IGNORED

Mcallister - Shockingly Bad.

Robbored

Sorry to be negative after a win at AG but just how many times did McAllister give the ball away tonight? His distribution was shockingly bad. Not only could not find a team mate more than 10 yards away, he couldn't keep the ball in play when trying to cross or play a forward ball. His distribution was dire.

Sadly tonight was not just a poor one off game, he's the same virtually every match. Its predictable and becoming laughable.

How does this bloke get into the Scottish squad? They must be desperately short of left backs.

Sorry to be negative after a win at AG but just how many times did McAllister give the ball away tonight? His distribution was shockingly bad. Not only could not find a team mate more than 10 yards away, he couldn't keep the ball in play when trying to cross or play a forward ball. His distribution was dire.

Sadly tonight was not just a poor one off game, he's the same virtually every match. Its predictable and becoming laughable.

How does this bloke get into the Scottish squad? They must be desperately short of left backs.

Another gem from Robbored.

I am not saying you are wrong Robb nor am i saying you are right... its simply another Gem :)

Weaker than Orr? I don't think so, both the same and both need replacing if we are to progress, same as a certain pair of midfielders that will go unmentioned

have to disagree on Orr. he can easily step up to the Prem for my money.

I am surprised also macalister had such a poor game tonight.. he does, admittedly, put in some erratic performances but i have also seen him put in some real corkers. The criticism all round is way too harsh in my book.. we won for goodness sake and, lately, we keep winning. nuff said. good night.

have to disagree on Orr. he can easily step up to the Prem for my money.

I am surprised also macalister had such a poor game tonight.. he does, admittedly, put in some erratic performances but i have also seen him put in some real corkers. The criticism all round is way too harsh in my book.. we won for goodness sake and, lately, we keep winning. nuff said. good night.

Orr is just as bad. passing is shocking and the only reason people rate him so much is that he always looks like he is winning the ball, mainly cos he's always giving it away. Players needed in both full backs, both wide positions, and in central midfield.

When we go back to playing teams above us these positions will be exposed, 12th is where we'll finish, mediocre and a step back. Before anyone starts whinging on about where we were x amount of years ago, previous counts for sweet FA, now and the future matters and we are behind from 12 months ago.

I seem to have a vague memory about promises of chasing a top 2 place...HA

Good 2nd half tonight, BTW

Orr is just as bad. passing is shocking and the only reason people rate him so much is that he always looks like he is winning the ball, mainly cos he's always giving it away. Players needed in both full backs, both wide positions, and in central midfield.

When we go back to playing teams above us these positions will be exposed, 12th is where we'll finish, mediocre and a step back. Before anyone starts whinging on about where we were x amount of years ago, previous counts for sweet FA, now and the future matters and we are behind from 12 months ago.

I seem to have a vague memory about promises of chasing a top 2 place...HA

Good 2nd half tonight, BTW

Orr is as a dependable player as they come and doesn't deserve the stick he gets. Back up is needed but we don't have it at the moment so they play.

Not a step back at all,mediocre? mediocre is called relegation. This division is stronger than last season, the top teams are that much stronger in terms of personell and the promoted teams are making a decent fist of it. Plus there are teams doing a "Bristol City" saying a big "what do you know?" to critics by doing so well.

Anyway, the season is until May not tomorrow so who knows where we end up.

I bet every team hopes/promises a top 2 finish.

I have always tried to keep my mouth shut about our left back, because I don't see as many games as most people but I don't think I've seen him play well yet. Seeing he has not much stick on here I thought he must have something but it's defiantly not his passing.

Orr is as a dependable player as they come and doesn't deserve the stick he gets. Back up is needed but we don't have it at the moment so they play.

Not a step back at all,mediocre? mediocre is called relegation. This division is stronger than last season, the top teams are that much stronger in terms of personell and the promoted teams are making a decent fist of it. Plus there are teams doing a "Bristol City" saying a big "what do you know?" to critics by doing so well.

Anyway, the season is until May not tomorrow so who knows where we end up.

I bet every team hopes/promises a top 2 finish.

I agree, man for man Birmingham and Reading are surely stronger than Hull and Stoke, although their performances in the PL don't seem to bear this out, Forest, Doncaster and definitely Swansea are better than Colchester and S****horpe, Wolves have raised their game significantly, Sheffield United didn't have Bryan Robson for the 1st 6 months hence they could start with a competent coach, Palace had Warnock and after a slow start are significantly better off than last year, as are Sheff Wed after getting some stability. It is a stronger League, hence why Watford and Charlton, who were high up last year are low down now.

As for Orr, well he was the right back of the season last season in the Championship so he must have been doing something right!

I think Jamie McCallister is a pretty decent left back at this level (infact i am happy with our whole first choice back 4 and goalie)

He did have a shocker tonight though, i didnt see him complete a pass until about 80 mins. whether it was a simple 10 yard ball or a cross it just wasnt happening for him.

Hopefully it was just a particularly off night for him

Before anyone starts whinging on about where we were x amount of years ago, previous counts for sweet FA, now and the future matters and we are behind from 12 months ago.

So which is it? "Previous counts for sweet FA" or "Let's compare ourselves to a previous time"? Or is it "Previous counts for sweet FA unless you want to criticise"? Make your mind up!

Everyone acknowledged that we were punching above our weight last year, many (including myself) would have been happy with survival again this year, and yet we're still making a decent go of it, admittedly with some ropey performances. As far as I can see, the progress continues.

As for Bradders, I don't think it's any real coincidence that his re-emergence in the team coincides with our run of form. He is a battler and lifts those around him with his fighting spirit. He's also a 100%er, and for me, more than makes up for his distribution with his tenacity and aggression and defensive duties.

Well done for coming back into it last night lads.

