IGNORED

Webster Signs (merged)

BITW

Yeh, part time league. :rolleyes: Rangers and Celtic could easily compete in the Prem and the 22 international caps also give him valued experience and shows that he is a good player. Its only a loan deal so his previous injuries don't worry me, if he gets injured we can send him back. Simple.

Regarding Keogh, i always liked him and thought he was a good player but then he became a bit of a greedy bastard and decided not to sign his contract and has rightly been frozen out in my opinion.

Ranger & Celtic would both be totally destroyed in the Premier League.

Maybe they could compete in the Championship, i dunno.. and we'll never find out, but the SPL on a whole is on par with league 1 at best. Its a very poor league.

Keogh's claiming JSA, hes out of contract and looking for a new club, he'll probably turn up at Bury or Oxford which is a shame because he had a fantastic future at this club and he threw it all away because his agent is, imo a clueless 5h1tstabbing retard.

I dunno exactly what deal he was offered, but i was several thousand £ a week and he threw it back in our face, there's gratitude for you.

hes never ever ever going to get to play at this level again on those wages, he could have had it all, and with fans who were, at one point completely devoted to him.

Why the hell do players sign on with these Agents? i really don't know, the FA must start to put its foot down and put a ban on agents entirely, its that simple. you don't pay them, you completely detach them from the game. they have nothing to do with football and any agent/person who gets money for a players hard work should be jailed or shot, its disgusting how they operate, horrible dirty parasites leeching off people, urrrrgh they make me sick.

don't any tell me that the players cant represent themselves either, what are they, all illiterate? I don't think so.

Whats near enough everyones problem with the SPL?

Its not as bad as you think it is.

Celtic and Rangers Could Both do well in the prem.

and the rest of the league is Championship level and maybe a couple that would b top of league 1.

You Continually rite off the SPL but look at the players in the Championship that get games for Championship teams but when they were in the SPL they coudnt get into the team such as....

Jamie McAllister( his last couple seasons at Hearts he barely got a game) and plays every game with City

Lee Johnson (barely played aswel)

Adam Virgo of Brighton.. went to Celtic was a complete flop.

McCormack of Motherwell last season played well and now hes in the Championship..hes taking it by storm

Barry Nicholson..played in SPL for years with Aberdeen and Dunfermline now hes at preston and scored on saturday.

Gary Teale played with Ayr United in Division 1 and now playin with Derby but on loan to Barnsley

Edit too Add ..... James McFadden and Gary O'Connor were with hearts and hibs and are doing good at birmingham

How did Rangers manage to get to the UEFA cup final last season? Celtic made the last 16 of the Champions League. No teams in the Championship would do that. Both would be fine in the Premier League.

Ranger and Celtic get into Europe every single year because the league they represent is so shockingly poor they have no real competition for the Euro places.

So I would say given the fact they are in Europe every year they are odds on going to spawn to the final at some stage.

I don't think you can say that no teams from the Championship could do that, because we'll never know... but i can assure you that if City or any other decent Champ got a EURO spot every single year they would do a hell of a lot better than Ranger and Celtic do!

When was the last time Ranger won it, what was it 1972?! :whistle: For a team whos in it every season thats a pretty atrocious showing wouldn't you think?

Ranger and Celtic get into Europe every single year because the league they represent is so shockingly poor they have no real competition for the Euro places.

So I would say given the fact they are in Europe every year they are odds on going to spawn to the final at some stage.

I don't think you can say that no teams from the Championship could do that, because we'll never know... but i can assure you that if City or any other decent Champ got a EURO spot every single year they would do a hell of a lot better than Ranger and Celtic do!

When was the last time Ranger won it, what was it 1972?! :whistle: For a team whos in it every season thats a pretty atrocious showing wouldn't you think?

Not really. They aren't expected to win it or do that well but Celtic in particular have done well in recent times. The didn't exactly do badly against Barcelona and they year before that they only lost in extra time to AC Milian. To say they would not be able to cope in the Premier League is stupid.

Maybe I phrased it wrong but how about this. I very much doubt that any of the sides in the Championship could do better in Europe than Celtic (or even rangers usually) or hold AC Milan over 2 games.

so that begs the question, why the f### did we let him go? :disapointed2se:

I'd imagine Vasko was not kept on because the pre agreed price we'd have to pay was too high. After all, he was only fourth choice, and GJ probably reasoned that in the event of an injury crisis he could bring somebody in of an equivilant standard without too much trouble, which given how long this transfer has taken compared to the others this summer we seem to have done.

When was the last time Arsenal won it?

Celtic And Rangers have both been in the Last 16 of the Champions league in last 3 years and both in the uefa cup final in the past 5 years

They are Underated by the people on this board!!

