IGNORED

The Reserves - Getting Silly?

mozo

I must confess, I don't know much about the reserves, but am I right in thinking that they have now scored 14 goals in three games?

And didn't they trounce the reserve league last season?

I really wonder if our players will benefit against teams like Forest Green and Bournemouth when we could be travelling down to London or up to the midlands to take on the big boys. I think Reading are the biggest club our reserves get to face.

I'm sure I'm flogging a dead horse here, but feel free to shoot me down.

I think everyone knows the reserve situation is far from ideal, playing Bournemouth, Swindle, fgr etc

But we've got to get games for fringe players and ideally the return of the rezzie combination league would be great but It's the best we've got at moment. :dunno:

I must confess, I don't know much about the reserves, but am I right in thinking that they have now scored 14 goals in three games?

I really wonder if our players will benefit against teams like Forest Green and Bournemouth when we could be travelling down to London or up to the midlands to take on the big boys. I think Reading are the biggest club our reserves get to face.

Not sure about the 14 goals but we did lose last week!

I think we had a very strong team out tonight because of the international break...just keeping players ticking over.

Anyone know how Marv got on?!

Didn't we lose to Forest Green?

I went tonight and although we weren't up against much, I think it was worth the run out. Akinde looks a shrewd signing on the basis of tonight too.

I just got back from the game and although its true that Bournmouth looked quite a young side, city played some very good football.

Marv played for 75 mins and looked ok although he was getting knackered by the end.

Thought Akinde played quite well. Could have done more in front of goal, but set one up, looked lively and strong as well as quick. Seems to have a great awareness of whats going on around him.

don't want to jump the gun, but we could be onto a winner here (mid to long term replacement for Adebola perhaps ?)

Jordan Walker had a cracking game as well, looked very acomplished

Murrays second goal was class....Scored from his own half with a peach of a lob. If one of the "big stars" had done it it would be all over the telly by now

ended 6 - 0, and in truth maybe would have been more apart from their goalie who made some very good saves.

you can only beat whats put in front of you at the end of the day

:devil::devil::devil:

I just got back from the game and although its true that Bournmouth looked quite a young side, city played some very good football.

Marv played for 75 mins and looked ok although he was getting knackered by the end.

Thought Akinde played quite well. Could have done more in front of goal, but set one up, looked lively and strong as well as quick. Seems to have a great awareness of whats going on around him.

don't want to jump the gun, but we could be onto a winner here (mid to long term replacement for Adebola perhaps ?)

Murrays second goal was class....Scored from his own half with a peach of a lob. If one of the "big stars" had done it it would be all over the telly by now

ended 6 - 0, and in truth maybe would have been more apart from their goalie who made some very good saves.

Cheers! Glad to hear Marv's got 75 under his belt :winner_third_h4h:

Hi Mate

What was the line up, who came off, who came on.........

just to add to the report that Ashley Kington was very impressive when he came on, Williams took a more defensive role in the midfiield and Kington created 2 goals for Marlon Jackson in the last 10 minutes as well as running the midfield.

Murray and Williams ran things for most of the game Scotty looked really good on the left but even better when he came inside and acted as an extra midfield player. Some of williams passing was sublime. Ivan was as frustrating as ever, some good runs, some good efforts, but some poor stuff as well.

All the kids showed something worth watching.

The only player of note on the Bournemouth side was their Marvin lookalike, Bartley, who had a pretty good game in a very poor side.

just to add to the report that Ashley Kington was very impressive when he came on, Williams took a more defensive role in the midfiield and Kington created 2 goals for Marlon Jackson in the last 10 minutes as well as running the midfield.

Murray and Williams ran things for most of the game Scotty looked really good on the left but even better when he came inside and acted as an extra midfield player. Some of williams passing was sublime. Ivan was as frustrating as ever, some good runs, some good efforts, but some poor stuff as well.

All the kids showed something worth watching.

The only player of note on the Bournemouth side was their Marvin lookalike, Bartley, who had a pretty good game in a very poor side.

Spot on assesment of the game.

Kington was really good when he came on- never seen him before. Promising.

don't underestimate how good Marvin Elliott is..... Bournemouth's first team would struggle against any side with him in it - let alone the reserves!!

40 years ago the Football Combination had two divisions for all League Clubs in the Southern half of Britain. Those clubs in the Midlands and North played in the Central League. City were the last club to win the Combination Div 2 trophy (so that should still be in the board room. Why don't they put that in the annual team photo?). Some clubs had withdrawn their reserves though so the Combination reduced to a single division (1965?). The big teams were still in it though and early 70s you would still get upto 2,000 at AG when the reserves were playing Arsenal or Spurs as they always had big names in their 2nd 11.

Then came the Premier League with their own reserve league followed a few years later (1994?) by other clubs in the South East deciding they didn't want to go all the way to the West Country for a reserve game. City, Rovers, Cardiff and Bournemouth etc were out in the cold, so formed their own competition and had the likes of Yeovil, Cheltenahm, FGR and Torquay etc join to make a full fixture list.

reintroduction of the Football Combination would be beneficial, but too many other clubs don't want to play us. :disapointed2se:

The club were trying to get a mini league together with midlands clubs the last I heard. As yet nothing has happened. Shame because it would be better to play teams of the same standards as us, however there is a need for players to play competitive matches whoever it may be against. At least it helps keeps fitness levels up especially for players coming back from injury like Elliott.

Nobles on holiday.. with someones sister who brother also plays for the club.. :innocent06:

Trick question, it's David Noble's sister and it's no doubt a wholesome family holiday where the Nobes's's go camping.

N..O..B..L..E and Noble was his name-o etc...

Right?

Trick question, it's David Noble's sister and it's no doubt a wholesome family holiday where the Nobes's's go camping.

N..O..B..L..E and Noble was his name-o etc...

Right?

:laugh:.. I got it wrong they went during the international break

Archived