IGNORED

Can We Still Make The Play-offs?

reddogkev

Now we're coming (slowly) towards the end of January, what do you all think our chances are of finishing in the play-offs?

It seems a big ask, because you've got to think that wolves, reading, brummie will take the top 3, then the next batch of clubs, i.e, Sheff Utd, Cardiff, Burnley, Preston all seem to be on bloody good form this season, and much stronger propositions then last year.

All things considered, I think a mid-table finish was always on the cards this season, and it begs the question, will we ever reach such a lofty height as last season again? The fact that we were so close to the prem, still blows my mind whenever I think back to it.

Because of our shock factor last season (the new boys doing so well) and the fact that the standard of the league was not so great, I feel it is going to be hard for us to force our way back into the top 6 for a good few years, and the key question is, can we be content with remaining an established championship team - is this the pinnacle for BCFC?

I think we are 2 or 3 players short for the play-offs this or any other season. Last year we over achieved by hard graft and suprise but this term teams have found us out and are able to counter us, I think it's called giving us respect. But I believe we will get those missing "clubs in the bag" as GJ calls them but maybe not this window. We spent years dreaming of being in this division so a season or two before we are really able to challenge the likes of Wolves Reading etc so it isn't a lot to ask to be patient. SL wants Premier League football for the City and I like to think he's a man who gets what he wants eventually.

I think we are 2 or 3 players short for the play-offs this or any other season. Last year we over achieved by hard graft and suprise but this term teams have found us out and are able to counter us, I think it's called giving us respect. But I believe we will get those missing "clubs in the bag" as GJ calls them but maybe not this window. We spent years dreaming of being in this division so a season or two before we are really able to challenge the likes of Wolves Reading etc so it isn't a lot to ask to be patient. SL wants Premier League football for the City and I like to think he's a man who gets what he wants eventually.

I agree about SL - the man is incredibly successful and determined, I wonder if everything will 'miraculously' come good the year before we are due to move to our new stadium, and our first season in the prem would be with BCFC in our new ground, with a capacity 30,000 crowd cheering us on?

All depends on who Johnson brings in before the window closes. With right players City would have a reasonable chance of the play-offs but unless he brings in an influencial, quality midfielder and defender then City's chances would be reduced to a long shot.

As it stands City don't have enough quality players to reach the top six.

I think if we don't get a minimum 7 points from our next three games, that will have answered your question.

However a couple of wins and who knows what that will do for confidence. At this point last year, Hull were 11 points off of relegation - who would have believed that they would be beating Arsenal 10 months or whatever later....?

Now we're coming (slowly) towards the end of January, what do you all think our chances are of finishing in the play-offs?

It seems a big ask, because you've got to think that wolves, reading, brummie will take the top 3, then the next batch of clubs, i.e, Sheff Utd, Cardiff, Burnley, Preston all seem to be on bloody good form this season, and much stronger propositions then last year.

All things considered, I think a mid-table finish was always on the cards this season, and it begs the question, will we ever reach such a lofty height as last season again? The fact that we were so close to the prem, still blows my mind whenever I think back to it.

Because of our shock factor last season (the new boys doing so well) and the fact that the standard of the league was not so great, I feel it is going to be hard for us to force our way back into the top 6 for a good few years, and the key question is, can we be content with remaining an established championship team - is this the pinnacle for BCFC?

It really depends on the next 6 games. We have a good record against lower down sides this term and we will need to take a minimum of 15 points IMO from those games and even then we will still need to maintain a high level of form throughout the rest of the campaign. If we are still 6 or more points behind after this run of games I think you can forget it as I can't see us picking up the necessary wins at the like of Brum and Reading.

The bookies have us as a 20-25/1 shot to be promoted which would equate to 5-6/1 to make the playoffs which seems about right to me.

y prediction would be a better 2nd half of the year and a very respectable 8th-10th place finish.

We are at or near 10 points from the play off situation. We have to win those 10 points and the teams 3-6 have to lose at least 10 points at the same time. Unlikely given the time span. Could be an outside chance, but we would have to rely on other teams falling into a hole and our midfield suddenly becoming goal scoring, goal assisting players which currently they are not.

Thats all to consider !

As previously stated, a month ago, anywhere between mid league and scraping into the playoffs would be a plus for GJ. The limited budget and squad offer him a limited league position.

Its a building season sports fans, get with the plan.

I think if we don't get a minimum 7 points from our next three games, that will have answered your question.

However a couple of wins and who knows what that will do for confidence. At this point last year, Hull were 11 points off of relegation - who would have believed that they would be beating Arsenal 10 months or whatever later....?

