IGNORED

Outplayed, Outclassed And Well Beaten.

Robbored

Well you have to say that City had it coming. Many times this and last season teams failed to punish City when they had the chance but today Reading showed us what happens when you make mistakes against high quality palyers.

Reading were quicker all over the pitch, their passing was slicker,their movement was causing City problems all game and they were very fit.They played hardly any long balls and City got what was deserved - nothing.

We just have to accept that they were better than us all over the pitch and that if we want to compete at the buisness end of the league then Reading showed us just how much we need to improve. Personally I don't think City have enough quality - none of todays City players would get into the Reading or Brum side and Johnson needs to seriously strengthen via the loan market and in the January window otherwise it'll be mid table for City come May. Imo he's given the current squad enough time to prove themselves and today they were seriously found out.

On a positive note. Stern John was City's best player by far and it was good to see him score. Hopefully he'll go on to score a few more.

The game was completely embarrassing. It's one thing to be outclassed, but for the City players heads to drop like that was disgraceful. Burnley managed to beat them last week, are they that much better than us? To me, the players were just not up for it today.

Is there something more going on behind the scenes?

The game was completely embarrassing. It's one thing to be outclassed, but for the City players heads to drop like that was disgraceful. Burnley managed to beat them last week, are they that much better than us? To me, the players were just not up for it today.

I don't think we should read too much in to this perfomance, we just had a bad day at the office simple as that.

reading were terrific today. the way they pressed us when we did have the ball was immense and they had pace all over the field.

Easily the best team down the gate this season and if they play like that all season theyw ill be champions.

we were rubbish from first whistle.

next game cant come soon enough

Well you have to say that City had it coming. Many times this and last season teams failed to punish City when they had the chance but today Reading showed us what happens when you make mistakes against high quality palyers.

Reading were quicker all over the pitch, their passing was slicker,their movement was causing City problems all game and they were very fit.They played hardly any long balls and City got what was deserved - nothing.

We just have to accept that they were better than us all over the pitch and that if we want to compete at the buisness end of the league then Reading showed us just how much we need to improve. Personally I don't think City have enough quality - none of todays City players would get into the Reading or Brum side and Johnson needs to seriously strengthen via the loan market and in the January window otherwise it'll be mid table for City come May. Imo he's given the current squad enough time to prove themselves and today they were seriously found out.

On a positive note. Stern John was City's best player by far and it was good to see him score. Hopefully he'll go on to score a few more.

I'm getting fed up with this.....I keep agreeing with you just lately.

as said, no quality anywhere on the pitch, John looked good and Akinde looks like he's got alot of potential, however midfield needs serious improvements as ever.

I was very disappointed today and Reading completly outplayed us.They were always a yard ahead of our lads and physically they dominated too. Although pleased to see Stern John grab a goal although he cant play against Southampton.

We desperatly need Johnson to go out and get a CREATIVE player to give John and the other strikers more chances, and it showed we were lacking that player today. John was very lively, best outfield player today.

Defensively we were a shambles although 4 previous clean sheets suggest we can put a stop to the ridiculous defending this afternoon.Distrubution from the wide areas needs to be better, especially from Bradley on the right hand side.

Come On You Reds

Any thoughts ?

As mentioned, I think you have to just write today's performance/result off. We can never be that poor again.

Their first 3 goals came from mistakes, and with the quality they had, they obviously took advantage. They looked class and outplayed us without getting into 3rd gear, but we were very poor all over.

Positives, John looked good, could have had a hatrick, Akinde looked ok, Noble was class.

They pressed on for the entire 90 minutes, they harried everyone of our players for 90 minutes, it was an impressive display but our suicidal defending and 'rabbit in the headlights' play added to what was one of the worst afternoons of watching City for some considerable time.

Having gifted them the first and then instantly the second you would have thought that getting the ball out of the danger zone asap would be at the forefront of their minds. But no, Boom Boom decides time after time that he can outplay the reading attack, Fontaine joins in and poor old brian wilson must be wondering what happened to him today - he was boiled alive!

Strangely GJ seemed utterly unable to do anything tactically against the onslaught, and why the **** Sproule was allowed to stay on as long as he did is a mystery.

