IGNORED

Ashton Gate Memories

Sir Colby-Tit

Ashton gate sounding like this before kick off

Hereford U (h) in the Freight Rover Trophy area final -86?

Steve Neville cooly scoring the winner.

Stupid Swede.

Or is it Stuart Pearce being the captain? Alan Walsh hitting the post in the semifinal of the League Cup..

Naming Pearce manager of your U21:s is pure stupidity. Forget -66, pass the ball..

Shame I missed the 70's and 80's ah well football will never be about that again.

Off the top of my head -

V Liverpool - Lights going out I was about six so found it amazing

V Everton - In the cup I think in 94 again they invaded the pitch and I remember a lot of trouble after the game

V Millwall - Lee Matthews debut scores a penalty late late on.

V Tranmere - That goal by Luke Wilkshire

V Rotherham - In the east end fantastic atmosphere

V Palace - Trundles goal

V Hartlepool as mentioned.

Many many more that I am bound to have forgotten.

loads of memories for me, here are a few

beating Chelsea 3 - 1 in the cup

beating Walsall last game of the 89/90 season with the multi pitch invasions

Donowa's goal against the gas

any game watching Dziekanowski

the Liverpool game when the lights went out

the playoff games against Hartlepool and Palace

:englandsmile4wf:

Hereford U (h) in the Freight Rover Trophy area final -86?

Steve Neville cooly scoring the winner.

Stupid Swede.

Or is it Stuart Pearce being the captain? Alan Walsh hitting the post in the semifinal of the League Cup..

Naming Pearce manager of your U21:s is pure stupidity. Forget -66, pass the ball..

Pearce in short shorts. :o

"I must re read post 28 and cease muddying my mind with salacious thoughts of women under the age of 46"

Write 100 times, in Dutch. :yes:

Questions for you Tommy, who was the City Captain shaking hands with Psycho, and who was doing the keepy uppy's just before kick off? :dunno:

Mine would have to be the Rovers game that has been mentioned before with Donowa scoring the winner. After all the years of not beating the scum, when the goal went in, all the frustration and hatred just poured out through every City fan in the ground. I was behind a elderly gentleman in the Williams, and at the top of his voice and spit pouring out with venom he sang his heart out, as did everyone else.

One thing I have to mention though, is that most of us mention our favorite memories down AG is when there was always mass trouble and how it got us all hooked going to the gate, obviously the quality games as well. Nowadays any trouble and they are knucledraggers and scum, yet this is what we all found fascinating in the 70's and 80's. This was part and parcel of the game. and as we all know, still carries on now but on a much smaller scale, and away from the ground.

My first game down the gate was agaist Sheffield Wednesday on a Tuesday night in I think 79, I was 5 years old and couldn't beleive the noise, the game ended 2-2, and I still remember a Wednesday fan sat behind me in the Grandstand shouting "Come on Wednesday", I tuuned to my old man, and at even the age of 5, saying to my old man, "He's in the wrong stand dad, in he" Sign of things to come for me !!

Mine would have to be the Rovers game that has been mentioned before with Donowa scoring the winner. After all the years of not beating the scum, when the goal went in, all the frustration and hatred just poured out through every City fan in the ground. I was behind a elderly gentleman in the Williams, and at the top of his voice and spit pouring out with venom he sang his heart out, as did everyone else.

One thing I have to mention though, is that most of us mention our favorite memories down AG is when there was always mass trouble and how it got us all hooked going to the gate, obviously the quality games as well. Nowadays any trouble and they are knucledraggers and scum, yet this is what we all found fascinating in the 70's and 80's. This was part and parcel of the game. and as we all know, still carries on now but on a much smaller scale, and away from the ground.

My first game down the gate was agaist Sheffield Wednesday on a Tuesday night in I think 79, I was 5 years old and couldn't beleive the noise, the game ended 2-2, and I still remember a Wednesday fan sat behind me in the Grandstand shouting "Come on Wednesday", I tuuned to my old man, and at even the age of 5, saying to my old man, "He's in the wrong stand dad, in he" Sign of things to come for me !!

Hoolaganism? :disapointed2se:

Blimey where do you start on this one?

Browns run and Thorpes Goal when we beat the sags 3-2 on Red&White Night two days before Christmas.

Getting wet through when we lost 1-0 to Forest ( when they were famous) just misssing on Wemley 1989.

Mickey Bell scoreing a free kick (take your pick)

Seeing Big John score on my first visit to the Gate......The memories are endless, there will be tears shed when we Play are

last game at the Gate, so bring your water wings.

