IGNORED

Reading This Forum Now

Guest ashtonyate

After leaving City Marcus Stewart has scored 12 goals in 67 games in League One for Yeovil and has 1 in 17 this time out in League Two for Exeter, which averaged out, is about 7 a season.

Leaving aside the "who was right and who was wrong" stuff, that's hardly compelling evidence that he was exactly going to start crashing them in by the bucketload for us, is it?

With the greatest of respect, we were flying high, he bought Adebola and we struggled to make the play-offs. Please don't make out that Adebola somehow saved our season, because before he arrived we were in a far stronger position in the league than we were a few months after he arrived.

In my opinion his purchase changed our season, our game went from a good passing one, with pace and width to more 'route one'...and with that our performaces, like our league position, dropped!

I'm all for the 'Always Believe' attitude and getting behind our manager, but lets talk facts and the fact is, since the January transfer window of last season our performaces have deteriorated and our legaue position has been reflective of this and we are now languishing perilously close to the relegation zone.......somewhere a team managed by 'this so-called great manager' should surely not be!?

I take your point, but I'm not sure it's as clear cut as that. We only lost one of the first nine games after Dele joined and our form didn't start to tail off until the end of March really.

We also only lost three of the first fifteen league games this season, so I'm not sure it's quite as black and white as you suggest.

I agree that we're a better team with the ball on the floor though, and the sooner that comes back the better. I do suspect a lot of that is panic rather than tactics though, brought about by a loss of confidence.

Guest ashtonyate
Where is the evidence of this ??

Johnson bought the players that enabled us to "compete & move on" in lg1 - proof - we got promoted.

He then bought us the players that enabled us to "compete & move on" in the CCC - proof - a top 6 finish.

To go further we need to get promoted - I don't think it's Johnson stopping us getting the players that could take us to the prem, its the fees & wages involved.

Improvement on last season meant promotion this, to any sane person that was always pretty unlikely.

There is no doubt that he is a good lower league Manager and got some good buys,but to me he is out of his depth in this division, Tactilely and buying and managing players.

The next few weeks will be intresting to say the lease he has spent over 5 million so far and not shown good value with a lot of his buys

Guest MaloneFM
There is no doubt that he is a good lower league Manager and got some good buys,but to me he is out of his depth in this division

And only to you.

If being out of your depth means not dropping out of the top 5 in the first season and getting to the play off final I'm sure there are one or two others can could bear that situation.

Hello Colin Waiter

Guest ashtonyate
And only to you.

If being out of your depth means not dropping out of the top 5 in the first season and getting to the play off final I'm sure there are one or two others can could bear that situation.

Hello Colin Waiter

No it means not know what players to buy not knowing what tactics you play and how to manager better players

No it means not know what players to buy not knowing what tactics you play and how to manager better players

Have you not paid any attention over the last 3 years?

I only ask because:

1) Promotion from League 1 in first full season

2) Play off final last season - only 1 goal away from a potential prem spot...

3) On course for mid-table consolidation this season (unless some class players are signed in january)

So what have I missed AY - because I'm struggling to see the negative in that.

I have been saying things that are being said about the team and the Manager for the last 2 years and more i was banned from this forum and Ciderheads for telling it as it was now the birds have come home to roost.

What really put my back up was he never done enough to get us promoted last season by not bring in a goal scoring forward on loan or not buying one.

I all so said he could not handle players with ego's he needs to get his acted together this Window or all the good work he has done will go in a puff of smoke

You really would love it if we went down wouldn't you? So you could tell all your mates how right you are about how s**t Johnson was all along.

Funny thing really. Wanting the team to do badly to prove a point.

Have you not paid any attention over the last 3 years?

I only ask because:

1) Promotion from League 1 in first full season

2) Play off final last season - only 1 goal away from a potential prem spot...

3) On course for mid-table consolidation this season (unless some class players are signed in january)

So what have I missed AY - because I'm struggling to see the negative in that.

