IGNORED

Ashton Gate Memories

Sir Colby-Tit

Never saw the East End under serious threat, although do remember one strange occasion when hundreds of Cardiff fans were allowed to stay in the open bit for the whole match behind lines of police. The other odd thing about that was there was no attempt to break through from either side, only humourous chanting between the 2 sets of fans.

Until near the end City chanted Abervan, they tried then!

I remember that, but even with that level of provocation they didn't seem too bothered. The whole afternoon was a bit half hearted, with grins on both sides.

The bit I remember best was one particularly fat Cardiff fan was sat on top of the wall and the City fans were singing, "Humpty, Dumpty sat on the wall" and both City and Cardiff fans were laughing their heads off.

It was like a mutual admiration day, an alternative universe, really really odd.

Guest Red Nee Tot
West Ham did come in the East End, but they were also in the seats at the front of the Granstand ( above the Enclosure, where the clock is now ) At that time alot of City fans had moved out of the East End to form their own little singing mob in the back corner of the Enclosure so these West Ham fans were immediately above them when they made themselves known.

A number of City fans managed to clamber up on top of the back wall to confront them. Blows were exchanged but my abiding memory is of the West Ham fans pushing the City fans off the wall and seeing them toppling backwards onto the crowd below them.

I was in the corner of the East End ( the open air bit ) and as far as I remember the West Ham attempted invasion was nowhere near the mayhem that occurred in the back corner of the East End when Man.Utd and Rovers both came in in about 74., but that's another story.

Such was the fashion for trying to 'take' the oppositions home end in our First Division days, literally hundreds of City fans would often wait in the East End ( at the top of the entrance slope ) when the London club's, in particular, were at the Gate, eyeing up the fans as they walked through to spot the expected intruders and prevent them getting any further. There was a huge excitement and sense of anticipation amongst them.

In those days it was so crowded that the eventual trouble usually amounted to little more than lots of pushing, shouting and swaying of the crowd and once the away fans had shown their face and attempted a few chants they were usually repelled fairly quickly by a combination of the mass of City fans plus the police. Any actual fighting was usually short lived and probably limited to 10 or so fans at the front of each group before the police dived in to separate them, but the ripple effect of the agitated crowd around them made it look alot worse. If they managed to infiltrate towards the middle or the back of the East End before being discovered there could be much more serious uproar when they made themselves known - usually with a single roar of their clubs' name - but it was still all over fairly quickly. The responsive chant of "You'll never take the East End" was a familiar sound at games as the City fans in the middle turned en masse to locate their foes, and this chant was also the background noise to any fighting.

If away fans had been expected to come in but had not yet shown themselves the chant of, "--------, where are you? ------- where are you?" would go up to try and get a response.

Never saw the East End under serious threat, although do remember one strange occasion when hundreds of Cardiff fans were allowed to stay in the open bit for the whole match behind lines of police. The other odd thing about that was there was no attempt to break through from either side, only humourous chanting between the 2 sets of fans.

1. Was that the league or the Gloucester Cup game we came in at the bottom end in 1974 ? I spent the night in Nailsea cop shop after the league game.

2. Never under any threat ? What about the Gloucester Cup 72 -- We were in your end before you arrived and all through the match. The Tote in all its glory. Oh those wonderful days in the 70's Never to be repeated ( Thank god )

have mentioned this before but no one seems to remmember him, the guy who used to play the bugle in a and b block in the dolman. classic memory him playin the last post as we beat the gas at home and they trudged off and we were on the way to the playoffs, makes me laugh and cry at the same time classic ag moment.

have mentioned this before but no one seems to remmember him, the guy who used to play the bugle in a and b block in the dolman. classic memory him playin the last post as we beat the gas at home and they trudged off and we were on the way to the playoffs, makes me laugh and cry at the same time classic ag moment.

Remeber him well, he was there until a couple of seasons ago I think.

Best memory by far - we hadnt beaten the scabby rent boys for 5 years - dirty Devon White takes a penalty infront of the East End and

Leaning saves it - we go down the other end - Parkin fumbles and Donowa scores the winner and the ground went absolutely mental - and we gained the upper hand over the rent boys for years to come !!!

The East End was totally fantastic that night and its a real shame it aint the same !!

