird for a slap up meal at KFC

you say that the attendances are poor, but i think 1500 city fans in a cold, wet and uncovered stand in blackpool is a ###### good attendance

and yes i was there last night

Not knocking the away attendance at all - usually we take up a fair amount of the ticket allocation if not sell out.

It's just my opinion that for the cost of a ticket and the amount of support BCFC has I thought most people who live local and aren't skint would attend and that has to be more than 5k

Sigh, must be nice to live in that little bubble of yours in BS1, I'm suprised the terraces arent all red and white, as thats obviously where all our 40,000 fans live...

Suprised they can all fit round the corner actually, must be 10 per house.

:fastasleep:

1sr round in Carling Cup against Posh (not offense meant but hardly a glamorous tie). 7.45 kick off - people generally wont finish work till 6ish and not everyone works in Bristol. Bigger, more important game on Saturday. Difficult financial cllimate. Crappy weather etc etc. Think thats enough reasons.

5,500 is not a bad attendance - remember tha gas get that for some home league games!

Having said that, I do wish people would stop using the "I take you don't have a mortgage and kids to feed" stance as if people without a mortgage and kids might not be struggling financially.

I was there last night and must say that we were poor but we still WON. Sometimes playing badly and getting a result is not always a bad thing?

Sigh, must be nice to live in that little bubble of yours in BS1, I'm suprised the terraces arent all red and white, as thats obviously where all our 40,000 fans live...

Suprised they can all fit round the corner actually, must be 10 per house.

:fastasleep:

Not a bubble just think that the club is after progression - the club is doing their bit by investing and delivering on the pitch but if the we can only 5k ish out of those 40,000 then we are going to look silly in our brand new 30-40k seater stadium!!

I like many others don't live in bristol, also me like many others work nights and cant afford to take the night of work to watch city I'm already having to use 5 days holiday to go to home games in midweek this season :ranting: : of course that is subject to change could be more,I'm sure many people are in the same boat,i wish i could attened every game but sadly cant

Look around the country in comparsion to temas average attendances most teams got well below.

Look at sheff wedensday they only got 16,000 which for them is very poor, before you start salgging peoples support of i think you should look at other teams first.

O and i am assuming you went last night?

don't see why you are suprised?

the Antwerp & Peterboro attendance are about average for those type of games? Pre-season friendlies and Early round cup games are NEVER big crowds regardless of the opposition......I don't see the issue, crowds will be back to normal for the cup games.

you just need to go back a few years for a cup game where we played Rovers and it didn't even get 10k.....cup games don't mean anything and just don't bring in the crowds unless you are playing a Top Prem team.

Look around the country in comparsion to temas average attendances most teams got well below.

Look at sheff wedensday they only got 16,000 which for them is very poor, before you start salgging peoples support of i think you should look at other teams first.

O and i am assuming you went last night?

yes i did and it was awful but that is not my point - I am not having a pop at individuals cos obviously people will live too far away, not afford it, be at work or on holiday etc.. I am saying that as a collective our support was a poor ratio for example if you say we have 40,000 fans I would expect more than 1:8 to make it.

Don't get your point about sheff wed cos that's exactly what we are aspiring to (and 3 time more than we had) and what it needs to be when the new stadium arrives!!

don't blame anyone for not going. Wet, cold, windy, first round, lower league opposition..... all these are to be considered especially when you have a lack of funds......

I did go, as i thought it was an ideal opportunity to take my 7 yr old nephew to his first game - so, if he got bored, we could go and i would'nt be too fussed. But despite this being the worst football match i've seen in a while, he enjoyed it! :)

yes i did and it was awful but that is not my point - I am not having a pop at individuals cos obviously people will live too far away, not afford it, be at work or on holiday etc.. I am saying that as a collective our support was a poor ratio for example if you say we have 40,000 fans I would expect more than 1:8 to make it.

Don't get your point about sheff wed cos that's exactly what we are aspiring to (and 3 time more than we had) and what it needs to be when the new stadium arrives!!

But your basis it on a totally incorrect figure........we don't have 40k fans......Yes, near to 40k went to wembley, but a large amount of them aren't actually fans and just went for the day trip, many people who went to that game wouldn't go to any other City game, never have before and are unlikely to go again.

We have a core group of about 20k fans who regularly attend games.

As I said before though, there is nothing SUPRISING about a low attedance for a games against Peterboro and Antwerp.

I was disapointed with the attendence. After all it was the first chance to see the lads at AG this season which is why I went.

I know that the game was against lower league opposition which partly explains the low gate but if City draw a PL side in the next round at AG then you can expect a 15000+ gate.

Those who claim financial reasons for not going last night will suddenly have the cash availble to watch better quality opposition.

I was disapointed with the attendence. After all it was the first chance to see the lads at AG this season which is why I went.

I know that the game was against lower league opposition which partly explains the low gate but if City draw a PL side in the next round at AG then you can expect a 15000+ gate.

Those who claim financial reasons for not going last night will suddenly have the cash availble to watch better quality opposition.

To be fair when we played man city last season the attendance was very poor!

And why not? If people have to watch the pennies, they will naturally make a more determined effort to make the more attractive games. Nothing wrong with that.

To answer the original poster...

I rarely attend friendlies or early round Carling Cup games and haven't attended any yet this season.

It's expensive enough to fork out for a season ticket without paying the extra for "non-event" games like friendlies and early cup games.

The league is the prime objective and that's when you'll see the crowds.

the reason I am surprised is that I believe in the 4 year plan and that SL wants us to be a big club therefore looking back at figures we are doing well but that is not the point looking forward and the potential of BCFC I suppose I had expected more of the potential market of BC fans to attend maybe I'm wrong to be surprised but surely these figures are important discussions in the board room and will dictate future growth & investment plans.

Got kids and a family yourself have you ? What about us who don't live in Bristol and have to travel as well , makes us no less of a fan .... may i ask did you bother with Palace away and all those other pain in the backside journeys last season ?

the reason I am surprised is that I believe in the 4 year plan and that SL wants us to be a big club therefore looking back at figures we are doing well but that is not the point looking forward and the potential of BCFC I suppose I had expected more of the potential market of BC fans to attend maybe I'm wrong to be surprised but surely these figures are important discussions in the board room and will dictate future growth & investment plans.

Then they will have noticed last night that a game which would have normaly drew a gate of less than 4000 was significantly higher than normal.

Archived