IGNORED

We Must Improve The Squad

mightyreds89

GJ has at last admitted the squad is not good enough, so for me now we just need to concentrate on who should stay or go between now and January and what araeas we need to progress/buy in? Hopefully between now and Jan we can pcik up 6 points which would ensure we are not right in it as January starts.

Players to retain (Good enough for the championship)

Weale

Basso

McCallister (Cover needed)

Carey

McCombe (only just and only as cover)

Fontaine

Elliott

McIndoe (If on form and not being tucked in like he is being asked to do)

Noble

Williams (only just still don't think we have seen enough to be 100%, give him until summer)

Trundle

Maynard

Akinde

Retain players who we should consider bids for if they come in

Basso (Anything over 750-1m I would consider, and use Weale for rest of season)

Elliott ( Anything over simialr amounts to Basso, was great last season but was this a one season wonder?)

McIndoe (Like him as player but is not commited enough in difficult times, is he a team player, anything over £500k consider)

Trundle (I want him to succed and give the chance think he would, but not getting any younger and clearly GJ does not rate anyhting over 500k)

Players who for me are not good enough

B.Wilson ( Has no best position, poor positonal play, not great at heading and light weight in the tackle)

Webster (Taxi back to Scotland)

Sproule (Not good enough for this league by some distance)

Johnson ( Probably just good enough to stay and as cover but cant help but thinking GJ job would be easier wothout him about, player unrest? and fans giving him a hard time which is a shame)

Skuse (As much as I like Skuse and he is a local lad not good enough for Championship football week in week out)

Dele (Not getting any younger, decent at what he does due to effort, but does not score enough goals and does not always use his size as well as he should do, and since he has come along his style of play has meant we have changed our game plan to suit him)

John (Again to old, not what we need, high wages and if the rumour of £1m is true then thsi club would be mad to even consider this)

Brooker (If he can stay fit our best striker but I just do not see him player 30-40 games a season ever again, can he stay fit long enough for usa to get him t move on?

For me we need a right back/righ sided player Mark Yeates of Colchester, Boyd of Peterbourgh look like options as does Scott Sinclair who can play both wings.

In centre midfield we need a player in the mould of Rowlands of QPR (not possible i know), but someone similar in terms of the game they play maybe Liam Miller or Sunderland?, think we also need cover down the left side, still think we should have took a punt on Ross Wallace who is at Preston last summer can play full back or left mid.

Up front if we could grab Lita for 500-750k he creates his own goals so would go some way to helping us solve the lack of creativity option, and also I think a cheeky bid for Tyson would be a shout he was great at the gate for them. This would give us these 2 plus Trundle and Maynard 4 CCC strikers in my eyes.

Tragets for me should be

Yeates (Colchester) £350k

Boyd (Posh) 500k

Sinclair (Chelsea) Loan

Lita (Reading) 500-700k

Miller (Sunderland) 500k/Loan

Tyson (Forest) 750k

Near on £3m but with of loading 5-6 players (should there be buyers), plus money we made from Carle 500-600k we should not be a million miles away especially if we sell one fo the players I listed as consider bids. what are your thoughts?

I don't buy the whole 'Macca' isn't commited. Sure...sometime's he looks like he's wants to be somewhere else but on the whole he's always giving it 100%.

The problem i think we're going to have is getting offers for the players we want to get rid of as they're hardly the players that will attract huge amounts of interest...and they'll probably end up going on the cheap.

I reckon to leave;

Orr :fingerscrossed:

One of Sproule,Noble or Williams - probably the highest bid which is more than likely to be Noble

John or Dele

Brooker

LJ - provided we get a decent bid (best decision for the club as a whole to let him go imo)

I'd keep hold of Wilson just because of his versatility, same with Skuse as he's good back up.

I don't think Jan is the best time to have a major transition though...i'd rather a few in - few out and then have the sale in the summer...where we have pre-season to sort out tactics etc

I don't buy the whole 'Macca' isn't commited. Sure...sometime's he looks like he's wants to be somewhere else but on the whole he's always giving it 100%.

