IGNORED

Nicky Maynard A Disappointment Some Say ...

Spiderman

Maynard will come good! IN GJ WE TRUST!

Not when it comes to strikers I don't!

Maynard still has time on his side, I don't think it's fair to make comment until Christmas time by then we'll know if he was just slow out the blocks or Johnson has signed another attacking flop.

We could have 3.5 Million worth of striker keeping the bench warm very soon.

I don't remember seeing anything that made me think 'good effort'.

A shot on target doesnt necessarily mean it required a world class save to keep it out. I'm sure Bas Savage has plenty, doesnt make him any more potent.

So true.

Like Maynards back pass at the end of the first half against QPR. It was a shot on target and that's what the statistics will show but in truth it was a pathetic effort at goal that my granny could of got more power behind.

The encouraging thing for me about Nicky Maynard is that he is getting into the dangerous positions we have rarely seen our strikers in over the last couple of seasons.

I think there's still a bit of gelling to be done and we could take better advantage of his pace by playing more through balls and offside trap breaking passes but I believe this will happen over time and if he keeps getting into those positions the goals will come and do so with regularity.

As others have said it's very very early in the season and far too early in his City career to be concerned IMO.

According to my son's Match magazine Nicky Maynard is leading the way in the Championship this season in shots on target, with 9 in 4 games.

4 other players have 8.

Food for thought for his critics and a little more luck will see the goals come.

Nice input Spiderman very positive news.

Nicky Maynard gives us a much needed boost in the forward line.

He forces defences to mark him specially in view of the fact his shots on target ratio is so high which should enable us to score more regularly through other players.

At the end of the season its not the goals column for N Maynard we should be looking for its the Goals Column Bristol City that counts.

Welcome to the lunacy of OTIB. The only forum outside Austria/Germany where, for instance, you'll get criticism for supporting the methods of a leader (Joe Stalin) that helped defeat *unacceptable word* Germany. I can see that Nicky Maynard is a good footballer - and has the capability of being a great footballer - even if others can't.

Sorry Redders, you just invoke Godwin's Law and lost the debate :)

At the end of the season its not the goals column for N Maynard we should be looking for its the Goals Column Bristol City that counts.

Tosh. Nicky Maynard can't possibly lose using that sort of analysis.

If you want a player who can help the goals scored for the team column then surely Brooker or Trundle has a better chance of assisting on that front.

I would almost guarantee without looking that team goals scored per striker when compared to minutes on the pitch in our SIX competitive games will read Brooker, Adebola, Maynard, Trundle. Trundle won't be that far behind Maynard despite the low amount of minutes on the pitch.

Maynard was bought as a "Fox in the Box". He will be judged on goals. One every 6 games is nowhere near good enough to justify keeping Brooker out the side and possibly Trundle also.

The leagues top scorer has 3 league goals. Not horrendously worried yet. He "should" have scored that header against Blackpool and i don't think this thread would be here.

If we're not scoring and not creating and start sliding down the league sure lets change it up but Nicky's worth playing still IMO while he's getting in shooting positions. It's when/if that stops happening we can start worrying. A quick visit to any popular video site will show you the lad can finish..he just isn't at the minute.

But if he keeps it at 1 in 4 in the league that'd still be 11 goals which isn't horrendous by any means and would top last years efforts. The strikers are scoring and Nicky's still one of our best two.

I think 10+ is acceptable, 15+ is good and 20 insanely amazing. We do play negative football so won't be destroying teams and top scoring.

He`s only played 6 games for us, and it`s unfair to say he`s been a disappointment as some fans have said after that amount of games. Judge him at the end of the season, then we can say if he`s been a disappointment or not. The price tag added a huge amount of expectation on him.

Off topic (for a comparison)..

After a season with us, i think Trundle has been a disappointment IMO. For the 1mil fee, i expected a lot more goals from him certainly.

Maynard was much improved today. He hit the bar from 20 yards out of nothing, had a 1 on 1 saved and generally looked our biggest threat.

He also picked up the ball deep on a couple of occasions and was able to run at the defence, although the only downside was a poor shot with McIndoe well placed. He will learn though.

According to my son's Match magazine Nicky Maynard is leading the way in the Championship this season in shots on target, with 9 in 4 games.

4 other players have 8.

Food for thought for his critics and a little more luck will see the goals come.

I think Maynard will do very good for City. He is a typicall box player and will benefit once we get our passing game going.

He`s only played 6 games for us.

After a season with us, i think Trundle has been a disappointment IMO. For the 1mil fee, i expected a lot more goals from him certainly.

7 competitive games actually.

And you expect less from the 2.25M striker? That is the way he is heading.

Considering he has jsut arrived i don't think he has done to bad. In the 5 league games, he has had chances at Blackpool, Coventry and today where he was our main threat. Add that to the goal against Derby then i think people are being quick to criticise.

"Nicky Maynard showed a quality that we never had with his shot which hit the bar. Maynard may not have scored the goals yet, but he looked the livliest striker on the pitch to me". Quote from the Cardiff forum.

