IGNORED

Nicky Maynard A Disappointment Some Say ...

Spiderman

Maynard's been a bit like Theo Walcott this season in that he's young and proven at the level below, but is just falling short with the final product. They've both got plenty of time to find their feet though.

Ironically, they both have the price tag pressure on them.

According to my son's Match magazine Nicky Maynard is leading the way in the Championship this season in shots on target, with 9 in 4 games.

4 other players have 8.

Food for thought for his critics and a little more luck will see the goals come.

Interesting what people on here would call a good season for Maynard due to stepping up a league , age , new side , tighter defences etc..

For that money you got to be looking at 20 a season someone at work said to me . Mmm not so sure .

In an idea world that would be perfect my reply was but looking at last season and the trouble we had scoring enough goals and still getting to the play off finals got me thinking .

I think both Maynard and Dele chipping in with 12 - 15 each will be success if they can avoid injury .

What we need is the others to contribute a few each especially from midfield instead of continually relying on the front two which invites pressure .

Brad and Boom Boom will add a couple each and we should be well on our way to last years success .

At the same time its as important to keep that defence tight and a defensive 1-0 win will bring the 3 points as much as the offensive 3-0 wins , but at home we expect so much .

Happy with 2 wins and 2 draws so far even if breaking teams down at home and picking up the 1 point may deter us at the end .

Stats are stats.

I've watched him in 3 games and he's done very very little and has looked poor.

The is your opinion but how you can say he has ''looked poor'' is beyond me, what more do you want the lad to do, he works his socks off getting in positions and he has just been unlucky in scoring.

If youve ever played football you will appreticate the running he does, he will score goals no doubht about it you can tell by his off the ball movement he is a good striker.

I really don't know what people wanted from the lad 30 goals in his first 3 games probably wouldnt have been enough for some moaners :disapointed2se:

Atleast we didnt spend £20m on Robbie Keane :innocent06:

Its only a matter of time before Maynard (and Keane i sure) come good...Nicky has got in some very very good positions and has been unlucky not to add a few to his tally...IMO he'll reach 15 this season :fingerscrossed: .

looked promising so far, early days he's still adjusting to the team and step up in division, however playing alongside Dele he'll get all the help he needs and still believe he'll get at least 15 goals this season, we haven't bought him just for now, he's one for the future too.....he'll take time to come good, but I've no doubt he will.....

though no doubt the usual suspects will be hoping for him to be axed/sacked/loaned out etc.....

The is your opinion but how you can say he has ''looked poor'' is beyond me, what more do you want the lad to do, he works his socks off getting in positions and he has just been unlucky in scoring.

If youve ever played football you will appreticate the running he does, he will score goals no doubht about it you can tell by his off the ball movement he is a good striker.

I really don't know what people wanted from the lad 30 goals in his first 3 games probably wouldnt have been enough for some moaners :disapointed2se:

I'm not going to be biased and say he's shit hot just because he's a record signing. Before he arrived I was probably the most optimistic fan on 'ere.

What more do I want? Erm, perhaps he could make some runs, challenge for headers, sprint once in a while. Not seen much of either.

I haven't seen alot of off the ball movement to be honest, the home games in particular he has been very static, hence when the ball does arrive to him, the defender is a step ahead, intercepts and Nicky falls over.

Yes 30 goals in 3 games, how clever.

I was very relieved to see the positive positive nature of this post, having initially been worried by the title.

I can't believe the negativity of some of the other assessments of Nicky Maynard though. For goodness sake, he's only been here a few days and stepped up a league! Let him settle in and let GJ establish a game plan that plays to his strengths. If he hasn't delivered 15 or so by the end of the season, then let's have a more meaningful debate.

I can't believe the negativity of some of the other assessments of Nicky Maynard though.

Welcome to the lunacy of OTIB. The only forum outside Austria/Germany where, for instance, you'll get criticism for supporting the methods of a leader (Joe Stalin) that helped defeat *unacceptable word* Germany. I can see that Nicky Maynard is a good footballer - and has the capability of being a great footballer - even if others can't.

I was very relieved to see the positive positive nature of this post, having initially been worried by the title.

I can't believe the negativity of some of the other assessments of Nicky Maynard though. For goodness sake, he's only been here a few days and stepped up a league! Let him settle in and let GJ establish a game plan that plays to his strengths. If he hasn't delivered 15 or so by the end of the season, then let's have a more meaningful debate.

It really does boggle my mind people writing him off and saying he is a disappointment after 6 games. Mad.

Fernando Torres started lats season very similarly at Liverpool lot of shots on target but few goals, think he scored 1 in his first 5. Think he has been a bit unlucky tbh thought he was very unlucky at Coventry had two good efforts one brillantly saved the over headed off the line.

Hes creating chances for himself which is the most important thing once he gets suited to our style of play an the higher league think he will score quite a few! Id still back him to be top scorer at the end of the season the only thing id say he could improve on is his upper body strength.

I'm not going to be biased and say he's shit hot just because he's a record signing. Before he arrived I was probably the most optimistic fan on 'ere.

What more do I want? Erm, perhaps he could make some runs, challenge for headers, sprint once in a while. Not seen much of either.

I haven't seen alot of off the ball movement to be honest, the home games in particular he has been very static, hence when the ball does arrive to him, the defender is a step ahead, intercepts and Nicky falls over.

Yes 30 goals in 3 games, how clever.

I wasnt having a go I'm just frustrated that people want so much from him in so little time, he has played what 3 competitive games and has had lets be far a lot of chances on goal.

As for you saying ''i havnt seen a lot of off the ball movement'' seems a tad strange, if you focus on him in a game he makes a lot of intelligent runs and has just been unlucky to not get on the end of a good threw ball.