The problem i think we're going to have is getting offers for the players we want to get rid of as they're hardly the players that will attract huge amounts of interest...and they'll probably end up going on the cheap.

I reckon to leave;

Orr :fingerscrossed:

One of Sproule,Noble or Williams - probably the highest bid which is more than likely to be Noble

John or Dele

Brooker

LJ - provided we get a decent bid (best decision for the club as a whole to let him go imo)

I'd keep hold of Wilson just because of his versatility, same with Skuse as he's good back up.

I don't think Jan is the best time to have a major transition though...i'd rather a few in - few out and then have the sale in the summer...where we have pre-season to sort out tactics etc

Maca for me is currently the most uncommited starting player, he ducks out of headers, never enters a 50/50 and his tacking back and work rate compared to last season is no where near on the same scale, various reasons for this for me mainly due to him being played tucked in which is what he does not like. I remember reading the interview when he signed and he said he left Wolves as he was not getting enough of the ball ie they did not spead the play wide, when we were playing well start of last seaon we were doing this and even in spells end of last season, however this season we have not played him wide, he left Wolves due to this and I fear the same here? I am no doubting he is a quality player for me he was almsot player fo the season for me last year but this year it's a different kettle of fish and I am not blaming him for this position he finds himself in. I cannot currently think of a player we have that we aere playing to their strengths!

GJ has at last admitted the squad is not good enough, so for me now we just need to concentrate on who should stay or go between now and January and what araeas we need to progress/buy in? Hopefully between now and Jan we can pcik up 6 points which would ensure we are not right in it as January starts.

Weale

Basso

Carey

Fontaine

Elliott

Noble

Williams (only just still don't think we have seen enough to be 100%, give him until summer)

Trundle

Maynard

Akinde

Elliott ( Anything over simialr amounts to Basso, was great last season but was this a one season wonder?)

McIndoe (Like him as player but is not commited enough in difficult times, is he a team player, anything over £500k consider)

Trundle (I want him to succed and give the chance think he would, but not getting any younger and clearly GJ does not rate anyhting over 500k)

B.Wilson ( Has no best position, poor positonal play, not great at heading and light weight in the tackle)

Johnson ( Probably just good enough to stay and as cover but cant help but thinking GJ job would be easier wothout him about, player unrest? and fans giving him a hard time which is a shame)

Skuse (As much as I like Skuse and he is a local lad not good enough for Championship football week in week out)

Dele (Not getting any younger, decent at what he does due to effort, but does not score enough goals and does not always use his size as well as he should do, and since he has come along his style of play has meant we have changed our game plan to suit him)

John (Again to old, not what we need, high wages and if the rumour of £1m is true then thsi club would be mad to even consider this)

Brooker (If he can stay fit our best striker but I just do not see him player 30-40 games a season ever again, can he stay fit long enough for usa to get him t move on?

For me we need a right back/righ sided player Mark Yeates of Colchester, Boyd of Peterbourgh look like options as does Scott Sinclair who can play both wings.

In centre midfield we need a player in the mould of Rowlands of QPR (not possible i know), but someone similar in terms of the game they play maybe Liam Miller or Sunderland?, think we also need cover down the left side, still think we should have took a punt on Ross Wallace who is at Preston last summer can play full back or left mid.

Up front if we could grab Lita for 500-750k he creates his own goals so would go some way to helping us solve the lack of creativity option, and also I think a cheeky bid for Tyson would be a shout he was great at the gate for them. This would give us these 2 plus Trundle and Maynard 4 CCC strikers in my eyes.

Tragets for me should be

Boyd (Posh) 500k

Sinclair (Chelsea) Loan

Lita (Reading) 500-700k

Tyson (Forest) 750k

Near on £3m but with of loading 5-6 players (should there be buyers), plus money we made from Carle 500-600k we should not be a million miles away especially if we sell one fo the players I listed as consider bids. what are your thoughts?

Pretty much agree with all of that.

Apart from the bit of the end about Carle. Any profit was swallowd up by the Maynard Deal

Funny how up until last night GJ was defending the players by saying that he cant talk to much about future signings as it wouldn't be fair to the current squad...well looks like that was there last chance then.