They were also singing will you ever beat the gas when it went in!!!!!

1. Was that the league or the Gloucester Cup game we came in at the bottom end in 1974 ? I spent the night in Nailsea cop shop after the league game.

2. Never under any threat ? What about the Gloucester Cup 72 -- We were in your end before you arrived and all through the match. The Tote in all its glory. Oh those wonderful days in the 70's Never to be repeated ( Thank god )

1) Night match in the League, City battling for promotion, Rovers near the bottom. Crowd of 25,000+, 0-0 draw if I remember rightly. Don't know about coming in the bottom end, the Rovers fans were in the back corner when the trouble started. Perhaps you were jostling with a former acquaintance of mine who was arrested in the same incident.

2) Not sure if arriving ages before the home fans really counts. :doh: I can remember Rovers fans coming into the East End several times but never staying very long once they made themselves known. Don't remember Glos. Cup 72 specifically, although I would have been there - anything else about the evening to jog my memory?

We beat Chelsea in the FA Cup back in early 1990 if my memory is working. Pished down all afternoon, they got a soaking in the old open end! Not quite the Chelsea of nowadays mind, but still a very enjoyable afternoon - even though I wasn't there as I had been banned for the rest of the season after an 'incident' in the 2nd round game against Rotherham! Bloody rozzers!

I was a steward in the Openend that game. The whole of the Openend was given over to the Chelsea fans.

I was on my own with a Chelsea steward smack bang in the middle of them with just railings seperating us & thousands of Chelsea fans either side of me.

When Robbie Turner scored City's first goal i jumped for joy & started celebrating. When i stopped all the Chelsea fans were just staring at me with evil eye's. To give you a clue i thought at one points i might need a spare pair of under pants. :clapping:

I was a steward in the Openend that game. The whole of the Openend was given over to the Chelsea fans.

I was on my own with a Chelsea steward smack bang in the middle of them with just railings seperating us & thousands of Chelsea fans either side of me.

When Robbie Turner scored City's first goal i jumped for joy & started celebrating. When i stopped all the Chelsea fans were just staring at me with evil eye's. To give you a clue i thought at one points i might need a spare pair of under pants. :clapping:

cracking game that one

Yes you were in there, right on the back set of terracing, thinking you'd taken it, singing, dancing.....Then with about five mins to kick off the biggest mob of City lads I'd seen up to that time swept in, they just kept coming and coming!

I was stood in front of your lot, jeez your faces were a picture! The cops surrounded you and stayed there ALL game, saying "You wanted in...you stay in!" CLASSIC

Yep - that's my fav too! Everytime a thread like this comes up I say this game. Never heard noise like it before when Louie knocked it in.

Also, any game in the old East End was always special, before the seats came in. Night games were always the best, why is that?

Not an Ashton Gate memory, but those two birds at Wembley letting it all hang out at the Mansfield game still sticks in my mind, was 14 and couldn't keep my eyes off them! Gawd bless you both if you're reading!

If you get ya self down the waterfront at the watershed, you can get that image that is still fresh in your mind. On a gift card I brought it as thought it was funny then a closer look showed City flags And that was my 1st game

I remember that, but even with that level of provocation they didn't seem too bothered. The whole afternoon was a bit half hearted, with grins on both sides.

The bit I remember best was one particularly fat Cardiff fan was sat on top of the wall and the City fans were singing, "Humpty, Dumpty sat on the wall" and both City and Cardiff fans were laughing their heads off.

It was like a mutual admiration day, an alternative universe, really really odd.

God, yes, I'd forgotten THAT bit!

Best memory by far - we hadnt beaten the scabby rent boys for 5 years - dirty Devon White takes a penalty infront of the East End and

Leaning saves it - we go down the other end - Parkin fumbles and Donowa scores the winner and the ground went absolutely mental - and we gained the upper hand over the rent boys for years to come !!!

The East End was totally fantastic that night and its a real shame it aint the same !!

Remember the game well.

There was a minute silence before the game, a handful of gas were chanting through it! Can never forget city singing the chant of " Your just a bunch of W**kers" sweeping around AG, it was fantastic, set the atmosphere up well for what was truely a memorable night.

Cant remember who the minute silence was for though? anybody?

