IGNORED

Bristol

CiderHider

It comes as no surprise, having visited many many Citys across the globe I can say Bristol stands up with the very best of them and now its official.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homepage/Br...il/article.html

So, As the best City in the Country do you think it will help GJ attract some quality players who would normally say no Championship footy?

Yes indeed, Bristol is officially the slowest City to get around in by car - averaging just 17mph.

I firmly believe the traffic planners in this city are all cyclists, because they certainly can't be car drivers!

Other than that, Bristol has its pluses and minuses, much the same as any city.

It comes as no surprise, having visited many many Citys across the globe I can say Bristol stands up with the very best of them and now its official.

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homepage/Br...il/article.html

So, As the best City in the Country do you think it will help GJ attract some quality players who would normally say no Championship footy?

Thats because its so close to the wonder that is Weston-super-Mare

It's as good a place as anywhere in the country, personally only Edinburgh tops Bristol for me.

Worldwide though........not sure how it got into the top 10.

Many other great cities that aren't even mentioned??? Sydney, San Fran, Lisbon, Dublin are great places and find suprising that none are mentioned? Copenhagen is a lovely place, BUT.........Cape Town......christ!!!

Still, all publicity is good publicity I suppose!

For years, Bristol has constantly and repeatedly been held up as the best city in the UK. This is both statistical and anecdotal. e.g. just last month, Bristol was crowned "European City of the year" by the Academy of Urbanism.

More students remain in Bristol after completing their studies than in any other UK city. My girlfriend came here to do her Phd after completing her degree in Oxford and stayed on in Bristol and is now a BCFC season ticket holder!

People pick on Bristol's traffic problems, but apart from the fact that First Bus are s**t and Bristol City Council are s**t, the primary reason why we have such bigtime traffic congestion is that Bristol is the most affluent city in the country and we therefore have more cars than anyone else. Fact!

Sadly, a disproportionate number of Bristolians are negative f######s who are too insular and introspective ever to have gone anywhere else and fail to realise what an amazing, vibrant, cosmopolitan place we are fortunate to live in. Extraordinarily, it also seems there are a few who feel that the best and most successful manager we've had since Alan Dicks should leave.

F###### idiots.

For years, Bristol has constantly and repeatedly been held up as the best city in the UK. This is both statistical and anecdotal. e.g. just last month, Bristol was crowned "European City of the year" by the Academy of Urbanism.

More students remain in Bristol after completing their studies than in any other UK city. My girlfriend came here to do her Phd after completing her degree in Oxford and stayed on in Bristol and is now a BCFC season ticket holder!

People pick on Bristol's traffic problems, but apart from the fact that First Bus are s**t and Bristol City Council are s**t, the primary reason why we have such bigtime traffic congestion is that Bristol is the most affluent city in the country and we therefore have more cars than anyone else. Fact!

Sadly, a disproportionate number of Bristolians are negative f######s who are too insular and introspective ever to have gone anywhere else and fail to realise what an amazing, vibrant, cosmopolitan place we are fortunate to live in. Extraordinarily, it also seems there are a few who feel that the best and most successful manager we've had since Alan Dicks should leave.

F###### idiots.

Great post!

Sadly, a disproportionate number of Bristolians are negative f######s who are too insular and introspective ever to have gone anywhere else and fail to realise what an amazing, vibrant, cosmopolitan place we are fortunate to live in.

How true this is.

:city: Bristol is an amazing place. though based in Hereford for a lot of my career i have lived in London, Birmingham, Leeds, Peterborough Doncaster and Carlisle. Spending a lot of time abroad as well the only place that has that bit of something for me is Bristol. It does help that it is in the blood as the family are from Bristol. When i retire i will move back to Bristol and Bristol City will be my team wheter they are Premier League or Blue Square championship. Bristol is a great place.

:city:

Yes indeed, Bristol is officially the slowest City to get around in by car - averaging just 17mph.

I firmly believe the traffic planners in this city are all cyclists, because they certainly can't be car drivers!

Other than that, Bristol has its pluses and minuses, much the same as any city.

Plus an average journey time on 17.65432 years if you find yourself on the 36 from Withywood

It's as good a place as anywhere in the country, personally only Edinburgh tops Bristol for me.

Worldwide though........not sure how it got into the top 10.

Many other great cities that aren't even mentioned??? Sydney, San Fran, Lisbon, Dublin are great places and find suprising that none are mentioned? Copenhagen is a lovely place, BUT.........Cape Town......christ!!!

Still, all publicity is good publicity I suppose!

It seems a very subjective list especially when, in English terms, Wells is also a city -as it possesses a Cathedral.

But the list does not mention Vancouver or (dare I say it?) Melbourne, both periodically rated as the worlds most "livable" cities.

Actually, or all European cities that I've been- and that's not many really- I'd rate Helsinki above all.

Guest pepsi&shirley
Plus an average journey time on 17.65432 years if you find yourself on the 36 from Withywood

You should use the number 75 go into asdaw's for 10 minutes then go to the barley mow for a few pints.....Only then will you come close to seeing why we have come in the top 10 city's in the world.... :noexpression: :noexpression:

It's not so much Bristol, the place, I hate - it's an institutionalised Bristol City Council who, for more years than I care to remember, have had no time or money for sporting projects (Athletics, Swimming, Football, etc - for a city of our size, we are a disgrace), Public Transport (The 'on again' 'off again' tram system), Car Drivers (Traffic planning is shameful) and support of Youth initiatives.

It's not so much Bristol, the place, I hate - it's an institutionalised Bristol City Council who, for more years than I care to remember, have had no time or money for sporting projects (Athletics, Swimming, Football, etc - for a city of our size, we are a disgrace), Public Transport (The 'on again' 'off again' tram system), Car Drivers (Traffic planning is shameful) and support of Youth initiatives.

Even more incredible considering they had all the time in the world to get this started when they ripped up broadmead shopping centre. They should have made a start on a tram system. Too late now though.

Don't live in Bristol and never have, not a City person at all, too much noise and concrete.

For me Perth Australia is the best city I have ever visited.

So great that apparently we gave up on having a Christmas tree on College Green because it was vandalised several times and the one in Broadmead has no baubles on the lower branches 'cause they'd all get nicked! :noexpression:

spot on..........I'm sure if the survey had been done a few months later we wouldn't be on it.

Bristol is a Great City.......however it will always be held back by the Council that runs it, for me a City who's main shopping centre doesn't switch on it's Christmas Lights over a H&S issue, isn't one of the best cities in a world.

no doubt though, due to this result the corrupt and incompetant council will be giving themselves a pat on the back, a nice xmas bonus and pay rise and using the example of "one of the greatest cities in the world" as yet another reason to bump up the council tax

Archived