A horrible mess of a performance that was compounded (once again) by the scapegoating of LJ, who did play badly but does not deserve the treatment he gets.

frankly any one of the whole team could have been substituted.

I did like the mass outbreak of irony though.

(just noticed the comment 'Noble was class' above - sorry but for 5 minutes when he came on he was OK, but then I watched him ballwatch, stroll back to cover and drift right out of the game. Opposition players cruised around him, he was static when receiving the ball, certainly not 'class' in my book)

Wilson was made to look silly today and clearly not his position so can't really roast him for that although their second goal he'd have to put his hand up! Reading were clinical. That lad at the back with the dreads was class, harper and hunt were composed and the boys up front were clinical so we have to say that man for man they are simply better. If we want to compete we need better players but this current team are good enough to keep us in the championship so lets be fair. LJ's treatment was harsh and although he had a stinker no one who wears a city shirt should be treated that way by fans, its a disgrace. 3 points next week and its all forgotten!

They pressed on for the entire 90 minutes, they harried everyone of our players for 90 minutes, it was an impressive display but our suicidal defending and 'rabbit in the headlights' play added to what was one of the worst afternoons of watching City for some considerable time.

Having gifted them the first and then instantly the second you would have thought that getting the ball out of the danger zone asap would be at the forefront of their minds. But no, Boom Boom decides time after time that he can outplay the reading attack, Fontaine joins in and poor old brian wilson must be wondering what happened to him today - he was boiled alive!

Strangely GJ seemed utterly unable to do anything tactically against the onslaught, and why the **** Sproule was allowed to stay on as long as he did is a mystery.

A horrible mess of a performance that was compounded (once again) by the scapegoating of LJ, who did play badly but does not deserve the treatment he gets.

(just noticed the comment 'Noble was class' above - sorry but for 5 minutes when he came on he was OK, but then I watched him ballwatch, stroll back to cover and drift right out of the game. Opposition players cruised around him, he was static when receiving the ball, certainly not 'class' in my book)

in fairness (rightly or wrongly) he wasn't singled out, Sproule and Maynard got the same treatment.

and come the last 5mins I'm fairly sure nearly every player apart from the subs and John were getting boo'd with each touch,

I hate to say it but this result was coming. I have said before that if we kept persisting with the uninspiring tactic of trying to CONTAIN the opposition in the first half we would eventually come unstuck. Steve Coppell is too good a manager to let such a basic tactic pass without noticing and his Reading side completely outplayed and embarrassed us in the first half and the first twenty minutes of the second half. It was men against boys out there.

Defensively we were feeble but I can forgive our defenders a bad day at the office because so often on so many occasions they drag us through many a sticky situation. Unfortunately what I cannot forgive is a midfield that works hard but is totally devoid of any quality and creativity whatsoever. Sproule never got ONE SINGLE CROSS IN. McIndoe never got ONE SINGLE CROSS IN. The only two quality crosses by us all game were from Bradley Orr which set up the header well saved from Stern John and the goal by John. Elliott looks a shadow of the player that breezed through this division last season and Lee Johnson alongside him just doesn't cut the mustard in a 4-4-2 system - he simply ain't good enough.

The two bright sparks of an otherwise terrible afternoon were Stern John's overall performance and the 25 minute shift put in by David Noble who proved beyond all doubt that he is the best footballer we have at the club (perhaps Williams and Trundle come reasonably close) in the way he carried the ball and started to get us playing with his nice range of passing. If Gary Johnson does not find a way of introducing this boy into our starting line up then as far as I am concerned he is short changing us big time.

The worst part of the afternoon was the ironic cheering of the LJ substitution that is supposed to be aimed at the manager but obviously affects the player far more. It doesn't achieve anything for the simple reason that GJ should be coming out in the media tonight and explaining his team selection and woeful tactics. Instead he can divert attention from his own abysmal performance today and criticise supporters instead for the treatment of his boy.

Having said the above I can understand the frustration of many a regular supporter who has forked out a lot of money and is fed up with watching largely dull and uninspiring football with few chances created because we have a poor midfield and a defensively orientated manager. In the last week I have watched us fail to create a single worthwhile chance at Barnsley, turn in an awful first 45 minutes against Sheffield United where we were outplayed and turn in an even worse 70 minutes against Reading. I'm sorry but it just isn't good enough and whilst Gary is happy to take the plaudits when things are going well and sign a 5 year contract worth plenty of money he now has to carry out the muckier side of his profession which is take responsibility for the failings of his side and turn the situation around. Perhaps he could try doing this without looking for other parties to blame such as frustrated supporters. Take the criticism like a man just as you would have to if you were in charge of a much larger Premier League club.

