IGNORED

All Things Marvin Elliott!

Jesus

Wouldn't surprise me if the poster was given false information just to make him look stupid. They are most likely sick of him running on here with every bit of information. For example, Noble telling him in a nightclub he earns 2k a week.

Its been done before.

Nothing against Elliott if he goes, good luck to him...

But this will cast some doubt over the ambition of the club, unless an equal or greater replacement is brought in the same window.

Heard that before and wouldnt expect much though.

Agree to some extent.

The ambition of the club is something that some have questioned recently, it seems that for many after such a good season last season, many of happy with a season of medocrity.

If players are feeling it and are wanting to leave us to go to a club like Wolves, then I think it's a sign possibly that the club doesn't show the same ambition to get to the prem as some of the players.

Concerning.

if he leaves we will have nothing in midfield and unless a couple of URGENT replacements are brought in or a relegation fight could be on the cards

Wouldn't surprise me if the poster was given false information just to make him look stupid. They are most likely sick of him running on here with every bit of information. For example, Noble telling him in a nightclub he earns 2k a week.

Its been done before.

Spot on. :winner_third_h4h:

kind of slightly off topic, but I have just watched the veovil leicester game on sky, and there are 21 no hope league one plodders and Mark Davies, for Leicester who is a 20 year old midfielder, on loan to them from Wolves. It will be interesting to see what GJ thinks about him in a minute. He looks a class footballer, but not exactly in the mould of marvin, but we could put him in as part of any deal. - GJ now on, liked the look of him evidently, particularly "terrific skill" in setting up the goal.

well marvin is essential to us, but if wolves are desparate for him, and GJ likes what he saw in Davies, then it isnt out of the question. you know wolves better than us, but if he was very highly rated presumably they wouldnt need to buy in the likes of jones in the summer and marv now? If he was on the transfer list, what kind of fee would you expect to receive for Davies?

Davies has been out injured for the best part of two years. He is getting match fitness now - which is why we bought Jones in the Summer. I don't really think it will have any bearing on the Elliot deal going ahead as planned but who knows.

Marvin is the engine of the team at the moment, and has been for the past 18 months or so. He has, by his own endeavours, forced his market value to sky-rocket. As a result, I would be disappointed, but not all that surprised, to see Marv go for less than 2 million. I just wish that if he does go, we sign another player like Marv. He is EXACTLY what our team relies on and what our team represents. If he does go, I would look for Ferrie Bodde as a replacement.

Marvin is the engine of the team at the moment, and has been for the past 18 months or so. He has, by his own endeavours, forced his market value to sky-rocket. As a result, I would be disappointed, but not all that surprised, to see Marv go for less than 2 million. I just wish that if he does go, we sign another player like Marv. He is EXACTLY what our team relies on and what our team represents. If he does go, I would look for Ferrie Bodde as a replacement.

definitely, if he goes we need someone in to take the game by the scruff of the neck, and Bodde is class as well, but I think he has knackered knee ligaments.

I just wish that if he does go, we sign another player like Marv.

That bit bothers me, if we sell Elliott it should be because we have had an enormous offer that we can't refuse and have someone lined up that will be better than him. Otherwise what is the point.

We sold Nick Carle without replacing him, if we sell Elliott for anything less than 3 million then I can see it getting very ugly at the Gate after any defeat.

Spot on, I'm not of the type that would stop a lad playing playing prem, but Wolves ffs?! No, we can't allow it to happen, Elliot must be professional aswell as the club and understand we need him, if at least till the end of the season, but maybe by then Wolves wont want him if they go up and sign someone else, maybe Elliot thinks this is his big chance, would hate to stand in his way but, Wolves?!? :disapointed2se:

3.25m + 30% sellon and a buyback clause if we get in the prem for 3.5m :disapointed2se: :disapointed2se:

I wish this story would die, I hate January too, whats the point of the window really? Get out of jail free card when really these decisions should be made in the summer only, otherwise it just upsets teams and players and fans alike, bloody joke, I'm going to write to the FA about this fiasco!

Shall we throw in a a club sponsored unicorn while were at it?

OK, I'd be as disappointed as anyone if he leaves, but think we have to get this in context. The fact that we consider him our best midfielder probably says more about our midfield than it does about Elliott.

To suggest he's Premier League class interests me, simply because if this is the case, at this apparent giveaway price where is the interest from premier league clubs?

Possibly they recognize that despite the fact that he has a great engine, he lacks a first touch, has limited passing ability and does not score for fun. Got a few important ones last season but has not matched that this year and in that way that all action wonderfully enthusiastic players always do have a feeling we've excused these failings because of his apparent desire to give his all for the club.

If this quality is now to be questioned then I'm not sure he's talented enough to fight to hold onto and I'd let him go.

Sensible post at last, which I can agree with.

As I said on Sunday, this is likely to happen but......

I'm not convinced that we need Elliott, we certainly won't be paying anything like £2M if we sign him, we will only be doing that for Mancienne if he becomes available.

Mark Davies will be back in the Wolves team at the end of the month, class player who does have a first touch.

Its been shown on many occasions that keeping a player against his will can be extremely counter productive (Berbatov being the prime example)

If he is being offered more money than we are prepared to pay, or that fits into the wage structure and he wants to go there is little we can do about it than try to sell to the highest bidder.

put yourself in his shoes - playing for a team you don't support with an opportunity of earning substantially more money (plus the old signing on fee) and a far better possibility of Premier League football next season, or if Pompey come in for you, in a matter of days.

what would you do?

