IGNORED

Ashton Gate Memories

Sir Colby-Tit

With our shiny new stadium on the horizon, it got me reminiscing about my past experiences at AG. Not necessarily particular games, but also events that stick in the memory.

I'll never forget my first game; Leeds United in ye olde firste division in the 70's. My old man took me into the enclosure in front of the Grandstand (that's the Williams for the benefit of the young 'uns). The fog was so bad you couldn't even see the other side of the ground and the game was abandonded. Didn't matter one bit to me - I was hooked.

I also remember Norman Hunter preparing to take a throw, and I put my arm through the railings and grabbed his shirt. He turned round and ruffled my hair & was my favourite player from that game (I can't remember who we were playing)

It didn't take long before I pestered my old man to take me into the East End. He took me and my two older brothers and carried three rickety stools through the turnstiles for us to stand on. He put them in front of a crash barrier right in the middle, behind the goal and stood protectively behind us. He taught us all the words to all the songs, on the condition we didn't repeat them in front of our mum!

As a teenager I started to go into the Park End with my mates, scarf tied round each wrist, so we could wind up the away fans.

I'll also never forget the first game I decided to sit in the Dolman, which happened to be the game against Millwall when all the seats got ripped up and thrown.

So, get your memories down on this thread and maybe we can bury it in a time capsule under the centre spot when the bulldozers move in.

With our shiny new stadium on the horizon, it got me reminiscing about my past experiences at AG. Not necessarily particular games, but also events that stick in the memory.

I'll never forget my first game; Leeds United in ye olde firste division in the 70's. My old man took me into the enclosure in front of the Grandstand (that's the Williams for the benefit of the young 'uns). The fog was so bad you couldn't even see the other side of the ground and the game was abandonded. Didn't matter one bit to me - I was hooked.

I also remember Norman Hunter preparing to take a throw, and I put my arm through the railings and grabbed his shirt. He turned round and ruffled my hair & was my favourite player from that game (I can't remember who we were playing)

It didn't take long before I pestered my old man to take me into the East End. He took me and my two older brothers and carried three rickety stools through the turnstiles for us to stand on. He put them in front of a crash barrier right in the middle, behind the goal and stood protectively behind us. He taught us all the words to all the songs, on the condition we didn't repeat them in front of our mum!

As a teenager I started to go into the Park End with my mates, scarf tied round each wrist, so we could wind up the away fans.

I'll also never forget the first game I decided to sit in the Dolman, which happened to be the game against Millwall when all the seats got ripped up and thrown.

So, get your memories down on this thread and maybe we can bury it in a time capsule under the centre spot when the bulldozers move in.

Gavin and Smith tearing down the wings, Taylor and Turner up top in a proper attacking formation!

Best memory by far - we hadnt beaten the scabby rent boys for 5 years - dirty Devon White takes a penalty infront of the East End and

Leaning saves it - we go down the other end - Parkin fumbles and Donowa scores the winner and the ground went absolutely mental - and we gained the upper hand over the rent boys for years to come !!!

The East End was totally fantastic that night and its a real shame it aint the same !!

Best memory by far - we hadnt beaten the scabby rent boys for 5 years - dirty Devon White takes a penalty infront of the East End and

Leaning saves it - we go down the other end - Parkin fumbles and Donowa scores the winner and the ground went absolutely mental - and we gained the upper hand over the rent boys for years to come !!!

The East End was totally fantastic that night and its a real shame it aint the same !!

Yep - that's my fav too! Everytime a thread like this comes up I say this game. Never heard noise like it before when Louie knocked it in.

Also, any game in the old East End was always special, before the seats came in. Night games were always the best, why is that?

Not an Ashton Gate memory, but those two birds at Wembley letting it all hang out at the Mansfield game still sticks in my mind, was 14 and couldn't keep my eyes off them! Gawd bless you both if you're reading!

My first game in the early 90's at home to Barnsley. I remember Wayne Allison's tap-in winner to this day.

The 3 Pig mascots fighting with Wolves' mascot.

Being absolutely amazed by Ruud Gullit's passing ability during a pre-season friendly in the mid 90's.

The whole of the Rotherham game when we clinched promotion and then running onto the pitch.

The noise poor Scott Brown's leg made when Damien Spencer snapped it in half.

That's the main outstanding things that come to mind really.

One of my favourite memories was being in the Dolman, Playoff semi-final second leg, Freezer and Roberts scoring in the last 5 mins to take us to Cardiff! The Dolman stand was shaking beneath my feet, I thought it was going to collapse! One of the best nights I've experienced at the Gate!

The smell of pipe smoke in the Dolman from the old timers when I was a kid

Fantastic, mine too! My dad used to moan but I loved it. Good times.

