IGNORED

Webster Signs (merged)

BITW

Do you think he was on GJ's list of targets or is he someone to just fill the void whilst Mcombe is out?

I'd guess he's someone they were aware of but who they weren't going to go for until injuries happened.

I would think if he does well (better than what we have) and wants to stay that door would be open.

With a game just 5 days away Johnson had to move quickly and I doubt whether Webster was a completely unknown to to the coaching staff at City.Johnson ain't going to sign a player he knows nothing about. The fact that he's loaned 'till the New Year makes perfect sense. City don't have an abundance of central defenders to call on and if Carey gets suspended/injured that leaves leave the pretty cupboard bare.

Plus if Webster goes back to Rangers in January, by then the transfer window is open again and Johnson will be able to bring another center back.

What interests me is why isn't this lad getting a game at Rangers and how far down the pecking order he is considering they only signed him on Perm deal in June?

they have only just sold their best defender in Carlos Cuellar to Villa? and yet are still willing to let Webster out on loan???

Odd,

either way hopefully he will stay fit during his 6 months with us, be interesting too see how fit he actually is and wether he will actually even be fit enough to start at Coventry?

either way, fairly decent signing

To welcome Andy Webster from Rangers. 6 month loan deal.....sounds like the guy is one for the future!

Welcome to Brizzle

sorry but a 6 month loan deal doesnt sound like one for the future, least of all ours, it sounds like a signing to fill the gaps we have for teh time being before GJ try's to buy a centre half who is ours.

looking foward to seeing him in action, didnt have a good time at wigan and his spell with rangers has been hampered so hopefully we can be the club he finds form for!!!

To welcome Andy Webster from Rangers. 6 month loan deal.....sounds like the guy is one for the future!

Welcome to Brizzle

your not the first......about a dozen others have done the same in the other thread.....it's the one called. ANDY WEBSTER???

yeah and what a nightmare few years he has had.

he was class act but then told to sign a new contact in 2006 by Vlad the Impaler at hearts or they wouldnt play him, so walked out under obscure EU rule and signed for Wigan. Couldnt cut it there so went to Rangers, then hearts took him to court for breah of contract and Webster lost, told to pay Hearts 625,000. Then in first training session was injured and hasnt really featured since.

Noble, Weale, Williams, Marvin, all arrived injury prone but seem OK now on the whole and our medical team have done wonders. Could be a great shout, we will see.

Great! - lets sign a crock from a part time league.

Whats GJs problem with Richard Keogh, IMO every bit as good as Fontaine.

Yeh, part time league. :rolleyes: Rangers and Celtic could easily compete in the Prem and the 22 international caps also give him valued experience and shows that he is a good player. Its only a loan deal so his previous injuries don't worry me, if he gets injured we can send him back. Simple.

Regarding Keogh, i always liked him and thought he was a good player but then he became a bit of a greedy bastard and decided not to sign his contract and has rightly been frozen out in my opinion.

Keogh will never play for our club again he messed up big time by not signing his contract. Thought he was better than he actually is now he aint even got a contract

However 'part-time' the SPL might be that doesn't make Richard Keogh any less out-in-the-cold...

If Webster is fit (and I very much doubt he'll have signed without a medical, considering the wages we'll be paying and his history) he be a fantastic signing.

You don't get 22 international caps before the age of 25 for any country (well, maybe Cuba...) without having something about you.

However 'part-time' the SPL might be that doesn't make Richard Keogh any less out-in-the-cold...

If Webster is fit (and I very much doubt he'll have signed without a medical, considering the wages we'll be paying and his history) he be a fantastic signing.

You don't get 22 international caps before the age of 25 for any country (well, maybe Cuba...) without having something about you.

You're quite right. By the way how many caps did that chap Vasco have?

so that begs the question, why the f### did we let him go? :disapointed2se:

I asked myself the same qusetion at the time.

Dunno how well he'd settled, what he would have cost and the like but even so it was a bit disapointing when he left.

But, hey-ho, got another international center back now; let's hope he's even better than Vasko promised to be!

Top of the SPL is good enough for the top end of the championship. Sure he'll do fine. Great signing in the circumstances or at all really. Now lets hope he's better than what we already have falls in love with the place and that we can afford to sign him up!

We sign anyone and various posters on this forum always start the doom and gloom, whether that's "he can't even get a game for that club, how's he good enough for us?" and/or "he's from a lower league etc. etc.

Hell, the same was said about Elliot if I recall.

On a slightly different note, I was reading up about the 'Webster ruling' on wikipedia and read this quote from Sepp Blatter with interest:

the verdict in favor of the player will have far-reaching and damaging effects on the game as a whole. [it] is... a Pyrrhic victory for those players and their agents who toy with the idea of rescinding contracts before they have been fulfilled

Goes a bit against his 'slave' comments about Ronaldo, doesn't it? What a fool.

We sign anyone and various posters on this forum always start the doom and gloom, whether that's "he can't even get a game for that club, how's he good enough for us?" and/or "he's from a lower league etc. etc.

Hell, the same was said about Elliot if I recall.

On a slightly different note, I was reading up about the 'Webster ruling' on wikipedia and read this quote from Sepp Blatter with interest:

Goes a bit against his 'slave' comments about Ronaldo, doesn't it? What a fool.

anyone who pisses off sepp bloody blatter is a friend of mine!

Sorry but I can't take seriously any league that included a parks team like Gretna in it, and as for saying Celtic and rangers would compete in the prem is hypothetical as it will never happen.

Whilst I am not a LJ hater I wonder if he will suffer the same fate as Vasko when he was blamed for Cardiff's goal last season whilst at least challenging for the ball - and never playing for the club again.

As for Keogh - since when has asking for a deserved pay rise been a crime. GJ should respect his desire to better himself.

GJ is the best manager we have had for many years and I believe we will be competing for promotion, unlike some fans exiting bthe Ateyo on sat but IMO he is not perfect. Blind faith is exactly that - blind.

Archived