IGNORED

Can We Still Make The Play-offs?

reddogkev

Its still a tall order, of course it is.But as Hull proved last season, anyone can come from anywhere at this stage of the season. Look at the teams above us who have lost, Palace, Preston, Burnley, Sheff Utd, Wolves(haha ), it just shows that this league is again like last year a fairly tight league and anyone on their day can win. GJ was completely correct when he said this is a very important phase of the season for us, we've had an upturn in performance before today and had some good results (watford, palace, and the comeback against wolves) and now we have a stretch of games against teams who are below us in the table. If a team is going to make a Hull like surge up the table, then i think we have a fair shout to be that team.

As i say, its still a tall order but some people have said on here that its time maybe to change a few things, try a new approach, give some players who don't feature anymore (DN, LT, etc etc) a chance, etc, etc, and i personaly think thats madness to suggest we are at that stage in the season where we should be resigned to finishing mid-table and therefore we should try out new things or upset the current momentum with team changes. Especially now that we have hit a bit of form. There is a good chance, more of a chance, that we wont make the play offs' but i just don't see that its time to accept or believe that just yet. Lets see in 8 or so games time, then we will have a real sence of whether we have a chance or not.

I'm a little surprised, not by negativity on here, as fair enough its more realism, that is being displayed, as its a big ask to get to the play offs, BUT WE'RE BRISTOL CITY WE ALWAYS BELIEVE, corny? maybe, but why not. We have a chance, a decent one, not a great one, but whilst its a decent one I'm all for being positive. Hull will be glad they didnt give up, at this stage of the season last year, they will be pleased they didnt feel they were 2 or 3 players short, or that they were playing the wrong players in the wrong formation with the wrong tactics. Had they done any of the above, maybe they would not have 'BELIEVED', and maybe they would not have been playing in the Premier League this year.

Everyone has their right to an opinion, and none of us on here are such footballing geniuses to conclude that we are right and others wrong. But for the end of the season, i'd rather see that energy put towards being positive and giving the lads the best support fans can give them. Like it not, agree with it or not, the likes of Lee Trundle, and David Noble are not going to play much, if any, part in the end of this season, i think its time to forget about them(for the time being) and concentrate on the lads that are going to play and can make a difference. Like LJ or hate him, he IS going to play the majority of games, agree with him playing or not, AGAIN, put it to one side and support him. When we have no chance of the play offs, that will be the time to disect why and where it went wrong, untill then the players who do play and give it thier all deserve the best support they can be given. Before anyone says it, I'm not saying those who disagree with selection, formation etc don't support the team however i do think if the grievences can be put aside for this late push, then surely the atmosphere is going to be better and more positive, and it can help.

I agree, we're too far off now

WHAT? :disapointed2se: Are you kiddin' me?

As much as I hate to bring up Hull City on this site, their exit velocity at the end of last season proves that the dream is VERY MUCH still alive. See below:

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/hull-city/2007-2008

C'mon sing it like you mean it: "We're Bristol City, we always believe......"

:englandsmile4wf:

WHAT? :disapointed2se: Are you kiddin' me?

As much as I hate to bring up Hull City on this site, their exit velocity at the end of last season proves that the dream is VERY MUCH still alive. See below:

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/hull-city/2007-2008

C'mon sing it like you mean it: "We're Bristol City, we always believe......"

:englandsmile4wf:

With 18 games left, like us, hull last season were 11th and on 41 points.We are 12th and on 38. So we are three points worse off, however Hull finished 3rd and on 75 points, so if we had the same return as they did from the last 18 then we would have 72 points, which would most likely get you into the play offs, it would have got 5th last season.

To match Hull's finish last season we would require 10 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats. Tough, undoubtably, possible? YES....We really could and should have two of those wins within the next week.

The fact that we are now only 7 pts off of the top 6 is exciting, and suddenly the play-offs don't appear out of reach - especially considering last night's results, like Donnie beating Sheff Utd Away. This does show that anything can and probably will happen.

The next 2 home games are massive - and if we do grab 6 pts, our confidence will be sky high and I think quite a few teams will suddenly become very worried about us repeating last season's feat.

This second season is proving to be very entertaining indeed.

The fact that we are now only 7 pts off of the top 6 is exciting, and suddenly the play-offs don't appear out of reach - especially considering last night's results, like Donnie beating Sheff Utd Away. This does show that anything can and probably will happen.

The next 2 home games are massive - and if we do grab 6 pts, our confidence will be sky high and I think quite a few teams will suddenly become very worried about us repeating last season's feat.

This second season is proving to be very entertaining indeed.

I think Beattie will be a big loss to the Blades. For some reason I am never convinced by their manager either so I wouldn't be surprise to see them fall away.

In all honesty the best I can see is that this season will end up similar to GJ's 1st - we put on a good run & almost make the top 6, but just leave ourselves too much to do.

With 18 games left, like us, hull last season were 11th and on 41 points.We are 12th and on 38. So we are three points worse off, however Hull finished 3rd and on 75 points, so if we had the same return as they did from the last 18 then we would have 72 points, which would most likely get you into the play offs, it would have got 5th last season.

To match Hull's finish last season we would require 10 wins, 4 draws and 4 defeats. Tough, undoubtably, possible? YES....We really could and should have two of those wins within the next week.

I can't remember whether their upsurge came about following reinforcement in the last January window - can anyone recall?

Archived