IGNORED

Can We Still Make The Play-offs?

reddogkev

Now we're coming (slowly) towards the end of January, what do you all think our chances are of finishing in the play-offs?

I would have to say no chance - our squad is now playing pretty well which means we should finish in the middle of the pile which is ok by me, but I don't think its strong enough to challenge top end.

If GJ strengthens where its needed this month and they bed in quickly though then who knows.?

As others have already said its all about momentum as Sunderland, Palace and Hull have proved in recent seasons. IMO we don't score enough goals to make a sustained challenge so will have to do it with narrow victories. I can see Maynard getting a few more this season but who else. Top 10 would be satisfactory.

Making the play offs is obviously the aim but would we want to win them? Of course we would but how many of the current side would be playing come August, probably only 2 or 3 would be worthy of a Prem place. Basso (on his best form), Marv and possibly Maynard, the others would either be gone or become bit part players. Thats of course assuming we can invest to radically improve the team.

I would prefer consolidated progress over the next 18 months so we are then an established top 6 team who can challenge for the PREM every year and make a decent fist of it if we reach the promised land!

:englandsmile4wf:

We are at or near 10 points from the play off situation. We have to win those 10 points and the teams 3-6 have to lose at least 10 points at the same time. Unlikely given the time span. Could be an outside chance, but we would have to rely on other teams falling into a hole and our midfield suddenly becoming goal scoring, goal assisting players which currently they are not.

Thats all to consider !

As previously stated, a month ago, anywhere between mid league and scraping into the playoffs would be a plus for GJ. The limited budget and squad offer him a limited league position.

Its a building season sports fans, get with the plan.

Not quite true sir... we do not need all 4 teams to drop those ten points.. one of them will do. What will be as important though is for us to outperform not only those guys but also ALL of the teams above us. We have about 20 games left or 60 points on offer. we probably need more points than 6th place last year so somewhere around 77 points might just be enough. thats 43 more points out of 60. That sounds impossible to me. but one never knows. We can afford to lose perhaps only 3-4 more matches and basically win the rest. always believe!!

I think we have ever chance of getting into the play offs this season. All we need to do is put a run together and we can do it. Palace came from nowhere last year and got themselves into the play offs. So I don't see why we couldn't do the same. We have enough good players to do it, and if we can play like we did against Portsmouth were for the best part we played them off the pitch, and then finish the chances we get, we'll beat most teams in this league and be in a good position for the playoffs.

I think we are still struggling with the same problems as last year and are not creating enough good chances to score.

With our piss poor home record ( 3 wins from 14) and tough away matches to come at Brum,Reading,Derby,QPR and a decent Swansea side not to mention Burnley. No , we'll finsih mid-table.

Be delighted to be proved wrong though.

To be honest, I think we need to settle and strengthen our position in the championship. I wouldn't mind betting that SL knows our weak spots and with his ambition has a 3 year plan to get into the Prem. There is no point spending 'willy - nilly" in order to clinch a spot with the likes of Wolves, Brum, Reading etc. this year.

I would say the club (GJ and SL) have a plan to strengthen over the next 2 summers, keep Maynard, bring on the younger players i.e. young wilson, Akinde, ribiero , bring on some young midfield talent then create the challenge.. :city:

Depends on the results in our next few games, playing teams around and below us in the next 6 games. Come out of that with a decent haul of points and we could be in with a shout. :dunno:

This is exactly why the play offs were introduced. Instead of the season petering out for most clubs, despite being say 10th in February, you can still reach 6th and therefore possible promotion. As interest is maintained, the casual spectators continue attending so it maintains income levels for clubs.

For me the fun is seeing if we can get a few wins in to make up fore our previous shortcomings, and watch us creep up the league.

If we'd have lost our last few games this would be a 'will be be relegated' thread.

At this stage in the season, being midtable means you can look both ways. I enjoy it later in the season when the calculators(+BBC Predictor) come out to see what's possible with 6, 5, 4 games left.

My own opinion and hope is that yes, we can certainly have a go but it will of course depend on the performances of the teams in 1st6th. See them win most of thier games and no-one else will stand a chance.

For the record I'm with Obama on this one:

YES WE CAN!

awoooooooogggaaa!!