I think its an absolute cracking signing on paper,now we wil have to see how he perfoms but if he has 22 caps for scotland then you have to say he has sometning about him. Rangers signed him didnt they!! I think your right i slag off the SPL as much as anyone but you have two say Celtic and rangers on the whole hold their own in Europe. They have undoubted quality in both sides, so too dismiss them out of hand is crazy.

I think it shows that whilst Gary J isnt highly regarded by the media he is by his fellow professionals. Respect in all the right places.

Naismith,Darchville, McCulloch, Ferguson,Boyd are these the second rate players the people have been talking about. Well i think its safe to say they would get into any Championship side and most Premier League sides and Rangers still signed him, so give me Webster over Campo any day of the week.

Players that Gary has signed in the past he is known for getting the best out of them. Other clubs see the potential Gary J drags it out of them.

On the evidence so far Williams looks he could really have an impact.

How did Rangers manage to get to the UEFA cup final last season? Celtic made the last 16 of the Champions League. No teams in the Championship would do that. Both would be fine in the Premier League.

Thats really isnt true, I have nothin against scottish football, it just isnt very high standard.

Did you not see Rangers in the UEFA cup last season? They rode their luck big time on many occasions and got justly beaten in the final. As for Celtic, any team can turn on the style on big occasions when their is alot more cash involved, but can they play against high standard opponents like that week in week out? I doubt it.

Signings = Look at Webster for example, Rangers, A massive scottish club signed him from lowly Wigan cus even he himself said he struggled with the Premier League. Barry Ferguson, a flop at average prem team Blackburn is there star player. Alexander, signed from mighty Ipswich, etc.

As there teams are now, they would be bottom half finish at best in the Premier League. And are you "forgetting" Rangers result against that Lithuanian side? Or Celtics defeats by prem opposition this pre season? Works both ways.

Saying all that, They would compete comfortably in the Championship.

Great! - lets sign a crock from a part time league.

Whats GJs problem with Richard Keogh, IMO every bit as good as Fontaine.

nothing short of a purely comical posting........totally forgetting the comments about the Scottish Prem....

Keogh as Good as Fontaine.... :argh: what do you base that on? Keogh's performances last season at Huddersfield/Carlise and Cheltenham.....Keogh has nothing on Fontaine, either in terms of Football Ability or Professionalism to his job.

Barry Ferguson, a flop at average prem team Blackburn is there star player.

totally and utterly incorrect, Ferguson was EXCELLENT and probably the best player at Blackburn during his time there, he only really went their because he wanted play under Graham Souness, he asked to leave Blackburn because he wanted European Football and missed the Old Firm games, which personally speaking no game in the Prem can currently even slightly compare to...

As for Scottish Clubs progress in Europe, their problem is the scottish league over the years has been so weak that when they come to playing decent european teams they aren't used to their ability.....however in recent years both have reached European finals and have both made great progress in the Champions League, especailly Celtic in recent years against Milan

Did you not see Rangers in the UEFA cup last season? They rode their luck big time on many occasions and got justly beaten in the final. As for Celtic, any team can turn on the style on big occasions when their is alot more cash involved, but can they play against high standard opponents like that week in week out? I doubt it.

So what are you saying?! That a team playing ina crap league can beat Man Utd (for example) because there is a lot of cash involved?! I don't think so! You just turn up and beat Benfica at home just because there is a lot of money at stake.

Celtic have consistently done well in Europe in the past few years against top clubs- better than many PL sides would do let alone Championship ones.

You can use Ferguson as an example but you could switch it and use Henrik Larsson as an example. Works both ways...

Rangers did pretty badly but didn't Man City, a well established Prem side, lose to a mickey mouse outfit the other day too? Europe isn't a breeze you know and by seeing Celtic doing well in it, it shows they are a pretty good side.

I'm sure there is some link to Celtic and Rangers as to why Scotland have done fairly well in recent times at the national game too.

I've almost forgotten what this thread is all about listening to some of the latest comments.

Quote GJ. on Webster signing. 1. Rabbit out the hat. 2. Its a coup. 3. 22 games for Scotland. 3. Suits all parties. 4. Gary says he is free of injuries. Give the guy a chance. Nobody had heard of boom boom before he signed for us. I for one was absolutely gutted when he got injured on Sat. He was playing the best football I had seen him play up to his injury and I hope and pray he will be back as soon as possible. In the mean time Gary has reacted in the best way possible in getting a replacement until that happens. He's the manager. WE ARE NOT. :glare:

So what are you saying?! That a team playing ina crap league can beat Man Utd (for example) because there is a lot of cash involved?! I don't think so! You just turn up and beat Benfica at home just because there is a lot of money at stake.