Considering he has jsut arrived i don't think he has done to bad. In the 5 league games, he has had chances at Blackpool, Coventry and today where he was our main threat. Add that to the goal against Derby then i think people are being quick to criticise.

"Nicky Maynard showed a quality that we never had with his shot which hit the bar. Maynard may not have scored the goals yet, but he looked the livliest striker on the pitch to me". Quote from the Cardiff forum.

I think he just needs a bit of luck to pop one away and he will be off. Hopefully tuesday will be his day. I think he is getting better with every match.

Maynard was much improved today. He hit the bar from 20 yards out of nothing, had a 1 on 1 saved and generally looked our biggest threat.

He also picked up the ball deep on a couple of occasions and was able to run at the defence, although the only downside was a poor shot with McIndoe well placed. He will learn though.

The guys on Radio Bristol were fuming about that. Said it showed very poor judgment.

I wonder if you know Robbie Keane is a proven Premier League goalscorer?

I know keane is a proven goalscorer ! my point is he hasnt scored for Liverpool yet, he,s at a new club as is Maynard, what i,m saying is that it takes time to settle at a new club for some players, its far to early to start doubting him

I know keane is a proven goalscorer ! my point is he hasnt scored for Liverpool yet, he,s at a new club as is Maynard, what i,m saying is that it takes time to settle at a new club for some players, its far to early to start doubting him

But the point is, they know Keane is capable at that level.

We've no idea with Nicky, so doubting is understandable.

Doubting isnt the same as criticism.

But the point is, they know Keane is capable at that level.

We've no idea with Nicky, so doubting is understandable.

Doubting isnt the same as criticism.

Sir alex ferguson had no idea if Ronaldo would cope in the premeirship and he did, ian wright was plucked out of known-league football, thierry henry was a flop at juve before he came to arsenal the list is endless.

All I'm saying is how can you question someone after a month and a bit, its madness!

7 competitive games actually.

And you expect less from the 2.25M striker? That is the way he is heading.

Anyone would think that Nicky Maynard is the first centre forward ever to suffer a poor run in front of goal. FAR BETTER players than him have endured FAR WORSE runs in front of goal. The lad, when we bought him, was NOT the finished article (I'm surprised people need to be told that) and is adjusting to life in the championship. As long as he is getting into scoring positions and looking a goal threat then I am sure GJ is not overly concerned.

Can't believe people are already getting on his back, i'm prepared to give him a lot longer than 7 matches. I was impressed with his overall performance yesterday, that shot on to the bar was brilliant and when put through on goal in the 2nd half his shot, from a tight angle, was heading straight in to the !ottom corner and only a great save from Heaton kept it out.

In the 1st half we kept launching it up to him and how can we expect him to win the ball against defenders like Purse?! 2nd half was much improved and were actually playing it in to his feet. I'm pretty sure most of his doubters would be praising him if he scores the winner on Tuesday!

I'm pretty sure most of his doubters would be praising him if he scores the winner on Tuesday!

That statement sums up this forum for me.

Do you think people doubting his abilities at this level want him to fail just to prove a point?

I would love him to score a hat-trick against Birmingham and then several more.

However, IMHO, whether we give him 7 games to settle in or 7 months, I have seen nothing that makes me think he will hit double figures this season.

And whilst it appears some are more than willing to accept that as Maynard has "potential", I would have preferred to have seen such a large sum invested in a player who has played at this level.

I don't hate Maynard or even dislike him, after all he plays for Bristol City FFS. But, the 5 times I have seen him have left me unimpressed in many departments and concerned we may suffer from lack of goals again this season, hence, I would prefer to see him on the bench and Brooker starting. Nothing wrong with that is there? I am allowed to prefer a different player?

That statement sums up this forum for me.

Do you think people doubting his abilities at this level want him to fail just to prove a point?

I would love him to score a hat-trick against Birmingham and then several more.

However, IMHO, whether we give him 7 games to settle in or 7 months, I have seen nothing that makes me think he will hit double figures this season.

And whilst it appears some are more than willing to accept that as Maynard has "potential", I would have preferred to have seen such a large sum invested in a player who has played at this level.

I don't hate Maynard or even dislike him, after all he plays for Bristol City FFS. But, the 5 times I have seen him have left me unimpressed in many departments and concerned we may suffer from lack of goals again this season, hence, I would prefer to see him on the bench and Brooker starting. Nothing wrong with that is there? I am allowed to prefer a different player?

I could agree with that if he wasn't creating chances but he has been. He's had the chaces, it's only a matter of time when his luck changes and they go in. I'm pretty confident he'll get in to double figures, and push on to the 15 goal mark.

Absolutely, he will learn. He also made a mistake, in my opinion, at Coventry where he robbed the keeper and found himself facing the wrong way. He managed to fashion a shot but the defender easily cleared off the line ... if he had just looked up when he got the ball we had two players screaming and ready to simply pass the ball home.

But in his defence, his interview at Cardiff told us why he shot, GJ has been telling them to get more shots away and he wanted to do just that. As we've said, experience will soon help him make the right decision in these situations.

Archived