IGNORED

The Problem

Club and Country

always read the forum, never post as it seems pointless as any decent thread gets ruined by bickering

anyway, this team last season was based on hardwork, good team spirit, and generally just working so hard for themselves and each other

now for me the problem is simple

they have all, yes ALL, got far too big for there boots, you only have to look at the car park and compare it to only two years ago, now I'm not knocking they want nice cars

just saying maybe they have forgot they are a pretty average team, who did so well by working so hard and chasing every ball last season

cue abuse

always read the forum, never post as it seems pointless as any decent thread gets ruined by bickering

anyway, this team last season was based on hardwork, good team spirit, and generally just working so hard for themselves and each other

now for me the problem is simple

they have all, yes ALL, got far too big for there boots, you only have to look at the car park and compare it to only two years ago, now I'm not knocking they want nice cars

just saying maybe they have forgot they are a pretty average team, who did so well by working so hard and chasing every ball last season

cue abuse

You can't bame the players for getting a good deal. Don't forget it isn't only the players that have done nicely, GJ has pocketed a very nice 5yr, yes 5yr, contract and it's up to him to pick and motivate the players and also maintain team spirit. So is HE doing it?.

Easy accusation to make. For what it's worth I would speculate the problem is in two areas. If there is such a thing as second season syndrome it may be that games that were big last season (because they were new) now seem routine and that affects motivation (albeit unconsciously). Second, and more important, the players have lost confidence. When that happens players can feel heavy legged and find it harder to get going and the fear of making mistakes actually leads to more. The England team in recent years is a good example. The best a manager can do is to try and create an atmosphere where players are more likely to feel confident and motivated, but ultimately it is down to then to get through it. If it gets to the point where the manager thinks things are not going to change then he has to move players on. We'll know when January comes I suspect. The crowd can help of course, as the East End and Atyeo did last night I thought.

I think youll find most of their cars (luxury) are sponsors cars. I think youll find there are no big time charlies at Ashton Gate now. GJ got rid. (inc Nick Carle being one.)

You don't see em prancing around in the news any more clubbing it drunk etc etc. (so thats good yeah)

But saying that it would be nice to sign 3 or 4 of em from the prem or seria A or La Liga till end of season....:laugh:.....

This is getting silly now. People need to accept that this season we are average or at least until january we are.....

Theres no shame in being average for one season - personally I'm delighted. 2nd season in the championship and we don't look like relegation candidates.

Just because we are average does not mean that the players are suddenly getting to big for there boots or whatever. People should just enjoy being a championship club, with a good manager who in time will in time may take us up to the prem.

This is getting silly now. People need to accept that this season we are average or at least until january we are.....

Theres no shame in being average for one season - personally I'm delighted. 2nd season in the championship and we don't look like relegation candidates.

Just because we are average does not mean that the players are suddenly getting to big for there boots or whatever. People should just enjoy being a championship club, with a good manager who in time will in time may take us up to the prem.

I'm getting a little worried at the moment, Last nights game had relegation battle all over it!

Too many players are currently below average. Hence we are struggling!

I'm getting a little worried at the moment, Last nights game had relegation battle all over it!

Also I fear that the Management seems below average at the moment as well.With so many p[oints being lost at home and against teams at the lower end of the table then relegation battle could be on the way unless we get the team settled and find some form.As on another post, last season we had a settled team but this season it changes by the week.

There is a lack of quality in the team, and in our all round play at the moment.

If we're not to challenge at the top then a relegation scrap may indeed be on the cards.

City don't do mundane mid table seasons.

The most spot on post Ive read in months!

The problem seems to me to be nothing to do with motivation or attitude or work ethic. I think it's that we haven't picked a consistent XI and settled into a style of play. We switch selections, formations and styles too often for good partnerships and confidence to develop. One minute we're playing direct balls up to a lone striker with no width and the midfield packed, the next we're trying to play total football with four strikers on the pitch. We also didn't strengthen sufficiently in the summer, we are short a top quality central midfielder, a left back and our right wingers so far have proved pretty ineffective.

I put it down to confidence,last night a lot of passes were attempted but wren't coming off,I also feel that 1-1 was a fair result as I think both teams missed a few chances and we also had a goal disallowed in the first half.

I agree that at the moment we are easy to defend against and don't get enough crosses into the box.

Never mind though,I'm ok with our league position and always try to make the most of every game we play

Big shout, really hope you are right and we don't end up in a relegation battle. As much as I hate to say it, unless we get a consistent side (this means establishing a strong starting 11) all working hard for each other with a big improvement on the technical side of our game e.g movement, passing, crossing and finishing, we could be in trouble.

Things can change very quickly at this level and unless everyone involved with the club isn't mindful of this we could end up losing all of the last two seasons hard work. In my opinion the next two or three games are vital for us, we need to set the tone ASAP. We have the players to fight back strong, but the likes of Noble, Trundle and Maynard need to be given the opportunity to gel together. If this happens I think the quality of our football will see us rise back up the table. If not- I'm a little worried.

Big shout, really hope you are right and we don't end up in a relegation battle. As much as I hate to say it, unless we get a consistent side (this means establishing a strong starting 11) all working hard for each other with a big improvement on the technical side of our game e.g movement, passing, crossing and finishing, we could be in trouble.

Things can change very quickly at this level and unless everyone involved with the club isn't mindful of this we could end up losing all of the last two seasons hard work. In my opinion the next two or three games are vital for us, we need to set the tone ASAP. We have the players to fight back strong, but the likes of Noble, Trundle and Maynard need to be given the opportunity to gel together. If this happens I think the quality of our football will see us rise back up the table. If not- I'm a little worried.

