IGNORED

One Team In Bristol?

myol'man

have you noticed since we've been back in the Championship,

more and more of the national media, and opposition,

have been refering to us 'Bristol' as in this link to the Norwich City site,

http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/NewsDetails...1547633,00.html

Is this a good thing, being regarded as the major football team in Bristol,

or a bad thing, are we our losing our identity?

Discuss

Discuss

Discuss? What, are you on a teacher training course? :icecream:

Here's a mathematics lesson for the Gas - What was once the blue 'half' of Bristol has now become the blue 'one quarter'. :dancing6:

Firstly it is not our correct name. Whether it is disrespectful or not, and i happen to think it is, it is wrong to call us Bristol when that is NOT our name nor our identity. Bristol is the city in which we reside; i am sure Bristol City Council and the Mayor would any way have a dim view of it.

On another angle, by referring to us as plain Bristol it does not distinguish us from bristol rovers.

I have just listened to Bryan Gunn who mentioned us about 4 times and each time he said Bristol City.. well done Gunner.

It is an interesting point you raise because clearly many of us have noticed it. I have to say i cannot remember our team being referred to in the incorrect manner like this before recent times. Is it lazy journalism? ,.... probably.

I give you another example of such laziness... probably the first journalist who perhaps listened to Bush's first press officer wrote down the words 'Guantanamo' and then, many years later during the Obama campaign he or someone, perhaps a journalist first mentioned the words 'closing Guantanamo'... journalists around the globe picked up on it and announced 'when Obama takes office he is going to close Guantanamo' or even 'Guantanamo Bay'...

Nobody did their homework but simply followed the first person who spoke those words. President Obama has NOT signed an edict ordering the closer of Guantanamo. This is a military base covering hundreds of square miles on the eastern end of Cuba. No, he is closing Camp Delta, a prison within Guantanamo.

So, back to your point.. losing identity or not.. it is INCORRECT. and, therefore, by definition a loss of identity and understanding occurs. Journalists need to buck up their ideas but lazy journalism, poor writing and plain ignorant and incorrect spelling is rampant. :disapointed2se:

Discuss? What, are you on a teacher training course? :icecream:

Here's a mathematics lesson for the Gas - What was once the blue 'half' of Bristol has now become the blue 'one quarter'. :dancing6:

if you look from a satellite image of Bristol actually the only area glowing blue is Horfield Road and most of that is probably coppers doing a simultaneous flash on match days.

Discuss

I have heard the gas being described as ''Bristol'' before, so it is just laziness really. It does get on my thrupenny bits though when ignorant TV presenters or commentators do it. Peter Beagrie is the worst culprit for it on Sky. So no, we aren't losing our identity, we are merely victims of utter laziness and ignorance on the part of two bit commentators and website type people.

What annoys me about it this is that you never hear Manchester United or City referred to as 'Manchester' do you? So why us 'Bristol'?

if you look from a satellite image of Bristol actually the only area glowing blue is Horfield Road and most of that is probably coppers doing a simultaneous flash on match days.

:winner_third_h4h: Nice one. Good that you should mention Guantanamo Cuba as our Bristolian pirate ancestors would have known that Cuban coastline well as there was once a rich harvest of Spanish galleons there to plunder. There would have been far more real pirates living in the BCFC catchment area than the Gas catchment area so I'm not even sure why the Gas have 'pirates' as their nickname.

:winner_third_h4h: Nice one. Good that you should mention Guantanamo Cuba as our Bristolian pirate ancestors would have known that Cuban coastline well as there was once a rich harvest of Spanish galleons there to plunder. There would have been far more real pirates living in the BCFC catchment area than the Gas catchment area so I'm not even sure why the Gas have 'pirates' as their nickname.

because they are all a bunch of one armed bandits?

might do a bit of research on that.. i was under the impression most of the pirate vessels were out of London. Brizzle being more for the slave ships into North America... no doubt there were some.

how long ago were you in Havana?

because they are all a bunch of one armed bandits?

might do a bit of research on that.. i was under the impression most of the pirate vessels were out of London. Brizzle being more for the slave ships into North America... no doubt there were some.

how long ago were you in Havana?

THE most famous pirates in the New World were Bristolian. Blackbeard and Captain Woodes-Rogers being two of the most famous Bristolian pirates.

Blackbeard (Edward teach):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbeard

Captain Woodes-Rogers:

http://www.thepirateking.com/bios/rogers_woodes.htm

THE most famous pirates in the New World were Bristolian. Blackbeard and Captain Woodes-Rogers being two of the most famous Bristolian pirates.

