IGNORED

Maynard Booking

silverfox

how do you win a 50/50 tackle.... thats right you keep your feet together and plant them. its kiddy football lesson 1 :laugh:

this was a textbook challenege maynard IMO as the key fact was he didnt jump into it. If the ref reckoned he did then i spose he should have sent him off?!

well done to maynard who showed a bit of bite when he came on today. I think hes realised that while the goals may not be flowing immediately, chasing down and getting stuck in will certainly buy him a bit more time with fans

Are you all joking? Really?

It was a terrible challenge!! Since when do you win the ball by jumping on top of it with both feet together? Really lucky he didn't catch the player. I wouldn't have been suprised to see a red card for it.

It was a terrible challenge!! Since when do you win the ball by jumping on top of it with both feet together? Really lucky he didn't catch the player. I wouldn't have been suprised to see a red card for it.

It was a text book block tackle. His feet didn't leave the ground. Two feet together, studs down. Ref was very poor today, summed up the whole game really. Pies were good though

You would be correct if he'd actually jumped in to the challenge. But he didn't.

I thought a booking was right. It was two-footed but not an aerial assault from two yards away. These tackles can seriously damage fellow professionals and I thought that was one of the few decisions the referee got right. On the plus side I thought Maynard looked lively and may have set up a couple of goals if only we could get bodies in the box quicker!! In addition, I thought the way we played first half with balls fizzing in and around the penalty area would have been made for him - it was a shame for him that he came on in a period when the game had degenerated into very low quality with nothing being created.

can't agree at all.

We were right in line in front of the challenge and all he did was to plant his feet to block the ball with both his shins.

He didn't attempt to tackle the guy, just block the rebound - which he did perfectly.

It was a crap decision by a crap ref who regularly lost control of the game.

a terrible challenge would have seen him plant his feet on the blokes legs which didn't happen.

The ref was unsighted and it probably looked worse from behind Maynards shoulder, he clearly tried to block the rebound, nothing else.

Look at that picture. Tell me how a person can stand up like that? The only way he can stand like that is for a minimal period of time and if he's jumped into it. He paused, put his feet together and jumped. One of the decisions the Referee got right, I'll agree he wasn't all too consistent but was relieved he didn't catch the player as that would've been a red.

I was amazed but not surprised when the ref booked Maynard. Just one more example of how little referees know about how the game of football is actually played. As has been said earlier, it was a textbook block tackle. At the point of contact both Maynard's feet were on the ground and he only made contact with the ball and not the player.

And then the ref gave his drama queen impression attempting to show a zero tolerance for foul play while actually showing that he had never played a game of football in his life.

what the hell you on about , you ever played the game , there was no intent in the tackle whatsoever , mr Hall is consistantly the worse ref we get at ashton gate every season , i cant believe he s still a referee , I am a fully qualified referee some ( no most ) of his decisions are a joke .

If you're a fully qualified ref you'll know that there is no such things as intent in the laws of the game. Stop listening to Andy Gray.

Careless, reckless or excessive.

That wouldn't be the same plank called Andy Gray who thought Dawson of Spurs was unlucky to be sent off today would it?

If you're a fully qualified ref you'll know that there is no such things as intent in the laws of the game. Stop listening to Andy Gray.

You now what i mean , there is also nothing in the rules which say you are not aloud to jump in the air and land with both your feet close together near an opponent , if he had landed on his legs / leg different story , every time i see this ref the more i cant believe he is still aloud to ref , refs are well paid nowadays and must be brought to task on there mistakes , this ref makes more than most and refs with an arrogant I'm the boss attitude

You now what i mean

No, because....

there is also nothing in the rules which say you are not aloud to jump in the air and land with both your feet close together near an opponent

...the ref obviously thought whatever he did was careless, reckless or excessive and therefore covered neatly in the rules.

I'm not saying it was the right decision (from where I was it looked innocent enough but I'll admit I didn't have the best view) but if he thought it was any of the three he was right to caution him.

There is, insofar as you can be penalised for attempting to kick or strike an opponent.

i.e. A player intending to kick the opponent but failing to do so can still result in a freekick or penalty.

There is, insofar as you can be penalised for attempting to kick or strike an opponent.

i.e. A player intending to kick the opponent but failing to do so can still result in a freekick or penalty.

