IGNORED

Andy Murray

Ian M

• Admin

Did anyone else watch Murray's victory over Stanislav Wawrinka last night?

After struggling to a 5 set victory over the world number 48 Jurgen Melzer in the last round, Murray said "I'm not that good of a player that I can just blitz guys". Well, he made a mockery of that statement in the very next round as he produced probably the best tennis of his career, certainly the best I've seen from him - including his recent top performances in the Masters events of the last few months that he's done so well in, to smash the world number 10 Wawrinka 6-1 6-3 6-3.

It's probably a step too far to expect him to win this tournament, especially as he faces the in-form Del Potro (currently on a run of 23 straight wins in winning his previous 4 tournaments) in the next round to (probably) be followed by Nadal & Federer in that order should he succeed. However, it was a joy to watch a British lad (even if he's a Scottish Brit) pull off some of the strokes he did last night and if he does manage to repeat that performance on a more regular basis in the future then he may actually start to worry Nadal & Federer.

He's a quality player, no doubt about it. However, in my opinion, his surliness and arrogance over-rides this. What also annoys me is that the idiots who watch tennis two weeks in the year will start going on about what a 'winner' he is compared to Henman, who was a fantastic player for about eight years.

I love his attitude personally, as do the Yanks.

Murray will dwarf Henman's achievements in tennis, he has already won 6 tournaments (inc a Masters) in about two years.

Del Potro I don't know much about, it looks tough but this lad has gotta lose sooner or later?! On the hard court I'll go (and hope) for a Muzza win.

He's a quality player, no doubt about it. However, in my opinion, his surliness and arrogance over-rides this. What also annoys me is that the idiots who watch tennis two weeks in the year will start going on about what a 'winner' he is compared to Henman, who was a fantastic player for about eight years.

For a lot of people, he nailed his colours firmly to the mast as being anti English - when it rebounded on him, of course it was 'just a joke' or he was 'badly advised'

I don't believe either - he's a Scottish bigot and I hope he fades away.

Murray will dwarf Henman's achievements in tennis,

I think you're right, but that doesn't mean that Hemman was a loser with no bottle which is what we'll hear from some sections of the media and the wimbledon lovies (not saying you think that). Bottom line for me is that he comes across as a surly ####, but a very good tennis player. I suppose tennis, like golf, is a sport in which you need an incredible ammount of selfishness (or dedicatation, to be chartiable) to succeed.

For a lot of people, he nailed his colours firmly to the mast as being anti English - when it rebounded on him, of course it was 'just a joke' or he was 'badly advised'

A Scottish bigot?! He disguises that one well, being based in England, with an English coach, an English girlfriend and English grandparents. Don't believe everything you read in The Sun!

I think you're right, but that doesn't mean that Hemman was a loser with no bottle which is what we'll hear from some sections of the media and the wimbledon lovies (not saying you think that). Bottom line for me is that he comes across as a surly ####, but a very good tennis player. I suppose tennis, like golf, is a sport in which you need an incredible ammount of selfishness (or dedicatation, to be chartiable) to succeed.

Just to confirm I do absolutely rate Henman as a player. Had a superb career, a semi finalist at 3 of the 4 Slams. Should've reached a Wimbledon final. Had a great record against the very best players as well, allsquare on head to heads with the great Federer I think I'm right in saying.

Come on Murray - 2 sets up on Del Potro

It's an individual sport where players represent themselves for 95% of the year. Tennis and nationality doesn't really come into it except for the Davis cup and Olympics. And Murray pulls out of the Davis cup when he can and didn't bother preparing for the Olympics properly. So it doesn't stir up any national pride or feeling when i watch him.

Nadal seems like a nicer chap and plays a more entertaining and skillful brand of tennis. I'll be "supporting" him when they play.

It's an individual sport where players represent themselves for 95% of the year. Tennis and nationality doesn't really come into it except for the Davis cup and Olympics. And Murray pulls out of the Davis cup when he can and didn't bother preparing for the Olympics properly. So it doesn't stir up any national pride or feeling when i watch him.

Nadal seems like a nicer chap and plays a more entertaining and skillful brand of tennis. I'll be "supporting" him when they play.

I don't think Murray has ever pulled out of a Davis Cup tie unless injured? Why didn't he prepare for the Olympics? I thought he prepared quite well by winning the Cincinnati Masters a week before.

He's British so I do feel some allegience to him although granted not a great deal, I just also happen to think he's a very entertaining player.

Nadal plays some incredible tennis, often on the back foot, and I don't think he mixes it up like Murray. But their contest should be a good one as it's both their first US Open semi final appearances.

Murray has only ever run Nadal close once, their first meeting in the Aussie Open.

Hopefully Murray come come through, it would be great for British sport.

• Admin

The famous quote about supporting whoever England were playing was in response to a question from an English journalist asking if he was looking forward to following Scotland's progress at the forthcoming tournament (which they hadn't qualified for). It was merely the sort of banter rival football fans engage in every day at their workplaces but Murray was probably a bit naive to engage in it with a journo as the English press jumped on it.

The famous quote about supporting whoever England were playing was in response to a question from an English journalist asking if he was looking forward to following Scotland's progress at the forthcoming tournament (which they hadn't qualified for). It was merely the sort of banter rival football fans engage in every day at their workplaces but Murray was probably a bit naive to engage in it with a journo as the English press jumped on it.

So that explains why the brat wore a Paraguay shirt when England played them in the World Cup?

He's grown up a bit since then but he still irritates the hell out of me - not that I watch tennis much.

The guy has bottle you have to say that. You need that to beat Federer which he has done a few times.

Wish I had put a few quid on him winning the US open at the start of the tourney, its certainly looking possible now.

nadal will destroy him, he is good but not in the same league as the top 3 players.

Ah a Daily Mail reader! That story was MADE UP.

Really? How do you know that? It was widely reported on the media and never denied.

He said he would support anyone over England and that, coming from a Scotsman, is not surprising. Tongue in cheek or not ( and it didn't sound that way to me) it is a widely held view amonst a fair percentage of Scots.

That's fine, but it does mean as an Englishman I don't feel any obligation to show any interest or support for Murray who is Scottish and playing for himself first and foremost and Scotland second.

It's hard to understand English people who want to bask in the reflected glory of a non English Brit. who has made his negative feelings towards England perfectly plain.

Archived