IGNORED

The Bountyhunter

SecretSam

There was a run of fanzines at one time and if the dusty old attic on top of my shoulders serves me well amongst them were:

Ultra

The Bountyhunter

One Team In Bristol

Over The Gate

Come in Number Nine Your Time Is Up

Anyone remember any more?

We Scandinavians had The Ashton Gate Observer for about ten seasons

Great thread got my memory jogging:

I was bought a subscription of ULTRA as a present, loved it, the quality was superb and the features were great.

Still pick up a copy of otib as my half time read on matchdays, can't beat the bountyhunter for hilarity though.

Ultra was well produced but some of the articles could have been written by les kew. can rememebr them praising the signing of dave thompson. ultra it was not.

The Bountyhunter was written by Nick and Tim Herniman from Posset, and mate Dave also their younger bro Anthohny ? be jiggered if I can remember now, and Gus the extremist of course, the angry young man !

Was a good laugh back then,we used to live and breathe City , and follow them all over country, then everyone grew up, or should I say got older.

Bounty Hunter by far the best; great memories of heading down to Revolver Records on my school lunch break to pick it up in the 89/90 promotion season. If only I'd bought issue 7,can't find it ANYWHERE.

There was no issue 7, Reg. The reason the next one was numbered no.8 was an in joke over the time between 6 and the next one, which from memory was about a season and a half?

Loads and loads of stuff got written for it (not only by me) but the legendary organisational abilities of a certain Herniman brother meant that it never actually got produced.....

Bounty Hunter by far the best; great memories of heading down to Revolver Records on my school lunch break to pick it up in the 89/90 promotion season. If only I'd bought issue 7,can't find it ANYWHERE.

A fondly remembered part of my youth Christ knows how much I squandered in there over the years. I still feel bad about exchanging a copy of The Queen Is Dead, complaining it was badly warped, after having left it on the back seat of a car for a day. The guy behind the counter knew. I knew he knew. He knew I knew he knew.

From the late 70s through to the mid 90s you could tell who supported City or the sags by their taste in music and the clothes they wore.We were much cooler than them,cooler music,cooler clothes.The sags by and large were tramps and wouldn't of known cool if it kicked them in the nuts,still wearing short jeans and docs,listening to OI! bands.

I loved the bountyhunter - the excellent humour, great cartoons and silly things like the clippings of newspaper articles with an ant-gas slant - all with an authentic city voice. It would stick out like a sore thumb in today's corporate loving football world - even our own fans seem different these days.

From the late 70s through to the mid 90s you could tell who supported City or the sags by their taste in music and the clothes they wore.We were much cooler than them,cooler music,cooler clothes.The sags by and large were tramps and wouldn't of known cool if it kicked them in the nuts,still wearing short jeans and docs,listening to OI! bands.

This!

They always have been a scruffy mob.

Links with NF back in the day didnt help them style wise.

The Bountyhunter was a different class and Over the Gate was good (at the start) but a flimsy read. Ultra had a great, pro layout that was something else at the time, but the content was too sterile and too esoteric. OTIB - total shite, with no offence meant to anyone on here who scribbles for them. It's genuinely clumsy and painful when compared to the BH. Whoever used to carry the pen(s) for that, my god, was a total genius; a real trailblazing fanzine full of what football was all about - their descriptions of some of the old away days - wow, you can almost smell the cider. a top read and whose copies I treasure to this day. In comparison, I wouldn't wipe my trousers with OTIB. :disapointed2se:

In my youth, one of my greatest moments was getting an article published in the Bounty Hunter. I took great pride in carrying that addition with me everywhere and showing anyone who would listen.

The Bounty Hunter was so good at taking this piss out of the sags, the move to Mansfield, the addition dedicated to Robbie Earle and there was one front cover about Francis and one of the players getting married if i remember rightly??

The Bountyhunter was a different class and Over the Gate was good (at the start) but a flimsy read. Ultra had a great, pro layout that was something else at the time, but the content was too sterile and too esoteric. OTIB - total shite, with no offence meant to anyone on here who scribbles for them. It's genuinely clumsy and painful when compared to the BH. Whoever used to carry the pen(s) for that, my god, was a total genius; a real trailblazing fanzine full of what football was all about - their descriptions of some of the old away days - wow, you can almost smell the cider. a top read and whose copies I treasure to this day. In comparison, I wouldn't wipe my trousers with OTIB. :disapointed2se:

Wasn't there a T shirt as well, with a pic of Bob Taylor and our Chairman at the time - Des Williams. Over the pic of Taylor was the word HOPE and over Williams the word HOPELESS

It's hard to compare OTIB to BH - back then there was no internet - nowadays if you want to know X or have an opinion about Y - then you can bash away for five minutes on your keyboard and hey presto. Back then we had the evening post, the matchday programme and er...

Keep going OTIB - they always ask for contributions on here and, I imagine, they are all volunteers. I will write something soon, although the last time I did write - I didn't get an email informing me if it was accepted or not for publication.

:clapping::thumbsup:

Archived