Team wise its got to be Jacki doing an ossie ardiles flick up the wing and the walshy shuffle.

Playing with true wingers (smith and Gavin).

Two amazing frontmen (turner and taylor)

Most of all moaning at Devon White and that excuse for a footballer the gas had at fullback. Dirty swine.

What was his name again?

The Leeds game was my first game as well. Stood at ground level with my nose up against the railings up at the Park End. Can anyone remember what year it was?

Started off in the middle of the East End, moved over to the corner of the East (Crackers Corner I think it was known as) then onto the Grandstand Enclosure before they put the seats in. Now back in the East End to enjoy the last few years of being able stand.

Favourite memory, coming back from 2 goals down against Hereford in the Leyland Daf Freight Rover Johnsons Paint Trophy to secure my first trip to Wembley.

Happy Days

i love threads like this. i love to see what people have experienced, its so interesting.

i think the best game at home ive been to, and there are a lot of contenders (3-0 v rovers, 3-2 v rovers, palace in play offs etc), the one to stick out for me, slightly, is hartlepool. people say but aww we didnt win in the final; irrelevant. them two goals were absolutely incredible, and i doubt we'll go through anything like that again or at least not anytime soon. the meaning of the game, the way in which we left it so late, tuesday night, goals in front of the atyeo, EVERYTHING! it was just absolutely perfect.

but as it seems to be some of the oldies posting in here, pre 80s stuff, i better keep to the topic. dad always goes on about back in the 80s when we were at home to west ham and he was in the east end and then a load of west ham got in there n kicked off big time. any remember that? he also says when we beat chelsea in the cup, think it was chelsea? might of been leeds? or maybe both? but anyway, all sound quality.

my goal in life is to invent a time machine...

We beat Chelsea in the FA Cup back in early 1990 if my memory is working. Pished down all afternoon, they got a soaking in the old open end! Not quite the Chelsea of nowadays mind, but still a very enjoyable afternoon - even though I wasn't there as I had been banned for the rest of the season after an 'incident' in the 2nd round game against Rotherham! Bloody rozzers!

That'll be the railings in my sig. Game was played on 4 December 1976

Remember being in the EE and watching those railings bend in the middle when (I think) Wolves fans rushed them and our Park end boys rushed them back - the kink was there until they pulled them up for the Atyeo to be built

First game was with the old man taking me to see a friendly v Chelski (or Chelsea as they were then) in about 74 or 75.......

As for memories

Watching the likes of - to name but a few

Mick Hudson - Stan Bowles - Bob Latchford - Frank Worthington - Frank Stapleton - Liam Brady - Toshack - Keegan - Dalgleish - Denis Tueart - Asa Hartford - Billy Bremner - Peter Lorimer - Joe Jordan - Eto - the list goes on - All gracing the AG turf

Promotion to the top league in 76

Rolling Stones in 82

Coming back from one down to beat Liverpool in 77 (well done Chrissy boy)

Chelsea in the cup

so so many

Will be a tear in the eye on that final day in May 2012 - guaranteed

For some reason a John Galley goal sticks out in my memory.

I think it was against Sheff. Utd and I was on the railings with my ol man at the East End just to the right hand side,

this was in the days before the Dolman was built and I always thought what a great place to live it would be.

Anyway, Galley (my Dad used to call him a carthorse), scored a thumping 20 yarder.

And we all got crushed, it was brilliant.

I always wanted to hit the ball that hard and spent the next forty years trying -

now I need my hip replacing!

:winner_third_h4h:

New to this but had to add my memories

First game I ever went to was 1984 I think, my old man took me to watch City v West Ham in the League cup, first proper football match I had ever been to, I remember walking in to the enclosure and thinking how amazing the place looked. Within 5 minutes chairs were raining down from the west ham fans that had got into the main stand and my dad had thrown me on to the edge of the pitch and told me to stay there, I was hooked from that moment.

Fondest memories are standing on the east end, it was a great place to grow up watching football, any game that 'Jacki' Dziekanowski played in especially a 2-2 draw with pompey on the opening day of the season in the 90's and beating the gas when Louie Donowa scored.

It was actually dirty Hollowhead!