Well yes, to a degree. But the issue I have is that people think intent is king and careless tackles shouldn't result in a free kick or a caution. If I really need to copy and paste the whole wording...

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following six offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

* kicks or attempts to kick an opponent

* trips or attempts to trip an opponent

* jumps at an opponent

* charges an opponent

* strikes or attempts to strike an opponent

* pushes an opponent

Therefore, intent doesn't matter as indicated by the word 'or'. It all comes down to careless, reckless or excessive. Although yes, most kicking an opponent 'with intent' would fall nicely under excessive.

No, because....

...the ref obviously thought whatever he did was careless, reckless or excessive and therefore covered neatly in the rules.

I'm not saying it was the right decision (from where I was it looked innocent enough but I'll admit I didn't have the best view) but if he thought it was any of the three he was right to caution him.

He was wrong , he should be use to that because with this ref many of his decisions are , I'm not looking a the game through red rose tinted glases he made many wrong decisions for both sides , i cringe every time i see this man refereeing , its simple he is awful

Look at that picture. Tell me how a person can stand up like that? The only way he can stand like that is for a minimal period of time and if he's jumped into it. He paused, put his feet together and jumped. One of the decisions the Referee got right, I'll agree he wasn't all too consistent but was relieved he didn't catch the player as that would've been a red.

When I saw the tackle I thought it was a fair one. Looking at the picture, I still think it is a fair one. The thing is, you cannot tackle a player without some times showing your studs. Looking at the picture, NM was lucky not to be caught by the Norwich player as his studs are showing. A good hard tackle nowadays is hard to find in professional football.

It was a text book block tackle. His feet didn't leave the ground. Two feet together, studs down.

I cant believe you have written that, please tell me you are joking.

You can not jump into a tackle with 2 feet because its against the rules,and it is impossible to shift both feet towards the ball without jumping....unless you are a slug!!

I make it - 11 didnt think it was a card and 4 did. well 5 cause i had a good view from middle of g block Atyeo and, imo, in todays game thats a booking if only cause he jumped in ( even if it was a block).

And yes Parkway I played football for many years ( downs league and Sunday league, now retired :rolleyes: ) and i still thought it was a booking and whats more all you lot would've been baying for blood if that had been Leroy on Liam Fontaine.

Gotta add I thought the ref really loved himself , right little prima donna :D :D

First you say you "boo'd" Trundle because he tried to retain position in the last few minutes Saturday??

and now you are saying Maynard was lucky not to get red carded for his challenge Saturday?

Right, I'm putting this down to one of two things, either

1, You love to disagree with people just so get a rise out of them

2, you really have no clue about football

He didnt "jump" into the tackle, and the photo clearly proves that.

I know you sit in the Atyeo, as do I, and I was right in front of it....you see tackles like that week in week out.

The tackle was one of those slightly odd ones. You can see it in two ways.

I don't think there was any malice in Maynard's tackle and he didn't hurt the guy but there are two reasons why I think a booking is justified.

1. Two feet. Two feet went towards the ball. He didn't connect or follow through with two feet. But the reason the "two feet" thing is kept to is that there's no reason for going in with two. It takes one foot to get a ball and as far as I am aware you are only allowed to use one foot for that reason. The second foot is likely to catch something other than the ball.

2. He jumped in. Yes he intended to get the ball - no doubt. But when you jump in the air like that you commit yourself and come down from a height. If the ball or player suddenly moves then you're not in a great position to get out of his way and your coming down with studs.

At the end of the day the tackle was not a bad one. BUT there is a very fine line between tackles that go unpunished/unnoticed and those that break legs. It was slightly careless by Maynard. Should have got a yellow. Got a yellow.

(BTW I say all this having not seen a replay of it)

He didnt "jump" into the tackle, and the photo clearly proves that.

I disagree, Andy. First of all I don't see how a still photo can show how a player got in to that position (he could have done 5 cartwheels and a forward roll before getting in to that position for all we could tell from the still)

But actually it does show that two feet were down and that his legs were in advance of his body. Now unless he was running while drunk (I have had a few evenings when I have walked home from the pub - my legs somehow guiding me with the rest of my body and head following 5 yards behind) then I think it shows that he must have jumped in a bit. You don't get your legs in that position from standing up or running.

Archived