Lets judge after 10 or so games, what i have seen i admitt hasnt been mind blowing but he has shown promise and i still can see him getting at the very least 14 for us this season.

he'll come good but what he had at crewe was a midfield that knew what he was about and knew when he was going to make his runs so the ball was played to him where he wanted it, thus goals,, at the moment we have a midfield who like

playing backwards sideways in patient build up play so when he makes his runs expecting the ball behined the defender

he looks over his shoulder to see it's gone back to carey :closedeyes: now this is frustrating the 2 wingers who are playing very narrow at the moment to come and get the ball, the buck stops with creativity to which could be improved as we are a tad defensive in midfield like the days of burnell and doherty so the front 2 do suffer, get LJ spreading a few 30 yard passess ie: tinman style in to space for speedy players like sproule and mcindoe to chase and they will create openings for the front 2, our strikers including trundle do not go bad over night the service they need has.

he'll come good but what he had at crewe was a midfield that knew what he was about and knew when he was going to make his runs so the ball was played to him where he wanted it, thus goals,, at the moment we have a midfield who like

playing backwards sideways in patient build up play so when he makes his runs expecting the ball behined the defender

he looks over his shoulder to see it's gone back to carey :closedeyes: now this is frustrating the 2 wingers who are playing very narrow at the moment, the buck stops with creativity to which could be improved as we are a tad defensive

in midfield like the days of burnell and doherty so the front 2 do suffer, get LJ spreading a few 30 yard passess ie: tinman style in to space for speedy players like sproule and mcindoe to chase and they will create openings for the front 2, our strikers including trundle do not go bad over night the service they need has.

Excellent analysis Sir. Potentially, there's a lot of goals from all positions in our current City side once they gell. This will be an exciting season with us versus Birmingham next Tuesday giving an early indication of how well we'll do. Even this early on I reckon that if we can beat Birmingham we'll be easily good enough to go up automatically.

I wasnt having a go I'm just frustrated that people want so much from him in so little time, he has played what 3 competitive games and has had lets be far a lot of chances on goal.

As for you saying ''i havnt seen a lot of off the ball movement'' seems a tad strange, if you focus on him in a game he makes a lot of intelligent runs and has just been unlucky to not get on the end of a good threw ball.

Lets judge after 10 or so games, what i have seen i admitt hasnt been mind blowing but he has shown promise and i still can see him getting at the very least 14 for us this season.

Hopefully you're right. I don't expect the goals to come, I just expect decent all round play inbetween them. If you have that, you can confidently say ''Well the goals will soon follow''. That is what worries me.

As another poster said, I don't see any point in having a debate after the season's end. None at all.

Lets debate the pro's and con's on this forum, and keep any criticism on here and not in AG. Thats how I work.

Excellent analysis Sir. Potentially, there's a lot of goals from all positions in our current City side once they gell. This will be an exciting season with us versus Birmingham next Tuesday giving an early indication of how well we'll do. Even this early on I reckon that if we can beat Birmingham we'll be easily good enough to go up automatically.

Aye.. i'm not saying we are struggling and on our day we are a match for anyone, it's a little tweaking needed

to push a bit further, when you buy a striker you do it because you see his movement and goals you then forget

who and how the ball is played in, take the play maker away and the strikers suffers then it's ''oh he's crap''

''waste of money'' no what you need is to remember why you bought this player and play to their strengths

as murray has not been the same since tinnion stopped playing has he was a major sourse in his goals ie:

the service, great strikers and great midfield service go hand in hand.

he looks over his shoulder to see it's gone back to carey :closedeyes: now this is frustrating the 2 wingers who are playing very narrow at the moment to come and get the ball, the buck stops with creativity to which could be improved as we are a tad defensive in midfield like the days of burnell and doherty so the front 2 do suffer, get LJ spreading a few 30 yard passess ie: tinman style in to space for speedy players like sproule and mcindoe to chase and they will create openings for the front 2, our strikers including trundle do not go bad over night the service they need has.

I agree with a lot of this post. Others have said it will take time for NM to adjust to playing our way ..... well, I think it's been difficult for Nicky as we don't play HIS way.

The mentioning of the midfield is very relevant too, I feel, as neither Johnson nor Skuse worry defenders. I suggest that when we get Marvin back scaring the life out of defences Nicky will see more space come his way, get to feed on more scraps and ultimately get more goals.

What nobody has mentioned so far is the work rate he puts in closing defenders down and chasing the ball when the opposition are in possession.

Does he need to do this, is he wasting energy?

I think this is a great feature of his game. the more pressure you can put on the opposition the better, especially as high up the field as possible.

My only worry is that this will get him injured as he's not frightened to stick a foot in or tackle for a 50/50.

According to my son's Match magazine Nicky Maynard is leading the way in the Championship this season in shots on target, with 9 in 4 games.

4 other players have 8.

Food for thought for his critics and a little more luck will see the goals come.

He just needs that confidence boost and the service to score the goals, without either, he won't get into double figures. If he gets both, those shots on target will be turning into goals.

What nobody has mentioned so far is the work rate he puts in closing defenders down and chasing the ball when the opposition are in possession.

Does he need to do this, is he wasting energy?

You know what, this is the one area where I'm not sure Gary Johnson excels.

He obviously believes in defending from the front and strikers that have had previously great records elsewhere have come here and done well for the team but not done brilliantly regarding an individual goal tally. I think the workrate GJ expects of them benefits the team but quite probably it also detracts from their sharpness (physically and mentally) when it comes to that vital split second in the box. I first thought this with Jevons and haven't been at all convinced otherwise since then.

Archived