IGNORED

Derby And Memory Lane

riddlesdown red

CAN ANYBODY HELP WITH YEAR AND SCORERS. IT WAS A MIDWEEK GAME IN THE OLD FIRST DIVISION AND IT HAD POURED ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT. I MADE MY USUAL WALK FROM WHITCHURCH TO THE GATE VIA KNOWLE. IT WASN,T A GOOD ATTENDENCE DUE TO THE ATROCIOUS WEATHER AND I STOOD IN THE OPEN END WITHOUT A BROLLY AND WAS WET TO THE SKIN. WE WENT TWO NIL DOWN AGAINST A DERBY TEAM WHOM I BELIEVE WERE STRUGGLING AND I AM SURE DEREK HALES SCORED ONE OF HIS FIRST GOALS FOR DERBY. WE MANAGED TO GET OURSELVES BACK FROM THE DEAD AND DRAW 2-2 (JUST LIKE THAT FIRST SEASON WITH THAT GAME AT QPR) ONE OF MY MEMORIOES OF THAT GAME WAS THE FACT THAT WHEN DERBY SCORED I ACTUALLY BELIEVE ONLY 1 FAN IN THE WILLIAMS STAND STOOD UP TO CHEER. CAN ANYONE FILL IN THE GAPS. THE POINT OF THIS RAMBLING, PROBABLY YOU ALWAYS REMEMBER THE PASSED WITH FONDNESS EVEN IF IT WASN'T REALLY THAT GOOD IN THE FIRST PLACE.

cant help with that sorry, but what i do remember is i was once a mascot vs derby at the gate, what seems to be years ago now.

was a night game, had my picture taken with a youthful looking brian tinnion, and gary shelton hit a long pass to me that caught me in the stomach and winded me. as for the match, it was terrible! we drew 0-0 and the closest we came to a goal was a 30 yarder from martin kuhl that smashed the cross bar...

good days!

Tuesday 15th March 1977

The Scorers were:

City: Sweeney 63. Fear 85

Derby: Daly 28. Hales 34

Ref: B Daniels

Attendance: 18,552

City Team: Shaw Gillies Merrick Sweeney Collier Hunter Mann Ritchie Garland* Gow Whitehead Fear

Report:

Gillies swith to centre forward after the break sparks City recovery. Derby so impressive early on when Gary Daly volleyed in from 25 yards are made to pay for their compacent attitude in the 2nd half . Sweeney's 25 yard shot on the run and Fear's drive earn City's point.

Hope that helps

More info on City Stats site : http://www.citystats.org.uk/score.asp?selT...tnSubmit=Search

CAN ANYBODY HELP WITH YEAR AND SCORERS. IT WAS A MIDWEEK GAME IN THE OLD FIRST DIVISION AND IT HAD POURED ALL DAY AND ALL NIGHT. I MADE MY USUAL WALK FROM WHITCHURCH TO THE GATE VIA KNOWLE. IT WASN,T A GOOD ATTENDENCE DUE TO THE ATROCIOUS WEATHER AND I STOOD IN THE OPEN END WITHOUT A BROLLY AND WAS WET TO THE SKIN. WE WENT TWO NIL DOWN AGAINST A DERBY TEAM WHOM I BELIEVE WERE STRUGGLING AND I AM SURE DEREK HALES SCORED ONE OF HIS FIRST GOALS FOR DERBY. WE MANAGED TO GET OURSELVES BACK FROM THE DEAD AND DRAW 2-2 (JUST LIKE THAT FIRST SEASON WITH THAT GAME AT QPR) ONE OF MY MEMORIOES OF THAT GAME WAS THE FACT THAT WHEN DERBY SCORED I ACTUALLY BELIEVE ONLY 1 FAN IN THE WILLIAMS STAND STOOD UP TO CHEER. CAN ANYONE FILL IN THE GAPS. THE POINT OF THIS RAMBLING, PROBABLY YOU ALWAYS REMEMBER THE PASSED WITH FONDNESS EVEN IF IT WASN'T REALLY THAT GOOD IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Probably 79/80 season when both clubs were relegated.........

Cant say I remember the result

Cant say I remember the scorers

But the guy who stood up was Mr David ............. no cant remember him either

But you are confusing 2 down comeback with Coventry away (not QPR)

I remember that game, I seem to remember that Gerry Daly (irish international) scored 2 screaming volleys for Derby. I think Keith Fear scored 2 for us, I am sure this was the game when he scored a fantastic goal from the edge of the box. The ball came to him and he juggled it from one foot to the other and back again before volleying it into the top corner.

He could do stuff like that if he was in the right mood, which wasn't often enough unfortunately.

I remember that game, I seem to remember that Gerry Daly (irish international) scored 2 screaming volleys for Derby. I think Keith Fear scored 2 for us, I am sure this was the game when he scored a fantastic goal from the edge of the box. The ball came to him and he juggled it from one foot to the other and back again before volleying it into the top corner.

He could do stuff like that if he was in the right mood, which wasn't often enough unfortunately.

No Sweeney and Fear scored for us and Daly and Hales scored for Derby see my post above

Bit more modern day but does anyone else remember City at Derby, must have been earjy to mid 90's. Live on ITV I believe it was, if memory serves we won 4-3 with Wayne Allison notching a couple, possibly three. Can anyone shed light on what was is a childhood memory for me?

Bit more modern day but does anyone else remember City at Derby, must have been earjy to mid 90's. Live on ITV I believe it was, if memory serves we won 4-3 with Wayne Allison notching a couple, possibly three. Can anyone shed light on what was is a childhood memory for me?

