IGNORED

Last Game Of The Season

Guest Shaunyb

I would imagine that the club will take the same stance as previous years - STAY OFF THE PITCH or the players won't re-appear.

...and the same as last year, I would imagine there is always going to be some juvenile idiots who will invade the pitch anyway and spoil it for everyone else.

:laugh:

I would imagine that the club will take the same stance as previous years - STAY OFF THE PITCH or the players won't re-appear.

...and the same as last year, I would imagine there is always going to be some juvenile idiots who will invade the pitch anyway and spoil it for everyone else.

:laugh:

I'll probably get slated for this, but here goes anyway. I couldn't disagree more strongly.

I think the insistence on staying off the pitch AFTER the final whistle when the club has achieved a major victory such as promotion or reaching a final is unnecessary and, indeed, counter-productive for the club.

One of the things that binds a supporter to a club is the shared experience of such moments. Sitting in the stands applauding and watching on while the players walk around a long way away is contrived and, I find, comparatively unemotional even for a long time committed fan like me. I found myself curiously detached from the celebrations on the pitch last time we achieved promotion, and rather disappointed with the celebrations as a result.

By contract, what a moment it was when we got to Wembley in 1986. When the whistle went, everyone went on the pitch. once it was clear there was going to be no silly business, dads and kids (and I include myself aged 15 and my dad in that) clambered over the wall from the Dolman onto the pitch. The players went up in the box, shaking champagne over the fans, singing all the songs and throwing their kit into the crowd. It was an amazing experience, the sort that lives with you a lifetime. I've seen the celebrations after we achieved promotion to the old First Division, and doubtless those lucky enough to be part of them will tell me how much more emotional and memorable that evening was. If we deprive youngsters of such moments, we are reducing their emotional ties with the club and, therefore, the chances of them remaining for a lifetime.

There is surely ABSOLUTELY NO legal reason why the supporters should not be allowed onto the pitch after the game. Once a match has finished, it is surely no longer subject to the law on invading a pitch. Otherwise fans who go on the pitch to watch a Bryan Adams concert could be prosecuted! There is no difference - no match is in progress. Exeter were good enough to allow us to celebrate our LDV Vans win to reach the Millennium Stadium on their pitch, with the players in the box, and those of us who were there remember how fantastic it was to celebrate so closely with the players. Once again, kids were helped onto the pitch by the stewards once the game had finished and it was clear that all we wanted to do was celebrate with our players. Realistically, if we go up against Blackpool there is absolutely no chance of fighting between the fans. There's no history of it and City fans will be concentrating on enjoying the moment. So there is no reason to act as killjoys. Obviously, I'm not a criminal or a hooligan, so if the club decides to strictly enforce the 'stay off the pitch' mentality then I will obey it, disappointed as I will be.

But to those at the club, I would like to make an impassioned plea: Sending the players onto the pitch with the fans remaining in the stands is sterile and staged. I realise that the changing rooms at Ashton Gate are not where they were, but I don't believe the logistics of getting the players up in the box are by any means insurmountable! So for the sake of all us fans, if we do get promotion against Blackpool please, please, please send the players up into the box and instruct the stewards to let young and old onto the pitch once the game has finished to create another of those special, magical and unforgetable moments that make football, and supporting Bristol City, what it is.

I'll probably get slated for this, but here goes anyway. I couldn't disagree more strongly.

I think the insistence on staying off the pitch AFTER the final whistle when the club has achieved a major victory such as promotion or reaching a final is unnecessary and, indeed, counter-productive for the club.

One of the things that binds a supporter to a club is the shared experience of such moments. Sitting in the stands applauding and watching on while the players walk around a long way away is contrived and, I find, comparatively unemotional even for a long time committed fan like me. I found myself curiously detached from the celebrations on the pitch last time we achieved promotion, and rather disappointed with the celebrations as a result.

By contract, what a moment it was when we got to Wembley in 1986. When the whistle went, everyone went on the pitch. once it was clear there was going to be no silly business, dads and kids (and I include myself aged 15 and my dad in that) clambered over the wall from the Dolman onto the pitch. The players went up in the box, shaking champagne over the fans, singing all the songs and throwing their kit into the crowd. It was an amazing experience, the sort that lives with you a lifetime. I've seen the celebrations after we achieved promotion to the old First Division, and doubtless those lucky enough to be part of them will tell me how much more emotional and memorable that evening was. If we deprive youngsters of such moments, we are reducing their emotional ties with the club and, therefore, the chances of them remaining for a lifetime.

