IGNORED

Ivan Sproule's Dive

westred1

After all the threads from the last week about how disgraceful Emmanuel Ledesma is for diving and about the bad reputation he is getting from other Championship fans, our own winger comes on and does it to try and cheat his way towards a win.

I think it's a disgrace that we should have such a player on the team as it is unsporting.

If it was a player from QPR that dived, Ashton Gate would of been in an uproar of disgust! Why should it be any different towards our own players?

I actually applauded the referee as his decision was spot on.

Ivan Sproule should feel mighty disappointed with what he did and should apologise for his dive and should be dropped from the 16 or even fined.

dropped is a bit harsh lew, but there should definatley be a fine. i didnt like it at all too though bud.

i did have a bit of a go at him because i really hate players who do that.... then again he was doing anything possible to help the team... not condoning it but at least he wants to win

Totally agree, I hate cheating b*****ds. I hope he gets fined for it from the club. Disgrace.

I'm sure that if the ref had gave us a pen

and we got 3 points for it the club would be very happy

Just like any other club would

Right or wrong its part of the game

just has its been for years and years

I couldn't see it from the corner of the Atyeo. Looks like the Defender came across him. Maybe Sproule was thinking about their striker diving at the other end less than a minute earlier and thought he'd give it a go?

With an attitude like that, it always will be.

Fans that critisise other teams players for diving perhaps shouldnt be so righteous because if one of yours did it and won the game, then that would be fine. (If Sproule dived in the box today and we got a pen (and scored), 100% of us would be chuffed to nuts).

For example England fans calling players like Maradonna / Klinsman (etc) cheats yet conveniently miss the fact that we beat the Argies in 2002 due to a blatant Micael Owen dive.

great post mate,

if it had been a pen we would all be saying how much of a foul it was.... blah blah blah,

only because he got caught ure all having a go at him

great post mate,

if it had been a pen we would all be saying how much of a foul it was.... blah blah blah,

only because he got caught ure all having a go at him

I don't agree at all - whilst of course we would have celebrated the penalty at the time and the possible goal, I can't believe that we would have come on here and said "what a stonewall penalty"

I think the problem stems from the fact that refs seem to be very happy to give free kicks for blatant dives everywhere else on the pitch as a soft option - most people in the stadium can see its a dive, let alone those watching a match on tv. This encourages cheating bastards to try it on in the box.

Refs are clearly sensitive to the agro they would get by giving a pen, as the number of times someone goes down on the edge of the box and it's nearly always a free kick just OUTSIDE.

If refs were consistent, the number of free kicks would reduce I think, and with that (hopefully) the number of Sproule/Rooney/Owen etc etc etc incidents in the box.

Fans that critisise other teams players for diving perhaps shouldnt be so righteous because if one of yours did it and won the game, then that would be fine. (If Sproule dived in the box today and we got a pen (and scored), 100% of us would be chuffed to nuts).

No it wouldn't.

I suppose it was a 'whatever it takes' moment for him, wasn't even a convincing dive and I don't like to see our players result to that. He knew as soon as he had done it he was wrong as he clearly held his hand up in apology. It was a game though when we needed to go up a gear and failed.

I thought it was disgraceful and I was embarassed that a player at our club did that. Our club doesnt have to be one that cheats to win matches, doesnt have to surrond the ref, doesnt have to dive etc. We can go round things the right way. Although I think dropping Sproule would be harsh there should be some sort of fine. Most likely there wont be though, because as anouther poster has said its part of the game. My point though is that it doesnt have to be a part of our game

his ability to dive is in line with his ability to play football at this level, no player frustrates me more!

Were we watching different games?! Sproule looked quick, full of ideas and actually beat his man yesterday. He's looked a totally different player from last season and it would be nice to see him get more than a cameo appearance every week, especially with the dreadful performance of McIndoe yesterday.

With so many games now being filmed, I am surprised that the Authorities do not take a very hard line with blatant dives, with 5 match bans for individuals, and the power to dock points where games are won by cheating. It will never happen, as the worst offenders tend to be at the big, powerful Clubs. Personally, I am all in favour of a 5th official in the stand who can correct major decisions, such as whether the ball crossed the line, seriously bad penalty calls, or cheating Argies punching the ball into the goal.

In cricket, boundary fielders are now honest, and when a run-out is referred, the players body language will usually tell you if it is out or not - They know that they cannot influence video evidence by histrionic appealing, as used to happen. Maybe football needs to move with the times, as poor decisions can cost Clubs a lot of cash.

Gow and Tainton would have never lowered themselves to this and its not part of the BCFC way or should be.

Being sat in the Williams literally right infront of the incident I have to say that the reaction on this thread is incredibly over the top.

Diving is an unfortunate part of the game but part of the game it is. However I'm almost tempted to suggest that Sproule didnt infact 'dive'. Yes he went over when there appeared to be little to no contact, but the manner in which he did and what followed should avert such harsh words.

As far as I could tell none of our players appealed and none of theirs flinched with anxiety.

His touch was far too heavy, he 'dived' forward when realising he wasnt going to get it and never once appealed for a penalty, if anything getting up and immediately achknowledging that there was no contact. I hardly think a trumped up moral witch-hunt is in order.

Then you must've been dissapointed and annoyed when we beat the argies in world cup '02 because Owen dived in the box

No because of the history of past games and Argentina had more than earnt it.

Its not the Bristol City wayas we have had Trojans like Gow in the past as models for our players.

Anybody still remember Howard Pritchards effort v Plymouth? I still cringe now at the mention of his name and that highlight in his carear.

No because of the history of past games and Argentina had more than earnt it.

Its not the Bristol City wayas we have had Trojans like Gow in the past as models for our players.

so its ok for england players to dive against argentina because they deserve it back to them?

You have to treat each case differently?

Archived