IGNORED

Mcallister - Shockingly Bad.

Robbored

Many overly harsh comments on this thread. Inevitably it will get back to the player. GJ doesn't pick players who fail for want of trying so if McCallister has a bad game (as he did on Tuesday) it's likely to be an issue of confidence rather than complacency or lack of motivation. Unconstructive criticism isn't really going to help him improve and aid our play-off push. GJ is a demanding manager and if a player is performing badly he will tell him and demand more but what he won't do is tell him he is without talent.

Definitely scope for JM to up his game significantly but let's have some perspective. Clean-sheets from the back four have been a mark of our recent run and as someone pointed out JM scores high on assists. The back four have been the backbone of the Club's success in the promotion season and the Championship and the team have tended to look less solid when either of our two regular full-backs or any of the back four - especially Carey - have been missing.

Sure, more competition is a good idea and the two youngsters emerging from the academy will provide that after they both recover from injury. The Scotland call-up might boost McCallisters confidence (at least before he reads this thread!) and it is an accolade for the club. McCallister can look a tidy full-back and, given we aren't going to sign another full-back this season, let's focus on encouraging him to get back to his best form. We are surging towards the play-offs so let's encourage the players and restrict any negativities to constructive criticism. Full-back isn't an easy position to fill - I thought Cole Skuse could play right back with his pace and tackling ability but neither he nor Wilson look comfortable in that role.

Many overly harsh comments on this thread. Inevitably it will get back to the player. GJ doesn't pick players who fail for want of trying so if McCallister has a bad game (as he did on Tuesday) it's likely to be an issue of confidence rather than complacency or lack of motivation. Unconstructive criticism isn't really going to help him improve and aid our play-off push. GJ is a demanding manager and if a player is performing badly he will tell him and demand more but what he won't do is tell him he is without talent.

Definitely scope for JM to up his game significantly but let's have some perspective. Clean-sheets from the back four have been a mark of our recent run and as someone pointed out JM scores high on assists. The back four have been the backbone of the Club's success in the promotion season and the Championship and the team have tended to look less solid when either of our two regular full-backs or any of the back four - especially Carey - have been missing.

Sure, more competition is a good idea and the two youngsters emerging from the academy will provide that after they both recover from injury. The Scotland call-up might boost McCallisters confidence (at least before he reads this thread!) and it is an accolade for the club. McCallister can look a tidy full-back and, given we aren't going to sign another full-back this season, let's focus on encouraging him to get back to his best form. We are surging towards the play-offs so let's encourage the players and restrict any negativities to constructive criticism. Full-back isn't an easy position to fill - I thought Cole Skuse could play right back with his pace and tackling ability but neither he nor Wilson look comfortable in that role.

MORE,MORE.Some sense at last!!!

McCallister is not a bad player, but didn't have a great game last night.

As for Orr, I fail to see after 5 years with us, training every day as a professional footballer that he still cannot pass a ball. All he ever does passing wise is to float a high ball up front that has no pace or direction. What is a forward supposed to do with that?

Bring back Brian Wilson to right back!

Maybe it's just me but I could swear that around 8 weeks ago Brian Wilson proved that he cannot cut it as a full-back at Championship level. I also seem to recall that the re-introduction of the "mercenary" Bradley Orr from Boxing Day has coincided with our back four looking generally solid and our best run of results all season. You know what you are going to get with Orr - solid defending, great first touch and mediocre distribution. Whilst not the perfect player he is far better than any fit alternatives in our squad. And he does play the odd half decent pass and weigh in with the occasional goal too. Not really the mug that some make him out to be.

Its no co-incidence imo that Orr's return to the back four co-incides with City's current run of good form and I take your point about the back four as a unit. However it doesn't alter the fact that despite his defending skills his distribution is woefull every game. That's the point I made at the start of this thread. What I find amazing is that McAllister continues to spray misplaced passes all over the pitch game after game. Imagine how much better City might be if McAllister was able to curtail his 'I'm as skillful as Glen Hoddle' attitude and actually play passes that find a team mate. One thing is for sure - the ball wouldn't back at the City end so quickly.

If this thread does get back to McAllister the maybe it will spur him into trying to prove his critics wrong. I'd love to see him start passing with more accuracy as it would be a great help to the team overall.

Is there no time when everyone can show a bit of optimism towards our team? Or i suppose we could replace half of the team if that would please everyone. Everyone was slagging off Lee Johnson and now hes playing pretty well, although he still has his haters of course - some people can never be happy! Of course if Jamie was really as bad as people are making him, surely they would have just run down the left every time, and won by 5 goals. But they didnt.

McAllister is a decent enough defender - its his distribution that is shocking game after game after game. His passing is consistantly poor. I reckon his prozone 'passes completed' must be the lowest in the squad. Last night I'll bet that he completed less than 25% of his passes.It was dreadfull and if you didn't see that last then you couldn't have there.

The problem is that City don't have a alternative.There is no competetion for his place.

I wasn't even there and I'm happy to take that bet.

Like pretty much anyone in our squad, McAllister could be replaced by a better player. However he is a very decent Championship standard defender and part of one of the best defensive units in the division.

We've been blessed with some very talented left-backs over the past few years: Scott, Barnard, Bell, Brennan* so McAllister has a tough act to follow in that respect, but think back to the players he replaced: Craig Woodman and Scott Golbourne and be glad that we were able to get such a solid player in.

We would not have been promoted without Jamie McAllister and that's a fact. It doesn't mean he's not hit a bad patch now, or that he should never be replaced, but it's important to give him the respect and credit he's due.

*may have been more of a right back but I'm sure he played on the left sometimes

Sorry to be negative after a win at AG but just how many times did McAllister give the ball away tonight? His distribution was shockingly bad. Not only could not find a team mate more than 10 yards away, he couldn't keep the ball in play when trying to cross or play a forward ball. His distribution was dire.

Sadly tonight was not just a poor one off game, he's the same virtually every match. Its predictable and becoming laughable.

How does this bloke get into the Scottish squad? They must be desperately short of left backs.

If truth be known Robbored, this post has nothing to do with McAllisters performance on Tuesday evening. You don't like him.....full stop.

Had it been David Noble, you'd have been on here eulogizing the performance, with your trousers around your ankles :wacko:

Maybe McAllisters distribution was poor this evening, but what chance has he got when you start "slagging" him off in the warm up!! :disapointed2se:

Good performance by everyone today except Jamie McCallister. Got ripped apart by Croft.

I'm afriad that he still a weak link that I hope GJ has noticed.

according to the report on the Norwich site he was at fault for the first goal, headed it back across his own area?

Has been looking shaky it must be said, seems to be a streaky kind of player to me.

according to the report on the Norwich site he was at fault for the first goal, headed it back across his own area?

Has been looking shaky it must be said, seems to be a streaky kind of player to me.

He also gave away the free-kick for the goal too.

I don't often agree with Robbored, but I think he is spot on with this one. Shame because he gives his all and clearly cares- we just need someone better to become a better team I feel.

I don't have strong views about McAllister's quality either way, but a couple of thoughts: -

- maybe his distribution would be better with a confirmed left winger in front of him? So often this season, McIndoe's disappearance from the flanks has given the left back no obvious outlet. The McIndoe problem has been much discussed and a lot of people would agree that an empty space wide left causes an issue.

- I see McAllister as one of the dirtiest, most cynical players we've ever had. His constant niggling isn't what I like to see. If he played like that for the opposition, he'd be taking a lot of flak for it on here. "Professional foul" should be his middle name.

Archived