WHat a silly silly post, McCallister has played very well and once again it is only when he isn't playing that we see what we miss, I have to say I disagree with this post totally!!!!

McAllister is a decent enough defender - its his distribution that is shocking game after game after game. His passing is consistantly poor. I reckon his prozone 'passes completed' must be the lowest in the squad. Last night I'll bet that he completed less than 25% of his passes.It was dreadfull and if you didn't see that last then you couldn't have there.

The problem is that City don't have a alternative.There is no competetion for his place.

The problem is that City don't have a alternative.There is no competetion for his place.

This is half-right. I would hope Ribeiro would be filling that spot by this time next year (I know he played right back against Peterborough, but my understanding is that he can play left-back naturally as well?).

Decision I guess for Gary is whether Fontaine moves to left-back when McCombe is fit. I've not been convinced by Fonts at left-back but, equally, if you're looking for a defender to drop to let McCombe back on, it's not a difficult choice.

That's it, let's not let our current form (16 points out of 18) stop us having a good moan and a go at one of the best players of the last two years.

So just because City a run of good form that means all the players are playing out of their skins? Did you see how poor McAllister's distribution was? or mabe you weren't there.

McCallister is not a bad player, but didn't have a great game last night.

As for Orr, I fail to see after 5 years with us, training every day as a professional footballer that he still cannot pass a ball. All he ever does passing wise is to float a high ball up front that has no pace or direction. What is a forward supposed to do with that?

Bring back Brian Wilson to right back!

This is half-right. I would hope Ribeiro would be filling that spot by this time next year (I know he played right back against Peterborough, but my understanding is that he can play left-back naturally as well?).

Decision I guess for Gary is whether Fontaine moves to left-back when McCombe is fit. I've not been convinced by Fonts at left-back but, equally, if you're looking for a defender to drop to let McCombe back on, it's not a difficult choice.

I don't think for one minute JM is going to walk back into the team. The defence as a whole has been magnificent, I see no room for him except in an injury situation.

Gotta say I agree with you. I was shocked when he got called up, because he was and still is playing very poorly for us....

For the past year I'd say he has been poor. This is why I think left back was the position we desperately need to be looked at in january..... because who else we got to play there? Fonts can do a job, but not more than the odd game.

we only have one left back and one thats not very good at the moment.

McCallister is not a bad player, but didn't have a great game last night.

As for Orr, I fail to see after 5 years with us, training every day as a professional footballer that he still cannot pass a ball. All he ever does passing wise is to float a high ball up front that has no pace or direction. What is a forward supposed to do with that?

Bring back Brian Wilson to right back!

I really hope you're being ironic..........

McCallister was awful last night. The frustrating thing is he is capable of good distribution but for whatever reason he usually fails to produce it.

McCalister was poor last night and has been on pretty much every occasion ive seen him this season.

I'm sorry and don't mean to seem harsh but I fail to see what he offers us in either defence or attack.

Defensively he comes across as rather naive, he was incredibly lucky within the first 5 minutes last night - after winning the ball he attempted to dribble his way out of trouble and when, predictably, he lost possession he pulled his man back, only for the foul to somehow go the other way.

It seems an all too familiar pattern that we play the ball around the back until it reaches McCalister at which point he drills it forward and gives it away.

As reflected in the post I created recently, he wouldn even make my 16 and id imagine Riberio will become a permanent fixture at left back in the early stages of next season.

I always thought McAllister was quality in league one but as has been stated above hes been poor in this division for a season and a half and he's only in the Scotland squad to make up the numbers. The most infuriating thing bout him which he does even more than Orr is the classic curling punt up the pitch which I have never seen anyone latch on to.

for him to remain in the squad, surely the constant hoofing must be because he's been told to?

Thats very unlikely. Johnson does like to encourage proper football and whoooshing the ball aimlessly forward would not be an instruction from him, unless City were chasing the game and had three big blokes up front.

McAllister does it for two reasons imo. He lacks the vision or nouse to play a simple pass and he has an inflated opinion of his own ability to play those long balls.He must think he has the skill of Gerrard or Glen Hoddle despite the fact that he gives the ball away endlessly as a result. Its amazing that he hasn't learnt by now just how awfull his attempts are. You would think that he would have stopped doing it by now.

Thats very unlikely. Johnson does like to encourage proper football and whoooshing the ball aimlessly forward would not be an instruction from him, unless City were chasing the game and had three big blokes up front.

McAllister does it for two reasons imo. He lacks the vision or nouse to play a simple pass and he has an inflated opinion of his own ability to play those long balls.He must think he has the skill of Gerrard or Glen Hoddle despite the fact that he gives the ball away endlessly as a result. Its amazing that he hasn't learnt by now just how awfull his attempts are. You would think that he would have stopped doing it by now.

I agree with what your saying, but his passing and long balls were very good at League one level and he did okay for the first few months in the championship. don't think we should totally write him off - but he definately needs to improve in the coming months or he could/should find himself leaving the club.

I agree with what your saying, but his passing and long balls were very good at League one level and he did okay for the first few months in the championship. don't think we should totally write him off - but he definately needs to improve in the coming months or he could/should find himself leaving the club.

i agree with this. he has obviously underperformed this season in most games. but to write such a good pro off at so easily is unfair IMO. what he really needs is competition and maybe a spell on the sidelines. but for all we know GJ could see Ribs as that competition hence what would be the point in getting another LB in as Ribs will be back next year.

as for orr. his distribution is poor at times, but not always. furthermore he is a superb defender, great tackler, good pace, good engine, good positioning and one of the best full backs in the division and I'm not sure why he some on here don't seem to rate him, for me he could play in the prem. the prem isnt as full of skills merchants as sky would have you beleive. there are many 'athletes' woith little technical ability in there. but everyone see's the game differently i suppose.

Archived