IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Perhaps Why He's Selected.

And Its Smith

At the moment I think we're trying (but not succeeding) to be a bit of everything.

I agree that with 2 out & out wingers you need security in the middle. We try & get round that by tucking the wide men in & encouraging the full backs forward. The problem is this often means Orr is the player delivering the cross & his distribution is to be polite, variable.

One area I think we could improve is "tactical" team selections - I know GJ likes continuity but I think theres an argument for a different formation, away against a top side, to at home versus, say Norwich. You can't just be gung ho, but on Sat we are facing a team who are below us in the league & not in good form. The onus should be on us to attack them from the start & get them on the back foot. Clearly on Tuedsay away at Charlton we may need a much different mind set.

Agreed, it's just that I think 4-4-2 is not the only way of being an attacking side. With Johnson, Elliott and Nobke in the side Noble can be allowed freedom to use his attacking talent. We know that Trundle can be accommodated as well and he is extremely good at pulling wide or deep and delivering good service. On what I've seen so far this season Brian Wilson deserves a crack at right back.

As to tactical flexibilty I agree again but this is England and even successive England teams have found it impossible to handle anything a bit subtle!

Perhaps you could offer your stance on the issue?

I thought I had made my view clear in my post - though of course you are entitled to your opinion on the issue but given you admit the stats support LJ to be a decent midfielder, the stats and GJ's experience and confirmed knowledge of the game and decision to regularly pick LJ lead me to the conclusion that he is worthy of his place. Your assertion that he is average-poor carries a little less weight.

I would quite happily have Noble in the side on the right as per the last few games of last year alongside Elliot and LJ but think GJ does not feel his fitness is up to a central midfiled role alongside Marvin with two wingers. LJ contributes a lot more.

So, using your logic, nobody on this forum should offer any kind of opinion on a player whatsoever, either good or bad, because we are not football managers or respected throughout the football world. I always thought that one of the best things about going to football was offering your opinion on what you have seen. But perhaps we should all tow some communist style party line and not hold our own opinion?

Nope - opinions are fine I was simply questioning the value of the opinion, especially given the way in which statistics were dismissed as statistics but the opinion was somehow more valuable.

if you had a view on anything, apart from constantly dismissing the views of others on here then perhaps you posting would be worth a valid reply.

I thought my view has been pretty clear in a number of posts, perhaps you have missed it - let me be crystal clear - LJ is an important part of what has been a very successful side. GJ has taken us from League One misery to contenders for the Premier League and I think deserves a little better than to be second guessed by a vocal minority over the selection of LJ. Trust that clarifies for you what's your view??

LJ is an important part of what has been a very successful side.

Correct and as a result covered over the cracks that have been uncovered at Championship level. We've carried the lad for long enough time to give the midfield some much needed support and strengthening.

GJ has taken us from League One misery to contenders for the Premier League and I think deserves a little better than to be second guessed by a vocal minority over the selection of LJ. Trust that clarifies for you what's your view??

I don't understand your point.

So Johnson got us promoted over 2 years ago and as a result we can't question or discuss tactics or team selections on the forum? Nuts!

So Johnson got us promoted over 2 years ago and as a result we can't question or discuss tactics or team selections on the forum? Nuts!

Of course you can, but forgive me if I give more credence to the opinion of a man who has achieved a great deal in football as opposed to someone who, well, hasn't.

Of course you can, but forgive me if I give more credence to the opinion of a man who has achieved a great deal in football as opposed to someone who, well, hasn't.

I don't remember claiming that I knew more than Johnson and naturally Johnson would run circles around all of us on here regarding managing a professional football team. Probably some thing to do with the fact thats he doing it as a profession and we're not! With your attitude the Mods may as well just close the forum down.

Well done for stating the bleeding obvious.

perhaps if you don't like the views of FANS on a FANS forum, because you feel the manager is 100% right in everything that he doesnt you should be posting on here? otherwise you will find yourself disagreeing with a large amount of postings.

because you feel the manager is 100% right in everything that he doesnt you should be posting on here?

Where did I say that? And anyway, what's wrong with posting on here if I do agree 100% with the manager? Is this a forum for people who disagree only?

perhaps if you don't like the views of FANS on a FANS forum, because you feel the manager is 100% right in everything that he doesnt you should be posting on here? otherwise you will find yourself disagreeing with a large amount of postings.

if you had a view on anything, apart from constantly dismissing the views of others on here then perhaps you posting would be worth a valid reply.

think you answered your own post even before you knew it............still waiting for your opinion by the way.

I thought I had made my view clear in my post - though of course you are entitled to your opinion on the issue but given you admit the stats support LJ to be a decent midfielder, the stats and GJ's experience and confirmed knowledge of the game and decision to regularly pick LJ lead me to the conclusion that he is worthy of his place. Your assertion that he is average-poor carries a little less weight.

I would quite happily have Noble in the side on the right as per the last few games of last year alongside Elliot and LJ but think GJ does not feel his fitness is up to a central midfiled role alongside Marvin with two wingers. LJ contributes a lot more.

The stats back him up, and as I said can be manipulatd to prove anything. On that subject, when I looked at assists and goals/games ratios for all creative CM's last year in our League, he was somewhere in the middle and bottom respectively.

So how much weight does that carry with you?

I'm suprised those above mentioned factors lead you to your conclusions, most people come to theirs all by themsevles ie. watching the games and generating an opinion.

The stats back him up, and as I said can be manipulatd to prove anything. On that subject, when I looked at assists and goals/games ratios for all creative CM's last year in our League, he was somewhere in the middle and bottom respectively.

So how much weight does that carry with you?

I'm suprised those above mentioned factors lead you to your conclusions, most people come to theirs all by themsevles ie. watching the games and generating an opinion.

So, is that all CM's or only creative CM's? How do you define someone as being a creative CM as opposed to a bog standard CM? Who makes the decision who to include or exclude? Just curious.

Surely people come to conclusions based on all the available information - including their own observations but not excluding data from other sources (remembering to qualify that data depending on it's source, perceived reliability and possibe bias)?

living 7,000 miles away makes that difficult - the games I have seen support the conclusion though

Archived