I'm a big Johnson fan, but I do disagree with point number three. Our form as of late doesn't equate to being on course for 'mid-table consolidation'. Its not time to panic just yet, but its something that certainly needs addressing sooner rather than later.

It is important to remember though, that we have also lost the 'element of suprise' this season, and teams in and around mid-table or below last year are now giving us the respect of coming to the gate and looking for a point, or hopefully snatch all three. We are finding it hard to break these teams down.

Better teams like Birmingham and Reading are confident enough to come down and look to get all three, as they should, being top of the league.

As for Ashtonyate, I would argue that we have the strikers that can score goals. The problem is not having effective wide players providing CONSISTENTLY good service for them. Including our keepers, we have a decent back five (with or without Bradley), and decent options up front. Where we fall short is ALL across the middle.

I have been saying things that are being said about the team and the Manager for the last 2 years and more i was banned from this forum and Ciderheads for telling it as it was now the birds have come home to roost.

What really put my back up was he never done enough to get us promoted last season by not bring in a goal scoring forward on loan or not buying one.

I all so said he could not handle players with ego's he needs to get his acted together this Window or all the good work he has done will go in a puff of smoke

Deary me, will someone please change the record. I think its scratched.

AY, how you can think you have been 'proved' right by the teams first sticky patch in 3 years is beyond me and most right-thinking peple. All teams go through bad spells from time to time, and it was almost inevitable this season we would find it a little harder as we are less an unknown element as last season (amongst other reasons).

On to your comments about GJ not signing a big name player and not being able to handle ego's, I ask you who would you have suggested we sign in last seasons window, and what evidence do you have about GJ not being able to handle ego's?

You have already been proved wrong about Stewart, so that cant be used, and you have been asked this before...........many times......... and have never given a suitable answer, you just continue to spout the same nonsense thread after thread. And THATS whay you are continuously being banned from forums, as you never add anything but negativity, and never have any evidence to back up what is only your opinion. And the opinion of a grumpy old bugger at that!

I await your answer but I wont hold my breath for a coherent, balanced one.

Guest ashtonyate
Deary me, will someone please change the record. I think its scratched.

AY, how you can think you have been 'proved' right by the teams first sticky patch in 3 years is beyond me and most right-thinking peple. All teams go through bad spells from time to time, and it was almost inevitable this season we would find it a little harder as we are less an unknown element as last season (amongst other reasons).

On to your comments about GJ not signing a big name player and not being able to handle ego's, I ask you who would you have suggested we sign in last seasons window, and what evidence do you have about GJ not being able to handle ego's?

You have already been proved wrong about Stewart, so that cant be used, and you have been asked this before...........many times......... and have never given a suitable answer, you just continue to spout the same nonsense thread after thread. And THATS whay you are continuously being banned from forums, as you never add anything but negativity, and never have any evidence to back up what is only your opinion. And the opinion of a grumpy old bugger at that!

I await your answer but I wont hold my breath for a coherent, balanced one.

Well I do not agree about Stewart he played in the top leagues & Johnson could not handle him,as for last season other teams signed players on loan and bought players in and by not doing so stop us getting promoted .

Last season Johnson came out and said he did believe in signing players in the mid season window this season its Ok according to the post we are supposed to be signing lots of new players Johnson is a typical Londoner makes it up as he goes along.

Since we have been promoted He has spent a lot of money on players and only two have done the job for us.

Well I do not agree about Stewart he played in the top leagues & Johnson could not handle him,as for last season other teams signed players on loan and bought players in and by not doing so stop us getting promoted .

Last season Johnson came out and said he did believe in signing players in the mid season window this season its Ok according to the post we are supposed to be signing lots of new players Johnson is a typical Londoner makes it up as he goes along.

Since we have been promoted He has spent a lot of money on players and only two have done the job for us.

What?

disagree with the rest of your comments, however I agree with this, his record in the transfer market since promotion leaves alot to be desired and he's spent alot of money on players with little return in terms of performances.

Williams, Trundle, Maynard, Sproule, Adebola have cost alot of money and for me have failed to impress, however I don't blame the players or the reasons for signing them, but how they have been played or managed since they have been here, we have failed to get the best out of them.

