IGNORED

Man Citys Take Over Worries Me

Barrs Court Red

Worrying words coming out from the new owners. They seem determined to play matches in the far east ect ect.

What really worries me is at this rate, the majority of Premier league clubs will be owned by foriegn investors. How long before they change rules to protect their investment, like scrapping relegations?

Would this kill off the other 72 clubs in the league over night?

It's a worrying prospect.

I believe that this is City related - Hence posting it in the City section. Where would we be left without a Prem entry available?

Worrying words coming out from the new owners. They seem determined to play matches in the far east ect ect.

What really worries me is at this rate, the majority of Premier league clubs will be owned by foriegn investors. How long before they change rules to protect their investment, like scrapping relegations?

I agree, could be worrying times :disapointed2se:

Good post - we could see franchises, and a closed shop Premier League, as in American sports. I found it interesting hearing some Man City fans on Setanta News earlier - all of them seemed delighted - which I found more than a little strange. These things can go very wrong very quickly. That said (although it now appears unlikely) I would laugh for a long time if they sign Berbatov.

I believe that this is City related - Hence posting it in the City section. Where would we be left without a Prem entry available?

It will end up in a mess with the fat wallets fighting each other. Passion for profit will dictate the game.

• Admin
Good post - we could see franchises, and a closed shop Premier League, as in American sports. I found it interesting hearing some Man City fans on Setanta News earlier - all of them seemed delighted - which I found more than a little strange. These things can go very wrong very quickly. That said (although it now appears unlikely) I would laugh for a long time if they sign Berbatov.

Same story on Five Live.

Incidentally, as we're always being told that Utd fans come from Surrey whilst City's fanbase is drawn directly from Manchester, I found it amusing that I didn't hear a single Mancunian accent belonging to any of the "lifelong City fans" who were calling in.

If a franchise style, non relegation, league happened they can keep it. I'd rather watch non league football than be part of closed shop. Regadless of City being in it or not. Football should be, was, about community. Supporting your local club not a franchise and a mascot.

I can't even see United, Aresnal fans etc going for it. Yeah you get the suits but we're still the life blood of this sport, normal fans.

It may not be a true 'Working class' game anymore but the roots still run deep.

:bruce_h4h:

Same story on Five Live.

Yes, heard a bit in the car.

Some bloke from Kent rang in to say how delighted he was, and in the same breath started banging on about his wife being a lifelong Bournemouth fan and intimating that was proper football. He also said that he was looking forward to going into work tomorrow to give the Man U fans in his office a load of stick. Priceless.

I would say without promotion and relegation it would be the end of the Premier league, not the other 72 clubs.

Take away the excitement from the game (and a fight to stay in the league is exciting to the fans), and boredom will soon set in.

Australia is a franchised league the only way to go out is to go bust, it's so boring I wish all the A league teams would go bust.

Parks football is more exciting to watch.

Take away the excitement from the game (and a fight to stay in the league is exciting to the fans), and boredom will soon set in.

Yes, fair enough, but I doubt there are many Stoke Fans in China, Baggies in Thailand, or Hull fans in Dubai - which is all the big money men are interested in. As long as the money keeps flowing, it doesn't matter where from.

American sport has been like this for a long time - but with a protracted play-off system keeping some interest alive for more teams than are in the hunt for the prem. They don't struggle with attendances, to be fair, although I agree that any such move would be a nightmare.

Interesting times ahead.

On the surface of it the money going into Man City will give them more resources than even Chelsea and make them odds on for a Champion's League place. So that'll be Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool (probably also going to the arabs), Arsenal, Man C, Newcastle, Villa and in a year or two QPR all desperate for one of the 4 Champion's League places to keep themselves and their mega-bucks owners afloat. Well it won't work - there are only 4 places to be had and those outside the Champions League won't be viable.

How will the money men react to not being in the Champions League? My take on it is that they'll try to start playing Prem ganes abroad but will then get blocked by UEFA and FIFA even if the FA are prepared to seel their souls. Then what? Maybe withdraw from the Prem and form a European League under UEFA control along with some of the other big names. No doubt a franchise system would be part of the entry requirements.

Where would that leaves us? Probably in the top tier of English football but with promotion to a European League by invitation only if we can raise the money to take on a franchise.

Would this be a good thing for us? Maybe, but it would mean that Bristol City would be very unlikely to ever at the very top level. Ever.