My memory aint the best! Apart from a few moments that have been mentioned already, i can remember seeing two free-kicks in the space of about 10 mins at the Atyeo end,both left footed. the first one flew into the top left hand corner and the second in he top right!!! Magical. But........ i am sat here and cant remember if it was Bell or Barnard!!!! HELP!!!!! (its doing my head in)!!!! :grr::grr::grr:

My memory aint the best! Apart from a few moments that have been mentioned already, i can remember seeing two free-kicks in the space of about 10 mins at the Atyeo end,both left footed. the first one flew into the top left hand corner and the second in he top right!!! Magical. But........ i am sat here and cant remember if it was Bell or Barnard!!!! HELP!!!!! (its doing my head in)!!!! :grr::grr::grr:

Possibly Bells 2 free kicks against Plymouth in 1997? They came within a few minutes of each other. Was a night game.

http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=246414

I'm younger than most on here, but I remember beating Rovers 1-0 in 1990. The East End was still standing if I remember correctly, and I was stood on my dads shoulders for most of the matches.

The others that stand out are the usual, playoffs wins vs Palace and Hartlepool and the 3-2, and 3-0 derby wins.

dad always goes on about back in the 80s when we were at home to west ham and he was in the east end and then a load of west ham got in there n kicked off big time. any remember that?

my goal in life is to invent a time machine...

West Ham did come in the East End, but they were also in the seats at the front of the Granstand ( above the Enclosure, where the clock is now ) At that time alot of City fans had moved out of the East End to form their own little singing mob in the back corner of the Enclosure so these West Ham fans were immediately above them when they made themselves known.

A number of City fans managed to clamber up on top of the back wall to confront them. Blows were exchanged but my abiding memory is of the West Ham fans pushing the City fans off the wall and seeing them toppling backwards onto the crowd below them.

I was in the corner of the East End ( the open air bit ) and as far as I remember the West Ham attempted invasion was nowhere near the mayhem that occurred in the back corner of the East End when Man.Utd and Rovers both came in in about 74., but that's another story.

Such was the fashion for trying to 'take' the oppositions home end in our First Division days, literally hundreds of City fans would often wait in the East End ( at the top of the entrance slope ) when the London club's, in particular, were at the Gate, eyeing up the fans as they walked through to spot the expected intruders and prevent them getting any further. There was a huge excitement and sense of anticipation amongst them.

In those days it was so crowded that the eventual trouble usually amounted to little more than lots of pushing, shouting and swaying of the crowd and once the away fans had shown their face and attempted a few chants they were usually repelled fairly quickly by a combination of the mass of City fans plus the police. Any actual fighting was usually short lived and probably limited to 10 or so fans at the front of each group before the police dived in to separate them, but the ripple effect of the agitated crowd around them made it look alot worse. If they managed to infiltrate towards the middle or the back of the East End before being discovered there could be much more serious uproar when they made themselves known - usually with a single roar of their clubs' name - but it was still all over fairly quickly. The responsive chant of "You'll never take the East End" was a familiar sound at games as the City fans in the middle turned en masse to locate their foes, and this chant was also the background noise to any fighting.

If away fans had been expected to come in but had not yet shown themselves the chant of, "--------, where are you? ------- where are you?" would go up to try and get a response.

Never saw the East End under serious threat, although do remember one strange occasion when hundreds of Cardiff fans were allowed to stay in the open bit for the whole match behind lines of police. The other odd thing about that was there was no attempt to break through from either side, only humourous chanting between the 2 sets of fans.

Guest ashtonyate

I suppose the most memorable game when we beat Pompey to gain promotion It was one of the best footballing moment in my footballing life.

My Dad had watched City all his life and it was always his wish that we would get to the first division and all so play at Wembley.

Unfortunately he never seen either so I felt sad he was not there but I felt he was watching from a far,it felt we had come of age being mention in the same breath as Man U Liverpool Arsenal what a wonderful few years they were.

In that period we played Liverpool In a night game we were fighting for our first division lives there were 39,000 people in the ground that night and against all the odds we beat them another of the great games I have seen at the Gate.

Ashton gate sounding like this before kick off

Incredible, mind you it helps if it's the League Cup semi final 2nd leg with more than 28,000 in the ground.

The old Open End looks great with fans standing perilously high up on the walls clinging to the railings and what a difference it made being able to boo the opposition onto the pitch before cheering the emergence of the City team.

Guest ashtonyate

Another strange thing that happened it was back in the 60s we were playing Fulham, Jimmy Hill was trying to take a corner it was at the open end dolman side.

Every time he placed the ball and when to take it the ball boy would replace the ball inside the quadrangle this happened about 3 times then the ref place it in the right position and Hill took it I wonder if anyone can remember the incident it has always stuck in my mind

Never saw the East End under serious threat, although do remember one strange occasion when hundreds of Cardiff fans were allowed to stay in the open bit for the whole match behind lines of police. The other odd thing about that was there was no attempt to break through from either side, only humourous chanting between the 2 sets of fans.

Until near the end City chanted Abervan, they tried then!

Archived