Honour my contract, play as well as I possibly can, and ensure that when the contract is up I can take my pick of even better offers if we haven't gone up by then.

Precisely. I don't knock players for earning huge sums of money, but the least they can do is honour the contract the signed out of choice.

Honour my contract, play as well as I possibly can, and ensure that when the contract is up I can take my pick of even better offers if we haven't gone up by then.

The club wouldnt allow themselves to lose out, which is why players tend to be sold for a bit less than everyone tinks they are worth

...hence the fact that elliot will go for about 2m and then there will loads of typical over reactions from otib forumers, accusing Lansdown of selling the family silver for a pittance.

A lot of difference in what people think he's worth and what he is really worth.

Figures of £5m are frankly laughable. I get that he is a quality player who's stock is rising, but if he wants off, he is only worth what clubs are prepared to pay.

As things stand, sounds like he will be off for about 2m + add ons.

I'm with Nogbad in hoping other offers come in and drive up the fee.

But that is what he is worth to us and if someone wants him then they will have to come up with a fee that we find acceptable. I find 2 million laughable. Kaka isn't worth 100 million but that is how much ACM want for him. If Man City don't come up with 100 million they wont get him, Same with any team that wants to buy our best player. Maynard wasn't worth 2.25 million but for us to get him that is what we had to pay.

Supposing the rumour is true, which we will probably discover in the upcoming days;

A few points.

surely when we say £2M isn't enough to replace Elliot,

shouldn't we remember that Marvin Elliot himself only cost us £150k?

Granted he has improved darastically since we got him, but shouldn't it be a reminder that you don't have to pay over the odds, in order to find quality?

on the other hand.

when thinking of figures like £2M;

£2M isn't enough to prize away an established name from most likely a bigger club for a quick fix solution to filling the hole that Elliot would leave. We'd be the club in need leaving us little leverage to bargain. What I'm getting at is in terms of finding a replacement, then we could be worse off than having less than £2M, it all depends on how much time our paitience will allow for the replacement to arrive. Chris Eagles e.g.went to Burnley for a million.

What I can be confident of is that GJ will opt for the "wait for the right player to come available for the right price for the benefit of this football club" option.

And in complete honesty, I don't think Elliot, if you consider him as a single comodity un-related to Bristol City football club is worth more than £2.5 - 3M, hence that is as much as we'd get for him. I feel the reason we as fans (myself included) value him as more, is

A) He ticks a lot of boxes on what makes him a crowd pleasing midfielder, getting stuck into a challenge, looks threatening in front of goal, has it in him to score a screamer, looks to give 110% etc.

And B) that without him; our midfield loses what people have described on here as it's heart and engine. We don't have players of similar callibre in order to fill the gap which he would leave. which is more of a statement about the need to bolster our midfield regardless of whether Marvin Elliot plays his football at Ashton Gate or at Molinyeux or wherever else he may end up.

If anything this transfer saga surrounding Elliot should open our eyes to the fact that the midfield is an ever growing cause for concern, as it lacks the sort of depth to be able to cope, should key players like Marvin Elliot leave the club.

On a further hand. Marv could stay. Which would be frickin' awesome.

It's depressing if Marvin really does want to go, and to a club like Wolves of all places, but for people to suggest that we can't stand in his way because of the effect it might have on his performances I don't buy. Firstly I don't see Marvin as a player who gives anything less than 100% in any circumstances even if he does feel we've held him back, but moreover I don't see why granting a player a transfer has to involve accepting ALL bids. If Marvin really wants out, invite him to have his agent organise some Premier League interest or forget about it, why sell him to a club that spends most of its time in the same division as us, if he wants us to not begrudge him a transfer, he can hardly begrudge us a condition on that transfer: no one in the same division. If this is all true, I consider that to be 'meeting him halfway'. So, no to Wolves is the answer from our ambitious management.

Why would Steve L come out and say only a few weeks ago that our best players are not for sale unless a stupid offer comes in. 2m is not a stupid offer do if thats all they are offering then he wont go. If he does go for 2m then Mr L needs to keep it shut in future.

The club wouldnt allow themselves to lose out, which is why players tend to be sold for a bit less than everyone tinks they are worth

...hence the fact that elliot will go for about 2m and then there will loads of typical over reactions from otib forumers, accusing Lansdown of selling the family silver for a pittance.

The club can hold out for a good price, Elliott is on a long contract - at least 18 months left - and we don't lose out by keeping him because we paid sod all for him in the first place.

Any buying club will have to meet the valuation which should be way in excess of the cost of replacement.

We are under no pressure to sell whatsoever and £2m would be a s**t deal, that is no over reaction.

Very disappointing if true, which it would appear to be due to not only the rumours but, perhaps more telling, the lack of challenging by those 'in the know.'

I am firmly of the belief that it benefits no-one to keep a player against his will. It is all very well saying 'we paid peanuts for him so if we lose him for nothing it isnt an issue', but when faced with the prospect of an unhappy and thus most likely under-performing player who eventually leaves on a free, compared to a substantial mark up now there can only be one sensible conclusion.

It would have been nice to see an ounce of loyalty, perhaps a verbal agreement that he could leave in the summer but, presuming its true of course, thats footballers en masse.

All we can do now is barter for as much as possible. Id previously stated that £3.5 million would be my deal, now that Elliot {appears} to have requested a move, I fear we have no option but to settle for less.

Archived