I don't see it as worrying how would they ever dictate rules?? the FA are in charge of the prem..and uefa in charge of the FA if club kicked up a fuse then Uefa would not bow to there advances..plenty more teams to fill thbere roten boots.

This has all happened before though hasn't it?

Chairman taking over football clubs that don't give a sh1t about the club's history or fans...the breakaway of the 'big 4' that eventually led to the creation of the Premier League.

The 'big 4' and the Premier League already couldn't care less about the other 72 clubs. It's been a real struggle for clubs outside the top flight since the start of the Premier league.

I don't really see the significance of foreign ownership as British owners at Arsenal and Man United set out to basically kill every club outside the top flight in the 90's. 'The lower league clubs are bleeding the game dry' said the fella from Man U?

The Premier League already make rules yearly to help the top flight. 7 subs in the league cup ?? Good advantage if you've got a nice big squad like the top 4...

At least The Championship is finally getting some recognition as a competitive, UNPREDICTABLE league ... and a better TV deal as a consequence.

I don't see it as worrying how would they ever dictate rules?? the FA are in charge of the prem..and uefa in charge of the FA if club kicked up a fuse then Uefa would not bow to there advances..plenty more teams to fill thbere roten boots.

The FA, and moreso UEFA are scared of the big Euro clubs and will bend over backwards for them, incase they take their ball and set up a Euro league.

Interesting times ahead.

On the surface of it the money going into Man City will give them more resources than even Chelsea and make them odds on for a Champion's League place. So that'll be Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool (probably also going to the arabs), Arsenal, Man C, Newcastle, Villa and in a year or two QPR all desperate for one of the 4 Champion's League places to keep themselves and their mega-bucks owners afloat. Well it won't work - there are only 4 places to be had and those outside the Champions League won't be viable.

How will the money men react to not being in the Champions League? My take on it is that they'll try to start playing Prem ganes abroad but will then get blocked by UEFA and FIFA even if the FA are prepared to seel their souls. Then what? Maybe withdraw from the Prem and form a European League under UEFA control along with some of the other big names. No doubt a franchise system would be part of the entry requirements.

Where would that leaves us? Probably in the top tier of English football but with promotion to a European League by invitation only if we can raise the money to take on a franchise.

Would this be a good thing for us? Maybe, but it would mean that Bristol City would be very unlikely to ever at the very top level. Ever.

The european league ( or even world league ) will be created . Been discussed by many for the last few years but once the Chelsea's / Man Utd's don't have their usual yearly money spinners league because of other teams possibly in with a chance of displacing them , they will be the first to bring it to the table to start setting up .

Sky would then put their resource into those games and possibly we would see the loss in existance of many more clubs .

This can't happen quickly enough for me. Let the Premiershit play with themselves and watch them wither on the vine...

The FA should ban them from the FA Cup. They can play in their European Cup/League thingummy.

I've always viewed Fergie, Wenger and Benitez as people who play with themselves so it shouldn't be too hard for them.

Interesting times ahead.

Rubbish The reason that the far east watches english football and the rest of the world for that matter is because it is the Premier League. European football is technical better than english football but less exciting too watch. In fact watching italian football is like watching paint dry.

I do agree it will all end in tears in around 10 years time but it will be on of the big clubs goign bust because some billionaire play boy has withdrawn his funds to move on to his next project. That is what is in store for Man city IMO and they should know better they have been the brink before but when they go to the wall the next time only intervention from the very top will save them.

After all world wide the FA Cup is regarded as the best cup compettion bar none because non-league could in theory win.

So is this the begining of the end - no but it has signalled a change which means relegation could potentially be devastating.

Worrying maybe, but considering they have just gazumped Chelski in the most excellent way possible I would say its cause for immediate celebration :winner_third_h4h: HAHAHAHAHHAHA!!

Gutted Chelski fans, and gutted Roman you gypo pauper!!

:rofl2br: :rofl2br: :rofl2br: :rofl2br:

Oh and Bye bye Peter Kenyon you shit of a backstabbing snake, Roman's going to sack you for this one!! :icecream:

The Premier League will never break away.

I can see a few teams doing it, but where do you stop?

You can't seriously invite teams like Hull and Stoke, that with all due respect, (they DID get into the league) don't have the resources.

So, do you only break away the top 4? What about everton?

Top 5, top 6? Where do they break it off?

And a Euro league? Who do you let into that one? Where do you draw THAT line?

