IGNORED

Brooker

Jesus

I thought Brooker looked fresh as a daisy on Saturday, always looked dangerous, held the ball up well, and dare I say he even looked quick.

With the looking a bit tired IMO, I think its time to give Brooker a well deserved start.

Thoughts?

I think that any changes made will not be up front.... I think that Johnson will go with Maynard and Adebola again.

The most likely change will be possibly Sproule for Wilson if he hasnt quite recovered from his knock on Saturday (with Murray taking Sproules place on the bench).

The only other potential change could be Marvin Elliot coming in for Skuse, but I don't think he is quite up to full fitness yet - so maybe expect to see Elliot on the bench. Plus I don't think Skuse has done too much wrong to deserve being dropped.

I agree that Brooker should probably be starting too but I don't see who we can drop. Maynard's looking dangerous in every game and I think it's just a matter of time before he starts banging the goals in. Adebola's looking pretty mean as well and has probably been our best forward so far this season so I can't see where Brooks comes in. Another place on the bench I'm afraid unless there are other big changes to the team which I don't see why there would be.

I don't think Skuse has done much wrong either but I do feel that Elliott could come in to strengthen the midfield a bit and give us something extra going forward but that's about it. Keep the faith guys we're still unbeaten 5 games in and we'll sort Birmingham out tomorrow as well!

Yes Scottie on the bench comes on the last five minutes and scores to make it 4-1 to the City great

Hopefully he will be scoring against the Sags instead - gone on loan to Cheltenham for month.

Agree Brooker looked sharp on Sat - physical and surprisingly quick. Difficulty over who to drop however - keep him as super sub instead

Adebola will start alonside Maynard. No doubt that Johnson will bring Brooker on with about 20 mins to go - depending on the state of the game.

I'm not convinced that Brooker is 100% fit yet. It might be a while before we see him start ahead of Adebola.

Its not often I disagree with you Robbored, but I think Brooker looks fitter than he's ever been.

Its not often I disagree with you Robbored, but I think Brooker looks fitter than he's ever been.

The reason I say that is that Brooker went of at h-t in the reserves last Tuesday with a tight achillies, I think. He still seems to pick up minor knocks that keep him out longer than usual. When Brooker was fully fit he used to shake off little niggles and knocks far more quickly than in recent times.

Resilience and recovery from injuries comes with fitness most of the time.

Agree but it isn't going to happen.

Maynard won't be rested he cost to much money and dropping him is Tantemount to admitting he's not good enough.

I cant say i agree with you here. Maynard will be dropped or rested at some point.

A.) To give the lad a break

B.) Give him a reminder that he is not untouchable.

C.) Ease some pressure form his shoulders as he is still young.

I personally didnt expect him to settle in this league until about the tenth game and indications are that others who have seen him play at the weekend seem to think he is showing signs of getting to grips with this league.

Although Maynard has some pressure on him for me his price tag has more to do with his age and potential. He has got plenty of years ahead of him so IMO he doesnt have to justify his fee neither do the management.

Maynard won't be rested he cost to much money and dropping him is Tantemount to admitting he's not good enough.

Johnson didn't wait too long to drop Trundle last season.

If Maynard is playing crap then he will get dropped. But he is getting in all the right positions and goals will come in the very near future.

No way would I start Brooks tomorrow night.

Brooker looks fresh when coming on against a defence battered by Adebola. I admit he does look very good and livens up our attack in the later stages of games, but it doesn't work at the moment with him starting the game as we saw against Peterborough. Besides, Adebola has been our best player so shouldn't be dropped. The Adebola-->Brooker combo is working well.

I thought Brooker looked fresh as a daisy on Saturday, always looked dangerous, held the ball up well, and dare I say he even looked quick.

With the looking a bit tired IMO, I think its time to give Brooker a well deserved start.

Thoughts?

Brooker did look decent when he came on but Maynard was very bright and Adebola looked good again so i can't see him starting.

(ps i was stood right behind you :laugh: )

It's a tough call - I admit I havn't seen the last few games (Cardiff, coventry) but if Brooker is playing well then why not give him a chance? Trundle was dropped and still remains on the bench so it's possible that Maynard will fall even if it is disapointing for us, him and Gary.

I'm still anticipating the most skillfull partnership in the championship - Trundle and Maynard but I know it wont happen.

Personally I'd like to see a lively performance with all of the team putting their ar**s on the line and grabbing us the 3 points.

In all honesty I think a Brooker/Maynard partnership is a more adventurous and progressive way for us.

I think as a team we seem to play 80% to Adebolas strengths (directly at head height and above) when he is on the pitch, and just 20% to Maynards when they are paired. When Brooker comes on it can be argued that Dele has taken the fight out of the defence and makes it easier for Brooker to get balls into feet and Maynard in behind against a tired defence. We are certainly more thoughtful in our play without Adebola, but would naturally need to be as none of our other forwards (with the POSSIBLE exception of Akinde) can win 1st ball against centre halves like Dele.

The only way to see is to play with Maynard and Brooker from the start and that was tried without success against Peterborough. But it was the first time they paired up so prehaps they need game time together and this is what GJ is doing in the last 20 mins of games. (Short term solution = Adebola V's Long term plan = Brooker).

GJ is also a great believer in the 'If it aint broke, don't fix it' train of thought and seeing we are unbeaten so far his decision to play Adebola can not really be questioned.

I do feel each and every one of our 'Clubs in the bag' will be used as and when required this year. It will all depend on the way GJ decides to approach each and every game (and yes that includes Trundle).

I have read posts that give the impression we are a weaker squad this year after the 'Aussie' left, but I happen to think we have made some huge strides where depth is concerned due to the coming of age of the younger and previously more inexperienced members of the squad such as Skuse, Riberio (unlucky timing, think he would have figured this year) and Wilson. All 3 of which were nowhere near fully capable or prepared for the CCC last year but definately are this season. Add to that the exprience gained with the phenominal year the more senior players had last year (Basso, Orr, Carey, Elliott, LJ), we have every chance of acheiving what we all want.

As said before, if it ain`t broke don`t fix it. Brooker will get his chance, there can be no doubt about it, i just don`t think it will be tomorrow night.

Elliot`s probably not fit enough to start just yet but in his case, once ready has to be a starter in place of Skuse. I know Cole has done well so far but he`s not Elliot and while some may feel it would be harsh for him to lose his place without doing anything wrong the team is much stronger with Marvin, IMO.

Fontaine had to step aside last season when McCombe recovered, which i felt was harsh and with hindsight i think we looked more solid with the Carey/Fontaine partnership. Fontaine has the place again now and i hope Gary gives him chance to keep it once McCombe recovers. Nothing against Jamie but i think Fontaine has developed into a better defender and certainly looks more confident in that position. Jamie may well get more goals but thats not what he`s in the team for.

Can`t wait for tomorrow seeing as i`m going to miss saturday through work.

PDG

Archived