Guest ashtonyate
Johnson "handled" Stewart; he got rid of him. Best thing for the club, as the tail end of that season and the next (and the next...) proved. Or can you see an alternative future/past where keeping a past-it old striker on the books somehow benefited us?

Stewart Played for a lot of top Managers in a lot of top teams never a whiff of any thing bad about him

"Typical Londoner"? Nice to see you lumping together 7+ million people into one personality type, you stupendous bigot. And GJ did transfer business last year in January (and the year before...) so how is he making it up as he goes along? I think you are making things up as you go along you idiot...

Well I think he comes over as a wide boy

Since we were promoted (less than 18 months back) only two signings have done a job for us? Define what you mean? What job is that? Getting to the playoff final? Even if we ignore the fact that we finished playoff finalists last year, regardless of who we bought, which two players have "done a job", you useless liar?

Eloitt & Adeobla have done any good & Adeobla is past his sell by date,And you are a rose tinted fool

Out of interest; what is your point?

You feed off negativity and only ever show yourself on here to make you sniping points about the team when we have a wobble.

Nothing you say is constructive and you struggle to articulate even the most simple of points.

You are full of hate and negativity and are simply the worst example of a poster on here.

I'd look forward to your response but I know it'll just be worthless, vitriolic bile.

I notice you still havent answered my direct questions. :disapointed2se:

I will ask again. Who do you think we should/could have signed that would have improved us, and where is your proof of GJ not being able to handle 'ego's'?

As for Stewart, he was a player on the wane as his form since leaving us has proved, so GJ has been proved right over that.

Your 'Typical Londoner' comment is just ridiculous too, and shows what a narrow-minded person you really are. Honestly, with comments like that why should anyone take you seriously?

I still believe Gary Johnson to be an excellent manager. Were it not for the 'two goals that never were' against Swansea then Sheffield Wednesday we'd be within a couple of wins of a pray-off spot. We've got the nucleus of a very strong Championship side thanks to the hard work of Gary Johnson and Co over the past 2 years. The team needs strengthening and Gary Johnson has recognized this fact and we'll no doubt be strengthened come the January transfer window.

Guest ashtonyate
I notice you still havent answered my direct questions. :disapointed2se:

I will ask again. Who do you think we should/could have signed that would have improved us, and where is your proof of GJ not being able to handle 'ego's'?

There are lots of players out there we could have signed on loan or bought I watched Charlton last night they have got players in on loan, I just wonder if its the Manager they don't want to play for.Football is a tight nit group of people and I just wonder what Johnson reputation is in that group

As for Stewart, he was a player on the wane as his form since leaving us has proved, so GJ has been proved right over that.

As for Stewart On the wane we have bought players of a similar ages as Stewart and not with a comparable record,He was so bad that Yeovil begged him to stay when he went.

Your 'Typical Londoner' comment is just ridiculous too, and shows what a narrow-minded person you really are. Honestly, with comments like that why should anyone take you seriously?

Well you take it or leave it

Guest ashtonyate
I still believe Gary Johnson to be an excellent manager. Were it not for the 'two goals that never were' against Swansea then Sheffield Wednesday we'd be within a couple of wins of a pray-off spot. We've got the nucleus of a very strong Championship side thanks to the hard work of Gary Johnson and Co over the past 2 years. The team needs strengthening and Gary Johnson has recognized this fact and we'll no doubt be strengthened come the January transfer window.

Well only time will how good he is as a manager,as for the goal that were not given that's football we were not complaining last year with the good luck we got what comes around goes around.

As for Johnson Knows the squad needs strengthening, to most none rose tinted glass wearers that was obvious last season,yet in the summer window he swapped one midfield for another and bought an young player who done well in a lower division.

He had no experience in the CC a gamble worth taking for a big club but as money is tight we wanted some one who had a pedigree at this level.