Another time was when City were playing in the Freit Rover cup aria final against Hereford United. I was stewarding in front of the Williams stand. Everyone was waiting for the final whistle to blow. The crowd were on the side of the pitch getting ready to run on. A city fan decided to leg it down the bye line towards the Eastend so i gave chase to try & get him off the pitch. As i was running Brian Williams was running along side me with the ball. I gave up on the chase & told Brian to keep going. As he jogged back he gave me a wink & a smile. :D

Remember the game well.

There was a minute silence before the game, a handful of gas were chanting through it! Can never forget city singing the chant of " Your just a bunch of W**kers" sweeping around AG, it was fantastic, set the atmosphere up well for what was truely a memorable night.

Cant remember who the minute silence was for though? anybody?

Des Williams died.

Hundreds of memories,

Beating st. Mirren to win anglo scottish

being crushed v Liverpool 1977

Tom Ritchie fighting Mickey Droy

Tomato sauce wars in the open end

Carl Shutt crashing into the East End

Keith Fear

Chris Garland

The Big Cheese

Wrapping my car round a lamp post and leaving it there til after the game!!

The 'fun' in the park

old memories maybe but stuck in my mind forever

With our shiny new stadium on the horizon, it got me reminiscing about my past experiences at AG. Not necessarily particular games, but also events that stick in the memory.

I'll never forget my first game; Leeds United in ye olde firste division in the 70's. My old man took me into the enclosure in front of the Grandstand (that's the Williams for the benefit of the young 'uns). The fog was so bad you couldn't even see the other side of the ground and the game was abandonded. Didn't matter one bit to me - I was hooked.

I also remember Norman Hunter preparing to take a throw, and I put my arm through the railings and grabbed his shirt. He turned round and ruffled my hair & was my favourite player from that game (I can't remember who we were playing)

It didn't take long before I pestered my old man to take me into the East End. He took me and my two older brothers and carried three rickety stools through the turnstiles for us to stand on. He put them in front of a crash barrier right in the middle, behind the goal and stood protectively behind us. He taught us all the words to all the songs, on the condition we didn't repeat them in front of our mum!

As a teenager I started to go into the Park End with my mates, scarf tied round each wrist, so we could wind up the away fans.

I'll also never forget the first game I decided to sit in the Dolman, which happened to be the game against Millwall when all the seats got ripped up and thrown.

So, get your memories down on this thread and maybe we can bury it in a time capsule under the centre spot when the bulldozers move in.

There were a number of score draws in the East End, but I think only Birmingham managed to overrun it and stay put and that was before (and, possibly, the reason why) the East End was created. Quite a wake up call - '67/68? Even knicked my scarf the buggers.

Did Huddersfield, oddly, with a few Sags keep part of the centre block once? Think the Sags on one or two occasions did stake a partial claim to our territory. City always overran them on the old Tote though, although experienced one or two sticky moments - some of our youngsters don't realise it was a bit more even matched in the late 60's, early 70's.

Anyone else, a railing sitter during the early 70's? Fav perch was the right side block dividing rail (viewed from in the stand) two thirds up. Brilliant spot until some pil lock decided to start pushing backs when you hopped up to celebrate a goal and you were knocked down like a row of dominos.

As for matches, Liverpool 2-1, Man Utd 1-0, (?)Tottenham league cup semi , Pompey spring to mind as classics.

The 70's can never be repeated for the pure buzz of the rival fans and home end incursions. Mostly posturing, but hey, to take an end or drive others off yours was a real adrenalin rush - terror and excitement fuelled in equal measures. More terror away from home. My claim to fame, one of three East Enders who stood on the Grange End wooden terrace around 70-71 and didn't get chased across the Bob Bank.

Great times.

my 1st game at the gate v leicester 78 0-0 not a great game but that didn,t matter was just lovin the atmosphere, stood in the eastend but being a shortass couldnt really see so i sat on the wall with me legs dangling through the railings and got a clip round the ear from a copper for me troubles

It was actually Skeletor who missed the penalty which made the night even better!! That was the game when there was supposed to be a minutes silence before the game for Des Williams and some scumbag from North Bristol Tinkers FC shouted "better dead than red" to lots of laughter from the Blue Few. Mrs Williams was on the pitch in tears. To say that added spice to the evening is something of an understatement. I'll never forget it - Parkin fumbled a pea roller of a shot and Louie Donowa had his finest moment in a Bristol City shirt by heading in the winner. If you ever see Louie in a pub you should buy him a pint on the back of that goal alone!!