Um what I'm saying is The Champions League is cup matches really, and as you know, anything can happen in cup matches. Its not quite a 38 game league is it? And yes More money involved will effect certain individuals into a higher standard of performance.

You can use Ferguson as an example but you could switch it and use Henrik Larsson as an example. Works both ways...

He harldy set the world alight since he left, though granted, he was getting on.

Rangers did pretty badly but didn't Man City, a well established Prem side, lose to a mickey mouse outfit the other day too? Europe isn't a breeze you know and by seeing Celtic doing well in it, it shows they are a pretty good side.

Difference is, Man City have another leg to play yet, you don't see Liverpool, Arsenal etc losing in qualifying when they have to do you?

I'm sure there is some link to Celtic and Rangers as to why Scotland have done fairly well in recent times at the national game too.

I'm not a Scottish basher and believe Webster is a good signing, I just believe that Its not as great as some people make it out to be.

• Admin
Great! - lets sign a crock from a part time league.

Whats GJs problem with Richard Keogh, IMO every bit as good as Fontaine.

It would appear GJ's main problem would be getting to meet him as he no-showed for pre-season training. (Which was his right of course, having not signed the new contract).

As for Keogh - since when has asking for a deserved pay rise been a crime. GJ should respect his desire to better himself.

I believe the original contract offered to him was very attractive financially but Keogh rejected it as he wanted selection assurances included that GJ wasn't willing to meet. Since then the offers have been for the minimum allowed in order to comply with the conditions for getting compensation should he join another club.

I'm not a Scottish basher.

From what you've said- yes you are.

I can understand Celtic maybe winning a one off cup game but they came through a tough group stage against 3 top European clubs. And then took AC Milan to 2 games which had to be decided in extra time. That isn't like the FA Cup- you don't just get by with luck.

They get massive attendances, can buy players worth 5m plus and would rip the Championship apart.

Let's just ignore the fact Henrik Larsson was amazing for Sweden at International level for his whole career. Then Barcelona wanted him- he muist have been Championship standard for them to want him!

From what you've said- yes you are.

I can understand Celtic maybe winning a one off cup game but they came through a tough group stage against 3 top European clubs. And then took AC Milan to 2 games which had to be decided in extra time. That isn't like the FA Cup- you don't just get by with luck.

Did you watch Rangers in the Uefa cup last year. They showed perfectly how you can beat better teams with very little quality. It's not luck although Milan missed alot of chances..but it's not representative fo their ability over the course of a season.

They get massive attendances, can buy players worth 5m plus and would rip the Championship apart.#

Sheff Utd bought James Beattie for £4 million in the champ. But no they wouldn't rip it apart, they'd be competing with Reading and Birmingham on a pretty similar level. Birmingham especially I think could coem out on top over a season against them.

Let's just ignore the fact Henrik Larsson was amazing for Sweden at International level for his whole career. Then Barcelona wanted him- he muist have been Championship standard for them to want him!

International level w00t. Emad Meteb, David Healy, international level means sod all. But Henrik was quality. But he also doesn't play for them anymore and hasn't since 2004! So is utterly irrelevant in a modern how good is todays Scottish league debate.

The SPL is rubbish, Celtic and Rangers would struggle in the Prem with their current set of players. After the massive increase in TV revenue they'd get if they stayed up they could get to the level of a Newcastle, a Sunderland being a big club with big support but who no player will go to join based on geography. Why they think they can attract world class stars just because of the TV revenue is crazy, you need a billionairre chairman before you can even think to compete.

However, the top players in the SPL are generally top players in the championship except strikers, and Andy Webster is proven as a top SPL player. certainly on a different level to the likes of McAllister up there. so there shouldn't be any doubt that he'd be up to the task in the championship.

Many top Championship players fail in the Prem, alot of ours would, and we're excited about seeing our players playing for us, so why not Webster?

I'm a SPL basher, and I think Webster will be a good signing.

Central defender at 6ft and 10st ?

That can't be right...

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=17432

My post was going to be similar, 6ft, 10st. does seem a bit light for a central defender.

General history of the guy is not particularly impressive. He may be one of these guys who can jump all over the place, with a little help from his elbows.

22 games for Scotland cannot be bad though.

But, I am sure, time will tell.

Good luck to the guy.

bit out of the loop up her lads and lasses, have i missed something is fontaine injured as well??

If not lets give the guy a decent run, think it cost us dearly when he was left out of a few games in the run in last season. and wasnt suprised by the prem rumours, why should this webster come straight in hasnt fontaine not proved himself enough??

Also probably another thread starting somewhere but kenton if he can get half his form back he had at norwich will be superb the bloke is absolute class.

Archived