If we are going to move these players on or not i don't know but the following are players ive not been impressed with this season and would happily see replaced:

In no particular order...

Lee Johnson

Ivan Sproule

Dele Adebola

Bradley Orr

To come in, i think we need 1 right sided winger, 1 forward (not an out and out striker or target man), a midfield general type and some competition for left back.

This is the way I see it

GK - Basso

RB - New

CB - Carey

CB - New or blood Wilson

LB - New or Fontaine

LM - McIndoe of last season

CM - Elliott

CM - New

RM - New, Tommy Smith from Watford

FWD - Maynard

FWD - Akinde

I would tell Maynard and Akinde that they have got a run in the team together and go and forge a partnership, the were bought for the future so why not start now.

I certainly need 4/5 new players in January

Weale

Basso

Carey

Fontaine

Elliott

Noble

Trundle

Maynard

Akinde

Tragets for me should be

Boyd (Posh) 500k

Sinclair (Chelsea) Loan

Lita (Reading) 500-700k

Tyson (Forest) 750k

Loans are fine and Sinclair and Miller are reasonable ideas.

Lita or Tyson surely. Both would expect to play if they came here so that would leave no room for Maynard who must be persevered with. I wouldn't want Lita at AG again anyway. You can bet Tyson's plague of injuries would soon reoccur if we signed him too.

I'd keep Skuse and Wilson, and in Wilson's case ignore his protestations that right back is his best position. I think he impresses far more on the right side of midfield and should concentrate his efforts to become an established Championship player there.

I wouldn't get rid of too many:

Orr, Sproule & Johnson.

Webster and John should be sent back.

McIndoe's future with City is limited, I think, bit more likely he will leave at the end of the season.

It seems Noble may go, and at the end of the day if GJ's not going to play him, then he might as well.

I wouldn't be upset if Basso was sold for a good offer to raise funds, Weale would be fine.

We then would need at least a right back, a right winger, a creative midfielder, and a seasoned pro who can play along the back four ( Carey is injured or suspended far too often) and also cover for McAllister. Trundle should feature far more after John has departed.

I'm not even going to hazard a guess as to who these replacements might be, ( Yeates seems the sort of player we should be after and I've heard Hackett of Millwall mentioned) that's what our scouting system is for, and we are told they have lists drawn up. I would hope however that we will finally make use of our numerous scouting missions in Europe to sign a few bargain players who really want to make their mark in English football.

Time to be ruthless

I would get rid of the following.

Orr although if wanted to stay, I would let wilson go

McAllister - past it, rarely plays well anymore

Skuse. Is a good back-up for Marv, but nothing more - he needs a move for his own career.

Noble - I would like to see him in central mid, but GJ mantains his work rate isnt good enough, so we cant have a player who plays ONLY behind the front man..... can only play when we play 4-5-1!!

Trundle at times this season, there have been times i would have liked to see him brought on up front, but always comes on in different positions. But he had his chance last season and did'nt play well often enough and his age he's not going to become better or more consitent. also his lack of pace lets him down massively in this division!

Dele again, age is not on his side, and unless were going to use him as a impact sub, then I cant see how to use him. Did well last season, but not this season and has had plenty of opportunitys this season!!

Playing for their future or contracts

Stern John needs a run of games between now and january and depending on how he does, I would probabaly let him go, due to high wages and age. If he does well though, i would keep him for the rest of the season.

Michael McIndoe rumours he wants to leave, not sure if there true, but a couple of things during games makes me wonder if he is 100% and wants to be here. Unless he improves before january, I would seek a replacement for him and let him go to baadiff!

Maybe some good names being thought about. Smith at Watford , they have turned down a £1 million offer from Stoke and insist they want £3 million. Tyson priced himself out of a move to AG cant see anything changing there. I really can't see the Club paying over the odds prices in January. I know GJ has changed his view and has now openly addmitted that changes need to be made. I still think his earlier comments regards changes were correct. In efforts to improve morale you try and encourage what you have by not talking replacements. However after last night he has decided enough is enough, perhaps this might be classed as a hangranade moment. Whatever happens lets all remember the team and the manager still need are support.

