IGNORED

Andy Murray

Ian M

Regardless of your allegiances you have to hold your hands up and congratulate anyone who can beat Rafa Nadal in four sets.

In the final he looked second best the entire time. Federer has now bought 13 t-shirts from Grand Slam finals and he is an absolute god of tennis. Murray did exceptionally well to achieve what he did.

I think his tactics against Nadal would have defeated Federer as well. Against the world number one he was aggressive, hit the ball on the line every time and forced his opponent back. It doesnt matter who you play against: those tactics will defeat anyone. In the end his final strategy was too tentative. I believe he felt that, because he could beat Nadal, he could beat Federer. He was wrong, because Federer was so much more aggressive than Nadal. Federer is the complete player who can come to the net whenever he wants, while Nadal and Murray can do it when they have/need to.

Credit must go to the Scotsman for achieving what he has but he is a fair way off securing a major title, at least while Federer is -30 years in age.

Does somebody not read the previous replies to understand the context it was said in?

Madger, your interpretation of it being "a leading question" is fair enough but not decisive for me.

Whether it was a leading question, whether Murray was naive in his reply, how much he "meant it", that he may have regretted saying it, are all by the by really.

Fact is he said it, and to whatever degree, meant it. I think it was genuine and reflected his true feelings, you seem to take it more as banter - but there was the wearing of the opposition shirt as well and the two add up to much more than naivity.

He's surrounded by a huge team of advisers who I suspect were horrified by what he said and did and quickly tried to limit the damage.

It didn't work for me and it seems many others.

Coupled with that, I wouldn't support Murrray even if he was English - I simply don't warm to him as an individual at all. I don't feel compelled to support someone simply because they're British and someone who is openly anti-English least of all.

Federer on the other hand seems a real gentleman whose demeanour on and off the court reflects everything that is good about Tennis and sport in general and is a pleasure to watch. A true Champion in every way and that's another reason why I'm happy ( as far as I'm bothered about Tennis at all) that he came out on top.

Regardless of your allegiances you have to hold your hands up and congratulate anyone who can beat Rafa Nadal in four sets.

In the final he looked second best the entire time. Federer has now bought 13 t-shirts from Grand Slam finals and he is an absolute god of tennis. Murray did exceptionally well to achieve what he did.

I think his tactics against Nadal would have defeated Federer as well. Against the world number one he was aggressive, hit the ball on the line every time and forced his opponent back. It doesnt matter who you play against: those tactics will defeat anyone. In the end his final strategy was too tentative. I believe he felt that, because he could beat Nadal, he could beat Federer. He was wrong, because Federer was so much more aggressive than Nadal. Federer is the complete player who can come to the net whenever he wants, while Nadal and Murray can do it when they have/need to.

Credit must go to the Scotsman for achieving what he has but he is a fair way off securing a major title, at least while Federer is -30 years in age.

i think the term great is used far too much in sport, but federer is a true great of the game, and a credit to the game, you could see last night how much that meant to him, people had written him off and i think that gave him the motivation. Just an all round decent bloke.

Madger, your interpretation of it being "a leading question" is fair enough but not decisive for me.

Whether it was a leading question, whether Murray was naive in his reply, how much he "meant it", that he may have regretted saying it, are all by the by really.

Fact is he said it, and to whatever degree, meant it. I think it was genuine and reflected his true feelings, you seem to take it more as banter - but there was the wearing of the opposition shirt as well and the two add up to much more than naivity.

He's surrounded by a huge team of advisers who I suspect were horrified by what he said and did and quickly tried to limit the damage.

Coupled with that, I wouldn't support Murrray even if he was English - I simply don't warm to him as an individual at all. I don't feel compelled to support someone simply because they're British and someone who is openly anti-English least of all.

Federer on the other hand seems a real gentleman whose demeanour on and off the court reflects everything that is good about Tennis and sport in general and is a pleasure to watch. A true Champion in every way and that's another reason why I'm happy ( as far as I'm bothered about Tennis at all) that he came out on top.

See I wish I could explain what I mean as well as You did Nogbad. Sums up my own feelings exactly.

Damage limitation was exactly what it was after the people around him realised what he had said.

• Admin

You are clearly entitled to "not like him" for whatever reason you choose but the shirt wearing incident didn't happen (as was being confirmed by Radio 5 today). For whatever reason a national paper decided to embellish that story but why didn't they publish a picture?

He is now. He certainly wasn't back in 2006.

All his "openly anti-English" behaviour goes back to that one comment and his only comments since about the English are one's of admiration for the achievements of the English rugby and cricket sides & how he has supported Tim Henman & Ricky Hatton. He even goes out with an English girl and lives in London......as well as being part English himself! He must really really hate every single one of us.

I challenge anyone to find a further quote displaying his "openly anti-English" attitude.

his only comments since about the English are one's of admiration for the achievements of the English rugby and cricket sides & how he has supported Tim Henman & Ricky Hatton. He even goes out with an English girl and lives in London......as well as being part English himself! He must really really hate every single one of us.

Murray's treacly attempts to suddenly praise everything English as listed by you only serve to convince me further that he meant what he originally said. These transparent efforts to regain favour with millions of alienated potential supporters have mostly fallen on deaf ears.

Does he despise everything English? Probably not. Does he actively support England's opponents in International football? Yes, almost certainly, he's said as much.

He lives in London because he needs to in order to further his career and it's not surprising he's met an English girl, or supports, as individuals, fellow sportsmen he comes across.

You are clearly entitled to like/support Murray and perhaps any underlying anti English sentiments are unimportant to you anyway.

As for me, and it seems many others, his comment was unforgiveable as regards ever giving him my personal support and we're not taken in by the damage limitation exercise so clearly undertaken in the aftermath of his massive faux pas.

As for me, and it seems many others, his comment was unforgiveable as regards ever giving him my personal support and we're not taken in by the damage limitation exercise so clearly undertaken in the aftermath of his massive faux pas.

You're being over-sensitive. Read his autobiography for a better understanding of Andy Murray.

I've just come back from Croatia following England and I can forgive him a bit of Eng/Scotland banter so why others feel they can't is beyond me. The truth is probably somewhere closer to your opinion of Scottish people / Scotland.

I love both playing and watching tennis, Murray is from these Isles and a superb player and I hope he goes on to win his first grand slam soon, the US Open certainly represents his best chance

Archived