We looked like rabbits caught in headlights from minute one. They were sharper in every department but we made them look better by being so hesitant and disorganised in defence and presenting them with opportunites. McCombe was awful and seemed to cause panic amongst his team mates all the way through the game. Couple that with a complete lack of midfield and we were an accident waiting to happen. There is no question that we have to sign a quality attacking midfielder as we are bereft of any strength in depth in that department and Noble is not the answer.

On the plus side, Stern John looked good and will score goals for us i feel.

You didn't watch Noble hard enough then because he had around twenty plus touches when he came on and never gave the ball away once. And that, without playing the easy option BACKWARDS too many times either. It was Noble and Trundle who combined to set up Bradley's one on one which was more of a contribution than any of our midfield starting four managed in 70 minutes between them - did you miss that? Noble also carried the ball FORWARDS on a number of occasions too. It's time for a few people to face facts - Noble is the best footballer we have at this club INCLUDING the manager's son. Ineterestingly I noticed that Stern John, Marvin Elliott, Trundle and McIndoe were all looking to get the ball to Noble at every opportunity - I couldn't begin to think why that might be?!!

Opinions. Static?? He was always moving with the ball, and if he lost posession it must have been once or twice at the most.

Most important thing is he plays it forward, without hesitating, and when necessary he puts his foot on the ball and gets some control back.

He looked a class act in my opinion.

I hate to say it but this result was coming. I have said before that if we kept persisting with the uninspiring tactic of trying to CONTAIN the opposition in the first half we would eventually come unstuck. Steve Coppell is too good a manager to let such a basic tactic pass without noticing and his Reading side completely outplayed and embarrassed us in the first half and the first twenty minutes of the second half. It was men against boys out there.

Defensively we were feeble but I can forgive our defenders a bad day at the office because so often on so many occasions they drag us through many a sticky situation. Unfortunately what I cannot forgive is a midfield that works hard but is totally devoid of any quality and creativity whatsoever. Sproule never got ONE SINGLE CROSS IN. McIndoe never got ONE SINGLE CROSS IN. The only two quality crosses by us all game were from Bradley Orr which set up the header well saved from Stern John and the goal by John. Elliott looks a shadow of the player that breezed through this division last season and Lee Johnson alongside him just doesn't cut the mustard in a 4-4-2 system - he simply ain't good enough.

The two bright sparks of an otherwise terrible afternoon were Stern John's overall performance and the 25 minute shift put in by David Noble who proved beyond all doubt that he is the best footballer we have at the club (perhaps Williams and Trundle come reasonably close) in the way he carried the ball and started to get us playing with his nice range of passing. If Gary Johnson does not find a way of introducing this boy into our starting line up then as far as I am concerned he is short changing us big time.

The worst part of the afternoon was the ironic cheering of the LJ substitution that is supposed to be aimed at the manager but obviously affects the player far more. It doesn't achieve anything for the simple reason that GJ should be coming out in the media tonight and explaining his team selection and woeful tactics. Instead he can divert attention from his own abysmal performance today and criticise supporters instead for the treatment of his boy.

Having said the above I can understand the frustration of many a regular supporter who has forked out a lot of money and is fed up with watching largely dull and uninspiring football with few chances created because we have a poor midfield and a defensively orientated manager. In the last week I have watched us fail to create a single worthwhile chance at Barnsley, turn in an awful first 45 minutes against Sheffield United where we were outplayed and turn in an even worse 70 minutes against Reading. I'm sorry but it just isn't good enough and whilst Gary is happy to take the plaudits when things are going well and sign a 5 year contract worth plenty of money he now has to carry out the muckier side of his profession which is take responsibility for the failings of his side and turn the situation around. Perhaps he could try doing this without looking for other parties to blame such as frustrated supporters. Take the criticism like a man just as you would have to if you were in charge of a much larger Premier League club.