This is what I think should happen:

OUT

Orr - all but gone

Johnson - Unnecessary problem caused

Weale - Good but can't be second choice for any longer

Skuse - not good enough for this level

Noble - doesn't fit GJ's style / plans

Brooker - too injured

Dele - too old and encourages hoof ball

John - Has to go back - too old too much cash

Webster - Has to go back - too $%*&

IN

I would gamble the whole lot on getting on awesome attacking midfielder - Watson would be my ideal option but unless noble is used as a make weight then highly unlikely

OUT

Orr - all but gone

Brooker - too injured

IN

I would gamble the whole lot on getting on awesome attacking midfielder - Watson would be my ideal option but unless noble is used as a make weight then highly unlikely

Wouldnt be shocked if this hppend, given that Noble mite end up at palace

OUT

Orr - all but gone

Brooker - too injured

I agree mostly but not with Skuse. He's a very capable and versatile player and still only 22. It would be silly to let him go. I wouldn't like to see Noble leave either but as you say Johnson doesn't seem to have much faith in him so in Noble's career interest it might be better for him to move on. I would add Sproule to your list. I can't see what he brings other than his pace.

I think the midfield need a complete overhaul and so does the defence. City don't have a dominant center half nor an all action midfielder. Elliot did that brilliantly last season but is struggling to find his best form this season.

City have enough good strikers. Maynard, Trundle and John all have good scoring records at other clubs and don't need to be told how to find the net. What they need is better service and with a better midfield those chances will start to come.

OUT

Orr - all but gone

Brooker - too injured

IN

We'd have a tiny squad then and what if our new saviour in the midfield got injured first game?

We'd have a tiny squad then and what if our new saviour in the midfield got injured first game?

Very true but I think it is a risk we have to take. It does also mean that we might have to blood another youngster during an injury or suspension but hey give em a chance worked for colin!!

This is how i would go

Basso

Rb - New

CB - Carey

CB - McCombe -

LB - New

RW - New - Sproule is to poor

CM - New - NObes/Elliot don't seem to be rated, Johnson to go for good of club/manager

Cm - Elliott

LW - New - don't rate mcindoe, don't thinj he supplies enough decent ball despite a lot of possession

St - Maynard

St - Akinde

This is who i think will/should leave

Sproule is just poor

Nobes/williams don't seem to be rated, (i would keep both)

Johnson to go for good of club/manager

Mcindoe, don't think he supplies enough decent ball despite a lot of possession

Trundle - not even given a decent run despite being by far our best ball player (i would keep)

John - Not interested despite playing for a contract

Dele - Big lump and we play horrendous football when hes on the pitch

Skuse - Good league 1 player, odd good game but generally not good enough

Wilson - See Skuse

Orr - does not want to be here (i would keep if things sorted themselves out)

Brooker - Injury prone so bomb him out

I'd consider moving the following players on if there were interest:

Orr

Johnson

Sproule

Adebola

Skuse

and let John go back.

I'd like to see us sign:

Lewington to compete with McAllister.

Yeates to replace Sproule.

Boyd to give McIndoe a run for his money.

A right back - maybe a loan if Ribeiro is the future there long term.

and a creative, goalscoring central midfielder to partner Elliott or Skuse. Don't have any ideas on that front though Shields looks to have the goals in him. Maybe a Prem loan like when Brum got Larsson for their promotion season.

It's unlikely IMO that we'll see anywhere near that level of business done in January though. Most likely we'll see 2-3 players leave and 1-2 come in. If they're the right ones that could be enough to see us finish top half.

I was reading in the sun newspaper yesterday that a bid of around 500k could get Ben Watson. If this is true Mr Lansdown should get on the phone right now and make sure we are first in the cue. Because that is a bargain for a player of that quality!

let's just hope the rumour about noble going there is true (sounds possible and he's matey with carle that makes me think it's true) and therefore make watson alot more likely to happen :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

have said it numerous times in other posts

Out:

Orr - forget the contract issue, he is just no good

Webster - back to scotland

Sproule - 1 and a half seasons later, still yet to produce

Mcindoe - doesnt want to be here. were all beginning to see why he has had so many clubs!