1. A rain soaked Sunday afternoon stood in the open end watching the league cup semi final against Forest.

2. Versus Liverpool when the lights went off

3. Beating Chelsea in the FA cup and watching them demolish the turnstyles as we walked out of the dolman

4. Standing in the east end in the 70's on a home made stool my old man made for me

5. Ray Atteveld scoring that wonder... OG on his home debut

6. Play off final against Hartlepool... the first time we felt the dolman stand moving!

7. The Rovers players being chased off the pitch following a sky tv game

8. Donaowa's goal against the gas

9. Ian Bairds v sign at the crowd!

10. Mickey Bells double free kick

11. The 3 pigs fighting

12. Sam Masons dodgy half time comparing (sp?)

13. The bugler

14. The atyeo band.

15. Cardiff fans turning up late for the game and they all ran to the front and jump on the fencing... open end days

16. Jackis sublime skills

17. Cold Tuesdy nights sat in a near empty dolman stand watching the Anglo Italian cup

18. The elation of promotions

19. The all too familiar feeling of defeat.

... a bit by surprise... I can remember joining the queue of several hundred brummies at the East End turnstiles ... they must have thought we were off our heads, a couple of lads with red and white scarfs wandering in amongst them with no fear whatsoever.

Talk about growing up fast!!!!

I think one of the joys of being a City fan from those days is that we've seen the Gate from numerous perspectives .. East End/Park End/Grandstand Paddock/ Dolman Block A then G and back to the spiritual home. From 40,000 plus to 3,500 from top of First (nearly) to bottom of 4th.

What a journey. Thanks for the memories AG.

Thats Interesting re the Brum game, My old man told me that in the late sixties he went up to St andrews and stood on the Tilton? Road end and stayed there all game no problem, the following season they tried the same trick, only taking end's had caught on up there too, and they got done off there as soon as they stepped on!! circa 67'

ps - great posts lads keep it up

My best memories of the gate are, Chelsea FA CUP, Walsall 89-90, Taylor hattrick v Crewe, Liverpool FA Cup, Hartlepool in the play offs, Palace play offs and Rotherham last game of the season. Happy Days!

have mentioned this before but no one seems to remmember him, the guy who used to play the bugle in a and b block in the dolman. classic memory him playin the last post as we beat the gas at home and they trudged off and we were on the way to the playoffs, makes me laugh and cry at the same time classic ag moment.

Quality

n1519775573_30098868_1501.jpg

In less recent times...

Not having to buy a ticket.

Getting in the Eastend and seeing all the people we didn't know but had nicknames for.

"**** 'em up, Get into 'em."

The open air gents.

Beating Cardiff 5-1 in the League Cup and driving confidently out through the trouble afterwards, only to realise I was in a company car from our Cardiff office that had Welsh dragons on the number plate.

Our first game of the season in the 92/93 season with Jacki against Portsmouth, a 3-3 draw and people running over from the Williams to get involved with the trouble in the Dolman. I particularly recall a bloke cartwheeling down the steps of the Dolman in his enthusiasm to get to the Portsmouth lads who'd been allowed into the stand, only to reappear a bit dazed at the bottom and carry on fighting.

An overhead kick by Jacki about 20 feet in the air, possibly more.

Jacki's warm up where he just stood in front of the Eastend and did the most astonishing tricks.

Seeing Gus Caesar turn up and thinking 'He must be good, I've heard of him'. Got that one wrong.

Ray Atteveld. See above.

David James baring his arse when he was with Watford, after suggestions from the Eastend that he possibly hired it out in return for cash.

Clive Allen playing for West Ham and handing our arses to us on a plate in a first half where they looked like world beaters and the PA played "Why?" by Annie Lennox during the interval.

Parading that purple and green kit before the final game of the season, much to everyone's bemusement.

That'll do for now.

My dad used to take me and my brother down in the early 60's - I was about 10. We used to hang on to the railings by the tunnel. I can still smell the embrocation that the players put on their legs.

John Atyeo's testimonial v Leeds and seeing the World Cup.

The horrible sound all round the ground when Gerry Sharpe broke his leg

Jantzen Derrick - England quality when he felt like it.

Ray Cashleys goal - v Hull I think - on a rainy windswept Tuesday night.

Keith Fear's hat trick in the afternoon match v Millwall during the power strikes in the 70's.

Clive Whitehead leaving international full backs sat on their asses in the old First Division before he was converted into a defender.

and many,many more

I remember that, but even with that level of provocation they didn't seem too bothered. The whole afternoon was a bit half hearted, with grins on both sides.

The bit I remember best was one particularly fat Cardiff fan was sat on top of the wall and the City fans were singing, "Humpty, Dumpty sat on the wall" and both City and Cardiff fans were laughing their heads off.

It was like a mutual admiration day, an alternative universe, really really odd.

Strange times, you could walk down the gangway right next to them and nothing happened, so me and a mate went and stood right in the middle of them after going out for a pee, nothing happened again, mind you we didn't say much.

