IGNORED

Adebola

Pete1975Legend

I think SJ has had his chance the past 3/4 games and hasn't delivered although you could say we have been winning and drawing against premeirship opposition. But for me when Adebola plays it gives central defenders a tough task, when he came on Saturday we looked far more threatening going forward.

What do others think?

I think SJ has had his chance the past 3/4 games and hasn't delivered although you could say we have been winning and drawing against premeirship opposition. But for me when Adebola plays it gives central defenders a tough task, when he came on Saturday we looked far more threatening going forward.

What do others think?

Are you foregtting just how many goals Adebola has scored? He might offer more of a physical presence but he doesn't have the goal threat that John has. Both Maynard and Sproule have said that they like playing with John because of what he offers in terms of movement and awareness. Adebola's game is one-dimensional but he's useful to have as an impact player with 15mins or so to go against tiring defenders - thats what happened at Pompey.

The other issue is that when Adebola starts in can 'encourage' the other players to lump long balls up to him which as we know by City's low goal ratio over this and last season is a low percentage tactic.

Are you foregtting just how many goals Adebola has scored? He might offer more of a physical presence but he doesn't have the goal threat that John has. Both Maynard and Sproule have said that they like playing with John because of what he offers in terms of movement and awareness. Adebola's game is one-dimensional but he's useful to have as an impact player with 15mins or so to go against tiring defenders - thats what happened at Pompey.

The other issue is that when Adebola starts in can 'encourage' the other players to lump long balls up to him which as we know by City's low goal ratio over this and last season is a low percentage tactic.

I think this long ball to Adebola thing is an urban myth. However, we do appear to play it long more when McCombe is in the side.

Was it a coincidence that we recently played some of our best football for a while with John in and McCombe out?

Swings and roundabouts I suppose. Personally I think that Fontaine and Carey are a better defensive pairing and they will try to play the ball out of defence. But McCombe was MOM on Saturday so you can't argue with that.

I think this long ball to Adebola thing is an urban myth.

I disagree. I think performances have been noticeably worse with him in the side in footballing terms. The other forward players tend to go static waiting for a flick on rather than move to give options and we end up playing more directly. That's just opinion though.

What isn't opinion is that our results over this season and last have been significantly better without Adebola in the XI than with.

What do others think?

Dele was brilliant when he came on against Portsmouth - but he got tired after about 15 minutes :noexpression:

He's much more useful when he comes on against tiring defenders.

What isn't opinion is that our results over this season and last have been significantly better without Adebola in the XI than with.

Conversely, I seem to remember something similar being said of Bas savage :whistle2:

Although nobody rated him (like Stern John it seems) we kept wining when he was in the team.

Styvar up front with Maynard (if fit) against Doncaster, with both wide men using the flanks.

Doncaster are one of the weaker teams, so Styvar given the chance could start off with a confidence booster of a goal.

GJ has to the set the team out looking for a comfy result. :fingerscrossed:

Styvar up front with Maynard (if fit) against Doncaster, with both wide men using the flanks.

Doncaster are one of the weaker teams, so Styvar given the chance could start off with a confidence booster of a goal.

GJ has to the set the team out looking for a comfy result. :fingerscrossed:

Donny had a morale boosting 2-1 win against Burnley recently and will not provide City with a 'comfy' win. They'll be at City from the start and won't be an easy touch especially if they score first.

I think we would all like to see Styvar given his league but it would have to be a 4-3-3 as I can't John or Maynard making way for him in a 4-4-2 assuming that Maynard is fit by Saturday of course.

Donny had a morale boosting 2-1 win against Burnley recently and will not provide City with a 'comfy' win. They'll be at City from the start and won't be an easy touch especially if they score first.

I think we would all like to see Styvar given his league but it would have to be a 4-3-3 as I can't John or Maynard making way for him in a 4-4-2 assuming that Maynard is fit by Saturday of course.

i would go with 4-4-2 with Noble with Elliot or even a 3-5-2 with Skue as well, but either way i would play Styvar with John on the bench!

But i would certainly try and get an early goal, not just trying to contain donny, it's about time we played less cautious footy.IMO

What do others think?

BASSO

ORR CAREY MCCOMBE FONTAINE

...MARV.............

........MCINDOE....LJ............

...SPROULE..MAYNARD

..STERN........

Hendo, skuse, adebola, noble, trundle, mcallister, williams

Skuse has played well but mcindoe can be far more creative

Also Distin and Campbell did look quite vulnerable to pace

Get first goal, early, then the fans with a good atmsophere and could maybe bring in skusey for lj later on to keep the shape and formation but get him and marv to smash them up :D

EDIT: my formation above is supposed to look like the one against burnley but i cant really set it up very well :laugh:

Are you foregtting just how many goals Adebola has scored? He might offer more of a physical presence but he doesn't have the goal threat that John has.

HAHA, adebola doesn't have the goal threat that John has, that is the funniest thing i have heard all day, remind me how many goals John has scored please.

P.S. John is lazy and far too old to do anything now, HE IS NOT A GOALSCORER!! :disapointed2se:

HAHA, adebola doesn't have the goal threat that John has, that is the funniest thing i have heard all day, remind me how many goals John has scored please.

P.S. John is lazy and far too old to do anything now, HE IS NOT A GOALSCORER!! :disapointed2se:

Your'e obviously not aware of John's goalscoring record throughout his career. He just hasn't had the right service at City so far. Hopefully that wil change if Johnson sticks with 4-4-3.

Archived