No. We're two or three players short and as soon as we get into February the inconsistency we had before the last couple of games will return because the fundamental problems that cause it are still there.

unfortunately I'd totally agree with that.

based on the manager and chairman's pre-season comments......this season is a MASSIVE disapointment.

if the signings that have been needed all season (bar the last month when the squad all knew the transfer window was coming) aren't made, we will barely make top 10, let alone top 6

Not quite true sir... we do not need all 4 teams to drop those ten points.. one of them will do. What will be as important though is for us to outperform not only those guys but also ALL of the teams above us. We have about 20 games left or 60 points on offer. we probably need more points than 6th place last year so somewhere around 77 points might just be enough. thats 43 more points out of 60. That sounds impossible to me. but one never knows. We can afford to lose perhaps only 3-4 more matches and basically win the rest. always believe!!

Not quite true sir !!!!!

Brum in 3rd spot are 17 points ahead, Cardiff in 6th are 10 points ahead. Let me be specific, City on 35 points need to make up 10 points on Cardiff in 6th position. Last season we were averaging 1.7 points for our blocks of 10, this season its closer to 1.3 points. Thats a loss of 4 points every 10 games on last season. Imo we need to average around 2 points a game from now to contend for a play off situation.

Your optomistic thought of 77 points is something that GJ would grab right now and so would most of the forum. Given the current budget and squad, I consider 77 points highly unlikely. I do however respect that its your opinion.

I feel we have a chance we carry on from a good run from now otherwise will just consildate in the league. Although I do have a funny feeling we might sign a few prem youngsters seeing as GJ tried for a few last season (Manciene, frazer Cambell) we all know if the right play comes available at the right time GJ will go for it here's hoping :fingerscrossed:

Personally I've been impressed with our last two games. The amount of passion and effort shown is what we had last year. We had a bit of a shaky first quarter to the season but if the belief and confidence is there then I don't see why not. We we're overly confident at the start of the season with players (and management) talking about automatic promotion. I think that's where the passion dropped a bit and effected consistency. We also need a more consistent line-up. Swapping players around too much can upset players.

BELIEVE

It appears that the general consensus is that the playoffs will remain out of our reach this time, except for the odd optimistic view that we can still achieve a top-6 spot; however a look at the next few games does paint a different story:

Plymouth (A), Barnsley (h) Charlton (h) Norwich (a) Southampton (h) Doncaster (a)

None of those games stick out as overly difficult matches, and I would not be surprised if we win at least 4 of those games (coupled with 2 draws perhaps?) which would give us 14 pts.

14 pts would represent a very healthy return, and one that would probably hoist us up to 8th / 9th in the table, then it is the tasty matter of Reading away - which is going to be a beast of a game.

So it is clear that the next 6 games are vital - and all winnable in their own right!

It appears that the general consensus is that the playoffs will remain out of our reach this time, except for the odd optimistic view that we can still achieve a top-6 spot; however a look at the next few games does paint a different story:

Plymouth (A), Barnsley (h) Charlton (h) Norwich (a) Southampton (h) Doncaster (a)

None of those games stick out as overly difficult matches, and I would not be surprised if we win at least 4 of those games (coupled with 2 draws perhaps?) which would give us 14 pts.

14 pts would represent a very healthy return, and one that would probably hoist us up to 8th / 9th in the table, then it is the tasty matter of Reading away - which is going to be a beast of a game.

So it is clear that the next 6 games are vital - and all winnable in their own right!

The upflip of that is if we don't get many points out of those games the question may change to can we avoid the drop. Big games in my opinion, more so than the Reading game.

If we are within 10 points of 6th place at the end of the season that's job done for me, we have too much to make up already and haven't shown at any time this season that we are more than a midtable side, bar one or two performances.

Some rebuilding needed in the summer and maybe then we can edge closer to the playoffs next season.

I don't know but as long as we play out the season in a generally optimisic fashion that'll re-breed hope and that's all we can realistically expect.

Keep going as we have over the last month and that's all good, revert to the post Christmas showing and people'll get all pissy again.

Guest ashtonyate

most season's a team comes from no where and end's up in the play off's, and a team in mid table end's up in a relegation battle i hope its the former not the latter but the jury is out at the moment i think.

Now we're coming (slowly) towards the end of January, what do you all think our chances are of finishing in the play-offs?

It seems a big ask, because you've got to think that wolves, reading, brummie will take the top 3, then the next batch of clubs, i.e, Sheff Utd, Cardiff, Burnley, Preston all seem to be on bloody good form this season, and much stronger propositions then last year.

All things considered, I think a mid-table finish was always on the cards this season, and it begs the question, will we ever reach such a lofty height as last season again? The fact that we were so close to the prem, still blows my mind whenever I think back to it.

Because of our shock factor last season (the new boys doing so well) and the fact that the standard of the league was not so great, I feel it is going to be hard for us to force our way back into the top 6 for a good few years, and the key question is, can we be content with remaining an established championship team - is this the pinnacle for BCFC?