This is a good point. Phil Brown was very shrewd in the transfer and loan market last January, something I feel Johnson is not capable of doing

What is the point in going down to the gate if you don't believe we can do it? We still have to play the clubs above us and they all still have to play each other. Were in a slightly worse position than Hull were in but I firmly believe are bad patch is over and we are currently starting of our own run. All teams have a bad patch its just those up there haven't had there's yet whilst we have.

What is the point in going down to the gate if you don't believe we can do it? We still have to play the clubs above us and they all still have to play each other. Were in a slightly worse position than Hull were in but I firmly believe are bad patch is over and we are currently starting of our own run. All teams have a bad patch its just those up there haven't had there's yet whilst we have.

Its not about "not believing", or being pessimistic...its about being realistic. My heart says were going to go on a run and start turning in gritty performances like last season, and sneak in the back door....my head says, we wont, we will finish mid table.

Realistically you have to say its the latter! Yes, disappointing compared to last seasons dream season, but still a good season if we come mid table and consolidate.

This season there seems to be a lot more quality in this league, teams that spent most of last season trying to punch their way into the play-offs (Cardiff, Sheff U, Wolves etc), have all got their acts together now when it comes to playing teams like ourselves, their quality is shining through

I would love to get in the Play-offs, but will be just as happy as stay in this league

All depends on who Johnson brings in before the window closes. With right players City would have a reasonable chance of the play-offs but unless he brings in an influencial, quality midfielder and defender then City's chances would be reduced to a long shot.

As it stands City don't have enough quality players to reach the top six.

But given the similarity of the squad shouldn't that have been true last season? BTW I don't think we will make it now.

But given the similarity of the squad shouldn't that have been true last season? BTW I don't think we will make it now.

Last season was a strange season in the Championship! So many teams under performed, a good 5/6 teams! Cardiff, Sheff Utd, Wolves, QPR to name a few.

This season its a little different, quite a few more teams have got their acts together

Yes we can..........

No we won't!

For all the reasons ststed above

What worries me is if WE can all see where & why we don't have the quality to achieve it why cant those who are able to do something about it?

Or if they can (which surely is the case in point) why haven't they?

Unlike a lot of others it appears ...I am not happy with halting our progress and treading water mid table with the likes of Coventry / Norwich etc just because (imo) we wont get rid of old favourites and bring in the quality required to keep challenging,

After all if we did happen to achieve Premier League status we would pretty much have to get 8 or 9 new players anyway so why keep up the loyalty to old faces now?

Not sure I follow this - you still go to the gate every week even if we were relegated - the point is we/you support City so that's why you go every week?

Play Offs - no I don't think we can do it but would be happy to be proved wrong - so long as we don't hit a bad patch and get dragged into a sort of relegation scrap - mid table will do now this year

We certainly can - being positive with the players having regained their confidence and a more settled system there is absolutely no reason we should not go on a good run that can see us into the play off places. won't be easy but it is for sure possible.

Remember Hull came 3rd last year , they didnt just 'scrape' the play offs. As long as your within 9 points of that 6th place with 5 games to go your in with a shout! I believe the play offs are well acheivable particularly now weve got marvin and bradders in the january transfer window .then theres maynard ,sproule and skusee who are all playing like new signings of late.None of this was jelling in the first half of the season.As i said five weeks ago BACK US NOW!(admittedly before the burnley game when we lost although with improved performance). 57 points to play for.........thats 92 in total........s**t!......we could win the league!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a very tight division in which every team is capable of beating one another so if we make a couple of shrewd signings by the end of January, and continue playing in the way we have been then why not? Anything is possible in football!

I think realistically though, we'd all be happy with a top half finish and a run of positive performances in the remainder of the season.

Its a very tight division in which every team is capable of beating one another so if we make a couple of shrewd signings by the end of January, and continue playing in the way we have been then why not? Anything is possible in football!

I think realistically though, we'd all be happy with a top half finish and a run of positive performances in the remainder of the season.

Every single word of that is correct!

Looking at our remaining home games it would be very possible to win all of them IMO, we have played all the tuffies so to speak at home (Reading Brum sheff U Wolves etc).

If we can then nick a few wins here and there away i think we have a decent chance of doing what Hull did last year.

No, the players who might make a difference - Noble, Trundle, even some would say Carle, aren't featuring anymore and until City sign similar potential game changers we will continue to be a mid table team.

We've got an abundance of whole hearted triers who will get us so far - and comfortably maintain our Championship status - but we have nothing special to challenge for the top 6.

Definitely not play-offs, 12th - 14th finish for me without signings that make a real difference.

Archived