The Cypriot and Belarussian teams that will play in this year's Champions' Leage?

Are THEY invited into the champions' league LEAGUE?

AHH!! I'd lie to see all this happen, so i can see how the fudge they decide to do it!

The issues about football clubs as franchises, to be molded, moved, adapted and amended is, after all not without prescedent with the existance of the MK Dons. Back in the day, Robert Maxwell had his vision of fusing Oxford United and Reading to create a Footballing Frankenstein called Thames Valley Royals. This concept also accounts for the existance of Ebbsfleet United and Rushden and Diamonds, among others.

Now look at these concepts on a larger scale in terms of foreign investors/owners who have no altruistic interest in a local side and the value and relevance of the football club as part of that local community. In the 70s, my own personal footballing 'Wonder Years', foreign players were a rare and exotic breed in a sport which was still resoundingly parochial and the notion of foreign coaches/owners seemed as alien as the game being played 7 days a week to fit in with TV.

In my lifetime, wages have spiralled, the footballing authorities at every level have been undermined by money and the undiminishing power of the broadcasting media, players and their agents have become far more powerful, and the rules of the game have evolved to suit huge audiences, many of whom never venture into the stadia to watch the game in its natural environment. The changes our beautiful game has undergone in the last 30 years have brought us all to a place in time where the very roots of our game ( as perceived by a great many of us) have become blurred by external forces.

We have reached the point where yesterday's events, where within 18 hours, a team like Man City become the new plaything of foreign owners with an unrealistic agenda of breaking into the top 4 THIS season and winning the Chanpions League within 3 years, and subsequently put down their 'marker' by signing Robinho after bidding on him,Berbatov, Gomes and Villa (among others), is no longer THAT shocking.

La Liga and Serie A teams do not seem to have the tremendous financial clout that they once had, but their clubs' owners are not generally foreign investors looking at adding a football club to their investment portfolios, and their strong local identities have as a result not been as weakened as a result. I genuinely believe now that the concept of a club as a franchise is a real and frightening proposition, and if the current global financial situation prevails, the holders of the purse strings will not behave any differently in terms of their footballing investments, as they do in relation to their other interests, e.g. moving production to other locations to suit market forces, and this type of activity could lead to the soul being sucked out of the game.

The Man City take over could turn out to be great for the Premier League. Its been several seasons since any team has managed to break into the top four - largely its argued because of the finacial clout of the big four.

If QPR make it into the PL they could with thier financial muscle also threaten the top four.

Personally I think money is money and as long as it doesn't come from a dodgy Tony Soprano type source then its ok. I can't ever see PL matches with points at stake ever being played abroad.

Funny cus I was thinking the same thinking the same this morning.

The other thing that worries me is the state of the England team, and how this will drive more foreign players into the league and freeze out yet more England youths.

The amount of money being spend from the top half of the prem to us is just.. well unstoppable, with Man City now in it, the top four is pretty much sorted.

The game is going down hill fast in my opinion, its all about money, no loyalty and only for people with bags of cash.

Funny cus I was thinking the same thinking the same this morning.

The other thing that worries me is the state of the England team, and how this will drive more foreign players into the league and freeze out yet more England youths.

The amount of money being spend from the top half of the prem to us is just.. well unstoppable, with Man City now in it, the top four is pretty much sorted.

The game is going down hill fast in my opinion, its all about money, no loyalty and only for people with bags of cash.

Sorry about this post, didnt make a lot of sense did it. Was on the phone at work and didnt check it.

You will see a new league in the near future, probably a Europe league with all cream playing in it.

To be honest the prem has become boring we all know Man u or Chelsea will win the league, now Man city have joined in...

It is much more exciting in the championship, I would be quite happy if all the big boys played in the euro league so we have back the 4 divisions, promote some of the conference sides and lets make it a football league once more, for local fans and NOT A MILLIONARIES play ground.

:tumbleweed:

Pretty sure FIFA regulations would prevent this from happening.

Besides, these people buying clubs aren't stupid. Egotistical and arrogant maybe but not stupid.

Self interest would prevent them from locking up the top flight because that would kill the game.

More likely we will just see even more idiotic levels of transfer and wage spending and a few more clubs will be doing a Leeds.

I'd like to see the government look at legislation to protect community valued businesses like clubs from irresponsible ownership since the FA have proved they will do nothing about it.

Archived