IGNORED

A Game Of Two Halves (merged)

Robbored

Thats the last two games at AG that City have come out in the second half a different side.

Today despite lots of effort the creativity that City have lacked wasn't there in the first half. Sproule could have done better when through but it was Weale that kept City level with a point blank save. Fontaine also got in a last ditch tackle to keep the score level. Most people were moaning at half time.

Then almost right away City get a penalty which McIndoe scored and then with their tails up City upped thier game and looked really good. The second goal for Maynard was very well taken and then Sproule tucked in the third. Fair play to Donny they didn't fold and pulled one back after some weak City defending but McIndoes second goal sealed a deserved 3 points.

Why can't City seem to put together a good 90 mins? :dunno:

First half wasn't promising

They looked more like the side who had been 90 minutes away from the prem then we did !

Sproule had a few good chances but couldn't find the net but made promising runs

Second half was a real joy to watch

Good penalty from Macca

Sproule did better then what i think most people expected and grabbed himself a goal, even though it was more difficult then the two chances he fluffed in the first half.

Very pleased for Maynard, quality finish opened up his body well and beautifully guided it into the top corner

Macca's second goal nearly identicle to the one against Coventry

Wolves, without the suspended Iwelumo (who grabbed a hat trick today), next week

Big big test for us

Just hope we can get there and show what we're made of

Wouldn't mind Liam grabbing a goal either :innocent06:

Onwards and Upwards,

Pete

said the same thing, playing 90mins or even 60mins of football seems impossible for City.

same problem as last season, that said our good 45mins of football more often than not win us games.

if only we could start as well as we finish and we would be SERIOUS contenders for Automatic Promotion.

First half wasn't promising

They looked more like the side who had been 90 minutes away from the prem then we did !

Sproule had a few good chances but couldn't find the net but made promising runs

Second half was a real joy to watch

Good penalty from Macca

Sproule did better then what i think most people expected and grabbed himself a goal, even though it was more difficult then the two chances he fluffed in the first half.

Very pleased for Maynard, quality finish opened up his body well and beautifully guided it into the top corner

Macca's second goal nearly identicle to the one against Coventry

Wolves, without the suspended Iwelumo (who grabbed a hat trick today), next week

Big big test for us

Just hope we can get there and show what we're made of

Wouldn't mind Liam grabbing a goal either :innocent06:

Onwards and Upwards,

Pete

agree with you city look gd side 2day, big, big test against wolves though should be going to that :englandsmile4wf:

Didnt think it was much different in the 2nd half. It could have been 3-0 at HT.

Just think Doncaster gave up. And they were pretty shite. Pretty passing but no threat whatsoever, never worried when they went forward.

They had a lot more threat than Derby, and better disciplined than the Rse. They will survive this season. I didn't think they gave up all game.

Didnt think it was much different in the 2nd half. It could have been 3-0 at HT.

Just think Doncaster gave up. And they were pretty shite. Pretty passing but no threat whatsoever, never worried when they went forward.

Sadly a comment that could be used against us far too often, hopefully todays result will be a big confidence boost. Massive game up next. COYR.

PDG

Anyone else noticed that we often play far better in the second half?

I remember the same situation when dennis smith was manager.

It's a great quality that a manager can see what needs to change for the better but I can't figure out why we can't hit the first half with the same outlook as the second.

If we could start as we finish we would demolish a lot of teams.

Anyone else noticed that we often play far better in the second half?

I remember the same situation when dennis smith was manager.

It's a great quality that a manager can see what needs to change for the better but I can't figure out why we can't hit the first half with the same outlook as the second.

If we could start as we finish we would demolish a lot of teams.

God knowns what Gary put's in their half time tea, a lot of games were like this last season 1st or 2nd half :winner_third_h4h:

Today was the best example that you could possibly have of what is missing from our side and what is causing us to play so narrow.

This season, especially, we have seen LJ and CS play in the centre and neither of these players break forward enough. Both sit, generally inside our own half winning tackles in CS's case or knocking long balls forward in LJ's case. The best comparison for either is at Liverpool, with Mascherano for CS and Alonso for LJ. They both do a good job, but without the influence of a Gerrard getting forward and creating the drive, we are nothing. Our equivalent, ME, was on the bench and in the second half we saw the turn around.

Both CS and LJ do a good; apart from the odd back heel in his own penalty area (LJ), neither makes a huge amount of mistakes. The problem is neither is terrible inspiring. They do a nice quiet job.

The problem we have is that with a goal poacher in NM and a target man in the, we have no link from the midfield to the strikers. This leaves a huge gap between them! What happens then is that MM and IS, or whoever else is playing on the right, get drawn infield to pick up the scraps from the's knock-downs and we're then left with no width.

The second half showed perfectly that playing a midfielder who makes runs into that gap between midfield and attack means we link up much better and it drives us forward. Both of MM and IS's goals from open play were scored from out wide, not through the middle.

We do have other centre midfielders (Williams, Noble, Wilson) who can all play in the centre and all like to break through into the opporsition penalty area. We don't just have to settle with two 'holding' midefiers, such as LJ and CS.

I also have to mention that CS played well when he went to right-back; another example of his attitude and competence and the fact he rarely makes mistakes. I think, long-term, this could be his position and as BO hasn't played brilliantly so far his season (especially today!), he might find it hard to get back in the side.....

Thats the last two games at AG that City have come out in the second half a different side.

Today despite lots of effort the creativity that City have lacked wasn't there in the first half. Sproule could have done better when through but it was Weale that kept City level with a point blank save. Fontaine also got in a last ditch tackle to keep the score level. Most people were moaning at half time.

Then almost right away City get a penalty which McIndoe scored and then with their tails up City upped thier game and looked really good. The second goal for Maynard was very well taken and then Sproule tucked in the third. Fair play to Donny they didn't fold and pulled one back after some weak City defending but McIndoes second goal sealed a deserved 3 points.

It's not the first time we've come out completely changed in the second half. (Although today, I think, was mainly about Marvin.

But it is worrying that we only seem to respond once GJ has given them a good b*ll*cking...

Maybe he could do that before the start of the first half - a pre-emptive telling off, if you like. Perhaps that would get them going...?!?

To put this in a military context, Joe Stalin's Red Army came out for the second half of WWII a different side and won the war. There was no need for Gary Johnson to drop a hand grenade or issue a Stalin 'no retreat order' at half time he just needed to release Marvellous Marvin to annihilate Doncaster in the second half. Bristol's Red Army - Keep the Red Flag flying high !!!!!! :dancing6:

In the first half Johnson played Adebola up by himself and had Maynard sitting off deep, so deep he was almost in midfield! when we did get some good ball in the final third Maynard was normally no where to be seen because if his deep starting position. I found this strange and quite frankly didn't get it!

In the 2nd Half Maynard played much further forward on the defenders shoulder and Dele drop a little deeper. Thus his starting position was much better meaning he could get on the end of things. Surely this is the only way to play Maynard?

It's not the first time we've come out completely changed in the second half. (Although today, I think, was mainly about Marvin.

But it is worrying that we only seem to respond once GJ has given them a good b*ll*cking...

Maybe he could do that before the start of the first half - a pre-emptive telling off, if you like. Perhaps that would get them going...?!?

I think I remeber GJ saying last season when we playing so well on a good run, that GJ finds it hard to have a go at them before a game when we are playing so well. I know we lost to brum hwoever we had a lot of postives from the second half though...

Archived