Ever since he has become manager we have never had a forward line that could score goals this and signing players is his downfall in my eyes,

Well only time will how good he is as a manager,as for the goal that were not given that's football we were not complaining last year with the good luck we got what comes around goes around.

As for Johnson Knows the squad needs strengthening, to most none rose tinted glass wearers that was obvious last season,yet in the summer window he swapped one midfield for another and bought an young player who done well in a lower division.

He had no experience in the CC a gamble worth taking for a big club but as money is tight we wanted some one who had a pedigree at this level.

Ever since he has become manager we have never had a forward line that could score goals this and signing players is his downfall in my eyes,

Despite him signing players that have seen us get promoted from League One automatically and finish fourth in the Championship in the last two seasons?

If that's his downfall, what were you actually expecting him to achieve?

The birds have not come home to roost. It is quite clear that the team's belief and confidence has taken a knock recently and we hit a bad patch as a subsequence of that. That confidence and belief is now returning and we will see an upturn in results starting with Saturday.

You shouldn't get your back up, you should read more that comes out of the club as Johnson has stated that he tried to get another forward in alongside the acquisition of Adebola, namely Frazer Campbell who decided that he would rather stay up North and go to Hull City than come to us. The thing is with everyone's analysis of last season is that we are all assuming that bringing someone in would have got us promoted automatically. It is all hypothetical now and none of us know for definite that even bringing a proven goalscorer into what was a misfiring team towards the back end of the season would have made any difference whatsoever.

Johnson can handle ego's, what he doesn't like though is arrogance and disruptive influences in the dressing room. There is a clear defining line between the two that you seem unable to comprehend for some reason. Marcus Stewart showed contempt for the man that leads our team and for that reason alone he had to go. How many players has Ferguson gotten rid of at Man U for the same reason. Beckham, Van Nistelrooy and Jaap Stam to name but three, but you don't hear their fans saying Ferguson can't handle egos, do you? He weeds out the disruptive influences as no successful dressing room has them.

In fairness Ashtonyate does have a point.

There were obvious holes in the squad in the summer and they weren't filled. Those holes are the same ones now that coupled with some very strange looking selections and a couple of key injuries have taken us from a top 10 side to the verge of a relegation scrap.

GJ's signings up front have not impressed me either though I am sure that with the right service Nicky Maynard will turn out great.

He's picked out some great midfielders and defenders but when our wage bill last season was over £8m and we've spent the best part of £5m on transfers over the last two seasons I think the squad should be stronger than it is.

We performed out of our skins last season and it's unrealistic to expect the same which was why strengthening the squad with quality players over the summer was so important and we failed to do that in several positions.

Guest ashtonyate
Despite him signing players that have seen us get promoted from League One automatically and finish fourth in the Championship in the last two seasons?

If that's his downfall, what were you actually expecting him to achieve?

He understands the lower leagues but the players he has signed since we have got promoted have not add to the strength of the team apart from Elliott.

Now we have to go out and sign more players because of his bad buys since we came up. you are only as good where you are now last season counts for nothing if we go down.

I see I have got a warning what was that for??.

He understands the lower leagues but the players he has signed since we have got promoted have not add to the strength of the team apart from Elliott.

Now we have to go out and sign more players because of his bad buys since we came up. you are only as good where you are now last season counts for nothing if we go down.

How about McIndoe - best left sided player we've had for a long time ?

Adebola also added to the strength of the team.

There were obvious holes in the squad in the summer and they weren't filled. Those holes are the same ones now that coupled with some very strange looking selections and a couple of key injuries have taken us from a top 10 side to the verge of a relegation scrap.

GJ's signings up front have not impressed me either though I am sure that with the right service Nicky Maynard will turn out great.

He's picked out some great midfielders and defenders but when our wage bill last season was over £8m and we've spent the best part of £5m on transfers over the last two seasons I think the squad should be stronger than it is.

We performed out of our skins last season and it's unrealistic to expect the same which was why strengthening the squad with quality players over the summer was so important and we failed to do that in several positions.