I'll always remember the Fulham game in 1982 - our first game after the Ashton Gate Eight ripped up their contracts. We had a team with an average age of about 17 playing that day and they played on pure adrenaline and got a 0-0 draw. I ended up playing against half of that day's team years later at Somerset County League level. If memory serves me correctly I think a certain Rob Newman made his debut that day.

There were a number of score draws in the East End, but I think only Birmingham managed to overrun it and stay put and that was before (and, possibly, the reason why) the East End was created. Quite a wake up call - '67/68? Even knicked my scarf the buggers.

Did Huddersfield, oddly, with a few Sags keep part of the centre block once? Think the Sags on one or two occasions did stake a partial claim to our territory. City always overran them on the old Tote though, although experienced one or two sticky moments - some of our youngsters don't realise it was a bit more even matched in the late 60's, early 70's.

Anyone else, a railing sitter during the early 70's? Fav perch was the right side block dividing rail (viewed from in the stand) two thirds up. Brilliant spot until some pil lock decided to start pushing backs when you hopped up to celebrate a goal and you were knocked down like a row of dominos.

As for matches, Liverpool 2-1, Man Utd 1-0, (?)Tottenham league cup semi , Pompey spring to mind as classics.

The 70's can never be repeated for the pure buzz of the rival fans and home end incursions. Mostly posturing, but hey, to take an end or drive others off yours was a real adrenalin rush - terror and excitement fuelled in equal measures. More terror away from home. My claim to fame, one of three East Enders who stood on the Grange End wooden terrace around 70-71 and didn't get chased across the Bob Bank.

Great times.

Yes, Brum in '67.Think we were taken a bit by surprise!

Don't remember H'field, but Pompey in the early 70's once gave it a mighty go.

Tote End, oh yes. Always pushed them back into that bus stop effort on the left.

Great days ,I can assure you (thank you Simon Day)

Yes, Brum in '67.Think we were taken a bit by surprise!

Don't remember H'field, but Pompey in the early 70's once gave it a mighty go.

Tote End, oh yes. Always pushed them back into that bus stop effort on the left.

Great days ,I can assure you (thank you Simon Day)

... a bit by surprise... I can remember joining the queue of several hundred brummies at the East End turnstiles ... they must have thought we were off our heads, a couple of lads with red and white scarfs wandering in amongst them with no fear whatsoever.

Talk about growing up fast!!!!

I think one of the joys of being a City fan from those days is that we've seen the Gate from numerous perspectives .. East End/Park End/Grandstand Paddock/ Dolman Block A then G and back to the spiritual home. From 40,000 plus to 3,500 from top of First (nearly) to bottom of 4th.

What a journey. Thanks for the memories AG.

City v Fulham 1975

City v Fulham 1975. City's last home match of the season and the week before Fulham were to face West Ham in The Cup Final.

Not sure exactly what could have brought it on, but the match was stopped after Fulham keeper Peter Mellor had a dart thrown at him from the East End. Looking from the Enclosure it seemed to land well past the penalty spot so must have been thrown with some force.

The police moved into the middle of the East End but their presence there was resisted by an already excitable crowd and a mass brawl broke out with fans surging around them and helmets flying into the air etc.

Remember hearing that 7 fans were arrested in the incident but as far as I know the dart thrower was never arrested or identified.

From memory the likes of Alan Mullery and the great Bobby Moore were there to witness the day's events.

This incident led directly to increased policing and surveillance of the central area of the East End as by the time we reassembled for the first match of the following ( promotion ) season, permanent walkways had been created either side of the middle to segregate it from the rest of the end and allow stewards and police to stand on each side of the "troublesome" middle block.

