IGNORED

The Reserves - Getting Silly?

mozo

40 years ago the Football Combination had two divisions for all League Clubs in the Southern half of Britain. Those clubs in the Midlands and North played in the Central League. City were the last club to win the Combination Div 2 trophy (so that should still be in the board room. Why don't they put that in the annual team photo?). Some clubs had withdrawn their reserves though so the Combination reduced to a single division (1965?). The big teams were still in it though and early 70s you would still get upto 2,000 at AG when the reserves were playing Arsenal or Spurs as they always had big names in their 2nd 11.

Then came the Premier League with their own reserve league followed a few years later (1994?) by other clubs in the South East deciding they didn't want to go all the way to the West Country for a reserve game. City, Rovers, Cardiff and Bournemouth etc were out in the cold, so formed their own competition and had the likes of Yeovil, Cheltenahm, FGR and Torquay etc join to make a full fixture list.

reintroduction of the Football Combination would be beneficial, but too many other clubs don't want to play us. :disapointed2se:

The club were trying to get a mini league together with midlands clubs the last I heard. As yet nothing has happened. Shame because it would be better to play teams of the same standards as us, however there is a need for players to play competitive matches whoever it may be against. At least it helps keeps fitness levels up especially for players coming back from injury like Elliott.

Cheers you two. I just think the jump from Reserves to Championship might prove impossible for youngsters if they don't play the reserves of Championship/Prem clubs.

How come the kids played Arsenal? Surely it doesn't add up if our academy is good enough but not ressies??

10 years is a long time. I think Gary Johnson and Steve Lansdown should throw their weight around. The importance is a no-brainer - massive.

Akinde, Kington and Jackson played against nobodies, when they could have been getting worthwhile experience against known players.

I agree that our reserves should get more demanding fixtures, particularly those who are genuinely fringe first teamers.

For the likes of Ashley Kington, Marlon Jackson, Luke Wilkinson and a few others, should they gain contracts then presumably they will be put on loan to get league experience.

hope they persevere with jackson. looked good and pacy, good vision and spacial awareness and a good touch. good finishing too and how that would go down well. personally thoght sproule had a good time out there. quick as ever trying to get on the end of his own passes few saves forced and a couple of strays though and a goal. think too many have developed a frowning view of the lad and will criticise before he gets the ball.

Archived