IGNORED

Goodbye Marvin Elliot...

garlicbread

For those who don't subscribe to world, Marvin Elliot in interview was asked to confirm that the rumours about him leaving were bullcrap... his face was a picture of embarrasment....exit stage left....Goodbye marvin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From that performance alone, it sounds like we are losing our best player.

Yours sincerley,

Worried of Nailsea!

For those who don't subscribe to world, Marvin Elliot in interview was asked to confirm that the rumours about him leaving were bullcrap... his face was a picture of embarrasment....exit stage left....Goodbye marvin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours sincerley,

Worried of Nailsea!

Great shame if he does leave us, but hardly unexpected. The lad is Premier League quality, so if he's offered a move to the "promised land" we can hardly stand in his way. However, if he's off to another championship club (Cardiff or Reading?) then I'll be hugely pissed off.

If ME goes for anything less than 4 million then thy can have my ST back. I know you can't keep a player against his will but to sell arguably your best player for less than 4 million would be shameful and show a complete lack of ambition.

If ME goes for anything less than 4 million then thy can have my ST back. I know you can't keep a player against his will but to sell arguably your best player for less than 4 million would be shameful and show a complete lack of ambition.

I agree with this, but to be honest, whether its £4m, £6m or £10m.....who are we going to get to replace him?

If he left now, I would seriously be worried about our position in the Championship come the end of the season. Ok, things have improved over the last 3/4 weeks or so, but this is largely down to the improved performances from Elliott in the middle.

Even with him, our midfield at times look weak....without him, I shudder to think.

This man is pure class at this level, and we HAVE to keep him until at least the end of this season.

One thing I'm going to grasp hold of is Johnsons attitude "if they want to leave, I wont play them, as their heads might not be in the right place".....hopefully it means he is staying

Oh and the rumour appears to be Wolves, be interesting to see if he is in the team Saturday or if an "injury" keeps him out

I agree with this, but to be honest, whether its £4m, £6m or £10m.....who are we going to get to replace him?

If he left now, I would seriously be worried about our position in the Championship come the end of the season. Ok, things have improved over the last 3/4 weeks or so, but this is largely down to the improved performances from Elliott in the middle.

Even with him, our midfield at times look weak....without him, I shudder to think.

This man is pure class at this level, and we HAVE to keep him until at least the end of this season.

One thing I'm going to grasp hold of is Johnsons attitude "if they want to leave, I wont play them, as their heads might not be in the right place".....hopefully it means he is staying

Oh and the rumour appears to be Wolves, be interesting to see if he is in the team Saturday or if an "injury" keeps him out

All Marvin was ever bought to be was an investment.

We bought him for jack from Millwall...as long as we make a fat profit (2-3m) then great. And then on to the next one.

Whats to say Styvar wont be another great investment...

What was said:

Adam Baker: Persistent rumours with you and Portsmouth. You man of the match tonight. Nothing more is there?

Marvin Elliott: (Laughs) Nah, I'm happy you know, I'm happy so...

What Johnson said last week:

"The chairman came out earlier this week and said we are not in the business of selling our best players and that remains the case. Obviously, some people are not listening."

What Lansdown said:

"If other clubs think they can come in and buy up our players in January they had better think again. Of course, if someone was to come in with a massive offer, then we would look at it carefully. But we're not in a position where we have to sell and we want to improve our squad, not see it reduced."

"There has been a lot of talk about Marvin Elliott in the newspapers, but as far as we are concerned, he's here for the long haul. We've looked after Marvin, he's on a long-term contract and he's happy at Bristol City. We don't want him to go anywhere."

I'm not sure that I read as much into Marvin's reaction to the Pompey question as some. Sure he seemed embarresed but then he's a very humble guy and being put on the spot on camera as he was took him by surprise.

I tend to listen to Lansdown when he says that City's best players won't be sold.

What was said:

Adam Baker: Persistent rumours with you and Portsmouth. You man of the match tonight. Nothing more is there?

"The chairman came out earlier this week and said we are not in the business of selling our best players and that remains the case. Obviously, some people are not listening."

What Lansdown said:

"If other clubs think they can come in and buy up our players in January they had better think again. Of course, if someone was to come in with a massive offer, then we would look at it carefully. But we're not in a position where we have to sell and we want to improve our squad, not see it reduced."