It was actually Skeletor who missed the penalty which made the night even better!! That was the game when there was supposed to be a minutes silence before the game for Des Williams and some scumbag from North Bristol Tinkers FC shouted "better dead than red" to lots of laughter from the Blue Few. Mrs Williams was on the pitch in tears. To say that added spice to the evening is something of an understatement. I'll never forget it - Parkin fumbled a pea roller of a shot and Louie Donowa had his finest moment in a Bristol City shirt by heading in the winner. If you ever see Louie in a pub you should buy him a pint on the back of that goal alone!!

I'll always remember the Fulham game in 1982 - our first game after the Ashton Gate Eight ripped up their contracts. We had a team with an average age of about 17 playing that day and they played on pure adrenaline and got a 0-0 draw. I ended up playing against half of that day's team years later at Somerset County League level. If memory serves me correctly I think a certain Rob Newman made his debut that day.

Same for me, it wasn't the result that mattered, but the fact that we still had a club to support.

My first match was the the 1-1 draw in 1964-65 season against Sheff Utd FA Cup 3rd round. List of early memories,

Promotion celebrations after we beat Oldham 2-0 to go up by 0.1 goal difference. first time on the pitch at AG

Atyeos last match when he was given a guard of honour by both City and Ipswich players.

Atyeo testimonal where John and Jack Charlton parade the World cup around the ground.

Mike Gibson arrival at the East End goal with the crowd chanting 1,2,3 as he jumped to tip the crossbar.

Ernie Hunt's spectacular free kick.

Being behind the dugout in the quarter final in 71 against Leicester when Alan Dicks best mate Ken Whimshurst was taking more stick than Lee Johnson has taken all season slots the winning goal to take City through to the semi final. Deadly silence and some wit shouts out Dicks I can see why pick him every week.

Bunking school to watch City beat Millwall 5-2 on a Wednesday afternoon during the power strikes.

The East End stampede as the back of the stand surged forward, you either got trampled or carried forward.

The Cup run when 28000 watched Revie Leeds side draw 1-1 and Shankly Liverpool side beat us 1-0

Portsmouth promotion night another great celebration on the pitch at AG.

Stoke match when Shilton clashed with Cheesley. Tragic because he could have been another Atyeo and play for England.

Norman Hunter best defender at Ag take out opposing forwards so clinically that the ref more often missed it.

The Leeds game was my first game as well. Stood at ground level with my nose up against the railings up at the Park End. Can anyone remember what year it was?

Started off in the middle of the East End, moved over to the corner of the East (Crackers Corner I think it was known as) then onto the Grandstand Enclosure before they put the seats in. Now back in the East End to enjoy the last few years of being able stand.

Favourite memory, coming back from 2 goals down against Hereford in the Leyland Daf Freight Rover Johnsons Paint Trophy to secure my first trip to Wembley.

Happy Days

same game was my first visit to Ashton Gate. Can't say I was hooked straight off, but still going 32 years later.

With our shiny new stadium on the horizon, it got me reminiscing about my past experiences at AG. Not necessarily particular games, but also events that stick in the memory.

I'll never forget my first game; Leeds United in ye olde firste division in the 70's. My old man took me into the enclosure in front of the Grandstand (that's the Williams for the benefit of the young 'uns). The fog was so bad you couldn't even see the other side of the ground and the game was abandonded. Didn't matter one bit to me - I was hooked.

I also remember Norman Hunter preparing to take a throw, and I put my arm through the railings and grabbed his shirt. He turned round and ruffled my hair & was my favourite player from that game (I can't remember who we were playing)

It didn't take long before I pestered my old man to take me into the East End. He took me and my two older brothers and carried three rickety stools through the turnstiles for us to stand on. He put them in front of a crash barrier right in the middle, behind the goal and stood protectively behind us. He taught us all the words to all the songs, on the condition we didn't repeat them in front of our mum!

As a teenager I started to go into the Park End with my mates, scarf tied round each wrist, so we could wind up the away fans.

I'll also never forget the first game I decided to sit in the Dolman, which happened to be the game against Millwall when all the seats got ripped up and thrown.

So, get your memories down on this thread and maybe we can bury it in a time capsule under the centre spot when the bulldozers move in.

My best memory is my first game at Ashton Gate, 5 of May 1984 beating Swindon (h) thank's to Howard Pritchard. Getting promoted from div IV. 24 hours on boat from Gothenburg. When I got home I even had one red and one white eye...

Archived