It is possible but it will be hard to do so. Ten points and eight teams to be leapfrogged. One the positives we are hard to beat and if we can hit some form we will close in.

I stick to my prediction of top half. 6st to 12th position would be a great achievement in our second season.

Not quite true sir !!!!!

Brum in 3rd spot are 17 points ahead, Cardiff in 6th are 10 points ahead. Let me be specific, City on 35 points need to make up 10 points on Cardiff in 6th position. Last season we were averaging 1.7 points for our blocks of 10, this season its closer to 1.3 points. Thats a loss of 4 points every 10 games on last season. Imo we need to average around 2 points a game from now to contend for a play off situation.

Your optomistic thought of 77 points is something that GJ would grab right now and so would most of the forum. Given the current budget and squad, I consider 77 points highly unlikely. I do however respect that its your opinion.

Not quite sure what you are saying NOT QUITE TRUE SIR about... I am correct when i say we do not need all of the 3 through 6 to fail. I am also correct when i say we also have to consider all of the teams above us. I also state, if you read my riposte correctly, that I felt it was a 'near impossible' chance to get into the play offs or, by definition, my imaginary 77pts. Contrary to your remarks.. i am not commenting on my optimism and thoughts that we will get there merely my desire.

Here is another thought.. and by jove its a straw clutcher... the top 3 are romping away with it and we want that to be accentuated.. because it drags all other teams down and perhaps gives us a mildy better chance of getting into the top 6. Perhaps, therefore, 70 pts might be enough.. we will just have to wait until May 5th.

3 things might give us a glimmer of hope.

1. Marvin was not at his best for most of the first half of the season and he makes a huge difference to the side. He now apears to be back firing on all cylinders, and once transfer speculation is out fo the way and he is properly focussed for the rest of the seaosn he wil make a huge difference.

2. For the first half of the season we did not have a settled defence. Bradley was unsettled, and with McCombe, Carey and McAllister injured, we were often having to make do and mend. Bradley has sorted himself out, and if the others are back/getting back to fitness then we might start to see the solid defence we had last season.

3. Probably the most important of the 3. Maynard has started to get into scoring form and playing confidently. If he can sustain this then it might make all the difference if the rest of the team think we have always got a chance of getting a goal instead of always praying that we can hang on to a 0-0 or a 1 goal lead.

Mathematically it's possible and if the three things above all come together it's do-able. Realistically I have always thought that this season was about midtable security and I think we have just a bit to much to do.

3 things might give us a glimmer of hope.

1. Marvin was not at his best for most of the first half of the season and he makes a huge difference to the side. He now apears to be back firing on all cylinders, and once transfer speculation is out fo the way and he is properly focussed for the rest of the seaosn he wil make a huge difference.

2. For the first half of the season we did not have a settled defence. Bradley was unsettled, and with McCombe, Carey and McAllister injured, we were often having to make do and mend. Bradley has sorted himself out, and if the others are back/getting back to fitness then we might start to see the solid defence we had last season.

3. Probably the most important of the 3. Maynard has started to get into scoring form and playing confidently. If he can sustain this then it might make all the difference if the rest of the team think we have always got a chance of getting a goal instead of always praying that we can hang on to a 0-0 or a 1 goal lead.

Mathematically it's possible and if the three things above all come together it's do-able. Realistically I have always thought that this season was about midtable security and I think we have just a bit to much to do.

Not quite as optimistic as you, those 3 points just give me reasonable reassurance City won't be scrapping it out at the bottom for Championship survival.

I don't think we have too much to worry about in that direction, but would see it as equally as likely as a surge into the playoffs.

Fairly dull middling mediocrity, just for once, for City.

At this moment in time,we are 10 points of the play offs.So yes we can make it.We have 19 games left( i think!),so its a matter of gaining roughly a point every 2 games on those above us.Granted there are others above and around us who could be saying the same.I think our next 6 games are crucial,they are all definitely winnable.If we can gain that sort of momentum,confidence will be high and then who knows? Onwards and upwards.ALWAYS BELIEVE!!!

Obviously, mathematics show that we do have a chance of reaching the play-offs however I agree with some of the posts with regards to the fact that these next few games with the teams around/below us are vital and they will give us fans a sure indicator of where we can expect to be come end of season.

Put it this way, get close to maximum points from these next batch of games and we won't be too far off. Wins breed confidence and belief so if we can battle through tonight, put one over Barnsley, Norwich and Southampton then who knows.

Agreed, our squads golf bag is short of a few clubs and the league itself seems to have become a lot tougher but we can do it.

Roll on Plymouth :fingerscrossed:

Clevedon Red

Archived