I think thats a touch harsh - its horses for courses & he signed both Jevons & Showumni who both made significant contributions to our promotion from league 1.

As you rightly say it's too early to judge Maynard. Striker wise there are bargains that can peform at this level - Ebanks-Blake, Martin Patterson & Ross McCormack all prove that, but equally it is tough to guarantee goals as this level - both Billy Sharp & Freddy Eastwood show that.

All fair points. However, I think GJ manages in a very specific way that is intended to set out clear guidelines to all the players and any that arrive at the club about how he operates.

Whilst I'd say most of us wanted to see more signings in the summer, GJ stayed loyal to the majority of players that had achieved a fourth placed finish last season, sending out the message that if you do a job for him at a certain level, you will get the opportunity to do it again, rather than be replaced.

I think he is now at a point where he can reasonably argue that his loyalty hasn't been repaid by certain players and they will now be moved on or replaced, and can have little argument in most cases when that happens.

Yes, it's frustrating for the fans, because we all felt more should have happened in the summer, but that's clearly not how GJ operates as far s I can see.

If you do the job he asks you to do and the results come, you stay in the team/squad until such a time as you let him down on a consistent basis. Once you do that, you'll be on your way and others will be given a chance or brought in from outside. I think that's where we are now.

Was his loyalty misplaced? Possibly. But what it does do is tell players coming in that he will be loyal to you so long as you are true to him, which may benefit us long term.

Of course, there'll be aruments about which players are guilty of that, but I'm sure GJ has a very clear idea and is already lining up replacements. I hope so, anyway.

Of course we need to sign more players. You were earlier berating him for not buying and costing us promotion, now you're blaming him for us having to buy.

You want it both ways.

Your warning is explained in the accompanying PM. The explanation is just above the bit that says "please email forum@otib.co.uk if you have any problems".

Tough though isn't it! Like you mention, our wage bill has ballooned to over £8 million a year and SL has stated that a lot of that has come from simply boosting the wages of current players contracts. Bringing in quality players on respectable wages is never going to be an easy task and IMO we were retarded massively by being in the play off final which means we missed out on a lot of the early dealings.

Personally I maintain that Maynard has disappointed and should of scored more goals than he has. He could and should have started his City career at Blackpool with a brace but missed two sitters, one of them a horrendous miss. After what Zaki has done in the Prem you can't help but think what Meteb would've been like at AG. The more finished article, I think he may well of been a sensation. But alas, it just gives me faith that GJ and his brother are able to pick out and come close to signing such exciting players.

£5 mill over the last two seasons is still not a great deal and you have to factor in that the C'ship has significantly increased in terms of quality this season, especially the top 3 sides.

I just don't think at the moment Bristol City is a particularly attractive proposition for many players, despite our finish last season. We're going in for all the right players - Mancienne, Daniel Sturridge and Frasier Campbell - but not getting our way at the moment.

It should give people faith that we are looking at these types though, and we're bound to land one soon. Here's hoping for a few good signings in January

All fair points. However, I think GJ manages in a very specific way that is intended to set out clear guidelines to all the players and any that arrive at the club about how he operates.

Whilst I'd say most of us wanted to see more signings in the summer, GJ stayed loyal to the majority of players that had achieved a fourth placed finish last season, sending out the message that if you do a job for him at a certain level, you will get the opportunity to do it again, rather than be replaced.

That is correct edson. Unfortunately GJ forgot to factor in that football fans (and the world of football to be fair) have absolutely NO patience these days.

The sign of a great manager is being able to rip it up and start again. For instance the likes of Wenger, Fergie who have rebuilt teams to win league titles.

I believe we are approaching this with GJ and that this season will turn out to be a transitional one. The signs that GJ is building for the future were there to see when GJ uncharacteristically signed youngsters in the summer in Maynard and Akinde.

The only real criticism I would level at Gary Johnson's tenure is the sale of Nick Carle to our fierce rivals Palarse. This may not have been Gary Johnson's doing - for all I know - but Nick Carle still has not been replaced and I thought we were promised a replacement? :noexpression:

Archived