This is where the fans are important. Getting on the players back aint helping - as shown by our home form. jeering of MM & LJ will only put them under more pressure and damage there confidence. The team is low on confidence at the moment and any worse and we could end up in a relegation battle, as you say.

Guest Red Cell
The problem seems to me to be nothing to do with motivation or attitude or work ethic. I think it's that we haven't picked a consistent XI and settled into a style of play. We switch selections, formations and styles too often for good partnerships and confidence to develop. One minute we're playing direct balls up to a lone striker with no width and the midfield packed, the next we're trying to play total football with four strikers on the pitch. We also didn't strengthen sufficiently in the summer, we are short a top quality central midfielder, a left back and our right wingers so far have proved pretty ineffective.

I agree with all of this completely and unfortunately it is all down to one man. GJ is nowhere near as clear in his thinking and tactics as he needs to be. At the moment we're holding on by our fingertips, if the away form drops off we will be in deep s**t and sadly at the moment i wouldn't bet against that happening. GJ needs to find his feet quickly, the wave of euphoria around the promotion and the accompanying confidence within the squad has well and truly crashed. For me, the supporters are the only ones who are still performing at the required level. I hope he turns the corner sooner rather later because i like the man but he needs to step up and arrest what is looking like a gradual decline that could gain pace.

On a side note Marvin has splashed the cash on an Audi S5 but does he realise that his personalised plate is M4 VRN. Surely M4 RVN would have been the way to go, ah well I suppose there not the brightest individuals footballers.

I quite fancy being a "Big Time Charlie". I think I may change my name by deed poll to C543 JWX.

I agree with all of this completely and unfortunately it is all down to one man. GJ is nowhere near as clear in his thinking and tactics as he needs to be. At the moment we're holding on by our fingertips, if the away form drops off we will be in deep s**t and sadly at the moment i wouldn't bet against that happening. GJ needs to find his feet quickly, the wave of euphoria around the promotion and the accompanying confidence within the squad has well and truly crashed. For me, the supporters are the only ones who are still performing at the required level. I hope he turns the corner sooner rather later because i like the man but he needs to step up and arrest what is looking like a gradual decline that could gain pace.

100% agree. Seems to me that the only time GJ is not stubborn is when it comes down to sticking with a favoured system or style of play. It's very hard to second guess whether City will play it long, hitting Adebola upfront or decide to play it nice and attractive with lots of pass and move (Southampton away) at the moment.

In my opinion a truly sucessful manager has a clear defined style and system he likes playing, Wenger, Fergie, Capello etc... you name one and they all have a fully developed football philosophy in mind when they send their teams out to play. I fear for us unless we can get a settled team and style of play in place over the next few weeks.

This season's performances show how far the club has come recently. Two years ago we were all saying staying up would be the priority; last year was so far beyond our ecxpectations that this season we are disappointed with mid table mediocirity.

So lets accept mediocrity and an awful home record this season. If our away form slips, then we are in a relegation dog fight.

I say lets fight to reastablish the form that took us so near to automatic promotion last season.

Hopefully january will see a shake up and some new faces, lets hope Gary can work the loan system a little more successfully than in previous seasons.

So lets accept mediocrity and an awful home record this season. If our away form slips, then we are in a relegation dog fight.

I say lets fight to reastablish the form that took us so near to automatic promotion last season.

Hopefully january will see a shake up and some new faces, lets hope Gary can work the loan system a little more successfully than in previous seasons.

Yes, why not accept it? in order to progress long term? Having seen Brum and reading, we are a long way from them realistically and Wolves are better.

We are behind those teams and prem teams and to get to that level its going to take a while.

A few decent signings may have a positive effect, but if we are still not quite good enough, then mid-table is not a bad show for our 2nd season in this division

This is where the fans are important. Getting on the players back aint helping - as shown by our home form. jeering of MM & LJ will only put them under more pressure and damage there confidence. The team is low on confidence at the moment and any worse and we could end up in a relegation battle, as you say.
:clapping: Riaz I agree with you, have posted the same thing! It is embarrassing and stupid.

This season's performances show how far the club has come recently. Two years ago we were all saying staying up would be the priority; last year was so far beyond our ecxpectations that this season we are disappointed with mid table mediocirity.

For me the reason we are mid table is down to the fact that this league bar Brum, Wolves and reading is very poor,only 5 points from 6th to 16th , 2 wins could propel us up towards the playoff, but considering we haven't won at home for nigh on 6 weeks whilst playing two of the bottom four at home doesn't exactly feel me with confidence,yes our away form is good, but home form is relagation form.

I would be happy with midtable mediocrity, but feel at the moment we are in somewhat a false posistion and unless thing improve soon we will be in for a long cold winter.

Yes, why not accept it? in order to progress long term? Having seen Brum and reading, we are a long way from them realistically and Wolves are better.

We are behind those teams and prem teams and to get to that level its going to take a while.

A few decent signings may have a positive effect, but if we are still not quite good enough, then mid-table is not a bad show for our 2nd season in this division

If we end up mid table (with no danger of going down) then that's all I expect with the club at present.

However, our form lately isn't that of a mid table team is it ? - we have to start winning home games against moderate opposition.

The whole club is responsible - GJ more than anyone else, so who's to say that he's not finding it difficult to operate again at this level like some of the players?

If so, then we should be content to hang on in there in the short term because he's going nowhere and we therefore need him to kick on again .

Archived