John - back to soton asap!

Adebola - hasnt got it in him anymore, akinde is a better option

Trundle - don't get the love for him. same as Sproule, season and a half later still hasnt produced consistantly

Players to consider bids for:

Weale

Johnson

Noble

Needed:

right back

right wing

left wing

centre mid

striker x 2

think we will get half of this at best.

lets be sensible about possible targets though. people like ben watson at palaca is a no go. fulham him the prem and qpr with all the money are after him so why even waste our time. players like boyd from peterborough would be a great shout and is the type of player we should look for

If you go through player by player you'd want to bomb most of them out.

I think it depends on who we can get as to who will leave.

I think it depends on who will be wanted by another club

Reality is we will have trouble shifting most....especialy if we are looking for a refund on the money spent on them that is - Trundle in particular

OUT

Orr - all but gone

Brooker - too injured

IN

Noble for Watson now thats funny. So £1.5 million for Watson with £200000 at best for Noble. Me thinks watson will be off to QPR in january.

I think it depends on who will be wanted by another club

Reality is we will have trouble shifting most....especialy if we are looking for a refund on the money spent on them that is - Trundle in particular

Bang on. We keep reminding ourselves on this forum about perspective - size of our club, financial resources, promotion potential, length of time in the CCC etc etc - but then get completely carried away when the subject of new players arises.

We can forget looking upwards for possible targets - unless we are prepared to pay prem wages (or near as dammit) for a young, outer fringe player, or someone in the twighlight of their career. I think SL has indicated, pretty firmly, that this wont happen.

That leaves two options - players from abroad, or players with potential from our league / lower leagues - both of which carry a fair slug of risk with them - and may not have an instant impact.

It MAY be possible to get one (or absolute max two) loan players from the larger prem squads - but again, they are likley to be fringe players, and young. Nothing wrong with that, but if you're looking for a strong, inspirational CM - seems unlikely.

My prediction - several out (basically, as suggested above, could be anyone for whom an offer is received) - probably only max of two in (one perm / one loan).

Noble for Watson now thats funny. So £1.5 million for Watson with £200000 at best for Noble. Me thinks watson will be off to QPR in january.

No way Watson will be £1.5m as he will be on a free in 5 months time. I doubt Johnson wants him because he has a perfect opportunity to swap carle for him in the summer

No way Watson will be £1.5m as he will be on a free in 5 months time. I doubt Johnson wants him because he has a perfect opportunity to swap carle for him in the summer

I think Watson was probably under the illusion that a Prem move was just around the corner in the summer. I doubt he'll move in January though unless it's to the Prem because he'll have a much stronger negotiating position when out of contract.

I read Fulham were looking at Watson too, we've missed our best chance to sign him in the summer on the back of a great season and the Carle deal, he really wouldnt have much to gain from joining us now, id say hes looking to move up a league.

Great post here's my version of things

Weale

Basso

Henderson

Carey

McCombe

Fontaine

Elliott

Sproule

Noble

Trundle

Maynard

Akinde

Basso - Would accept an offer of £1m upwards

Elliott - Would accept £750 000 upwards

McIndoe - £750 000 upwards

B. Wilson - £ 200 000 or nearest offer

Skuse - recent form good so £200 000 or nearest offer

J.Wilson - £200 000

Murray - We'd be a bit lucky and a bit cheeky to get £400 000 for him

Webster - It isn't working out for the guy

McIndoe - great effort which sums up last season but being found out which sums up this season

Johnson - for the stability of the fan/management relations he must go. There will be someone there to replace him

Dele - had enough really

John - Get rid of him before he drains our funds

Brooker - too injury prone

Myrie Williams

McAllister - There's got to be someone better

G.Williams - Not done enough to command his postion

Can't mention targets as given the current economical state and the £1mil debt I doubt that we will buy without major selling.

Archived