There is surely ABSOLUTELY NO legal reason why the supporters should not be allowed onto the pitch after the game. Once a match has finished, it is surely no longer subject to the law on invading a pitch. Otherwise fans who go on the pitch to watch a Bryan Adams concert could be prosecuted! There is no difference - no match is in progress. Exeter were good enough to allow us to celebrate our LDV Vans win to reach the Millennium Stadium on their pitch, with the players in the box, and those of us who were there remember how fantastic it was to celebrate so closely with the players. Once again, kids were helped onto the pitch by the stewards once the game had finished and it was clear that all we wanted to do was celebrate with our players. Realistically, if we go up against Blackpool there is absolutely no chance of fighting between the fans. There's no history of it and City fans will be concentrating on enjoying the moment. So there is no reason to act as killjoys. Obviously, I'm not a criminal or a hooligan, so if the club decides to strictly enforce the 'stay off the pitch' mentality then I will obey it, disappointed as I will be.

But to those at the club, I would like to make an impassioned plea: Sending the players onto the pitch with the fans remaining in the stands is sterile and staged. I realise that the changing rooms at Ashton Gate are not where they were, but I don't believe the logistics of getting the players up in the box are by any means insurmountable! So for the sake of all us fans, if we do get promotion against Blackpool please, please, please send the players up into the box and instruct the stewards to let young and old onto the pitch once the game has finished to create another of those special, magical and unforgetable moments that make football, and supporting Bristol City, what it is.

I won't slate you. In fact I agree with you. Was it Wolves who last year on getting promotion to the Premiership all the fans went on the pitch and there was no-one left in the stands.

Whislt I completely understand Redtops point of view,it is only one aspect of the issue.The Police and the club have to make safety an absolute priority.

Masses of fans rushing onto and then milling around the pitch would make it impossible for AG to be secure for the players and the fans and on those grounds fans going on the pitch will not be allowed.

It could also be argued that allowing fans to invade sends out the wrong message and lets not forget that dreadfull day not so long ago when City "fans" rushed onto the pitch and tried to attack the Rovers players.Holloway described that experience as the most frightening of his life.

I don't recall exactly what City's punishment was for that disgrace ( I sure someone will remember) but you can understand why City will take the pitch invasion very seriously and not allow it - rightly so imho.

I know times change, but the Tuesday night we were promoted in 1976 everyone was on the pitch. Officials could see people climbing over fences in preparation, but as long as no one encroached onto the playing surface during the game, it was accepted. 4 days later after the final game v Notts Co, again we were not just tollerated, but allowed on the pitch. Two coppers thought it amusing wheni produced a bottle of champagne from a coat pocket and opened it on the terracing before going onto the pitch. In return I was gracious enough to offer them a swig.

Last time we went up to Div 1, it had all changed, "Stay off the pitch or the players will not be out to perform a lap of honour". It is not a national ruling as others have shown in their postings, some clubs permit this occurrance.

Here at P'boro' it was always permitted after the last game of the season no matter whether the team was promoted, relegated or mid table obscurity. The club realised the fans wanted to thank the players for their efforts and the players would hand their shirts to favoured fans. That only stoppped when Barry Fry took over.

• Admin

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a few thousand on the pitch after the 4-0 victory over Walsall at the end of the 89/90 season, celebrating promotion.

The players came to the directors box and took the applause and celebrations of the crowd, there was no trouble and we even had just about everyone joining in with a rousing chorus of " we all agree, Roger Malone is a ##nker" - HTV weren't popular then either :)

It just isn't the same without being able to celebreate properly. I am 100% behind RedTop.

I actually enjoyed and remember the celebrations when we won at exeter to get to wembley, far far more than i do the dull celebrations when we won promotion last time.

I can't see how anyone can take any action against the club, the suspended fine from the rovers debacle has long gone, and if they do us then they will have to do a lot of other clubs, WBA will be on their pitch after the forest game, i would assume if Norwich have their last home game today they may well be on the pitch. Crewe have already said their fans are allowed on the pitch after their last home game.

Some of the best tings i have seen in football have involved mass pitch invasions, when Man C went back to the prem after coming down to division 2 , the fans at maine road poured onto the pitch, that was an incredible sight to see on the telly.

If we go up then i would hope that the club allow us to celebrate as it should be, suerly they could get the players in the directors box to be applauded.

Just a thought after Spuds Post, Barnsleys last Home game tommorow, after battling Administration and a Poor Board for awhile, i think they will be celebrating that. Maybe a pitch Invasion from them. Remember Stoke at Home 2 Seasons ago(Liam the Brat Boys Debut) when both sets of fans ran on the pitch and shook hands?

Maybe the same tommorow. If it does happen, i know that Tommycidered wont be 1st on :)

of course i will go on the pitch in celebration if we gain automatic promotion to division 1. sod waiting for the players to do a lap of honour, it needs to be spontaneous for it to be unforgetable and magical. not one orcastrated by the club. it would be the highlight of my city supporting days. anyway i would put my house on the players still coming out for a lap of honour after we had got off the pitch or going up to the directors box.

Please steve l and colin s if you're reading this, please don't spoil what could be a magical day!

Archived