Blackbeard (Edward teach):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbeard

Captain Woodes-Rogers:

http://www.thepirateking.com/bios/rogers_woodes.htm

there you go sir.. i'll take a look. thanks.

Discuss

To be perfectly honest this really agitates me. The problem I have is that Manchester CITY are not called Manchester they are called CITY. We are Bristol CITY and hence we should be called CITY not the single "Bristol" that makes us sound like some back water bunch. The same should apply for the other teams (Birmingham and Norwich etc) The Rugby team are called Bristol, we are City. OR easier still call us Bristol City.

Here is the thing though.

The media don't call Plymouth Plmouthy Argyle, Birmingham Birmingham City, Norwich Norwich City, they call them by their first names.

It used to annoy me at first too but as I said, the media only tend to call clubs by their first names on the whole.

you are missing one very simple point sir.. there is no Plymouth Rovers, or Birmingham Athletic or Norwich United.

It goes on all over. The ones I can think of are Notts Forest (they absolutely hate it) and 'The' Arsenal.

But be aware, we will be using the tag 'Bristol' in our lifetimes because the blue few are certs to go bust at some point.

Don't shoot me down for it but i do have a genuine reason for being one... I am an Arsenal 'fan' and i had a season ticket last season and the year before... when we scored we would always sing 1 nil to THE Arsenal... we absolutely love it mate.. so you are wrong on that one.

I am a fan for genuine reasons.. my grandad and his dad had a drapery store on Blackstock Road and actually made the very first corner flags for the club at the start of their time at Highbury some 100 years ago. Most of my Dad's side of the family left London during the blitz and settled in Cornwall.. they all still follow THE Arsenal. Dad, and all us siblings started following the City from the early sixties when we all settled in the area.

you are missing one very simple point sir.. there is no Plymouth Rovers, or Birmingham Athletic or Norwich United.

Birmingham is a 2 team city, but for some reason the main team in Birmingham have a completely off the wall name...naming the 2nd part after a Roman house indeed. :disapointed2se: So I guess they don't haqbe that problem.

It is a tough one....what would you want them referred to as, City?

Birmingham is a 2 team city, but for some reason the main team in Birmingham have a completely off the wall name...naming the 2nd part after a Roman house indeed. :disapointed2se: So I guess they don't haqbe that problem.

It is a tough one....what would you want them referred to as, City?

sorry but you still seem to miss the point.. there is no need to say Birmingham City because there is no other league team with the name Birmingham.

I do not see anything tough about calling us Bristol City.. that is 4 syllables in total.. even journalists and TV presenters can manage that surely?.. I know education has gone to the dogs at state level but come on!

sorry but you still seem to miss the point.. there is no need to say Birmingham City because there is no other league team with the name Birmingham.

I do not see anything tough about calling us Bristol City.. that is 4 syllables in total.. even journalists and TV presenters can manage that surely?.. I know education has gone to the dogs at state level but come on!

Well its all down to two factors.

Firstly, the national media are well aware that if there is a league fixture between Sheffield United/Brum etc and Bristol, there isnt going to be any confusion with the blue few.

Secondly, they arent aware that some City fans hate it.

I personally don't like it, but arent taht arsed at the end of the day

Yes I see your point now and indeed agree with it. and on reflection Bristol City would indeed be preferable.

Do you think it would change if we got to the PL?

Yes I see your point now and indeed agree with it. and on reflection Bristol City would indeed be preferable.

Do you think it would change if we got to the PL?

OK good.

Ref the PL.. perhaps SL might have a quiet word with his mate Scudy and the word might be passed around.. after all.. with so much money involved and licencing and rights of viewing etc there is quite possibly a legal requirement not to mess up. Our games would be beamed across the world... if they continue to call us BRISTOL then before long its not just the UK that is told this its the globe and then its too late!

I suppose the gas might try and sue us and then we advise them that since we would be able to afford the best barrister in the land they might reflect on their action, politely go away and re-name themselves Horfield United... its a crazy thought but then.. its a crazy world!!

Groovy.. girls on a ship back then.

are there any brizzle pubs named after this lot?

Sort of - 'The Volley' Or 'The Naval' - the famous Royal Naval Volunteer in King's Street. It's quite easy to imagine sailors and pirates exchanging tales of far away countries, wars and hardships endured in there. Folklore has it that drinkers were bashed on the head in there and would wake up to find themselves part of the crew of a pirate galley or Royal Navy ship sailing out from Bristol. Hence the pub's name 'Naval Volunteer'.

The rugby club used to / still have? their official name on a small brass plate at the Glos Rd end of the Mem

Bristol Football Club.

They were so named (dunno if they still are) as they were fromed before the split between football & rugby.

Archived