You were doing so well up till the last paragraph! I agree with everything you've said, but it is starting to sound like a witch hunt against Johnson now from you. He has always accepted when he gets it wrong and if he criticises the ironic cheering of substitutions or booing of the team then he doesn't use it as an excuse but to try and get it across that it doesn't help, as you've said yourself.

'm sorry but it just isn't good enough and whilst Gary is happy to take the plaudits when things are going well and sign a 5 year contract worth plenty of money he now has to carry out the muckier side of his profession which is take responsibility for the failings of his side and turn the situation around. Perhaps he could try doing this without looking for other parties to blame such as frustrated supporters. Take the criticism like a man just as you would have to if you were in charge of a much larger Premier League club.

agree with all this, I personally don't believe it was aimed a LJ either, because for the simple reason that Sproule and Maynard got jeered as well,

I heard the normal excuses on the radio after the game, however will changes ACTUALLY be made in the position that need changes and improvements MIDFIELD.

Gary is more than happy to live it up with the media attention that has come his way since promotion to the Championship and what has followed, but he must be willing to accept that not all fans are mindless drones who agree with every decision he makes and if we don't like something he will get stick.

If Gary decided to throw his toys out of the pram and quit because of the treatment of his son, then that will say more about him as a person and a manager than about the fans.

You were doing so well up till the last paragraph! I agree with everything you've said, but it is starting to sound like a witch hunt against Johnson now from you. He has always accepted when he gets it wrong and if he criticises the ironic cheering of substitutions or booing of the team then he doesn't use it as an excuse but to try and get it across that it doesn't help, as you've said yourself.

My point is that GJ has to totally ignore and forget the crowd reaction and start some seriously hard work on Monday to get our season back on track. I am certainly not conducting a witch hunt against a manager who has been successful for us to date. I will be interested to read Johnson's post match comments on this game because he certainly got the tactics wrong on this occasion!!

It is get worrying that every time we play one of the top teams we do not seem able to compete.I think GJ needs to look at the squad and start getting in some more quality in key areas like midfield instead of trotting the same old line of ""not good enough on the day and it will be a tough week ahead", which is not sorting the problem out.As for dropping Lee Trundle what a stupid decision.

It is get worrying that every time we play one of the top teams we do not seem able to compete.I think GJ needs to look at the squad and start getting in some more quality in key areas like midfield instead of trotting the same old line of ""not good enough on the day and it will be a tough week ahead", which is not sorting the problem out.As for dropping Lee Trundle what a stupid decision.

we have played 5 of the current top 6 (sheffield twice), so far this season.

2 point return.

for us to consider ourselfves promotion contenders is nothing short of an embrassing

I don't think so but that little guy in your signature :gasmask: sure knows a lot :gasmask:

My brother in law is a Burnley s/t holder, he was at there game in the week and said that Reading murdered Burnley for 89 mins, they hit the bar 4 times and were the best side hes seen by a mile this season. He still cant work out how Burnley won 1-0.

In a way Reading reminded me of how we used to play last season, confident, well organised, fit and all working for eachother. We've lost some of that so far this season.

Obviously the experience and quality of the Premier League shows through and of course they are ambitious to go straight back up. They wanted it more than us today, and unfortunately played us on a day nothing was going for us. They made things happen, bossed us and having done their homework exploited our weaknesses. Got to give them credit for that.

I'm sure much of the training would have been done with Williams in mind, he was MOTM on Tuesday and to have him fail a late fitness test must have disrupted our plans. Adebola showed me how important he is in taking the battering and grinding down defenders before fresh legs are introduced, he was missed today for those reasons, but i understand why GJ wanted to rest him, i don't agree with it , but I've hindsight GJ doesn't have. Sproule as a starter doesn't work, far more effective when playing against tired legs.

Oh, and can anyone see how Lita would fit into Reading's team today, I can't.

Spot on

Lets be honest there's not a single outfield city player who would get into that side.

If you had offered us this option 15 months ago, I'm sure most of us would have bitten your hand off. It just shows how far we've come.

And Leicester won, even though they were losing with four minutes left :drunk2:

Who gives a flying one about Leicester or the North Bristol Nomads? I don't - I pay to watch Bristol City and I have been paying decent money recently to watch pretty dull football when I want to be entertained on a regular basis. That is what I care about.

Archived