"There has been a lot of talk about Marvin Elliott in the newspapers, but as far as we are concerned, he's here for the long haul. We've looked after Marvin, he's on a long-term contract and he's happy at Bristol City. We don't want him to go anywhere."

So you're saying that he's off tomorrow then, yeah?!? ;)

To be fair to Marv, I can see how GarlicBread has read it like he has, but I just get the impression that Marv is one of those guys who gets slightly embarrassed by the praise. You shove a camera in his face and say " you were great, are you going to play in the best league in the world?" and he gets a bit skittish and doesn't really know how to react. I think he'll be here for some time yet. To be honest, his form over the past 12 months hasn't been great, and it's only recently (over the last month or so) that we've seen the sort of form he was in at the start of last season appearing again. Let's hope he continues that, because on this form he is one of the best players in this division. He just needs to find that consistency.

What was said:

What Lansdown said:

:clapping:

also as robbored said it was just that he was embarressed by the question

Yours sincerley,

Worried of Nailsea!

Don't panic Garlicbread. I was in hospitality last night and asked Marv directly if he was off after he was presented with the MOM award and i was met with a very curt (but with a smile) ''no'' from a man clearly pi$$ed off with answering that question! Of course he might not have wished to discuss the finer points of a move away from the club with me, but it seemed a very genuine response.

Hope you've got this wrong GB - the guy was immense last night. And is it me or does he really look a foot taller (apart from Crouch!) and a foot wider than anyone else on the pitch when he's on form?

And to the fella who made the point about what Watson is worth - that's because he's o/o/c at the end of the season, Marvellous isn't.

SL says he doesn't want Marvin to go anywhere and Marvin himself certainly doesn't seem to be pushing for a move.

However things can change very quickly in a transfer window and I just hope City have got a replacement or two in mind in case that big offer materialises.

A bid of 2.5/3m. for a player who more than held his own last night is a comparatively small one for big spending Premier League clubs but may be seen as too good to turn down by City.

Hope you've got this wrong GB - the guy was immense last night. And is it me or does he really look a foot taller (apart from Crouch!) and a foot wider than anyone else on the pitch when he's on form?

And to the fella who made the point about what Watson is worth - that's because he's o/o/c at the end of the season, Marvellous isn't.

and Watson is ginger.....so that will decrease his value to

and Watson is ginger.....so that will decrease his value to

Not in my book!

I found my self shouting at the tv last night when Elliott was injured late in the match, a Portsmouth player was helping him up and looking concerned. I'm, yelling 'Get off him, he's not your team mate yet, leave him alone'!

I haven't seen the world interview yet but in past interviews he does come across as a very modest bloke, and as others have said I am hoping that is the reason for him appearing to be uneasy. It would have been simplier for him to stipulate that no questions about transfers could be asked, as Bradley did recently about his contract. I would think then that although maybe Elliott didn't look to comfortable with the question he knew it would be asked and was happy to answer. surely that has to be reassuring, she says hopefully!

Not in my book!

I found my self shouting at the tv last night when Elliott was injured late in the match, a Portsmouth player was helping him up and looking concerned. I'm, yelling 'Get off him, he's not your team mate yet, leave him alone'!

I haven't seen the world interview yet but in past interviews he does come across as a very modest bloke, and as others have said I am hoping that is the reason for him appearing to be uneasy. It would have been simplier for him to stipulate that no questions about transfers could be asked, as Bradley did recently about his contract. I would think then that although maybe Elliott didn't look to comfortable with the question he knew it would be asked and was happy to answer. surely that has to be reassuring, she says hopefully!

I was thinking the exact same thing! Everytime he was down there players would help him up or check he was ok!! :surrender: Hopefully they just had alot of respect for him as he clearly showed alot of them up!! :icecream:

I'd be very surprised if the official site would ask a player such a question if there was anything in it.

Good point. They'll have asked the question if there was no truth in it and left well alone if there was. I am sure that they have pretty clear guidlines about what they can and can't put on the OS.

To clarify this point, has any one ever blatently denied a move when talking to the official club media and then gone or does this argument stand up?

Great game though Marv. He and Skoooose looks the business in the mix and got right up the noses of a supposed Premier League club.

I'd be very surprised if the official site would ask a player such a question if there was anything in it.

indeed... oh yeah guys by the way I'm leaving tomorrow. Come on they obviously asked just to show that he isn't and Elliot just got caught by suprise. But really we wouldn't get over 2 million is funny how many people are getting carried away and worried rumors..