Yes you were in there, right on the back set of terracing, thinking you'd taken it, singing, dancing.....Then with about five mins to kick off the biggest mob of City lads I'd seen up to that time swept in, they just kept coming and coming!

I was stood in front of your lot, jeez your faces were a picture! The cops surrounded you and stayed there ALL game, saying "You wanted in...you stay in!" CLASSIC

Witnessed it, was there, they were mouthy whilst being protected.

The Leeds game was my first game as well. Stood at ground level with my nose up against the railings up at the Park End. Can anyone remember what year it was?

Started off in the middle of the East End, moved over to the corner of the East (Crackers Corner I think it was known as) then onto the Grandstand Enclosure before they put the seats in. Now back in the East End to enjoy the last few years of being able stand.

Favourite memory, coming back from 2 goals down against Hereford in the Leyland Daf Freight Rover Johnsons Paint Trophy to secure my first trip to Wembley.

Happy Days

Leeds game the first for me too.

Reminds me of the importance of someone making the effort to take a young lad to a football match for the first time. Once there, you're hooked, well at least back in those days you were.

Great reading all this stuff. I remember when Bowyers sponsored the game and drove round the pitch slinging pork pies into the stands, only for half as many pork pies to re-emerge when Shilton came out for the second half.

East End surges.

Looking across at the back of the away end from the Park End and realising that most Chelsea fans weren't even here to watch the football.

Happy days

Stupid memory as it should have been beating Liverpool in front of a massive crowd at Ashton Gate (39 000 if I remember) but the picture that sticks in my mind was against Leeds in about 1978. There was a slight mist at the start of the match but within about 10 minutes of the start you could barely see the Dolman from the Park end.

All I remember was a dirty great roar and Tom Ritchie appearing out of the fog, arms aloft and the Park end erupting! The game was abandoned at half time as you could barely see your hand in front of your face.

Imagine the weather that day and what Sky TV would say. It was the worst fog I have ever seen!

Last summer I was in Bristol and decided to stop by the ground on a non-match day. I asked the receptionist if I could have a look around, assuming she would say no. She told me no problem and let me wander around inside for about a quarter hour, including on the edge of the pitch. It was a magical feeling having the ground to myself and I even got to meet a few of the players as they were milling about outside. A dream come true, and though not match related my favorite memory. She'll never know how she made this Yank's summer!

Can't see ol' Buster Footman mentioned anywhere..

Had to be the most appropriately named physio in Football :noexpression: Given his stature, the speed and enthusiasm in which the magic spongue was delivered always rose a wry smile, more memorable was his main party piece ofcourse; the image of him consistently demonstarating his un-natural ability of surviving sub-zero temperatures in just a single t-shirt is also sadly but affectionately confined to the Ashton Gate memory vault.

To Buster!! A true physio of The People :noexpression:

re: this. Once randomly got chatting to a veteran Stokie, said he'd never seen more grown men crying the day they left the Victoria Ground. He'd never stepped foot in the ''new souless craphole''.

Hoolaganism? :disapointed2se:

I ain't going to lie to you, yes I was a massive part of that scene for twenty years, and had some of the best and funniest times of my life, but it all ended 7 years ago when my boy was born. What I'm gettin at is that most of the posts on here relate to some sort of hooliganism as part of their fondest memories of AG, and yet alot of people still have ago at the young uns(and some of our older folk) for doing it now.

Not to mention the Gloucestershire cup match that year as well which we won 3-2 so thats seven matches against the saggie ones in 1991! Ouch!

Anyone want to take a guess at the team we've played more than any other in the last 20 years??? I know the answer, wanna see if other people can guess too!!

Love nostalgia, this thread brings back so many memories. It's difficult to know where to start.

Unfortunately I missed out on the 70's era - not because it was before I was born, I was young but still remember City's golden age fondly. But my Dad was an egg-chaser fan, and never had any interest in taking me to the football, and I wasn't old enough to go alone. Had to wait until the early eighties until I went to my first game, with a mate. Sat in the Dolman, and we won 3-0, can't remember who against.

Best memory ever in all that time since HAS to be this year's play-off semi against Palace. The occasion, and what was at stake, pushes it beyond all others since I've been an active supporter. It was a cauldron in there that night, and I've never heard noise down there like it. It was also my birthday! So for me it will always be a special night, and a victory that will live long in the memory.

Before that, there are many that number amongst those already mentioned: the big cup matches, Liverpool, Chelsea, Forest etc, and play-offs, ups and downs. But the overall (second) best memory, was Donawa, Gas, 1-0.

By the time that game was winding down to a thoroughly disappointing 0-0 result - yet another year where we couldn't get one over on the scummers, and the prospect of yet more gas abuse at work the next day, I had milled over toward the central East End egress, in preparation for a prompt departure - not to leave before the final whistle mind but to get ahead of the traffic, AG was packed that night. There I stood, on tip toe, the gash singing loud and proud in the away end beyond, then up pops Louie. What a moment. Pandemonium. The best feeling ever. I swear to God I floated home.