6th Sept 1992

City team: Welch Mitchell Scott Thompson Bryant Osman Mellon Harrison* Dziekanowski Allison Shelton Bent

Scorers

City: Scott 36 pen Bent 75 Comyn 78 (OG) Allison 88

Derby: Simpson 10,12,79

Ref: P Harrison

Att: 12,738

Report:

For incident, controversy and attacking football this live TV spectacular could hardly have been bettered. Early on it looked a case of how many were derby going to get, but Steve Sutton's dismissal forn pulling at Shelton's shirt to prevent a 35th minute goal transforms the game.

6th Sept 1992

City team: Welch Mitchell Scott Thompson Bryant Osman Mellon Harrison* Dziekanowski Allison Shelton Bent

Scorers

Report:

For incident, controversy and attacking football this live TV spectacular could hardly have been bettered. Early on it looked a case of how many were derby going to get, but Steve Sutton's dismissal forn pulling at Shelton's shirt to prevent a 35th minute goal transforms the game.

Thanks for that. What a game indeed, cleary his late winner over-excited my memory of his performance!

6th Sept 1992

Scorers

Report:

now this i do remember very well. if sutton would of just let shelton score and not given away the pen we would of lost 8-1 or similar but he didnt and got sent off. paul williams, the midfielder went in goal and i can just remember him laughing as the goals went past him. their fans were less than pleased. they were the favourites for promotion and had spent a relative fortune at the time on players such as paul kitson and gabbiadini (possibly) and also a big centre back i cant remember the name of.

i remember watching the video when i got home and seeing myself in front of the camera at the front going ballistic as we celebrated waynes winner. happy memories.

i seem to remember city beating derby 6-2 in the 70's

can anyone remember that?

5th Jan 1980

F.A Cup 3rd round

City 6 Derby 2

City : Shaw Tainton Whitehead Gow Rodgers Merrick Prichard Fitzpatrick Ritchie Mann Garland

Goals:

City: Garland 6,85 Pritchard 12,61 Whitehead 38 Mann 88

Derby: davies 84 Daly 87

Att: 13,384

Ref: D Civil

Report:

Goals galore as City notch up their record cup win over top-flight opposition. Pritchard's return to the side works wonders notching up two goals himself, a stab in and a fierce shot into the roof of the net, as well as having sent over the corner for garland to head city's opener...

The ITV game was amazing! It had everything, always good for a laugh when an outfield player goes in goal.

Good old Wayne, towering header in the last minutes of the match.

That's a game I'd love to watch again. The club should do a DVD.

The ITV game was amazing! It had everything, always good for a laugh when an outfield player goes in goal.

Good old Wayne, towering header in the last minutes of the match.

That's a game I'd love to watch again. The club should do a DVD.

I still have that in my old VHS box somewhere! the sight of sutton trying to mate with gary Shelton in the box was a highlight.

He grabbed him entirely around the waist and hauled him down right in the 6 yard box!!

If Paul Taylor had been the ref, he'd probably have booked Shelton.

Those were the days when there used to be decent highlights on the TV.

No Sweeney and Fear scored for us and Daly and Hales scored for Derby see my post above

Fair enough I didn't see your post before I added mine and it was a long time ago. I still stand by my description of Fear's goal though and it was Gerry Daly rather than Gary, he played for Man Utd before joining Derby and I remembered him scoring with one volley but thought he did it twice.

6th Sept 1992

Scorers

Report:

Oh yes!!! Now you're bringing back happy memories! What a game, live on a Sunday afternoon! The lad who deputised in goal for Sutton was tiny. I'm sure one of the goals just went sailing over his head because he couldn't reach it.

I also remember the whole of Ashton Gate (well, all except the Derby fans) chanting "4-3! We beat the Derby 4-3!" during the return fixture.

Good times! (to paraphrase another famous City fan)

was a great day out and the match had everything :laugh:...and the sending off changed it all for us thank god

as i now live up nr derby and work with derby fans :disapointed2se: ive had to remind them of the fact we beat em on tv before :icecream: and will do again on saturday :city:

also remember there was a lot of trouble coming out of the baseball ground :bruce_h4h:

I believe there was another strange pair of games in the late 70s/early 80s. Derby visited for a league match and won 2-0. They returned the following Saturday for a FA Cup game and City won 6-0 with garland scoring at least twice.

Which year was that please?

afternoon robins,

i remember the 4-3 at the baeball ground, steve sutton just grabbing him around the waist. always remember andy comyn coming on adn scoring an absolute beauty into his own net with his very first touch.

i also remember winnig at ashton gate, i think 3-2, or 4-3, it was a beautiful sunny day, i remember playing footy in bristol on some park in shorts and tee-shirt, and about half way through the game it absolutley threw it down and the terrace was open so we all got soaked. the funniest thing i remember about this is after the final whistle the derby fans were kept inthe ground and after it had emptied, one of the Bristol city players came out and started running around the outside of the pitch, it was clearly some type of punishment, your then manager had obviously sent him out, and the only peple in the ground were 3-4000 derby fans exceedingly happy after seeing us win, he received so much abuse and you could see him slowing down everytime he got near the derby end and absolutely sprinting along that side, i actually felt sorry for the guy. this was mid nineties as well.

That game at Derby was the most incredible turn around i have ever witnessed ! We were dead and buried till the sending off just before half time and even after the pen was scored and in to the second half we were second best and i thought we would lose even aginst 10 men. I think the scoring went 2-1 then 3-1 to Derby and then we came back and the look on the locals faces when we won it in the final minute was worth the admittance a hundred times over ! No wonder they went ken mental after the old bill let us out! Remember seeing women and kids with head injurys from missiles thrown by Derby fan s and then city mob taking violent revenge!

apart from the result i,d rather forget that game got arrested for sticking my fingers up(no honest) while they were throwing anything they could get there hands on at us as we left the ground , got a 6 months ban and a fine , and guess what game my ban ended on yep you guessed it home to derby

Archived