Common sense dictates that Elliott is going nowhere.

We wouldn't accept a bid from a rival in the Championship and I doubt he'd want to leave for one enough anyway.

He hasn't done enough yet to convince a Prem club to splash out the £3m+ it would surely take to get SL to think about it.

He has a niggly ongoing knee problem.

Portsmouth fans aren't about to accept their club replacing a £20m midfielder with one from the Championship.

If he has a storming season then maybe one of the newly promoted sides in the summer will try for him, but I think it very unlikely he's going anywhere this January.

indeed... oh yeah guys by the way I'm leaving tomorrow. Come on they obviously asked just to show that he isn't and Elliot just got caught by suprise. But really we wouldn't get over 2 million is funny how many people are getting carried away and worried rumors..
He may not be worth 4 million to say Portsmouth and Wolves but to us he is worth that. If he went we would be ######.

I think if something comes in to the tune of around 3m then he will be gone as the profit is massive and GJ will feel he can buy 3 or 4 quality players with that. I would actually back that idea because I think we will be midtable this season regardless of Marvin being here or not. The cash would allow us to build for a decent push next season.

He isn't irreplaceable as some have said but it will be difficult to find someone to just come in and walk in to his shoes.

Common sense dictates that Elliott is going nowhere.

We wouldn't accept a bid from a rival in the Championship and I doubt he'd want to leave for one enough anyway.

He hasn't done enough yet to convince a Prem club to splash out the £3m+ it would surely take to get SL to think about it.

He has a niggly ongoing knee problem.

Portsmouth fans aren't about to accept their club replacing a £20m midfielder with one from the Championship.

If he has a storming season then maybe one of the newly promoted sides in the summer will try for him, but I think it very unlikely he's going anywhere this January.

Totaly agree, Portsmouth in all fairness have a pick of much better quality players than Eliiot avaliable to them (after all they have in the region of 15 million to spend). They have been heavily linked with Fernandes and Edu of Valencia who are both in a completly different league to Elliot, and who are both playing regularly in La Liga.

I don't think Elliot is all what hes cracked up to be, yes he is awesome in the championship but look at Nugent, he hasnt cut it in the prem and whos to say Elliot wont do excatly the same. For most premier league clubs there are a lot more attractive options out there IMHO.

Sorry I think I must have missed something and we have suddenly become a small club hopelessly punching above our weight and have to sell our best players when anyone comes knocking on the door.

What a load of crap.

No, but if Elliott's offered Premier League football he's unlikely to want to turn it down and if we're offered enough (who knows what that is, but I suspect it's relatively silly money) we'll take it.

We haven't suddenly become a small club, but we haven't become a big club either.

We haven't suddenly become a small club, but we haven't become a big club either.

No, but we have become an ambitious club with, seemingly sufficient resources to back that ambition. How many times does SL have to say that we do not sell our best players and we are building for the future?

We got promoted with a solid defence which GJ left intact, but bringing in Vasko as a possible strengthening. He was given the money to rebuild the midfield and frontline and did so well enough to get to the play off final.

The frontline was the weaker part of the team last season, but that got strengthened in January and the summer. Why would any other major rebuilding be required?

As it turns out, to overcome the losing play off final blues which has affected us badly for the first half of the season, but which we now appear to be getting over. We strengthen the forwards again with a loan and a purchase in January, certainly the purchase looking to kick us on again to the next level and who knows if we will get anyone else in, we are obviously looking.

We are not a big club and we don't have the strength in depth that some of our rivals have. Yet.

We are not yet a big club, but we have big ambitions and as far as I can see we are taking major steps in achieving those ambitions.

WILL YOU ALL STOP BLOODY WORRYING THAT WE ARE ABOUT TO SELL OUR BEST PLAYERS

WILL YOU ALL STOP BLOODY WORRYING THAT WE ARE ABOUT TO SELL OUR BEST PLAYERS

If you look back, I pointed out that Lansdown and Johnson had said that they have no intention to sell. However, we do need to be realistic and say that if we were offered silly money from a Premier League club, Marvin would almost certainly want to go, and fair play to him.

If you look back, I pointed out that Lansdown and Johnson had said that they have no intention to sell. However, we do need to be realistic and say that if we were offered silly money from a Premier League club, Marvin would almost certainly want to go, and fair play to him.

You did and although I quoted you I was more having a go at people who seem to think that because he plays well we will have to sell him.

Archived