Also:

-beating Walsall 4-0 on last day of the season, 1990. We were promoted to Div 2. Cue vast pitch invasion.

-Milne brace, knocking Palace out of the cup. Great night.

-22 min Bob Taylor hatrick against Huddersfield, ran out 6-1.

Random recollections:

-In a similar flavour to previous posts, a few incidents which are in hindsight quite amusing. Final game of season '89. Beat Sheff Utd 2-0, again on my birthday, and even though they lost the game, just before final whistle the traveling hoards, obviously in party mood, somehow broke through the fencing and hundreds of their fans swarmed across the pitch. To my dismay I witnessed The East End retreat before the invaders. I can't remember if any got over the railings and actually into the EE, but some of the stout EE defenders were evidently absent that day. ANyone else remember that? I'm sure I've got the right game.

-Numerous Millwall eruptions. A milk float getting tipped in the street after one such encounter, and the milk bottle fight that ensued. I legged it!

-A ton of the old chants we never hear any more!

Bad memories (as an aside)

-The East End being turned over to away fans, and seeing the truly obscene sight of the gas filling the sacred ground for that infamous derby in '96. Loing 2-0 and their celebration is a pain that still lingers.

-Going down 1-6 against Wolves. The humiliation of it! Lenartsson you nobber.

-That day I dare not utter. Trumpton 1990. I will say no more.

Tom Ritchie hat-rick vs York 75-76 4-0 win?

My grandad forgetting his season ticket on that night vs Portsmouth, he was still allowed in!

Jimmy Mann beating Peter Shilton from 45 yards

Gary Collier,with leg in plaster, sitting in my Dad's season ticket seat, and telling him to sit elsewhere. I can picture Collier looking back now ( I was only about 8) quite sheepishly, after my Dad had politely told him, it was his seat!

Louie , Louie, Louie Donowa's goal vs Sags

Beating Coventry I think 5-0 on a Boxing Day, many years ago

0-0 at half time, fogged off against Leeds

............and many many more

1. A rain soaked Sunday afternoon stood in the open end watching the league cup semi final against Forest.

2. Versus Liverpool when the lights went off

3. Beating Chelsea in the FA cup and watching them demolish the turnstyles as we walked out of the dolman

4. Standing in the east end in the 70's on a home made stool my old man made for me

5. Ray Atteveld scoring that wonder... OG on his home debut

6. Play off final against Hartlepool... the first time we felt the dolman stand moving!

7. The Rovers players being chased off the pitch following a sky tv game

8. Donaowa's goal against the gas

9. Ian Bairds v sign at the crowd!

10. Mickey Bells double free kick

11. The 3 pigs fighting

12. Sam Masons dodgy half time comparing (sp?)

13. The bugler

14. The atyeo band.

15. Cardiff fans turning up late for the game and they all ran to the front and jump on the fencing... open end days

16. Jackis sublime skills

17. Cold Tuesdy nights sat in a near empty dolman stand watching the Anglo Italian cup

18. The elation of promotions

19. The all too familiar feeling of defeat.

Matt,

20. What about Gus Caesar ????

Here goes....

1. Watching Norman Hunter at the age of 9 - in the open end on the fences !

2. Seeing Glyn Riley on the east end fence celebrating !

3. The Walshy Shuffle !

4. Norman is our leader (old bloke in the middle of the East End !

5. Watching City Play Hull (on a very water-logged pitch)

6. The Terraces !

7. Worth a mention - seeing Jinxy having a pop at Holloway on the pitch (Rovers players running incident)

Plus the one's you have already mentioned

CANT FORGET

Gordon Owen's Penalty Misses eh !

Matt,

20. What about Gus Caesar ????

Here goes....

1. Watching Norman Hunter at the age of 9 - in the open end on the fences !

2. Seeing Glyn Riley on the east end fence celebrating !

3. The Walshy Shuffle !

4. Norman is our leader (old bloke in the middle of the East End !

5. Watching City Play Hull (on a very water-logged pitch)

6. The Terraces !

7. Worth a mention - seeing Jinxy having a pop at Holloway on the pitch (Rovers players running incident)

Plus the one's you have already mentioned

CANT FORGET

Gordon Owen's Penalty Misses eh !

As everyone has said there are too many to mention but I must add these...

What about

John Mcphail - the man who always passed back to our Keeps...

The Enclosure - Copper hats being thrown before kick off !

Osman being booed after scoring a header from a corner !

John Bailey's hair !

Psycho !

and probably the best game ever in my lifetime which must be mentioned again.....

Louie Donowa - what a GOAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially when moments before the goal - Rovers fans were singing very loudly "will you ever beat the gas"

What a moment...

Archived