IGNORED

Players From Scotland

gaz897

Where a player comes from matters not at all if they're good enough. We've had plenty of bad English players.

But of the ones we have bought in the last few years they've all been really bad. Thats all my point is. They're not good enough are they?

The standard in the SPL is way below the PL which why they rarely do well in Europe. In fact Celtic have the worst record in the Champions League away games in recent times. Played 18 lost 17....The Scottish National team are pretty average as well.

Most SPL sides other than the Old Firm have plenty of Scots in their squads and the simple truth is that many of them find the step up into the PL or CCC too big a step. Many of them just ain't good enough players.

the scottish league is a utter waste of time

same old sh*t

Rangers and Celtic are the only two teams in that league basically

always come 1st n 2nd

if you're going to buy a scottish player get it from either one of them two

not all this Hearts and Hibs rubbish :disapointed2se:

My thought entirely.

Gerry Gow was our greatest ever midfielder and came to City with no experience at 16/17 then there's Tom Ritchie!

Ah yes you've got me. A recent transfer of modern times. Also ignoring the fact that he was a club apprentice and we didn't buy him from Scotland. How many ''Gerry Gow's'' can you see playing out side the old firm? :disapointed2se:

Think its a bit stupid not to sign anyone from Scotland there's clearly some good players their.

The likes Of Ross Mccormack, Jason Scotland, Mark Viduka, Chris Iwelumo etc have came from Scotland and done well in England.

The other positive would be their normally a lot cheaper than English players, who are often very overpriced.

Ah yes you've got me. A recent transfer of modern times. Also ignoring the fact that he was a club apprentice and we didn't buy him from Scotland. How many ''Gerry Gow's'' can you see playing out side the old firm? :disapointed2se:

A recent transfer of modern times! Why would it matter if their good enough?

Mark Gavin at his peak was joy to watch and came from Hearts and then there was Gerry Sweeney who came from Morton.

Think its a bit stupid not to sign anyone from Scotland there's clearly some good players their.

The likes Of Ross Mccormack, Jason Scotland, Mark Viduka, Chris Iwelumo etc have came from Scotland and done well in England.

The other positive would be their normally a lot cheaper than English players, who are often very overpriced.

Chris Ewelumo has been in England virtually all his professional career. Jason Scotland is from Trinidad and Tobago and Mark Viduka came from the old firm.

rubbish examples. Still not convinced. I'm sure there are people out here just to try and prove you wrong. Not actually agree that we should be looking at players close to home rather than poor players in a very poor league.

A recent transfer of modern times! Why would it matter if their good enough?

Mark Gavin at his peak was joy to watch and came from Hearts and then there was Gerry Sweeney who came from Morton.

Your right, I though Mark Gavin was an amazing player. Loved to watch him. Still not that recent though. Scottish footballers were a lot better during that period. How many Scots are currently playing in the prem? A count a few weeks ago revealed 3 players in the whole fixture list. Craig Gordon, Alan Hutton and Darren Fletcher. I really can't see why we'd want to go down the route of buying from up there with the catchment area localy.

Your right, I though Mark Gavin was an amazing player. Loved to watch him. Still not that recent though. Scottish footballers were a lot better during that period. How many Scots are currently playing in the prem? A count a few weeks ago revealed 3 players in the whole fixture list. Craig Gordon, Alan Hutton and Darren Fletcher. I really can't see why we'd want to go down the route of buying from up there with the catchment area localy.

Whats recent got to do with it if they are good enough or have potential?

Four of Bristol City's 1976 promotion team were Scottish two of which came from Morton, one from non league Scottish football and one had not played before at senior level.

Chris Ewelumo has been in England virtually all his professional career. Jason Scotland is from Trinidad and Tobago and Mark Viduka came from the old firm.

rubbish examples. Still not convinced. I'm sure there are people out here just to try and prove you wrong. Not actually agree that we should be looking at players close to home rather than poor players in a very poor league.

Your topic says players from Scotland Chris Iwelumo, Jason Scotland and Marc Viduka all came from Scottish clubs to England. Theirs lots of examples of other players coming from Scotland and doing well those were just a few off the top of my head.

I respect your opinion an can see why you might think this but think its slightly OTT. Do you not think English players are overpriced? Too get a real top English player for this level in January your going to have to pay a good few million an even then there's no garuntee they will reproduce the form they showed at their previous club.

Whats recent got to do with it if they are good enough or have potential?

Four of Bristol City's 1976 promotion team were Scottish two of which came from Morton, one from non league Scottish football and one had not played before at senior level.

Because we're not living in the past? Lets go for someone from Morton then in January! :winner_third_h4h:

Thats my argument mate. The fact that they had a good standard of football in the 70-80s. In case you haven't realised football has changed a lot since then. the standard of players are no longer being produced in such numbers.

James McFadden, Noel Hunt and Callum Davidson all came from the SPL and play for sides that are currently above us in The Championship.

There are good buys and bad buys in Scotland, but the lower wages up there are the attraction for us, I'm sure.

Whether we could sign enough quality players from the lower leagues down here is at best, a debatable argument for me, I'd say we could in the defensive positions, with the likes of Jamie McCombe but not at the sharp end.

Your topic says players from Scotland Chris Iwelumo, Jason Scotland and Marc Viduka all came from Scottish clubs to England. Theirs lots of examples of other players coming from Scotland and doing well those were just a few off the top of my head.

I respect your opinion an can see why you might think this but think its slightly OTT. Do you not think English players are overpriced? Too get a real top English player for this level in January your going to have to pay a good few million an even then there's no garuntee they will reproduce the form they showed at their previous club.

Maybee I am being slightly OTT on the subject which I'm just using to state that I don't think its a good idea shopping around up there. Good point well presented. No one has mentioned Ralph Milne yet? :noexpression:

Its all well and good saying lets buy players from England but finacially we simply cant afford to keep splashing out millions on players that might not nesscarily be better than a Scottish player.

Look at Maynard he isnt even proven at this level and cost over 2 mill, as a club we havnt got that sort of money to keep risking on english talent. Maynard IMO was a one off and players from countrys like Scotland our the cheaper option and in a lot of cases they do well in england, its only beacuse we have had a few bad ones you have even mentioned this. Lee Johnson can hardly be classsed as a Scotish player as he only ever made one apparence and in fact wasnt even good enough for the SPL! Ill give you Sproule he has been poor consdiering all the hype he had at Hibs, Webster is a sick note and again was a poor signing (i still think if he would have been fit he could have been a good player probably better than Mccombe) we just seem to be unlucky when it comes to sighning good Scottish players, for you to say we should never buy a player from the SPL again is IMHO ridiculous.

There are some very good players in Scotland that I'm sure could cut it in the championship, Andrew Driver at hearts is a good player and has made a few England u21 apprences, Steven Fletcher at hibs is very good and is sure to move to England soon, there are others in the SPL that would adapt and do well in England. There are a lot of fringe players at the old firm clubs that cant seem to get a game, Demarcus Beaseley would be a good shout he is very pacey and can play on the right wing also.

I just think your intiall statement of '' we shouldnt buy from the SPL'' has only come about beacuse we have had a few bad ones to say this as a general rule of thumb regarding all SPL players is very naive.

the scottish league is a utter waste of time

same old sh*t

Rangers and Celtic are the only two teams in that league basically

always come 1st n 2nd

if you're going to buy a scottish player get it from either one of them two

not all this Hearts and Hibs rubbish :disapointed2se:

Hearts and Hibs rubbish would probably thrash us.

Archived